Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Scaly Cloth Scraps - The Grind

Raccoonmancer
Raccoonmancer
✭✭✭
Scaly Cloth Scraps. I'm seeing them in my dreams by now. I'm seeing them everywhere.

But honestly, I can't help but ask the question, who thought it was a good idea to require -50- Scaly Cloth Scraps for a -costume- (Thrafey Debutant Gown) that is practically a cosmetic you're meant to obtain for fun and not kill yourself on the grind?

To elaborate, I'm several hours in on the grind thus far and haven't gotten 10 of them, the abysmal spawn rates of mobs and low enemy count doesn't help either, which further contributes to this grind being even more non rewarding than it had been in the first place. Just imagine, you sit there for a few hours, think to yourself, "YAY! Got 5 Scaly Cloth Scraps." and then look towards the counter of the 45 that you still need and you suddenly feel like wanting to die. (Yes, I know there's plenty of other things to do in the game, but that doesn't change the fact this grind is absurd.)

I remember back in the days of Elsweyr, for example the Peryite Skeevermaster costume or whatever it was called, needed only 10 plague drenched fabrics, which felt fair and fun. Even if this dress required around 15-20, I would do it because it wouldn't be a big deal than. To put into perspective my frustrations even further with this one, imagine that you and a friend want to get it. That means you require at least 100 Scaly Cloth Scraps and no way in bloody hell I'm sitting in the Silent Halls for at least a hundred hours -if- we get lucky.

At the end of the day, it really feels as if you're just trying to extend playtime of players with things like these(which you probably are.) But the one problem with that is, most normal people that aren't hit on the head for grinding(no offense to all the grinders of course, if anything I find your willfulness to grind genuinely impressive), are just going to look at that and /ignore.

Many will probably say that this is such a small thing to whine over, but yea. It's the small things that add up and before you realize, you're swamped by them.

TLDR; Extremely low drop rates, high number(50) needed of the item to make the costume, abysmal spawn rates and low enemy count contribute to a largely pointless and extremely tedious grind in a place that isn't fun whatsoever.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 9, 2023 7:12PM
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I thought the Elsweyr grind for 10 was okay, but it still took me about 6 hours of grinding each dungeon to get all 10 pieces. Maybe I got unlucky.

But 50? Yikes. I got one scrap while killing all the bosses and doing the quest the first time. This one is going be a very long grind.

Edited by NoxiousBlight on June 4, 2021 11:28AM
  • Raccoonmancer
    Raccoonmancer
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I thought the Elsweyr grind for 10 was okay, but it still took me about 6 hours of grinding each dungeon to get all 10 pieces. Maybe I got unlucky.

But 50? Yikes. I got one scrap while killing all the bosses and doing the quest the first time. This one is going be a very long grind.

It's something I feel should be addressed by someone from the community team at least. At least tell us if there's any intent on changing that or if it will remain the way it is, because as of now, it's just well. Pointless. I don't intend to grind my life away for a costume, but I would be willing to grind it out if the numbers were less ridiculous.

The level of grind they're featuring with such cosmetics is literally korean mmo levels of grind and I don't think that is how they want to start advertising themselves.

So fingers crossed something is done about this, because as I said, the costume looks really nice, it's a shame though that there won't be a lot of people that will have it or will want to endure the grind for it.
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I though I read somewhere that the fragments in the two dungeons had a "Rarity" Cooldown?

Like, the first time you go for a fragment in 20 hours, it will drop fairly quick, but after that they take a LONG time to drop?
  • Raccoonmancer
    Raccoonmancer
    ✭✭✭
    B0SSzombie wrote: »
    I though I read somewhere that the fragments in the two dungeons had a "Rarity" Cooldown?

Like, the first time you go for a fragment in 20 hours, it will drop fairly quick, but after that they take a LONG time to drop?

Could very well be! The drop rates were highly inconsistent, but when you needed only 10 they were still manageable. Now when you need 50, they're not.
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Could very well be! The drop rates were highly inconsistent, but when you needed only 10 they were still manageable. Now when you need 50, they're not.

It's like the Stone Husk Fragments from Greymoor, but for both Dungeons this time.

They really went all out on grinding with this chapter...
  • Raccoonmancer
    Raccoonmancer
    ✭✭✭

It's like the Stone Husk Fragments from Greymoor, but for both Dungeons this time.

