The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should there be Justice System punishments for...

kadochka
kadochka
✭✭✭✭✭
...spam-casting or dueling in towns? Specifically, on or around crafting / dye stations, or in enclosed spaces like around merchants or in banks.
The fines would probably be small, like the ones you get for minor thievery, but honestly, if you're the jerk that decides to run past while I'm outfit-designing and spam a bunch of big glowy AoE effects, all the while fully knowing what you're doing... :disappointed:

Edit: for those answering no, can you explain why? Are you seriously not bothered by the people dueling and casting big flashy spells in your face while you're trying to dye your armor? or by the lag behind your map when people decide dropping DK Standard on the central wayshrine is a cool thing to do? Am I alone in this?????

Edit 2: To be clear, if they added special bubbles / No-Dueling zones or something of the like around towns, THAT WORKS TOO. I'm not saying they have to pay a fine; that was just the first idea I had.
Edited by kadochka on May 1, 2021 10:30PM
if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

Should there be Justice System punishments for... 147 votes

Yes, there should be some fine for unnecessary use of flashy abilities / dueling in towns.
44%
Anthony_ArndtGilvothk9mousePinesyGreevirDarcyMardinAlurriaTheForFeeFGroufvivisectvib16_ESOYukon2112SheezabeastTX12001rwb17_ESOAldia_of_DrangleicAdaaryeKarminathevampOlauronStreegaAsysbadmojo 65 votes
No, they're perfectly fine doing what they're doing.
42%
Belegnoledaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOkypranb14_ESOVehlirlolo_01b16_ESOdanno8DaiKahnphaneub17_ESOwarsteheineub17_ESOWolfpawNastassiyapeacenoteMayraelSanctum74Celephantsylvius_BornasfinmoLadyNalcaryameekmikoGreasytenguTheImperfectDark_Lord_Kuro 62 votes
(...or something else. Add your ideas below, but be nice! and no swearing!)
13%
ThorntongueGythralsilvermistktralasub17_ESOTandortwevDestaiSolid_MetalKingofAnnwnDocFrost72NordSwordnBoardMinyassaTethiliaSylvermynxGregajoergingerBradyfjordZama666iksdeKalyanLazairThorianB 20 votes
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would want justice punishment to having summoned any combat pets in towns if ZOS cant handle to fix their textures and I doesnt care about their lagality in this universum
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    be removed...

“Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dueling should be done outside of towns.
    Spells I say its rare, some looks like healers practicing key layout.
    Well if you want to practice healing join an dragon fight, you do something useful and its pretty good training.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • KalyanLazair
    KalyanLazair
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is not something that bothers me, to be honest. However, if something is to be implemented, I think the best solution is to create a sort of area around the stations that nullifies all magic (skills or whatever) and, since pets have appeared in the discussion, unsummons them. By nullify I mean spells and skills can't be casted by the players around that certain area.
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there should be some fine for unnecessary use of flashy abilities / dueling in towns.
    It is not something that bothers me, to be honest. However, if something is to be implemented, I think the best solution is to create a sort of area around the stations that nullifies all magic (skills or whatever) and, since pets have appeared in the discussion, unsummons them. By nullify I mean spells and skills can't be casted by the players around that certain area.

Having a 'bubble' like this around stations, merchants, and banks would probably work, yeah.
    (Maybe also something for the fools dueling on the wayshrines, though, lol.)
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just about any necro has to leave town or go where there's no guards to duel. Have dueling disabled, the way Alinor crafting dismounts you as you enter the area. Nobody needs a mount or to duel in that area. If they de-summoned pets as well, you could re-summon upon leaving the same as realizing where you can re-mount.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I never have/had this problem because I have several dye stations in different houses.I hardly never use the public ones in towns.
    But if that would happen to me I surely would be annoyed.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, that's actually not a terrible idea, the more I think about it.

If you cast too many abilities in a town for no reason. Like, say, 20 times in the span of a minute, a guard could walk up to you, say you're disturbing the peace, and give you a small bounty to pay.

If players are really dedicated to annoying others... I guess it wouldn't stop them, but hopefully inconvenience them enough?

"According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What city allows fighting in the streets? The guards uphold other common laws such as stealing, and if you attack an npc you will suffer consequences, so why allow dueling? Dueling is fighting.
    PCNA
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    What city allows fighting in the streets? The guards uphold other common laws such as stealing, and if you attack an npc you will suffer consequences, so why allow dueling? Dueling is fighting.

