The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Reconstruction Cost Needs To Be Increased

chuynh729
chuynh729
This might be an unpopular opinion.

But I don't understand why the ability to create any gear, with any trait, should cost only 25 transmute stones (and no trait stones). Right now, simply just altering the trait of an already existing item costs 50 transmute stones. With such a low cost, wouldn't this new system make the current transmutation system pointless?

I understand 25 transmute stones is the cost only if you've unlocked every piece of gear from the set. But in my opinion, that "downside" is largely irrelevant because it would only be a matter of time before people get to that point. Part of the fun of this game (and every MMO) is the grind - few things make me as excited as when the last piece of gear I needed finally drops. The reconstruction system will be fun for the first few weeks when people are still collecting gear. But afterwards, a large part of the motivation for doing dungeons, trials, or other content will be almost entirely gone because they can simply "craft" the gear. It'll be a grind for transmute stones. Why spend 20-30 minutes running a dungeon or trial when I can get tier 1 in Cyrodiil campaign and be guaranteed any 2 pieces of a gear set with BiS trait in the same amount of time?

Don't get me wrong - I think the recollection & reconstruction systems are amazing. I can finally clear my bank of the 300 pieces of gear that I saved without worrying about "what if" scenarios.
Sometimes the grind for a single piece of gear is so bad that I don't even feel happy when I finally get it - but rather, "finally, what a **** waste of time". I would love to have the option to avoid those kind of grinds. But I also want the cost to be significant enough that I actually have to think about whether or not it's worth the transmute stones. With a cost of only 25 stones, which is literally half the cost of transmuting an off-trait weapon, the choice is obvious. Getting the weapon you're looking for already requires luck. But you'll also need to roll the right trait to make running the content worth it over simply reconstructing it, because transmuting costs double the amount of stones.

I think a minimum cost of somewhere around 100 transmute stones to reconstruct an item would be much better.
  • Mappy2kx
    Mappy2kx
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you care so much ! If was expensive I'm sure the players whould complained a lot , so now when is OK ishhh , because the main price is starting from 75 and going down if you have all the items from that set . So , who do you think has all the items ? And the jewels ! Gizzz ! I think the avaregeost would be around 35-45 trans stones , because not everyone will have all the pieces from the desired set! So , 25 is ok ! I would prefered to pay the crafting mats and not the trans stones !
    M
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you thought the other way an maybe the cost of changing an items trait is now to high and needs to be lower and if full set is needed for 25 to be cost have traits know lower cost for normal use and make starting 30 and decrees by 2 per trait known making lowest cost 12 if you know all traits
  • chuynh729
    chuynh729
    Mappy2kx wrote: »
    Why do you care so much ! If was expensive I'm sure the players whould complained a lot , so now when is OK ishhh , because the main price is starting from 75 and going down if you have all the items from that set . So , who do you think has all the items ? And the jewels ! Gizzz ! I think the avaregeost would be around 35-45 trans stones , because not everyone will have all the pieces from the desired set! So , 25 is ok ! I would prefered to pay the crafting mats and not the trans stones !

Like I said, the fact that you need every piece of gear from the set hardly matters - because it's only a matter of time before you collect them all. And once you do, farming for gear will be a waste of time when you can just reconstruct for 25 stones.

100 stones to reconstruct any piece of gear, with any trait, is not "expensive". It's a fair price to pay (and even a low one honestly, for things like vDSA / vMA weapons). 25 on the other hand is simply too low. Transmuting costs double that.

I care because I don't want dungeons & trials to be irrelevant a few months down the line (aside from grinding achievements), once people have already collected every gear piece.
    Edited by chuynh729 on October 5, 2020 8:46AM
  • bharathitman
    bharathitman
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand where you are coming from but not everyone is willing to reconstruct gold items at a lower Transmute Cost (provided they have enough items of that set) because of financial reasons
    1. Reconstructing a gold piece of jewelry would cost you 4x Chromium Platings, 3x Zircon Plating and a few other materials. The cost itself adds upto 400k+ on PC/EU. Transmuting an existing piece gold jewelry will be preferred by many players
    2. Similarly reconstructing gold medium and light armor pieces will be expensive as well

There will be a few cases where reconstructing might turn out to be cheaper and efficient, and there will be a few cases where transmuting will be better (Monster Sets, Arena Weapons).And in some cases it boils down to which resource do you value more? Gold / Mats or Transmute Stones?. I would say the proposed system is fair and enough options for everyone
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopped reading after, “part of the fun is the grind”.

