The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Should ESO make an option to turn off Mystery Meat/Mudballs, etc

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MisterGibs wrote: »
    There.
    unknown.png

Throwing it at a guard already is a criminal act. Good way to troll the mudball thrower is to hide behind a guard.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    renne wrote: »
    I don't know why you're suddenly stating it's a "fact" that there's a lot of reports of griefing with mudballs, because they absolutely did not say there were a lot of reports? They were saying their WOULD be because people would report at the first sign of mudball.

Let me clarify. I did not mean to state that as a fact, but rather was referring to the quoted poster saying "There are people out there who will file a report as soon as the first mudball is thrown and Zos is going to have to look at each individual report to see which ones are/are not legitimate."

I should have said IF a lot of people would report this at the first sign of mudball, THEN there would be a lot of reports, which would indicate a problem that needs to be addressed.

Zos has made it clear that pretty much any action can be considered harassment but that they would have to look at each case on its own merits. They have also made it equally clear that someone doing something like throwing a mudball once is not considered harassment. One requirement they listed was asking the person to stop which would require them to do the same action again, at least once but maybe more, for it to be considered harassment.

I expect there can be a case where Zos would consider tossing mudballs harassment without the person being told to stop, but ti would probably have to be a lot more mudballs thrown at the same person or specific group than one.

Again, this has not been a hotbed issue for the several years mudballs have been around and I seriously doubt Zos would make the mudball moment virtually useless which is what a toggle would do.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MisterGibs wrote: »
    There.
    unknown.png

This is one thing I could see them doing, but not during the vent since that would be problematic. It would not mean people would not toss mudballs in cities outside of the event because we can still do criminal acts in cities without issue if we are not caught.
    Options
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one would like a toggle that changes everyone elses color scheme to not be white on my screen after labor day. It stresses me out.
    Options
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give players an option to Turn off PVE interactions with other players (No picking up or even seeing meats, or getting hit with balls, etc)
    Guyle wrote: »
    I for one would like a toggle that changes everyone elses color scheme to not be white on my screen after labor day. It stresses me out.

And if you could get 6 pages of people talking about it might make the devs take notice.
    Options
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »

And if you could get 6 pages of people talking about it might make the devs take notice.

If I tell other ppl it stresses me out and to stop wearing white after labor day, and they continue to do so, can I report them for harassment?
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Logic would suggest Zos will not render a moment useless and a toggle would do just that.

If this is a real issue there are significantly better solutions that have been brought up. Then again, it seems some are reporting being hit by a single mudball which is doubtful Zos considers that harassment based on the very specific comments they have made and I have provided earlier.
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No on the mystery meat because you can use it to mess up bot train pathings and they would just use that option,
    yes to the mudball memento and throw in the crown crate mounts into that option while you're at it.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give players an option to Turn off PVE interactions with other players (No picking up or even seeing meats, or getting hit with balls, etc)
    idk wrote: »

Logic would suggest Zos will not render a moment useless and a toggle would do just that.

If this is a real issue there are significantly better solutions that have been brought up. Then again, it seems some are reporting being hit by a single mudball which is doubtful Zos considers that harassment based on the very specific comments they have made and I have provided earlier.

People have different ideas of harassment and different ideas on how to fix this issue.

Momentos, by their very nature, are "useless". People have suggested to make them show animations client side only, as other things in the game do (survey writs, treasure chests, being on a quest)

Other games fixed this issue without a problem. ESO leaving it in says a lot about how much they care about their playerbase.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I tell other ppl it stresses me out and to stop wearing white after labor day, and they continue to do so, can I report them for harassment?

You lost me. Could you explain that more fully? I don't honestly see what that has to do with the use of mementos (and um - yeah guys, the word is memento NOT "momento"....)
    Edited by Sylvermynx on December 3, 2020 4:46AM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People have different ideas of harassment

I agree that people have different ideas about harassment. However, in the end, it is Zos that determines what is and is not harassment in the game that deserves action.

I have provided the comment that Zos has made concerning a very relatable situation which provides the best guidance we have for this scenario.

Other games fixed this issue without a problem. ESO leaving it in says a lot about how much they care about their playerbase.

I am no aware of other games having a mudball moment. Good to know.

Again again, there have been multiple suggestions made in this thread that provide a more logical resolution than rendering a moment virtually unusable.
    Edited by idk on December 3, 2020 4:54AM
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the interactions entirely
    And in the end, it's ZoS who determines whether or not to implement a toggle.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

You lost me. Could you explain that more fully? I don't honestly see what that has to do with the use of mementos (and um - yeah guys, the word is memento NOT "momento"....)

