Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.2.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Companions are hilarious!

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »
    kojou wrote: »
    SirAndy wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    In order to be useful, a fully leveled tank companion needs to be the equivalent of the Sorc Clannfear pet in terms of taunts and survivability.
    popcorn.gif
    Ha ha! Do you know how often I have to resummon my Clannfear in a fight?

Dunno, but on my MagSorc, the Clannfear can hold its own during most boss fights while soloing vet group dungeons.
    It doesn't die that often at all.
    confused24.gif
    I thought pets were mostly invincible in group content?
    @kojou

Not when you are running solo ...
    shades.gif

Pretty sure pets can't take damage or even get aggro in true dungeons, not open world.

But seriously? Just let pets take damage again and taunt at this point, clanfear was at least a meat shield.

I said *mostly* because I know there are a few cases where they will die to mechanics, although I think they are not supposed to in a group.

I was not aware that they could die if you enter a group dungeon solo, but @SirAndy would likely know, so I will take his word for it.

Just saying that at least before current live update they can't die at all in a multiplayer group dungeon. Don't know if something changed since I'm not at home to check. Soloed Stone Garden and they never died or grabbed aggro, not even clanfear.

I hope they do grab aggro again, would be nice.

@Ryuvain @kojou
    If you run a group dungeon *solo*, your Clannfear *will* taunt and aggro as well as die if not healed.

The aggro is only disabled if you are in a group (!), same is true for the "unkillable" of your pets.
    shades.gif

PS: That's what i do for fun with my MagSorc, run group dungeons solo. And i use the Clannfear as a tank.

• Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to be useful, a fully leveled tank companion needs to be the equivalent of the Sorc Clannfear pet in terms of taunts and survivability.
    popcorn.gif

Dunno, but on my MagSorc, the Clannfear can hold its own during most boss fights while soloing vet group dungeons.
    It doesn't die that often at all.
    confused24.gif
    I thought pets were mostly invincible in group content?
    @kojou

Not when you are running solo ...
    shades.gif

Pretty sure pets can't take damage or even get aggro in true dungeons, not open world.

But seriously? Just let pets take damage again and taunt at this point, clanfear was at least a meat shield.

I said *mostly* because I know there are a few cases where they will die to mechanics, although I think they are not supposed to in a group.

I was not aware that they could die if you enter a group dungeon solo, but @SirAndy would likely know, so I will take his word for it.

Just saying that at least before current live update they can't die at all in a multiplayer group dungeon. Don't know if something changed since I'm not at home to check. Soloed Stone Garden and they never died or grabbed aggro, not even clanfear.

I hope they do grab aggro again, would be nice.

@Ryuvain @kojou
    If you run a group dungeon *solo*, your Clannfear *will* taunt and aggro as well as die if not healed.

The aggro is only disabled if you are in a group (!), same is true for the "unkillable" of your pets.
    shades.gif

PS: That's what i do for fun with my MagSorc, run group dungeons solo. And i use the Clannfear as a tank.

And you mean dungeons as in group finder right? That must be a recent change if so. Like fungal grotto and such.

Not the public dungeons.
    Edited by Ryuvain on April 21, 2021 4:16AM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you mean dungeons as in group finder right? That must be a recent change if so. Like fungal grotto and such.

Not the public dungeons.
    It's not recent, it's been like that ever since ZOS added the unkillable pets and removed the aggro from the Clannfear for *groups*.
    And you can't enter a group dungeon solo through the group finder.

Just slot the Clannfear and walk into FG alone through the front door. No other players, just you. Try it out ...
    post-2-1445282250.gif

• ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

popcorn.gif

I almost never have to resummon mine unless i kick the bucket myself. You know you can heal them right?
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the public dungeons.
    It's not recent, it's been like that ever since ZOS added the unkillable pets and removed the aggro from the Clannfear for *groups*.
    And you can't enter a group dungeon solo through the group finder.

Just slot the Clannfear and walk into FG alone through the front door. No other players, just you. Try it out ...
    post-2-1445282250.gif

Odd, wonder why it never worked for me. I walked into Stone Garden solo and did it by taking all aggro alone. Pets never took damage either.

Although I did have unstable familiar instead of clanfear when I did that. That mightve affected something. Will have to try when I get off work. Too bad I just got here... meh.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was bored and decided to fight and tank a dragon with the new proc set changes with Bastian. After a half hour, the beast finally went down. I gave him a bow and with ranged skills and he only died like 4 times in that span. Not the best, not the worst but I like to imagine he absorbed some of my heals as well.g8i6tlx7lts0.png
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reading the feedback here and in the official feedback thread I can only hope they intentionally started of weak in order to not have to nerf them or something... What a disappointment.
    Edited by Everstorm on April 21, 2021 8:05AM
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also they might be needing a buff before it goes live. haha

Max level Bastion specd for tank with full on Vigorous heavy armor gear (40k max health) sword & shield all maxed out lvl 20 Bastion in all skills.
    I equipped him with 2 taunts, self heal and chains so he can hold back many of the horrors of Tamriel.

Off we went!