I think this is the best rationale for disallowing dueling in cities (within the map boundaries of a city as shown on the World Map).

Either dueling should be "locked out" within a city or you should incur a Bounty for dueling in city limits enforceable by Guards.

:neutral:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People should be allowed to have fun in this game. Some set procs are much more annoying than others (especially with anything that has eye-straining bright flashes), but I blame ZOS for that, and I do wish players who wear certain sets with much more obnoxious procs would be more discreet in crowded places. But punishing everyone because a few people don't know when to stop being annoying? No.

[snip]

[Edited for Baiting]
    Edited by Psiion on April 30, 2021 9:04PM
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want criminal fines and punishments, but I would like it that if you have a bunch of Daedra in town or are spamming spells, a guard will come up to you and ask you to be considerate of others. Guards don't need to issue punishment and arrests to maintain order.

Also I think it would be funny if you are undressed, a guard will come up and ask for you to have some decency and put some clothes on.
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, Riften without a constant city brawl happening over something stupid isn't Riften.

"Hey cute Salamander pet, where did you get it?"
    "YOU CALLIN ME A SALAMANDER, I WILL GUT YOU FOR THAT!"
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a fine, I think dueling just shouldn't work in towns. Just like we are dismounted when we pass into certain areas and other location-specific conditions, I think that dueling invites just should be automatically grayed out within the borders of a town and a certain distance from wayshrines.
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jssriot wrote: »
    People should be allowed to have fun in this game.
    But punishing everyone because a few people don't know when to stop being annoying? No.

[snip]

[Edited for Baiting]

Yes, because it's fun when I'm trying to design an expensive outfit, I get halfway through, and suddenly somebody casts on me and I'm all glowy, with my weapon out and everything. Fun. :|

And it's not 'punishing everyone'. It's punishing the people who over-cast and duel in the middle of towns and merchants. Literally will ONLY PUNISH the ones BEING the jerks...
    Edited by Psiion on April 30, 2021 9:04PM

• GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the best solutions I've seen for disallowing Dueling in populated areas is to just have a ~28m radius on all NPCs that prevents it. Kind of like not being able to Rest when enemies are nearby in the classic TES games; "You cannot Duel so close to civilians." or whatever.

If you had it set to the right radius, anywhere that matters would be automatically covered -- everywhere in the entire game -- with one fell swoop. No having to go around manually placing "safe zones" on individual towns, crafting areas, etc. since there's always an unkillable NPC near crafting/writ/guild trader/etc areas.

That only addresses people Dueling in places they "shouldn't be", though; a different solution would be needed to prevent spam-casters and pet parade leaders and other annoying stuff. Still though, it seemed like a really elegant solution when I read it. Wish I could remember who to credit for the idea. Good idea, @WhoeverTF! ;P
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭
    One way we could fix dueling in towns is by making Dueling Pits in some outlaw havens. Since it's a separate zone they could increase the population of those outlaw havens and make it so people who want to duel can have an easier time dueling people, plus there is an established area for them to go to. You also could always duel outside.

I would imagine if you started dueling in a city, some guard will come in and say "Alright break it up. No fighting or spitting!".
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭
    One last comment, I would entirely like to keep in the ability to use mudballs and snowballs on people who are at the outfit station. We need some slight harassments now and then.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because both have agreed to the duel and will not accidently hurt others. An NPC doesn't agree to have his/her pockets picked or to be attacked.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tethilia wrote: »
    One way we could fix dueling in towns is by making Dueling Pits in some outlaw havens. Since it's a separate zone they could increase the population of those outlaw havens and make it so people who want to duel can have an easier time dueling people, plus there is an established area for them to go to. You also could always duel outside.

I would imagine if you started dueling in a city, some guard will come in and say "Alright break it up. No fighting or spitting!".

They could implement 'duel finder' where you could have 1, 2, 3 or 4 people drop into a mini battleground where it is always basically a deathmatch. Also they could make it 2, 3, and 4 member TEAMS. Imagine you have the option 1v1 all the way to 4 teams of 4 battling it out. Hell they could even let you have 12 member teams to do deathmatchs. This would be less complex than the normal battleground so I would think they could implement it pretty quick.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

Because both have agreed to the duel and will not accidently hurt others. An NPC doesn't agree to have his/her pockets picked or to be attacked.

And what about the innocent bystanders who get hit and are covered with ice for instance? Did they agree to be involved?