It really does. Greymoor started this trend and it's been hated ever since and I see that they're dead on determined to continue it, even though it -DETERS- people for the better part. A good grind lasts a few hours and not more, because after that it just gets tedious without any sense of a reward whatsoever.

It's like someone throwing you into a mine to break your back mining and offering you a crumb of bread, saying that once you've clocked in at least a hundred hours you'll get an entire loaf of bread. Like no man, you'll be dead(in other words gone from the game) before you get that loaf.
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It really does. Greymoor started this trend and it's been hated ever since and I see that they're dead on determined to continue it, even though it -DETERS- people for the better part. A good grind lasts a few hours and not more, because after that it just gets tedious without any sense of a reward whatsoever.

It's like someone throwing you into a mine to break your back mining and offering you a crumb of bread, saying that once you've clocked in at least a hundred hours you'll get an entire loaf of bread. Like no man, you'll be dead(in other words gone from the game) before you get that loaf.

Yup. Seeing an enormous grind doesn't incentivize me to play more, it compels me to just skip the activity altogether.

I could grind out a tedious item.

OR I could just farm gold, which is easier, and just buy them later.

I'm not some 16 year old cutting corners in school to play this game. I've got a job and other responsibilities that are more of a priority than this game.
  • Raccoonmancer
    Raccoonmancer
    ✭✭✭

Yup. Seeing an enormous grind doesn't incentivize me to play more, it compels me to just skip the activity altogether.

I could grind out a tedious item.

OR I could just farm gold, which is easier, and just buy them later.

I'm not some 16 year old cutting corners in school to play this game. I've got a job and other responsibilities that are more of a priority than this game.

Agreed. But honestly, thinking about spending gold on 50 Scaly Cloth Scraps is also killing the incentive for me to spend any money on it at all. The reason is as follows, whilst yes, I want the costume, I don't want to just cheap out and buy it through the market. I want to earn it. But I don't want to grind my life away on earning it, like you said, we've got priorities nowadays in life that take over. Plus the price for buying 50 of such scraps would be insane alone for a costume that's basically a bloody robe.

At the end of the day, all we can do is hope I guess.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It would seem, based on a conversation over a similar subject recently, that some fellow players measure their entertainment (and its quality) in 'menial actions with uncertain outcome per second' (MAx/s for short).

For those who are of that mindset the latest two chapters are definitely excellent entertainment value.
  • Sindarin
    Sindarin
    ✭✭✭
    dont even bother to grind it, coz it doesnt work anyway.

this is from devtrackers.gg
    17 days ago
    cA1Ixd3.jpg

and this is from today, from my own experience
    CQ6v6fF.jpg

almost month of grinding and over 1m spent for buying parts and 17 days after is still bugged.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sigh. This one like the costume but will not go for the insane grind. There’s a point where it’s just disrespectful towards the players to have this sort of nonsense.
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just got fixed in the last patch for Consoles, so you'll probably have it working in the next PC update.
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. I've run that dungeon twice and got nothing, I didn't even realise anything was supposed to drop in there. 50 is an insane amount! It used to just be like 7 pieces, sure they were all different pieces, but that wasn't too bad because you could sell and trade for ones you needed with your spares. This is just awful, I mean this isn't free content, we had to pay extra to do this ridiculous grind!
    /grumpy mode deactivated.
    PC EU & NA
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed. I never even bothered to complete the one from Labyrinthian.
    10 would be reasonable.
    I also miss how the pieces would have unique names (no I don't expect them to do that with 50.)
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me about 12-16 hours to grind up all 50 and then ran into the bug stopping me from actually being able to use them. So until the bug gets fixed this grind will not only drain your mind, but take your soul.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/576313/thrafey-debutante-gown-bugged#latest

Edit: Bug has been fixed
    Edited by Vevvev on July 8, 2021 1:12PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it's not. Not for me.I refuse to grind against such ridiculous odds. I am here for the fun, not the tedium. :-/
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to get both companions to level 20 and gear them up, might as well do it in the public dungeons and get the fragment pieces as well.
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Regarding not-so-important stuff, ESO is more and more becoming like GW2, only there is with achievements
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    Agreed. I never even bothered to complete the one from Labyrinthian.
    10 would be reasonable.
    I also miss how the pieces would have unique names (no I don't expect them to do that with 50.)