Fungal Grotto 1 normal:
    Bastion went to the nearest goblin and faitfully held back a single goblin so I could deal with the other 5. That's when I saw true potential.

I learned that you can control Bastion like the pets by telling him which target to go for.. I was ready.

First boss - Taskmaster - Fungal 1 Normal

I told my faithful companion to go hold back the Taskmaster!

Unfortunately.... he got stuck in a rock on the ground. After we got him out of there he put up a brave fight, he only died twice to the first boss.

Got out of fungal grotto and went to the nearest world boss in Stonefalls..

I once again told my brave companion to tank the world boss. The world boss did 3 fire whips within the span of 3-4 seconds and down went Bastion for another nap.

On a good note - it seems he enjoys when you pick up ressources. That's nice!
    But I don't think these guys will replace much of anyone as it is right now haha

*Disclaimer this is just released in PTS and many improvements can happen still, and likely will - just found my first impression hilarious*

sounds like a quality content, worth buying whole chapter for it. Oh can't wait for new year-long adventure
  • Agalloch
    Agalloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think after maximum a month everyone will stop using them.
    Edited by Agalloch on April 21, 2021 6:54AM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was obvious they'd be useless.

They're for casual players to dress up and have company on a quest while they play the game solo.

• mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ntj2mbxy2q0i.jpg
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The million dollar question still remains.

Can companions activate the pressure plates in Direfrost keep? :p
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agalloch wrote: »
    I think after maximum a month everyone will stop using them.

I would guess that those players will stop using the companions after one month who didn't want them anyway.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    It was obvious they'd be useless.

They're for casual players to dress up and have company on a quest while they play the game solo.

And even that is limited. 🙄

• TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give them Diablo 3 companions unkillable status or make each "death" like 5-10 seconds stagger instead.
    If this would hit live the way it is now it would be facepalm material.
    Or even better, give the imperial way to repair your gear for coin and Darkelf could act as secondary fence, idk.
    The way they are now there literally is zero initiative to get them.
    I mean, meteoring mudcrabs might be fun for a day or so, but if they cant tank wet noodle hitting FG1 1st miniboss, that is really really terrible.

I could roll lvl 10 with a lvl 2 sword and shield on any class with single self heal and tank that one naked
    Awake, but at what cost
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did the quest to get Bastian and took him out wandering with me (a level 1100 CP templar). No companion gear dropped during the hour or so we played, so he was still low level (2 or 3) and only had his original destro staff and whatever skills he came with (I figured he needed to level up before he could tank, anyway).

We killed that dreugh world boss in Stornhaven...well, more accurately, I killed it since Bastian was dead early on in the fight, despite my shooting templar heals his way whenever I had the chance. OK. Wish I had my warden bear or my sorc pets, all of whom do more damage and survive much longer than poor Bastian.

Decided to try Crypt of Hearts 1, which was a pledge. Just me and Bastian. Normal. My husband and I can duo that dungeon in no time at all. Bastian took a dirt nap on the first bunch of trash mobs. He died on the first boss. On the second, slightly harder, boss, he was long dead by the time I managed to kill the boss. At that point, I decided to bail, as I was getting tired and bored. 5-10 k DPS?? No way. I’m no high DD’er myself — I prefer healing and tanking — but he was beyond pathetic.

Please, someone, tell me they get better when they are fully leveled and properly geared?? I feel as if I have a non-combat pet trailing after me.

ZOS, please buff Companions! (I like his dialogue and other stuff about him, though).
    Edited by DarcyMardin on April 21, 2021 7:02PM
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did the quest to get Bastian and took him out wandering with me (a level 1100 CP templar). No companion gear dropped during the hour or so we played, so he was still low level (2 or 3) and only had his original destro staff and whatever skills he came with (I figured he needed to level up before he could tank, anyway).

We killed that dreugh world boss in Stornhaven...well, more accurately, I killed it since Bastian was dead early on in the fight, despite my shooting templar heals his way whenever I had the chance. OK. Wish I had my warden bear or my sorc pets, all of whom do more damage and survive much longer than poor Bastian.

Decided to try City of Ash 1, which was a pledge. Just me and Bastian. Normal. My husband and I can duo that dungeon in no time at all. Bastian took a dirt nap on the first bunch of trash mobs. He died on the first boss. On the second, slightly harder, boss, he was long dead by the time I managed to kill the boss. At that point, I decided to bail, as I was getting tired and bored. 5-10 k DPS?? No way. I’m no high DD’er myself — I prefer healing and tanking — but he was beyond pathetic.

Please, someone, tell me they get better when they are fully leveled and properly geared?? I feel as if I have a non-combat pet trailing after me.

ZOS, please buff Companions! (I like his dialogue and other stuff about him, though).

I gotta admit, a small portion of me hope they keep them like this XD

They made Bastian look super badass in the trailer and in reality it's like:
    "Oh again? FFS Bastian........."