The most fun in this game is having access to the wildly varying play styles that the game allows. From my 15k health bow/bow vamp warden, to my heavy armor brawler DK. Having access to create and try out all the different builds imaginable is the core of the gameplay loop. If repeating the same thing over and over is your idea of fun, then I can safely say you do not speak for me.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • chuynh729
    chuynh729
    I understand where you are coming from but not everyone is willing to reconstruct gold items at a lower Transmute Cost (provided they have enough items of that set) because of financial reasons
    1. Reconstructing a gold piece of jewelry would cost you 4x Chromium Platings, 3x Zircon Plating and a few other materials. The cost itself adds upto 400k+ on PC/EU. Transmuting an existing piece gold jewelry will be preferred by many players
    2. Similarly reconstructing gold medium and light armor pieces will be expensive as well

There will be a few cases where reconstructing might turn out to be cheaper and efficient, and there will be a few cases where transmuting will be better (Monster Sets, Arena Weapons).And in some cases it boils down to which resource do you value more? Gold / Mats or Transmute Stones?. I would say the proposed system is fair and enough options for everyone

Yea, for certain things like jewelry that can drop in gold, reconstruction isn't worth it. That's a good point.
    But reconstruction will still be preferred in more than just a "few" cases. It'll be preferable for everything except jewelry. Monster sets don't drop in gold iirc. Arena weapons either except for the leaderboard reward. To get the arena weapon you'd still need to run the arena. vMA and vDSA both typically take 40+ minutes to run, and you're not guaranteed the correct weapon. I think 25 transmute stones is a small price to pay for the correct weapon with the correct trait.
    Edited by chuynh729 on October 5, 2020 9:12AM
  • chuynh729
    chuynh729

The most fun in this game is having access to the wildly varying play styles that the game allows. From my 15k health bow/bow vamp warden, to my heavy armor brawler DK. Having access to create and try out all the different builds imaginable is the core of the gameplay loop. If repeating the same thing over and over is your idea of fun, then I can safely say you do not speak for me.

which you can do regardless of reconstruction cost thanks to the full refund in transmute stones when you deconstruct.

• Iron_Blurr
    Iron_Blurr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grinding for gear will need to be done once to get each set piece. Why should it need to be done over and over for other characters? There are plenty of other activities to do in the game besides grinding. Who cares if less people spend time grinding for set pieces. Maybe now they will finally have time to other things like grind the psijic skill line on their 10th character or get fishing achievements or spend more time in the returning battlegrounds.
    I don't wana hear people saying theres nothing to do now that they dont have to grind and find out their achievement points are under 10k. There's plenty to do right now people just never had the time to do it.
  • bharathitman
    bharathitman
    ✭✭✭✭
    chuynh729 wrote: »

Yea, for certain things like jewelry that can drop in gold, reconstruction isn't worth it. That's a good point.
    But reconstruction will still be preferred in more than just a "few" cases. It'll be preferable for everything except jewelry. Monster sets don't drop in gold iirc. Arena weapons either except for the leaderboard reward. To get the arena weapon you'd still need to run the arena. vMA and vDSA both typically take 40+ minutes to run, and you're not guaranteed the correct weapon. I think 25 transmute stones is a small price to pay for the correct weapon with the correct trait.

Cost of reconstructing an arena weapon will still be high, as the sets are subclassified. For vMA it will be crushing wall for Ice, Inferno and Lightning. So the cost of reconstruction will be 75,70,65 (if you own all three).Similar logic applies to monster sets too
  • chuynh729
    chuynh729
    Iron_Blurr wrote: »
    Grinding for gear will need to be done once to get each set piece. Why should it need to be done over and over for other characters? There are plenty of other activities to do in the game besides grinding. Who cares if less people spend time grinding for set pieces. Maybe now they will finally have time to other things like grind the psijic skill line on their 10th character or get fishing achievements or spend more time in the returning battlegrounds.
    I don't wana hear people saying theres nothing to do now that they dont have to grind and find out their achievement points are under 10k. There's plenty to do right now people just never had the time to do it.

