The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Medusa Set Change

Skjaldbjorn
Skjaldbjorn
✭✭✭✭✭
Medusa:

This set's 2-4 piece bonuses are now Spell Critical, rather than Health, Magicka, and Spell Damage.
This set now has an additional 5 piece bonus of 900 Spell Critical.

giphy.gif

This is essentially Mother's Sorrow, but worse. Less crit, less magicka. It's Diet Sad. This change effectively makes zero sense.
  • Skelfish
    Skelfish
    ✭✭✭
    It's still keeping the minor force buff from live. It would be an interesting alternative if this set weren't heavy and therefore has to be weapons/jewelry.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People asked for a magicka tzogvin. We get... something close that doesn't carry over onto back bar.
  • Deloth_Vyrr
    Deloth_Vyrr
    ✭✭✭
    Its actually an interesting set now. If you replace front bar MS (run it on Jewels/Weapon) with this, you get:

3399 Spell Crit (vs 3590 on MS)
    Loss of 1096 Max Mag
    Gain Minor Force - So you don't need to run Trap/Channeled Accel - freeing up some space in your bar/rotation

Cant say if the net is better or worse, my guess is a little bit worse at the benefit of less micromanaging of rotation due to the free Minor Force - but will need to spend some time on PTS with it to be sure
    Edited by Deloth_Vyrr on July 17, 2020 8:37PM
    <Twin-Moons Covenant> PC NA
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Voice of Reason
    Shadow Breaker
    Flawless Conqueror
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% uptime on minor force shouldn't be overlooked. You can run this on jewels + 2 heavy for that. Or you can run with jewels and weapon. Either way, you free up the slot on your bar from trap or channeled accel, both of which have some heavy drawbacks compared to just plain having minor force up for doing nothing. The cost is a small amount of crit lost compared to arguably the BIS armor set currently.

Not sure how this is viewed as a bad thing.
    Edited by redspecter23 on July 17, 2020 8:38PM
  • Deloth_Vyrr
    Deloth_Vyrr
    ✭✭✭
    100% uptime on minor force shouldn't be overlooked. You can run this on jewels + 2 heavy for that. Or you can run with jewels and weapon. Either way, you free up the slot on your bar from trap or channeled accel, both of which have some heavy drawbacks compared to just plain having minor force up for doing nothing. The cost is a small amount of crit lost compared to arguably the BIS armor set currently.

Not sure how this is viewed as a bad thing.

I just wish it wasn't heavy. Needing to use weapon means you do lose a bit of uptime on backbar (even if backbar is kept to a minimum)
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Voice of Reason
    Shadow Breaker
    Flawless Conqueror
  • Wolf81
    Wolf81
    ✭✭✭
    And Mother's Sorrow acutally gets a "tiny" boost: Increase the Spell Critical this set grants to 1937, up from 1924.

Now i'm trying to figure out which set to replace my necropotence with on my petsorc that can still be paired with MG...I don't have PFG just yet since I returned.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is odd that they decided to make the magicka tzogvin a heavy set. But as for the set itself, having triple crit bonuses makes this very good. Not having to use trap is a boost.
  • Deloth_Vyrr
    Deloth_Vyrr
    ✭✭✭
    So after spending the past 30 or so mins running parses on PTS with PFG+Medusa, I beat my old personal best PFG+MS parse by about 1k DPS. I love this set, not needing to run trap or accel is such a QOL improvement too.

(I've been parsing between 82-83k on PTS over the past couple days using PFG+MS, breaking 84k fairly consistently using Medusa in place of MS)
    Edited by Deloth_Vyrr on July 17, 2020 10:23PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Voice of Reason
    Shadow Breaker
    Flawless Conqueror
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medusa:

This set's 2-4 piece bonuses are now Spell Critical, rather than Health, Magicka, and Spell Damage.

giphy.gif

This is essentially Mother's Sorrow, but worse. Less crit, less magicka. It's Diet Sad. This change effectively makes zero sense.

..its stronger than mothers sorrow. less crit but the permanent minor force means you dont need to cast trap which does little damage, or channeled accel, which does no damage. its another button press for your spammable or a dot

the only downside is its still heavy armor. it wouldnt be an issue if theyd just add staves to its loot pool, but it is most effective as a double bar set, which is usually best ran in 5 body pieces.

dunno why they buffed the set to a very solid magdps set but kept it in heavy armor
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apox wrote: »
    Medusa:

giphy.gif

..its stronger than mothers sorrow. less crit but the permanent minor force means you dont need to cast trap which does little damage, or channeled accel, which does no damage. its another button press for your spammable or a dot

the only downside is its still heavy armor. it wouldnt be an issue if theyd just add staves to its loot pool, but it is most effective as a double bar set, which is usually best ran in 5 body pieces.

dunno why they buffed the set to a very solid magdps set but kept it in heavy armor

Yeah it's arx corinum right? Song of Lamia is the light set? Could just swap those 2 around imo.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medusa:

giphy.gif

Yeah it's arx corinum right? Song of Lamia is the light set? Could just swap those 2 around imo.

would anyone even notice or care if arx corinium just dropped 2 light sets? medusa didnt get used because it was useless bonuses on the wrong armor weight. they changed the bonuses to be desirable to magdps but it still drops in heavy and doesnt have staff, so its going t be another elf bane magdk situation where youre stuck using 2 heavy pieces missing out on your 5/1/1 undaunted

lamias song has okay 2/3/4 set bonuses but its 5 set is very niche so unfortunately not many people even want to use that set
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medusa:

giphy.gif

Yeah I initially read it as the 5-piece crit was replacing the Minor Force, not being added in addition.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are Medusa Staves on the live for sure, just looted a lightning staff of the medusa.
    Edited by Sordidfairytale on July 18, 2020 12:50AM
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watch the asian god video on this.

