Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hollowjack Motif "retired"?

Zulera301
Zulera301
✭✭✭✭✭
From the patch notes:
Many of the rewards from previous years have been removed from Plunder Skulls to increase your chances of getting the newer stuff, but don't fear! The Impresario sells a grab bag for 2 Event Tickets each that contain one random component that you have yet to unlock for these bygone treasures. The item fragments included in this grab bag include:

Spectre Mask
Hollowjack Motif
Apple-Bobbing Cauldron
Skeletal Marionette

@ZOS_GinaBruno is this going to be the only way to to obtain the Hollowjack Motif from here on out? because based on the wording, that would require at least 28 tickets (14 pages at 2 tickets each) to obtain every piece and thus the achievement, which seems... pretty steep.

(on the other hand, I do like the idea of retiring certain older items. Those companion style pages from the Anniversary Jubilees would be a fantastic candidate for this next April.)
Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
"Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hollowjack is super cheap in the Guild Stores from generous prior Events flooding the game with motif chapters, @Zulera301.

No player should have a problem obtaining it ... the vast majority of players will support the motif being converted to tickets.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hollowjack is super cheap in the Guild Stores from generous prior Events flooding the game with motif chapters, @Zulera301.

No player should have a problem obtaining it ... the vast majority of players will support the motif being converted to tickets.

It obviously isn't going to remain super cheap as the source of future motifs have just dried up to a trickle. And I guess I'm that teeny, tiny minority then.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It obviously isn't going to remain super cheap as the source of future motifs have just dried up to a trickle. And I guess I'm that teeny, tiny minority then.

I don't think to that extreme, @redgreensunset ... remember that motif pages will also randomly drop with plunder skulls.

And we all know plunder skulls can drop every 5 minutes if a player is keenly killing bosses while watching the clock.

EDIT: These will not drop from plunder skulls per the patch notes.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 3, 2020 7:27PM
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think to that extreme, @redgreensunset ... remember that motif pages will also randomly drop with plunder skulls.

And we all know plunder skulls can drop every 5 minutes if a player is keenly killing bosses while watching the clock.

That depends greatly on how you read those patch notes, because to me it sounds like they won't be dropping from plunder skulls anymore. But as per usual ZOS is a whole lot less than clear in their wording.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That depends greatly on how you read those patch notes, because to me it sounds like they won't be dropping from plunder skulls anymore. But as per usual ZOS is a whole lot less than clear in their wording.

Yeah, I see that too.

Regardless, as someone who already had the full motif the first year of the event, it's time to retire Hollowjack to tickets.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I see that too.

Regardless, as someone who already had the full motif the first year of the event, it's time to retire Hollowjack to tickets.

By that logic we should retire draugr and all the other old motifs that long term players also have because why keep them around when old players already have them. We can put them in the crown store instead.
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭

actually, the supply lately has been drying up. It's a lot more noticable this year for some reason, and I was able to offload dozens of them for more than 1-2k each.
    And while I know that's cheap for a motif, the fact that I was able to make that much off of an item that dropped like parade candy is telling, about its supply.

if it dries up and gets relegated to tickets, suddenly it's going to be expensive again.

also. given that ZOS seems much more intereted in amassing new players than keeping old players around (at least if the forums are to be believed, lol) suddenly all the influx of new players from Greymoor and other expansions, are going to be missing out. The fact that it's tied to an achievement ("An Unsparing Harvest") is why it's slightly more concerning than the usual "____ style master" achievements usually tied to motifs.

but that's just my 2¢
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I see that too.

By that logic we should retire draugr and all the other old motifs that long term players also have because why keep them around when old players already have them. We can put them in the crown store instead.

The vast majority of players don’t buy tickets with crowns, @redgreensunset ... unless you have in-game data from ZOS that says otherwise??

Most players accumulate tickets by doing the event activities.

Which they can then purchase Hollowjack pages with in-game (without using IRL money ... though they can get the full motif in the Crown Store if they wish).

Pages will still be available in guild stores too.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 3, 2020 9:13PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    But as per usual ZOS is a whole lot less than clear in their wording.