Same here.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm okay with all of the excessive grind nonsense that ZOS is adding to the game. In the end it's going to make my decision to stop playing that much easier.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Took me about 12-16 hours to grind up all 50 and then ran into the bug stopping me from actually being able to use them. So until the bug gets fixed this grind will not only drain your mind, but take your soul.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/576313/thrafey-debutante-gown-bugged#latest

Yeah, I'm not even playing with companions. Maybe in a month or so.
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in the dungeon multiple times, on multiple characters, fighting my way to the skyshard and group event boss and I haven't even found 1 piece yet. Looks like I'll be needing RNG to the power of 50 to ever hope of completing this costume.

Either lower the fragment requirement or increase the drop rate. As others have said, both the drop rate and pieces needed were much better in previous chapters. This "50 pieces" trend needs to go away.
  • SerraKBella
    SerraKBella
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I need to get both companions to level 20 and gear them up, might as well do it in the public dungeons and get the fragment pieces as well.

Yes - this is a great idea! I still actually need like 23 stone husk fragments from the Greymoor Public Dungeon. Leveling up companions while farming for fragments and getting companion gear - win/win!

But to be fair - those 27 stone husk shards took me a really long time and I did kind of put it on the back burner.
  • Raccoonmancer
    Raccoonmancer
    ✭✭✭
    Sindarin wrote: »
    dont even bother to grind it, coz it doesnt work anyway.

this is from devtrackers.gg
    17 days ago
    cA1Ixd3.jpg

and this is from today, from my own experience
    CQ6v6fF.jpg

almost month of grinding and over 1m spent for buying parts and 17 days after is still bugged.

I just came back to this post and saw this. This is wild. This feels like a massive spit in the face ngl. All those hours of grinding wasted to realize you can't even use something that was meant to be usable in the first place. The reason it's probably broken is because they never really expected someone to do it in the first place I guess, at least not in the first month. Whilst they're fixing it, to actually make it work, might as well lower the amount needed, eh ZOS?
  • Jem_Kindheart
    Jem_Kindheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    You actually got 50 together wow. Props to that! I was in there for EIGHT HOURS and have 5 scraps correction I had 3 scraps lol, I knew then I would not be getting the resulting costume, ever.
    Edited by Jem_Kindheart on July 8, 2021 8:59AM
    Longtimer since beta, the usual. 26 CP toons. ~1700cp on main account, 1000cp on 2nd account. Endgame-ish lol. Most Vets / some HM's cleared.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [snip]

Also, did the dungeon in a newbie character the second time and got one cloth in total and Suspect it’ll come to the crown store later this year for 60000 endeavours or whatever.

[edited for thread bumping]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 1, 2021 3:22PM
  • Jem_Kindheart
    Jem_Kindheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Updates: a total of TEN hours in there now doing mob loops, skipping bosses. I have a grand total of 4 scraps. I'm sure killing things plenty fast, just having shockingly low rates. Ten hours is a lot of hours lol to a reasonable person. If my RNG remains like this, it will be 125 hours to get 50 pieces.

Update 2: I would be happy to just go buy the parts at the claimed 20K... They are not 20K. PCNA is 65-80K.

Players really don't mind a bit of a grind for a cool thingie, but stuff like 50 pieces at 1 per two hours, or the Shadowfen water node, or the Bad Man's Hollows lead is just purely bad design. Was in Bthar-Zel for 8 hours total and have 0 of the pet part leads.

This is a bad direction ZoS is going with the "farm stupid mob for dozens of hours" mechanic, and was warned this was a bad direction many PTS's ago.
    Longtimer since beta, the usual. 26 CP toons. ~1700cp on main account, 1000cp on 2nd account. Endgame-ish lol. Most Vets / some HM's cleared.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let’s face it @Jem_Kindheart they want players to buy this costume through crown crates at some point.

Have they even fixed the bug where you can’t combine the pieces?
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That was certainly my experience with the mummified alfiq parts. One would drop fairly quickly, usually within 5 minutes, but after that it was exceedingly rare to get another in quick succession. So I just added it to my daily task list, 5 minutes of killing skeletons in Rimmen Necropolis every day for 10 days and boom, there was my mummy cat. I haven't bothered with the plague drenched fabric or the newer collectibles that require 50 parts but I expect the same principle would work.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bug was fixed by the way. You can finally combine the 50 pieces and get the gown.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
This discussion has been closed.