The feeling of progression, getting stronger as you get better gear, has always been one of the core elements of any MMO. ESO already has very little of that compared to other games. Alts can do just fine with a crafted set of gear. But if you're trying to get BiS gear on every character that you have, I think that should require some effort.
  • chuynh729
    chuynh729

Cost of reconstructing an arena weapon will still be high, as the sets are subclassified. For vMA it will be crushing wall for Ice, Inferno and Lightning. So the cost of reconstruction will be 75,70,65 (if you own all three).Similar logic applies to monster sets too

Ah, I didn't do enough research about the system then. Thought it'd be something like 75, 50, 25.
  • Czekoludek
    Czekoludek
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, I didn't do enough research about the system then. Thought it'd be something like 75, 50, 25.

It is 75, 50, 25. But still, to use this functionality with only 25 transmute cost you need a lot more grinding then before. New system is great for ppl who wants to play alts and with bank space problems. Great solution for many old problems
  • frozzzen101
    frozzzen101
    ✭✭✭✭
    Primarily this system will be used to gear alts. When you get those advancing yokeda daggers/axes, you can reconstruct them to use on multiple stam based characters for example. So some of excessive normal grind will be cut, people won't hoard those items and will be able to give them away easier without fear of gimping their alts etc. Don't think it will affect ratio of vet trials being done because unless you are really rich, you won't be reconstructing golden trial jewelery sets because it would likely cost you 1M gold upwards.

And 25 crystals per piece is exceptionally deceptive. I'm sure people don't hoard false god's axes, greatswords and shields. So likely cost will be somewhere in the middle around 50 crystals for the time being. Just reconstructing gear for one alt will cost you a ton, especially if you are healer/tank that have multiple gear options, and not even dds have one size to fit them all gear.

And I did math, if I went to reconstruct generic bis gear for my stam character (ay + p.relequen + maarselok + bow) with stuff I have now banked, it would cost me 650 transmute crystals which is far more than my current monthly income of geodes from pvp.

Honestly I think you are overreacting a bit. As much flak we give to ZoS, this system is really well thought out.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Primarily this system will be used to gear alts. When you get those advancing yokeda daggers/axes, you can reconstruct them to use on multiple stam based characters for example. So some of excessive normal grind will be cut, people won't hoard those items and will be able to give them away easier without fear of gimping their alts etc. Don't think it will affect ratio of vet trials being done because unless you are really rich, you won't be reconstructing golden trial jewelery sets because it would likely cost you 1M gold upwards.

And 25 crystals per piece is exceptionally deceptive. I'm sure people don't hoard false god's axes, greatswords and shields. So likely cost will be somewhere in the middle around 50 crystals for the time being. Just reconstructing gear for one alt will cost you a ton, especially if you are healer/tank that have multiple gear options, and not even dds have one size to fit them all gear.

And I did math, if I went to reconstruct generic bis gear for my stam character (ay + p.relequen + maarselok + bow) with stuff I have now banked, it would cost me 650 transmute crystals which is far more than my current monthly income of geodes from pvp.

Honestly I think you are overreacting a bit. As much flak we give to ZoS, this system is really well thought out.

Absolutely agree with this. As someone who tends to have all my alts have their own set of gear (and a pretty good stockpile of transmute geodes), I can be pretty frugal with my resources. I will not be spending transmutes to make an alt a full set of gear using the reconstruction system. It'll be nice for maybe some of the harder to get pieces of sets like weapons or arena weapons but I'd rather still farm than spend transmute crystals for 12-13 pieces, even at 25 crystals each. I can also see myself using it to craft a second staff that I can put a prismatic on for certain content which I don't do now because it's too expensive to swap the glyph and my alts generally get "dibs" on extra arena weapons or BiS weapons.

