Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should there be Justice System punishments for...

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there should be some fine for unnecessary use of flashy abilities / dueling in towns.
    peacenote wrote: »
    I get how it could be annoying but I just don't like the idea of introducing more limitations in towns.

Towns should have limits. They are a hub for all the business a player may need to conduct, like banking, crafting, creating outfits, doing writs.

Towns are a place where civility prevails over mayhem. That is why they have guards. Let the guards enforce the laws and keep peace.
    Edited by SilverBride on May 1, 2021 7:19PM
    PCNA
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there should be some fine for unnecessary use of flashy abilities / dueling in towns.
    Just make the NPCs have a quite bubble around them that will fix it
  • KalyanLazair
    KalyanLazair
    ✭✭✭✭
    (...or something else. Add your ideas below, but be nice! and no swearing!)
    I think the scrying/excavating mechanic @Merforum mentioned is spot on. Just make it so your character is in a completely different "place" where no disruption from the outside world can affect them, and then we can outfit or do whatever in peace. That solves the issue of mudballs and flashy attacks, though it doesn't solve the issue with pets, which I still believe the best approach is to unsummon them when close to one of these stations.
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    No, they're perfectly fine doing what they're doing.
    Just make it so your character is in a completely different "place" where no disruption from the outside world can affect them, and then we can outfit or do whatever in peace.

Thank you, exactly what I said in the last post of page 3!))
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hollyniss wrote: »
    The player doing the disruptive behavior is the one who should go somewhere else. They are the cause and there wouldn't be a disruption without their actions.

But if they insist on dueling in town, even though there are better options that don't disrupt anyone, then they should get a bounty for it.

I think that's a false comparison. Even if you had multiple people spamming emotes and mementos at the same time, that still wouldn't really compare with the intensity that most duels can inflict on non-participating nearby players.

Duels have people firing off skills that cause loud sound effects, bright / flashy light effects, sCrEEeEeN ShaAaAAKe, more loud sound effects, the sounds of people (players' characters) screaming/shouting, more screen shake, more sound effects, more sound effects again, and more screen shake. Not to mention if you use a controller, you can get a lot of vibration from all of it too. AND half the sound effects that you hear aren't just random nothings -- they're combat cues that you're used to hearing in a fighting setting.; so you're kind of being taken out of "safely going about my business in town" mode and instead you're getting the subconscious "why do I hear combat music...?" mode.

I know that "sensory overload" is an easy target for dismissal and ridicule for people who aren't affected by it and don't care about it, but it's kind of at the core of this issue for most of the people complaining I think.

Imagine you're sitting out in a nice and peaceful park somewhere, sipping coffee and sorting through your emails or whatever. It's nice, right? You're just working on a menial task that you need to get done, minding your own business, and it's all going fine. It's a nice park. Serene, scenic, lots of open space for people to keep their distance from everyone else, so no one is really crowding you while you do your thing...

Then, suddenly, and for no apparent reason -- two guys start fighting each other RIGHT next to you. They're grunting, and groaning, and just beating the absolute *** out of each other. And for some reason one has fireworks? Weird choice for a fistfight, but okay... Fireworks... sure. The other guy pulls out a baseball bat. They start wailing on each other and knocking the other to the ground. For some reason they SCREEEAAM when they leap up off the ground, presumably to psyche themselves back up for winning the fight... or to assert dominance... or whatever. Oh, and somehow a 🔥fire🔥 started 4 feet away from you! And --- WAIT, WHERE THE *** DID FIREWORK GUY GET A --- IS THAT A HAND GRENADE?!?! (You suddenly are deaf. Congratulations. Pretty sure some of your teeth are loose now too; might wanna look into that.)

Your hearing starts to return. You hear a strange, rapid, "taptaptap" sound coming -- oh, those are gunshots. Yep, definitely the sound of gunshots. More screaming. It's still just those two random dudes fighting. How are they even still going, wtf? You think maybe it's time to move away from all these shenanigans. It all started 6 seconds ago, but you're just now registering what's going on is probably not something you want to be involved in. But somehow their fight also spills over into the next area you walked over to. Apparently the freaking square acre they had over there wasn't quite enough, because now they're over here by you at your new park bench. Is that -- it can't be... IS THAT A TANK ROLLING UP THE SIDEWALK?!

You just wanted to drink some coffee... :/

*Tank cannon fires off a few feet away from you* Your hair is messed up beyond any hope of salvage and your clothes are covered in dirt and blast residue. Someone pooped in your pants. For some reason the whole world is vibrating. Or is it just your eyeballs? Can't tell, too disoriented.

Guess those emails will have to wait...

[Edit to remove quoted content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on May 1, 2021 9:03PM
  • KalyanLazair
    KalyanLazair
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nastassiya wrote: »
    Just make it so your character is in a completely different "place" where no disruption from the outside world can affect them, and then we can outfit or do whatever in peace.

Thank you, exactly what I said in the last post of page 3!))