Just having some fun with the notion of how deep down the rabbit hole we can go. We seem to be living in the great age of Ego Offendi, Ergo Sum.
    Options
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely needs an option to turn them off.
    People who throw this stuff at you are annoying. It reminds me of a school playground, where you're walking around normally and then some idiots targets you with an egg or whatever for no reason.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Just having some fun with the notion of how deep down the rabbit hole we can go. We seem to be living in the great age of Ego Offendi, Ergo Sum.

Ah. Gotcha.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We seem to be living in the great age of Ego Offendi, Ergo Sum.

It appears to me we are living in the great age of "It's ok to bully people, and we will try to justify it by saying it's just a game".

PCNA
    Options
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    So uh......

How does one acquire said Mystery Meat/Mudballs?
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a clue about the mystery meat. Mudballs happen during New Life Festival.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Mud_Ball_Miscreant
    Edited by Sylvermynx on December 3, 2020 10:08PM
    Options
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think Optional / Options are always good... I also find the Mudballs (outside of one location during the New Life Festival) annoying... I also understand some folks have fun tossing mudballs at random strangers... but where is the line between your fun and mine come into play? As an example I will take PvP... Many people like PvP and that's fine, I am not one of them, in fact I really loath PvP... so I try really hard to stay out of Cyrodiil, the imperial city and battlegrounds... simple choice... have I been in those places? yes, but I chose to try to help a friend...

The option to ignore the mudballs and such could be like the option not to duel when challenged, I have the option checked and I have no real idea what others see when they try to challenge me, I don't much care what they see, their actions did not affect me and whatever it tells them, they can go on to challenge others who may actually play along... Ignoring the pies meats and mudballs could and should be the same, you can still toss them at me all you like, I would just not have my game affected by it, both of us have fun, you can think you are annoying me, and I can be oblivious to you... best of both worlds.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
    Options
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just leave it be
    Options
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're getting stressed out over this, you've been very fortunate in 2020.

I've had a friend die of COVID this year and other friends have had it and I haven't seen portions of my immediate family in months, and the last thing I need is to be playing the game I play to try to distract myself from the *** storm that is life now and have some rando whackjob decide to follow me around for ten minutes mudballing me because they're bored.That has happened to me *numerous* times. I had a friend not believe that this could even be possible and thought I was exaggerating, and shortly after that discussion I wayshrined to her to show her my new outfit and someone started repeatedly mudballing me right there. It's called "bad luck" and some of us have it. I hope your high horse throws you into a pile of manure.
    Options
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We seem to be living in the great age of Ego Offendi, Ergo Sum.

It appears to me we are living in the great age of "It's ok to bully people, and we will try to justify it by saying it's just a game".

I disagree. Bullying is something that has always been an issue, but in todays social climate, awareness and resistance to it is far more wide spread than a few decades earlier. Individuals can pariah themselves through acts of bullying.

Granted, it is sometimes still celebrated amongst some circles, but outcry against it is louder now than I have ever seen it before. Sometimes too loudly, as I feel like issues like these, where someone's digital character is being pelted by a digital mudball that doesnt actually do anything, are being labeled as bullying, when for the most part it is just silly shenanigans.

I am sure there are specific instances where it does venture into the realm of harassment and could be legitimately labeled as bullying, but I have personally never seen it - even when there are individuals who are relentless with it. I have been the target of repeated mudballs in the game before, and after a brief and playful, "WHO DONE IT?!?!?! I'MA GET YOU!!!," it gets boring and I carry about my business. If it continues to happen, at most it runs the risk of re-enticing me into the who done it, but more likely I just tune it out.

Ultimately, this is just a game, and while that doesn't make bullying alright, I do think we should be a little more flexible in our definitions of what is bullying and harassment. If your investment in a moment in the game is so personal, that you allow it to victimize you, maybe it is useful to take a step back and remind yourself that it is in fact a game.

I know there are some malignant individuals out there trying to offend at times, but for the most part I think some people are just engaging in play and childishness, sometimes too far that it enters the negative realm, but for the most part innocent play and childishness.

In any case, my original point was, where does it stop? Slippery slope is by definition a fallacious argument, but it holds relevance here - when we define such a simple thing as someone throwing a mudball at you in a video game as a form of harassment - where do we stop using that label? Are we going to suck every little bit of life out of something in order to compensate for some ppls vivid interpretations of actions?