As I read this part of me is wondering if this is deliberate, so what when the stuff hits the fan, there is a default fallback position of "you didn't read it right".

Maybe deliberate is too strong, but I can't help but noticing an ongoing pattern of:

1-Lack of clarity
    2-Lack of any acceptance of responsibility for "misunderstandings"
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If stuff like this is being "retired" then any achievements connected to it need to be "retired" too, because it's unfair to have these achievements - especially ones with other achievements tied to it - if they're something you actually can't complete.

So the Hollowjack and Unsparing Harvest (and associated title and ability to buy a house) achievements will need to go. And also the Dremora motif achievement if they're retiring that also since they don't mention it either.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I see that too.

The vast majority of players don’t buy tickets with crowns, @redgreensunset ... unless you have in-game data from ZOS that says otherwise??

Which they can then purchase Hollowjack pages with in-game (without using IRL money ... though they can get the full motif in the Crown Store if they wish).

That assumes that there's nothing else they want during Witch's Festival.

Also pages will not keep on existing in guild stores. Finally there's an achievement connected to getting the full motif, which iirc ties into the overarching event achievement. At least that one needs to be retired and the other one modified if they're going to make it that much harder and costly to get the motif.
    Like you seem to be assuming that there'll be infinite supply of this one at guild stores forever when supply will dry up and then be completely gone after a while.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I see that too.

That assumes that there's nothing else they want during Witch's Festival.

Also pages will not keep on existing in guild stores. Finally there's an achievement connected to getting the full motif, which iirc ties into the overarching event achievement. At least that one needs to be retired and the other one modified if they're going to make it that much harder and costly to get the motif.
    Like you seem to be assuming that there'll be infinite supply of this one at guild stores forever when supply will dry up and then be completely gone after a while.

*** shrugs ***

Old items are "retired" in the game all the time:

- Such as the rotating stock of gold furnishing plans that Rolis Hlaalu (master writ vendor) has.

- Or, being able to create Glass motif pages with Glass Style motif fragments.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    False.
    - Such as the rotating stock of gold furnishing plans that Rolis Hlaalu (master writ vendor) has.
    No, they are just moved to his assistant's vendor inventory, for a lower price. None of them are unobtainable.
    - Or, being able to create Glass motif pages with Glass Style motif fragments.
    That is a terrible analogy, since the Glass motif was actually made easier. We went from a grindy system of fragments that make chapters (with the help of an expensive glue ingredient) to the full book for a modest sum of vouchers.

In both of these examples you gave, old items had become more accessible: lower prices for the furnishing plans, and an easier, more straightforward way to get the motif. Which is how things should be in a MMO: old stuff becomes more accessible, so new players have a means to "catch up" and the grind is saved for stuff on the bleeding edge.

Now, if they changed the Hollowjack motif to the full book being purchasable for a modest sum of tickets (5 tickets?), I think most people would be okay with that, since it's a reasonably accessible replacement option that's not unduly burdensome.

The replacement on the PTS is unduly burdensome.

And to say that the motifs are "on the guild traders" is mindbogglingly naive. Witness how much Dro-m'Athra motif pages have skyrocketed in price, from the early days when it was a guaranteed drop in coffers to now, when it's a rare drop in coffers. People used to list it for a pittance on traders or even destroying them, and now they cost more than most other motif chapters. Or look at what happened to "common" inexpensive items that people took for granted like hand sanitizers this year.

By this time next year, I expect Hollowjack chapters to be worth a fortune... if you can even find one for sale.
    Edited by code65536 on August 4, 2020 4:09AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [quote="Taleof2Cities;c-6898287"
    *** shrugs ***

- Or, being able to create Glass motif pages with Glass Style motif fragments.[/quote]

they don't ever retire motifs. The closest we've ever gotten to that level of "retirement" was the LTO crown-only ones. Glass did become "less available" when they moved it to Rolis Hlaalu, but unlike event tickets, Writ Vouchers can be obtained at any time and from numerous different sources. Event tickets have only one or two specific spots they're available, and only during a few weeks out of the year. It just sets a dangerous precedent.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS have backed themselves into a corner. They keep adding new drops to events so prior year players have something to collect. Which is good. But we have reached point where the loot tables are getting crowded and acquiring the 1 item you want out of the 1000 items in the loot table is frustrating. So ZOS want to retire some of the old items to tidy up the loot tables. But that takes something that was free and easy to get for old players and turns it into something expensive and difficult to collect for new players. Which is bad.