I missed your post, but yep, I think that's the best approach, and I don't think it should be too hard to implement considering they've already done it with antiquities minigames.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    I don't do PvP at all myself but that's not something that bothers me so my vote is no.
  • Mefromnorway
    Mefromnorway
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like kids with ADH run around all time spamming power. Inside bank and around trade shops, where you deliver craft quest. Dont understand why they do, looks like they think its only them have power. Its so annoying and this could easy been fixed so its not possible but devs do evrything for make lags and destroy game., first days in example new year events so many people try activate quest and people stand just for beeing rude and spam power.
    Edited by Mefromnorway on May 1, 2021 9:27PM
    Have fun and dont be rude. Im Norwegian so im sorry for my spelling, but hope u understand.

Grand Master Crafter.
    5 chars full 9 traiter.
    3 chars Flawless
    2 chars Stormproof.

Total 13 chars, evryone got full gold armor both roles.

PS5 Europe.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A better solution would simply be to disable skills/certain summonings when you walk into a particular area like a town, and then re-activate them when you walk out of it. No need to inconvenience people who might accidentally hit a button with a bounty. Necro bounty, werewolf bounty, and vampire bounty are already annoying enough as it is. And honestly, none of this happens frequently enough for me to be concerned. And when it does, I don't really bat an eye. It just...doesn't bother me.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. Im doing it in my house or in alinor. So no issues. 🤔
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭

Can't have a debate about the game or have opinions apparently. It's not even a hostile debate lol. The only concern I had regarding the op post was fining people for every little thing. If they disabled skills and pets in town, I wouldn't be adverse. Just no justice system for that as it wouldn't fix or settle the issue. Disabling skills and pets would probably be the better option. Still think there should be a 'hide other players pets/assistants' option for everywhere else to help with the clutter and aid performance. I just think adding penalties would be too extreme.

I agree with you, handing out fines like that is silly. I understand murdering people honestly I'd prefer something much more harsh. Gold, in this game, is almost a meme. The ability to hide a mount would be nice. Despawning them isn't a good idea because sometimes you're required to enter combat for some in town quests. That also means casting spells. Just hide people and abilities when you're in the outfitting station and everything is solved.
  • Hollyniss
    Hollyniss
    ✭✭✭

Can't have a debate about the game or have opinions apparently. It's not even a hostile debate lol. The only concern I had regarding the op post was fining people for every little thing. If they disabled skills and pets in town, I wouldn't be adverse. Just no justice system for that as it wouldn't fix or settle the issue. Disabling skills and pets would probably be the better option. Still think there should be a 'hide other players pets/assistants' option for everywhere else to help with the clutter and aid performance. I just think adding penalties would be too extreme.

I agree with you, handing out fines like that is silly. I understand murdering people honestly I'd prefer something much more harsh. Gold, in this game, is almost a meme. The ability to hide a mount would be nice. Despawning them isn't a good idea because sometimes you're required to enter combat for some in town quests. That also means casting spells. Just hide people and abilities when you're in the outfitting station and everything is solved.

Yeah that's true, just the option to hide pets/abilities/assistants would probably work the best.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alurria wrote: »
    Just make the NPCs have a quite bubble around them that will fix it

That makes me wonder how many duelers may duel less frequently in the middle of town areas if they knew they weren't being observed.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    That makes me wonder how many duelers may duel less frequently in the middle of town areas if they knew they weren't being observed.

The duelers really don't really worry about other's. They are spending times with friends and they want to duel. They are in their own little world and you just exist in it, but they don't think about you in the slightest. In that moment, they are only thinking of the people they are playing directly with. If their dual bothers you isn't something that is on their mind. They are there to have fun so others do not even register to them.

• Hollyniss
    Hollyniss
    ✭✭✭

The duelers really don't really worry about other's. They are spending times with friends and they want to duel. They are in their own little world and you just exist in it, but they don't think about you in the slightest. In that moment, they are only thinking of the people they are playing directly with. If their dual bothers you isn't something that is on their mind. They are there to have fun so others do not even register to them.

Agreed, I don't think that thought even crosses their minds. Typically they're practicing rotations, from what I've seen usually. Or they're bored and don't know what else to do or are waiting for a queue.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Regular old thoughtlessness can explain a lot, I'd agree... But I very much doubt that is the case all of the time. When people are choosing to duel directly in the center of the writ turn in boxes in Alinor, or directly in front of the bank in Vivec, or whatever super conspicuous and crowded place, I find it hard to believe that they "just have fun wherever they happen to be" or anything like that.

Besides, even if that were true, wouldn't common sense/courtesy tell you to move 10 feet to the left or whatever to not be in the way?
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Seeing as this thread has run it's course and has derailed, we have gone ahead and closed it down. We understand that everyone has their own opinions they want to express, but we also want the forums to be a constructive platform for ESO and its community. As such, Baiting and Flaming are against the Forum's Community Rules:
    Trolling or Baiting: The act of trolling is defined as something that is created for the intent to provoke conflict, shock others, or to elicit a strong negative or emotional reaction. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread, and find another discussion to participate in instead. It is also not constructive or helpful to publicly call out others and accuse them of trolling, or call them a troll—please refrain from doing so. If you genuinely believe someone is trolling, please report the post or thread to the ESO Team, and leave it at that.
    Flaming: It’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.