It doesn't matter if they agree to fight, or if others who unwillingly get hit by the effects are hurt or not. Logically, fighting in the streets is not acceptable behavior. Guards are there to uphold the laws and keep peace.

It doesn't hurt anyone if my Vampire accidentally uses her ultimate in town but she will get whacked down by the guards because of her transformation. And it doesn't hurt anyone if my Necromancer accidentally summons her minion in town, but she will suffer the same fate.

The guards don't tolerate anything that can be perceived as a violent act. So why is it logical that they turn their backs on players fighting?
    PCNA
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered because I don't do outfits anywhere except at my own outfit stations in my houses. If they want to duel around the crafting areas etc. fine, I don't really even see it because, y'know, I'm busy doing my own thing.... I'm perfectly capable of ignoring duels and the stuff that goes along with it.
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    theres should be capital charge for whoever warden that spawn their bear inside a town.....for some reason ZoS didn't block/mask their collider with player interaction raycast
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have dueling set to auto decline... and I think people should be able to duel wherever.

Maybe we should start fining people for loitering at dye stations, or running their horse through town, or bumping into NPCs too hard (that's assault you know).

Or maybe we should all just lighten up a bit and realize that in an MMO you share the world space with others and there will be things others do that annoy you, and things you do that annoy others.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Or maybe we should all just lighten up a bit and realize that in an MMO you share the world space with others and there will be things others do that annoy you, and things you do that annoy others.

So those who want repercussions for dueling in town should "just lighten up a bit and realize that in an MMO you share the world space with others", but those who are dueling don't have to offer the same consideration to those around them?
    PCNA
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So those who want repercussions for dueling in town should "just lighten up a bit and realize that in an MMO you share the world space with others", but those who are dueling don't have to offer the same consideration to those around them?

Perhaps come up with a better solution than banning dueling in towns or fining those who do it.

How about asking ZoS to make casted buffs have no effect on other players while within towns?
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps come up with a better solution than banning dueling in towns or fining those who do it.

How about asking ZoS to make casted buffs have no effect on other players while within towns?

Seriously? How does disallowing dueling in certain spots not sound like a proper fix, especially compared to that? sorry, I just don't see how that makes any sense.

• GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I mean, that wouldn't solve the issue of dueling players "disturbing the peace" or whatever though...

I know it seems stupid to those who don't care about such things, but honestly it would be nice if I could just go through my bank and whatnot without hearing what sounds like a minor apocalypse happening outside my menus! Can't y'all take it literally anywhere else?
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the first things that I have in mind when I think about roleplay in a fantasy setting are tavern brawls. Instead of punishing players for dueling inside city boundries, I'd rather see the possibility to do 2v2, 3v3, ... "duels" or "last man standing" with more than 2 players.

And if you want to ignore the RP part of MMORPG, then I'd still say that you should be allowed to duel in major cities, as that is the place where you usually will spend your idle time, and dueling is a nice activity to do while ideling.

As for the people who are annoyed by dueling, maybe we can get a compromise:
    Dueling will be impossible inside banks and shops, but in return every major city gets a dueling arena that offers some interessting functionality.
    Edited by lolo_01b16_ESO on April 30, 2021 10:12PM
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the first things that I have in mind when I think about roleplay in a fantasy setting are tavern brawls. Instead of punishing players for dueling inside city boundries, I'd rather see the possibility to do 2v2, 3v3, ... "duels" or "last man standing" with more than 2 players.

And if you want to ignore the RP part of MMORPG, then I'd still say that you should be allowed to duel in major cities, as that is the place where you usually will spend your idle time, and dueling is a nice activity to do while ideling.

As for the people who are annoyed by dueling, maybe we can get a compromise:
    Dueling will be impossible inside banks and shops, but in return every major city gets a dueling arena that offers some interessting functionality.

Look, honestly, if they had a feature where you could bet on players and fist-fight, like in a tavern? like they did in Skyrim (with a few of the quests, though that was mostly for recon or intimidation efforts), that could be cool. No spells, no weapon. Start punching.
    But they don't, and even if they did it would have to be organized to certain locations.
    The main issue here is the big effects and noises and everything else caused by the spells and commotion. It's not a very good RP if you decide to throw down in the tiny bank room. :D

(edit for spelling errors. heckin autocorrect!!)
    Edited by kadochka on April 30, 2021 10:16PM

This discussion has been closed.