I think best way to retire old event items is not to put them into some RNG grab-bag where you spend tickets just to likely not even get what you want. That is going to make no one happy. Probably best way to retire old event items is to move them into base game content during events. So, make Hollowjack pages a drop from treasure chests in Glenumbra during event. Make Dremora pages a drop from psijic portals in Coldharbour during event. Something like that. The newer items will still require tickets and can be collected by all players, new and old alike. But if newer players want to collect retired items, there is still a place to do that, and you do not anger these new players by giving them an overwhelming and intimidating number of items to collect from Impresario.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »
    From the patch notes:
    Many of the rewards from previous years have been removed from Plunder Skulls to increase your chances of getting the newer stuff, but don't fear! The Impresario sells a grab bag for 2 Event Tickets each that contain one random component that you have yet to unlock for these bygone treasures. The item fragments included in this grab bag include:

Spectre Mask
    Hollowjack Motif
    Apple-Bobbing Cauldron
    Skeletal Marionette

@ZOS_GinaBruno is this going to be the only way to to obtain the Hollowjack Motif from here on out? because based on the wording, that would require at least 28 tickets (14 pages at 2 tickets each) to obtain every piece and thus the achievement, which seems... pretty steep.

(on the other hand, I do like the idea of retiring certain older items. Those companion style pages from the Anniversary Jubilees would be a fantastic candidate for this next April.)

Can someone on PTS check and see if the grab bag now contains the entire Gold Motif Book rather than just single pages? If so that would alleviate most of the problems associated with the prevalence of the motif.
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about retiring it from drops. I have plenty of hollowjack sitting in my bank, though, so after a year or so they're going to make alot of gold. Having said that, there are motifs always available in the game that are also making alot of gold. I sold minotaur chests very recently for 400k. Most people aren't interested in running that content anymore, so it's a good place to get dailies done and get some motifs to sell.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    renne wrote: »
    If stuff like this is being "retired" then any achievements connected to it need to be "retired" too, because it's unfair to have these achievements - especially ones with other achievements tied to it - if they're something you actually can't complete.

So the Hollowjack and Unsparing Harvest (and associated title and ability to buy a house) achievements will need to go. And also the Dremora motif achievement if they're retiring that also since they don't mention it either.

You will still be able to buy them with ticket
    Its not like they will dissapear, they just wont be as common
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hallowjack ended up so common you couldn't give them away even if you paid the recipients to take them
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭
    Here it what it says in the Patch Notes for PTS 6.1.3:

Spectre Mask
    Hollowjack Motif
    Apple-Bobbing Cauldron
    Skeletal Marionette

If I am reading this correctly, the key phrase is "yet to unlock" which suggests you are guaranteed a usable drop, even if it is not the particular one you want. It at least gives newer players a fighting chance to get these collectibles which for the rest of us are little more that inventory dust collectors.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »
    From the patch notes:

Spectre Mask
    Hollowjack Motif
    Apple-Bobbing Cauldron
    Skeletal Marionette

Can someone on PTS check and see if the grab bag now contains the entire Gold Motif Book rather than just single pages? If so that would alleviate most of the problems associated with the prevalence of the motif.

Witches Grab Bags are dropping single Hollow Jack Motif Pages ( but only on a character that does not have any of the motif learnt). Most of the Witches Grab Bags I have bough on PTS have turned out to be empty, I guess because I already have the item on my account. Spend two tickets for a bag, get absolutely nothing in return. I'm assuming this is a bug, and I hope they fix it before this goes live.

Dremora MOtif pages are still dropping from Dremora Plunder skulls.
    PC EU
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RaddlemanNumber7 thanks for checking. I’m sure that this will obviously be rectified when it goes live with guaranteed drops and selection of pages.