I'd actually more concerned about the impact reconstruction will have on undaunted keys. 25 crystals for right weight/trait or x keys for RNG? Maybe we'll get some new stuff available for keys now.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just don't

2fn2lpgb0jh4.png
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the fun of this game (and every MMO) is the grind - few things make me as excited as when the last piece of gear I needed finally drops.

Nope, the grind is one of the worst parts of MMOs. Maybe, but just maybe, beat by toxic players. Which fortunately are rather rare in eso.

If you think 100 transmute crystal is a fairer price. And you enjoy the grind so much.

Just craft 4 pieces each time and destroy 3 of them.

Problem solved for the grind lovers and the grind haters.....
    ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • Sirvaleen
    Sirvaleen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has the announced "slight" increase on transmute cristals drops in PvE even been tested ? Because for players never doing any PvP, even that "low" cost of 25 per item can represent a lot.

It would be nice not to ask for nerfs on new QoL items/systems based on speculations..
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grinding is fun ? Then eso is not the game for you.
    Try good old Lineage II, gonna love that grind fest :)

Also, what is fun for you might be not for other.
    I've the most fun my making fun build and theory craft new meta when a patch is coming.

For some people it's fishing, for some housing, for some trial title, etc..
    So, YOUR fun is not an argument.

Also if you think grinding all gear collection is easy I'm sur their is some people that will come to you and explain how they look for X item for some insane amount of time (like my Lightning staff hollowfang that I still didn't farming since the release of this DG..)
    So, not gonna be "a matter of time" but way more "a matter of luck".

I'm fine with this system though, more option is welcome, and cheaper option even more considering the number of set raider have to hoard for deal with every situation.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Amarthiul
    Amarthiul
    ✭✭✭
    Why spend 20-30 minutes running a dungeon or trial when I can get tier 1 in Cyrodiil campaign and be guaranteed any 2 pieces of a gear set with BiS trait in the same amount of time?

If the campaign is about to end, sure. Otherwise you're waiting up to 30 days for those transmutes.

I think it'll come down to the easiest place to get a reliable source of crystals. If trial / dungeon bosses (and by extension weekly coffers / pledges) provide enough, then people will still run them. Also remember the pain so many people have had getting things like a BSW inferno staff? That'll happen for pretty much every set when you're only after a few pieces to get the cost down.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But I don't understand why the ability to create any gear, with any trait, should cost only 25 transmute stones (and no trait stones). Right now, simply just altering the trait of an already existing item costs 50 transmute stones. With such a low cost, wouldn't this new system make the current transmutation system pointless?

I understand 25 transmute stones is the cost only if you've unlocked every piece of gear from the set. But in my opinion, that "downside" is largely irrelevant because it would only be a matter of time before people get to that point. Part of the fun of this game (and every MMO) is the grind - few things make me as excited as when the last piece of gear I needed finally drops. The reconstruction system will be fun for the first few weeks when people are still collecting gear. But afterwards, a large part of the motivation for doing dungeons, trials, or other content will be almost entirely gone because they can simply "craft" the gear. It'll be a grind for transmute stones. Why spend 20-30 minutes running a dungeon or trial when I can get tier 1 in Cyrodiil campaign and be guaranteed any 2 pieces of a gear set with BiS trait in the same amount of time?

Don't get me wrong - I think the recollection & reconstruction systems are amazing. I can finally clear my bank of the 300 pieces of gear that I saved without worrying about "what if" scenarios.
    Sometimes the grind for a single piece of gear is so bad that I don't even feel happy when I finally get it - but rather, "finally, what a **** waste of time". I would love to have the option to avoid those kind of grinds. But I also want the cost to be significant enough that I actually have to think about whether or not it's worth the transmute stones. With a cost of only 25 stones, which is literally half the cost of transmuting an off-trait weapon, the choice is obvious. Getting the weapon you're looking for already requires luck. But you'll also need to roll the right trait to make running the content worth it over simply reconstructing it, because transmuting costs double the amount of stones.

I think a minimum cost of somewhere around 100 transmute stones to reconstruct an item would be much better.