It's like when you have a bad day.. You can look over at Bastian and be like.. "Well.. Atleast i'm not that guy"

Or maybe I'm just super bad at playing with Companions.. Could be XD
    Edited by Grandchamp1989 on April 21, 2021 9:52AM
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Decided to try City of Ash 1, which was a pledge. Just me and Bastian. Normal. My husband and I can duo that dungeon in no time at all. Bastian took a dirt nap on the first bunch of trash mobs. He died on the first boss. On the second, slightly harder, boss, he was long dead by the time I managed to kill the boss. At that point, I decided to bail, as I was getting tired and bored. 5-10 k DPS?? No way. I’m no high DD’er myself — I prefer healing and tanking — but he was beyond pathetic.

I gotta admit, a small portion of me hope they keep them like this XD

They made Bastian look super badass in the trailer and in reality it's like:
    "Oh again? FFS Bastian........."

It's like when you have a bad day.. You can look over at Bastian and be like.. "Well.. Atleast i'm not that guy"

Or maybe I'm just super bad at playing with Companions.. Could be XD

That did make me laugh. At least i feel like i progressed since the beginning.

Just look at Bastian.
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made Bastian in to a dd while I went around on my tank. For overland/public dungeons this option is great. For world bosses or dungeons.... all around dirt naps lol
    Dark Flare is the Beginning, Radiant is the End. Hail the Light Bringers!
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no they can't. This was confirmed by Kai in the german Bethesda_DE twitch strem introducing the companions.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

no they can't. This was confirmed by Kai in the german Bethesda_DE twitch strem introducing the companions.

hzgE0OD.gif
  • Drygon
    Drygon
    ✭✭✭

They are not better fully leveled and geared.

I tested both of them with various builds and they are more of an handicap.

The main problem is their Ai which feels really rushed.

Without giving more particular examples, think about this: They heal in rotation when they are at full health if the Skill is off CD, and when they actually lose health the heal is on CD. A simple HP check to cast or skip the skill could have been added but it was not.
    Edited by Drygon on April 21, 2021 10:39AM
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drygon wrote: »

They are not better fully leveled and geared.

I tested both of them with various builds and they are more of an handicap.

The main problem is their Ai which feels really rushed.

Without giving more particular examples, think about this: They heal in rotation when they are at full health if the Skill is off CD, and when they actually lose health the heal is on CD. A simple HP check to cast or skip the skill could have been added but it was not.

So this year we receive derpy AI friend as the new system. Can't wait for next year chapter then.
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope they get buffed, a bit disappointing if they're just fun for roleplaying.
    PS | EU
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What happens when they die? Do you have to rez them?

Honestly, none of this surprises me though.

The ONLY hope I had was that we could jam items on them when we had a full inventory. Not happening, so don't care.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stefj68 wrote: »
    he can't tank 1st boss in fg1 lollllllllllllllllllll
    And ppl said they would replace players - haha

Tbh. I can not think of a nFG1 (with auto group finder) when someone died at that boss, let alone entire group got wiped. Even at very low level.

If max level companion is getting killed at the one of the easiest boss in the game (many overland are harder) then... what is the use case for companions ? If I make one to be a healer, then the only thing they will replace is Pale Order ring.

My only idea is that maybe they can be somehow tuned into some kind of sustain-healer, so maybe mobs won't attack them. Also maybe it can be combined with some health recovery, so you could solo some dungeons that have long unbreakable stun with dot (like FG2 boss).

And to even think that I was hoping that I will be able to do n Dragonstar /n BRP, with an NPC companion, as those do not have group finder support... oh well...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on April 21, 2021 12:42PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh. I can not think of a nFG1 (with auto group finder) when someone died at that boss, let alone entire group got wiped. Even at very low level.

If max level companion is getting killed at the one of the easiest boss in the game (many overland are harder) then... what is the use case for companions ? If I make one to be a healer, then the only thing they will replace is Pale Order ring.

My only idea is that maybe they can be somehow tuned into some kind of sustain-healer, so maybe mobs won't attack them. Also maybe it can be combined with some health recovery, so you could solo some dungeons that have long unbreakable stun with dot (like FG2 boss).

And to even think that I was hoping that I will be able to do n Dragonstar n / BRP, with an NPC companion, as those do not have group finder support... oh well...

They have to just not die. Don't need to be great healers, tanks or DPS. Just live. Otherwise they become a liability as opposed to simply being meh.
  • Chriagon
    Chriagon
    ✭✭✭

Wait, what? They can't even do that? I didn't expect much, but that's more than disappointing.
  • Drygon
    Drygon
    ✭✭✭

And to even think that I was hoping that I will be able to do n Dragonstar n / BRP, with an NPC companion, as those do not have group finder support... oh well...

They could help but will die to aoe, Mirri goes invisible to lose agro but stays still until the skill runs out, so a boss aoe would make her paste... They are barely aware of their surroundings and do stuff mostly on a timer.

If alive a healer might replace pale order but as they are right now pale order is still better, and for sorcerer clanfear is a lot better and easier to manage.
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

They have to just not die. Don't need to be great healers, tanks or DPS. Just live. Otherwise they become a liability as opposed to simply being meh.

But, but, but... undying tank? undying healer? dds? sounds like great. They need to be BALANCED, and we know what it means. It will never happen.