ZOS was right to change this as the drop table during the event was absolutely massive and the vast amount of the player population has all of the single-account use masks and motifs. I can guess that we will see a similar change with regards to New Life later this year with the prevalence of Skinchanger motif pages.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the grab bag idea. I just have to buy up all the cheap stuff before because that is really expensive relying on the grab bag.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @RaddlemanNumber7 thanks for checking. I’m sure that this will obviously be rectified when it goes live with guaranteed drops and selection of pages.

ZOS was right to change this as the drop table during the event was absolutely massive and the vast amount of the player population has all of the single-account use masks and motifs. I can guess that we will see a similar change with regards to New Life later this year with the prevalence of Skinchanger motif pages.

Add the runeboxes to that, as well. Since the pages can potentially be used on an alt, they're less annoying than getting yet another sword swallower runebox that I can't even give away. Plus, the pages stack and can be banked. Yes, runeboxes can be banked in a GB, but not all of us have a personal GB.

As for retiring these old items, I agree it's a good idea, but for a brand new player, it will still cost them a lot of tickets if they want to get all the masks, HJ pages, apple-bobbing fragments and marionette fragments. Way more than 14 items.

So, it means that they won't be able to get everything this year, but there's always next year. But, since they're a grab bag, a player can't even prioritize what they want to get, and if they only want HJ pages, they will potentially still spend more than 28 tickets, since they'll get other fragments and collectibles as well.

Lowering the cost to 1 ticket would seem more reasonable, given the RNG nature of these bags. I like that they are "smart" in that items you do have won't drop.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on August 4, 2020 8:49PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    ZOS have backed themselves into a corner. They keep adding new drops to events so prior year players have something to collect. Which is good. But we have reached point where the loot tables are getting crowded and acquiring the 1 item you want out of the 1000 items in the loot table is frustrating. So ZOS want to retire some of the old items to tidy up the loot tables. But that takes something that was free and easy to get for old players and turns it into something expensive and difficult to collect for new players. Which is bad.

Coming soon to a Crown Store near you: Hollowjack style master.... only 5,000 crowns.

Alternatively: With the new 2023 Crown Crate season, get a chance to receive the retired Hollowjack motif pages as drops! Or buy the entire book for only 400 Gems!

Backed themselves into a rather profitable corner, indeed!

Edited by Jaraal on August 9, 2020 4:48AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • distraughtklownz
    distraughtklownz
    Soul Shriven
    So, I haven't gone into the PTS yet, I'm actually downloading it now and reading stuff while it does. Has anyone actually tried this out yet?

I know I may be overly optimistic, but keeping inline with how they've handled similar items in the past (making things easier to get once they are old), wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that they are doing to this motif what they did with the glass style? Instead of making it available by pages, you can now obtain the whole book via event tickets?
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not move these items to the event merchant’s assistant? Ideally add an additional currency like item to buy them that drops during the event, similar to imperial city key fragments. Otherwise, they’re old enough that a gold price wouldn’t be unreasonable. The aspiring master crafters and achievement hunters need their motifs.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, I haven't gone into the PTS yet, I'm actually downloading it now and reading stuff while it does. Has anyone actually tried this out yet?

I know I may be overly optimistic, but keeping inline with how they've handled similar items in the past (making things easier to get once they are old), wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that they are doing to this motif what they did with the glass style? Instead of making it available by pages, you can now obtain the whole book via event tickets?
    Kolzki wrote: »
    Why not move these items to the event merchant’s assistant? Ideally add an additional currency like item to buy them that drops during the event, similar to imperial city key fragments. Otherwise, they’re old enough that a gold price wouldn’t be unreasonable. The aspiring master crafters and achievement hunters need their motifs.

Both these are far better solutions. I do understand that the loot table is bloating. I really do. But we can't just go leaving new players in the dark like this.

ZOS has already made the Soul Shriven skin available in the ticket vendor during the last Imperial City event. Honestly, I think that perhaps surely offering the whole book for sale for 10-12 tickets makes far more sense?

And, I suspect, far less prone to bugs.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No