No.
    Eso has a ton of repeatable content already, gear grinding is still going to be a thing after this, absolutely no reason for it to cost 100 transmutes.
    If anything they should make transmiting 25 crystals too, to match.
    Eso is not liken other mmos where each new piece of content makes old gear completely obsolete and it's one of the best things about it.
    This system will reinforce that.
  • ebix_
    ebix_
    ✭✭✭✭
    so you saying they should make Reconstruction expensive to make transmutation look good , why don't you ask them to make transmutation cheaper instead .
    Edited by ebix_ on October 5, 2020 11:13AM
  • chuynh729
    chuynh729
    Aznarb wrote: »
    Grinding is fun ? Then eso is not the game for you.
    Try good old Lineage II, gonna love that grind fest :)

Also, what is fun for you might be not for other.
    I've the most fun my making fun build and theory craft new meta when a patch is coming.

For some people it's fishing, for some housing, for some trial title, etc..
    So, YOUR fun is not an argument.

Also if you think grinding all gear collection is easy I'm sur their is some people that will come to you and explain how they look for X item for some insane amount of time (like my Lightning staff hollowfang that I still didn't farming since the release of this DG..)
    So, not gonna be "a matter of time" but way more "a matter of luck".

I'm fine with this system though, more option is welcome, and cheaper option even more considering the number of set raider have to hoard for deal with every situation.

"Grind" was a poor choice of word on my part. But I thought I made it pretty clear that I don't like excessive grinding when I said "Sometimes the grind for a single piece of gear is so bad that I don't even feel happy when I finally get it - but rather, "finally, what a **** waste of time". I would love to have the option to avoid those kind of grinds"

But of course, some people decided to conveniently ignore that part and make me look like some grind-craving maniac that's completely out of touch with the community. Part of the fun & motivation of doing dungeons & trials is the anticipation of the gear you're going to get from it. If the gear can be simply crafted, that takes much of the fun away. This won't be an issue for a few months while people are still collecting gear, but it will almost definitely be an issue later down the line. Dungeon & Trial participation will be at an all time low.
    Edited by chuynh729 on October 5, 2020 11:21AM
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I can tell, Transmuting an item will only be for Jewelry and those that are yet to complete a set to have it under 50.

I am in a similar frame of mind to OP. I love the new system, and I'm fine with the cost.

I just believe that the pending increase in transmute supply they are considering might result in a scenario where transmutes become a burden. Costs 25 to make (if full set collected) get 25 back at decon.

I already know I'll just make a mule to store reconstructed items if I ever go beyond the transmute cap. Each item costing 25 transmutes and safely storing 25 transmutes.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I went on the PTS, based on the gear my characters currently hold, most of my items would cost 60+ transmutes to reconstruct. Actually farming for every single item in a set to bring the cost down to 25 is going to take a lot longer than just grinding for the 5 pieces you need.

So for the people who don't want to spend more than 25 transmutes if they can avoid it, this will actually make them repeat content a lot more.

Not to mention people like me, who see a sticker book and want to fill it in, regardless of whether the set is even useful.
    The Moot Councillor
  • StamPlar_1976
    StamPlar_1976
    ✭✭✭✭

Exactly. How can anyone think monotonous grinding just for the sake of it is fun?
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You will spend the remaining time gathering transmute crystals. Just because the system exists doesnt mean that no farming is done.
    If you want to fully equip a character with copied gear you end up paying 12x25 crystals, which is 300 total and this is only the case if you farmed every single piece. For normal sets this means 7 armor pieces and 15 jewelry/weapon pieces. For a single dungeon you have to kill the end boss 45 times without looting a duplicate. For a trial you are looking at 60 times. Thats alot of farming and alot of gear.
    Your cyrodiil example will only lead to 36 items top, thats 3 characters in one month. thats not that much.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks but no thanks. I prefer the costs at the level they are.

I for one do not want to grind out any weapon more than once, and I like that transmute crystals are going to be more available.
    Playing since beta...
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Exactly. How can anyone think monotonous grinding just for the sake of it is fun?

Because according to the OP, people will stop doing dungeons and raids. :#
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -blade of woes OP-

The land is safe again
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Mappy2kx
    Mappy2kx
    ✭✭✭
    Why is not free to reconstruct ? You already payed with your time to get that item in the first place ! Hope Micro will step in game harder:)
    M