A very wise man once told me, and I'm paraphrasing a bit here, the world is going to be what the world is, and other people will be who they are, how you react and what you take from that are your choice.
    Edited by Guyle on December 4, 2020 12:04AM
    Options
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohh and just to be clear, I'm not trying to sound preachy or high on my pedestal or anything. I've been guilty of this too, and can use the same reminder at those times.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't read that.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't read that.

I edited it into paragraph form. Apart from that, not sure what I can do to make it more legible for you.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like issues like these, where someone's digital character is being pelted by a digital mudball that doesnt actually do anything, are being labeled as bullying, when for the most part it is just silly shenanigans.

This is exactly what I said is happening... justifying the questionable action. What you consider "silly shenigans" can be very irritating to someone else. And why are you engaging a stranger in your activity anyway?

In any case, my original point was, where does it stop?

It stops when the action stops. If someone tells you to knock it off, then knock it off.

Ohh and just to be clear, I'm not trying to sound preachy or high on my pedestal or anything. I've been guilty of this too, and can use the same reminder at those times.

I'm not guilty of anything. I have the right to enjoy my game without strangers having "fun" at my expense.
    Edited by SilverBride on December 4, 2020 1:42AM
    PCNA
    Options
  • AliRay
    AliRay
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like issues like these, where someone's digital character is being pelted by a digital mudball that doesnt actually do anything, are being labeled as bullying, when for the most part it is just silly shenanigans.

This is exactly what I said is happening... justifying the questionable action. What you consider "silly shenigans" can be very irritating to someone else. And why are you engaging a stranger in your activity anyway?

It stops when the action stops. If someone tells you to knock it off, then knock it off.

Why are you engaging with someone...in an MMO...that's designed to interact with other players...by the devs...of the MMO...really, this question is ridiculous. If you don't want to be interacted with then play a single player RPG, or if you want to be in an MMO and not be pelted go buy an outfit station and put it in your house and block anyone from entering. Problem solved. You're arguing with another player about something that Devs coded into the game, if you don't like it, bark at them. Honestly I don't know why people get so upset about other people interacting with them IN AN MMO. Cmon ppl. Also just because you're irritated doesn't mean you're being harassed. If they follow you for hours pelting you, yeah that's harassment. If someone follows you down the street yelling at you, that's harassment. Throwing a mudball at you a time or few in a video game on your computer or console is NOT harassment. I think there are quite a few people in the world that can tell you what true harassment it. I feel like maybe you're bullying people who are trying to engage in the game the way it's designed to stop just because you're annoyed. Okay that might be stretching it but you get my point.
    Options
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not justifying a questionable action at all, I am flat out stating that what you find as irritating, probably isn't meant to be irritating in the first place. I myself have thrown a few mudballs at complete strangers, not to annoy or harass them, but to be silly and playful. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I do actually find it truly surprising that some ppl get that upset by it. And I don't think I need to make a compelling argument that someone tossing a few mudballs around isn't in fact purposefully trying to annoy ppl, I would think the community at large accepts it as just that, a playful memento not meant to annoy or harass, but to be silly with. I understand it can be irritating to the few, but thats where my saying its your choice what you do with what the world presents you becomes important.

And you misunderstood my statement, when I asked where does it stop, I meant what is the point where ppl finally calm down and just exist without getting uppety about every little thing they can? Only after we have bled the life out of everything that can be fun, because a few ppl get upset by it? If you tell someone to stop, they should, if they persist, then you can call it harassment, if it is indeed pointedly directed at you. But you cant make the blanket statement that anyone who uses these mementos is a harasser, a malcontent, meant to annoy everyone around them, because thats just not true.

And why are ppl engaging strangers in an activity? I dunno, maybe cuz its an MMO? I mean seriously, its a memento designed entirely for interacting with other players, there is no rule book that says you can only use it on ppl you know lol.
    Options
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funnily this poll doesn't have a no change option. Almost as if it were a biased poll in which case why even create said poll?
    Options
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is an animation that plays when you get hit by a mudball. Your character stops, and gestures as though wiping off the mud. It is annoying enough during the festival when people are working on event quests/achievements. It is annoying enough to be harassment when it is done continuously at a crafting or outfit station.

You actually can keep moving and doing whatever you were doing while your character does said animation it doesn't prevent movement.
    Options