The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

CLOSED THREAD

HowellQagan
HowellQagan
✭✭✭
I'm pretty sure something changed, I can't get this to 1-hit enemies reliably anymore.

Before if I was
- hidden
- doing a fully charged heavy attack
- while flanking
it would always
- perform the sneak attack bonus
- and make it a guaranteed crit
- AND stun the enemy.
This is in PvE.
It feels like the sneak attack bonus was sneakily nerfed, whether on purpose or by accident. From the dozen attempts I made, it feels like it only works with your actual critchance and is not a guaranteed crit anymore either. The stun and boosted damage are not even executed.

Question: Anyone else experiencing the same?
@ devs: Is this intended?
Edited by HowellQagan on June 1, 2021 4:57PM
That annoying dude on PC-EU.

Best Answer

• ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Hey folks,

We wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue and working on a fix.

Once we have an additional update we will let you know, but this fix will not be in the next incremental patch. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue.
    Staff Post
    Answer ✓
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    Its likely critical damage i tested mine from sneak also and the damage is completely gone its like trying to sneak attack with malacath pre patch straight butter

Hell malacath might actually be a buff to whats currently there lol
    imma try it and i swear if malacath gives me more damage from sneak because critical damage is bugged out completely then zos is going to see me nerd rage
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭
    Its likely critical damage i tested mine from sneak also and the damage is completely gone its like trying to sneak attack with malacath pre patch straight butter

Hell malacath might actually be a buff to whats currently there lol
    imma try it and i swear if malacath gives me more damage from sneak because critical damage is bugged out completely then zos is going to see me nerd rage

The thing is that even if it crits, it does not stun. That's part of the sneak attack mechanic, so I think it's completely disabled.
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    the stun thing had been going in and out lately prior to the patch i noticed that one in PvP a bit over the past few weeks people werent getting stunned from a flanked sneak attack
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭
    the stun thing had been going in and out lately prior to the patch i noticed that one in PvP a bit over the past few weeks people werent getting stunned from a flanked sneak attack

PvP might have been different for a while, iirc. But I'm pretty sure it worked last week in PvE. I sometimes play with a fistfighter build that would do sneak attacks of up to 35-37k damage and also stun Cliff Striders and now it barely does 7k+ when it doesn't crit and no stun.
    Edited by HowellQagan on March 8, 2021 8:47PM
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the critical chance hitting from sneak isnt there also now i had to test it vs 4 mobs before i got an actual crit even running mechanical acuity
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    9k dizzy swing from sneak on a trash merc mob in the gold coast when i used malacath i got 11k Lol ....so they butchered something
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    no reason to go 2 hander axe till this mess is fixed now i gota redo my CP again and completely take off all the critical damage CPs if their doing nothing

Even when i finally got a crit from sneak off a mob it was way lower then what it had been if critical damage was there it shoulda least been the same or higher but not 10k lower
    Edited by Stellarvorous on March 8, 2021 8:52PM
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is not working for me either.
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    Tested my Cro blastbone still crits from sneak so its definitely has to do with the player might redo the CP and test with the critical damage mods again and see ill keep ya informed lol
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    CP for Critical damage specifically BackStabber does appear to be affecting blastbones from sneak when i flank with the sneak crit it does more like 2k extra so something is there for summons

Now ill test without backstabber

Kk Tested without backstabber there was a 2k drop in damage tested with out finesse there was also a drop both affected blastbones
    Edited by Stellarvorous on March 8, 2021 10:02PM
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭
    Tested my Cro blastbone still crits from sneak so its definitely has to do with the player might redo the CP and test with the critical damage mods again and see ill keep ya informed lol

You should check whether it stuns from flank sneak or not, if that doesn't work, the whole mechanic is busted.
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    Blastbones doesnt stun from sneak it never has because its not the player doing the damage only way to test something like that would be warden Sub assault that used to stun from sneak because it was technically the warden doing the damage

blastbones cant proc sets like mechanical acuity so im pretty certain on that bit i could get on my den after i test my cro some more and see whats happening but enough of my tests have yielded critical damage is not being applied to the player at all

auto crit from sneak via the player is gone iv had a few sneak crits via my own attacks but they were rare naturally due to the butchered critical chance even when i got a crit with mechanical it was wet

Im also 95% sure that the 2 hander axe passive racial khajiit passives are not also working so w/e they did was a blanket critical damage nerf for the player which would explain why everyone said in the PTS their damage had dropped because if no one was getting any critical damage despite all these new passives and sources then its clear Zos done goofed

Confirmed sneak stun is gone even on sub assault though sub is stil critting from sneak and doing similar numbers that i used to get when i ran it in the past so maybe they sneak nerfed sneak? either way the critical damage i still gota test that for sub
    Edited by Stellarvorous on March 8, 2021 10:36PM
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    Backstabber and Finesse does seem to be affecting sub assault also but the damage difference is so minor for what the numbers claim to be stacking both the weapon damage CPs would probably be better with a 2 hander sword rather then infesting in crit damage atm

Took the CP out of both backstabber and finesse and dumped them into the weapon damage CPs and slotted a 2 hander sword instead of axe damage went up by almost 5k instantly
    Edited by Stellarvorous on March 8, 2021 10:47PM
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My khajiit nightblade can confirm that sneak attacks are busted!

Also occasionly getting 12-15k crits from poison enchantment using bow.
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy sneak attacks seem to be gone entirely.

Sneak attack bonuses still trigger with some skills, but not reliably.

I hope this is a bug, because it is very bothersome!
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • FauxHunter
    FauxHunter
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm sneak attacks are bugged. No attacks from stealth, including both abilities and light/heavy attacks, are guaranteed crits after the update. Also as noted above the stun is not working either.

Hope it gets fixed quickly!
    -Orion Snow-Lichen
    Bosmer Hunting Warden
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If zos accidentally removed the stun from sneak/flank combo it would be the best thing ever. It's one of the buggiest and most abused mechanisms in the game and is one of the main offenders to stuff like snipe desyncs.

Goos riddance:)
    Edited by Qbiken on March 9, 2021 6:42AM
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    If zos accidentally removed the stun from sneak/flank combo it would be the best thing ever. It's one of the buggiest and most abused mechanisms in the game and is one of the main offenders to stuff like snipe desyncs.

I remember reading that it may have been disabled in PvP at some point (or maybe it was the guaranteed crit?), so I don't see why they couldn't just do that and leave it in PvE.
    Edited by HowellQagan on March 9, 2021 4:05PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not working on my end either, bump for visibility.

Eat a snickers.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno sorry to tag you early in the morning, but can you confirm if this is intentional or not?

The issue: flanking stealth attacks no longer grant additional damage, a guaranteed crit, or the stun associated with striking from stealth. I will get a video soon and edit this post.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

Eat a snickers.

No u :)

Feel free to explain why such a toxic and obnoxious mechanic should exist in the game? What kind of reliable counterplay does someone in PvP (since this mechanic got no relevance in PvE to speak off) has to someone in stealth/sneak when they use a ranged skill 30-40m away that will stun desync them? I´ll help and answer that question for you:

Absolutely 0 reliable counterplay

Unless the description of a skill states that it will stun a target when certain conditions are met, it shouldn´t stun just because you´re flanking someone while in stealth/sneak. Especially when this mechanic is one of the main reasons to desyncs. You´re essentially asking ZOS to bring back a mechanic causing numerous bugs that´s been plauging the game for years.

All I can say is that I hope it doesn´t make it way back and we can have a more enjoyable PvP experience (relatively speaking)

• HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭

Feel free to explain why such a toxic and obnoxious mechanic should exist in the game? What kind of reliable counterplay does someone in PvP (since this mechanic got no relevance in PvE to speak off) has to someone in stealth/sneak when they use a ranged skill 30-40m away that will stun desync them? I´ll help and answer that question for you:

Unless the description of a skill states that it will stun a target when certain conditions are met, it shouldn´t stun just because you´re flanking someone while in stealth/sneak. Especially when this mechanic is one of the main reasons to desyncs. You´re essentially asking ZOS to bring back a mechanic causing numerous bugs that´s been plauging the game for years.

All I can say is that I hope it doesn´t make it way back and we can have a more enjoyable PvP experience (relatively speaking)

Tbf I don't even care if they take away the stun, at least give the guaranteed crit/extra damage back.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Eat a snickers.

iQQ7fOK.jpg?1

• Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Has anyone seen confirmation from Zenimax as to this. I am in the dark. Is it intended? It is quite a big change and I don't know how to react.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Has anyone seen confirmation from Zenimax as to this. I am in the dark. Is it intended? It is quite a big change and I don't know how to react.

A change such as this would have been called out in the patch notes as it would be a major nerf to stealth gameplay,so surely must be a bug.

Send up the @ZOS_GinaBruno signal.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep Ive been getting the same since theupdate went live. Only tried in pve zones for obvious reasons.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure something changed, I can't get this to 1-hit enemies reliably anymore.

Before if I was
    - hidden
    - doing a fully charged heavy attack
    - while flanking
    it would always
    - perform the sneak attack bonus
    - and make it a guaranteed crit
    - AND stun the enemy.
    This is in PvE.
    It feels like the sneak attack bonus was sneakily nerfed, whether on purpose or by accident. From the dozen attempts I made, it feels like it only works with your actual critchance and is not a guaranteed crit anymore either. The stun and boosted damage are not even executed.

Question: Anyone else experiencing the same?
    @ devs: Is this intended?

Me too. Stealthed heavy attacks from the rear are not getting any sneak attack bonus or stun, and are not even critting. This on a character that can literally get pushed out of the way by walking guards without it breaking stealth.
    PC EU
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭
    On topic: Just tested a theory that it was weapon enchants somehow proccing first and stealing the crit/causing the lack of stun. Can confirm that is not the case.
    @DocFrost72 Yeah, I also do heavy sneak attacks with a fistfighter build I use for questing in PvE, I actually rely on it because I can 1-hit most enemies with it, while it takes a bit longer to kill stuff normally (without a weapon), and I actually noticed with that build, so yeah, it's definitely not something enchant/poison related.
  • Ringod123
    Ringod123
    ✭✭✭
    How many of us need to confirm that we all have the bug before anyone at ZOS even just responds to us, definitely not intended as there are still skills/passives that buff the stun from sneak attacks, would be nice for them to actually test a patch before pushing it life, or even just to actually respond to glaring bugs within a timely manner.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.