Although they should have made a mag tzogwin. But this set is good, i personally think i will front bar it if i get it, the choice is either sorrow or this anyway, which are both awful front bar sets, and if i want to body this i can't use 5 1 1
    Edited by JinMori on July 18, 2020 12:29AM
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    This looks like a great idea. Note you only loose ~200 crit, ~1100 + 2% of max mag but factor that this will give some builds the ability to slot Inner Light...which is say 7% of 35k = 2,450 AND extra GCDs for more spamable casts.

Siroria, Master Architect, NMA, SS, BSW are front bar sets. FG is better on both bars but it's getting bumped down a bit while Siroria is becoming more useful in more content. So, a 2 bar set is fine.
    Edited by thadjarvis on July 18, 2020 12:51AM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »

Although they should have made a mag tzogwin. But this set is good, i personally think i will front bar it if i get it, the choice is either sorrow or this anyway, which are both awful front bar sets, and if i want to body this i can't use 5 1 1

Yeah I really like the design. Balanced well with Sorrow, about 3% DPS loss but that can be made up if you put the free bar slot to good use. Sustain is a little harder with Medusa, since barbed every 18s saves some Magicka. Personally I’m glad it’s not exactly Mag Tzogvin’s. Carrying over to the off-bar for 5s would have been nice, but the triple Spell Crit is an improvement over a line of Spell Pen.
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is essentially Mother's Sorrow, but worse.
    Shhh. Don't you remember what happened with Iceheart when it was mentioned while testing Ciannait?
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »

Yeah I really like the design. Balanced well with Sorrow, about 3% DPS loss but that can be made up if you put the free bar slot to good use. Sustain is a little harder with Medusa, since barbed every 18s saves some Magicka. Personally I’m glad it’s not exactly Mag Tzogvin’s. Carrying over to the off-bar for 5s would have been nice, but the triple Spell Crit is an improvement over a line of Spell Pen.

This would then be great to use. Not a fan of channeled acceleration or barbed trap. Would rather another skill slot.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Classes that can best make use of the slot should find a dps increase I think. Elf Bane DKs, Magdens, Magcros come to mind.
  • martijnlv40
    martijnlv40
    ✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »
    Classes that can best make use of the slot should find a dps increase I think. Elf Bane DKs, Magdens, Magcros come to mind.

Petsorcs!
  • kalunte
    kalunte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this set needs to be turned into Light armor, even if it might outshine all others pve magdd sets (but trial ones) within a second.

i dont get the point of having it heavy but preventing ppl to use it with 100% uptime and vMA staff (which is a must have for all mags).
  • kalunte
    kalunte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or ppl could go 2heavy/5 light and lose regen 2% mag for the medium armor loss (undaunted passive) but well, it just doesnt fit to heavy armor.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Outside the PVE context. MS offers some set pairing potential in the PVP realm.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

Petsorcs!

Elf bane is dead and Medusa is unsustainable unless you're a Breton.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not worth it imo, way too many negatives.

It's a heavy armor body set, it would have to have "Elf Bane on magDK" level of impact to your dps to really consider it. Instead it's a worse dps set than MS and Siroria. And sustain will be tight next patch with B4B getting rekt, so it's not like freeing you from having to cast Trap is a really good thing or anything. Your magicka sustain will suffer even more for it.

It's a poor man's Tzogvin: Less crit, wrong armor type, can't be front-barred. Avoid.
    EU | PC | AD
  • JoSePHRiNG
    JoSePHRiNG
    ✭✭✭
    Combine it with Mother's Sorrow you get %100 critical chance, no joke.
    I tested it on PTS, on sorcerer because critical surge %100 uptime + heal could also crit.
    Sorcerer is necessary for %100 due to minor prophecy buff.
    Jorvuld's Guidance and SPC all the way down.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JoSePHRiNG wrote: »
    Combine it with Mother's Sorrow you get %100 critical chance, no joke.
    I tested it on PTS, on sorcerer because critical surge %100 uptime + heal could also crit.
    Sorcerer is necessary for %100 due to minor prophecy buff.

True, it is possible to hit 100% crit with these 2 sets, the Precise trait, Thief stone, and a monster set with 1 crit bonus. However once your crit is that high you’d be better off using Shadow than Thief, and your Spell Danage will be low with those sets, so it’s more of a novelty than an effective build.
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of Treasure Hunter. I think that's the crit set for light armor.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If sustain was in a better place for Magicka this would be great. As it stands a large number of people (incoming nerf aside) are using FGD for sustain, and typically want that on both bars for the cost reduction. That leaves this set either as front bar only which will dilute the value or 5pc full time, impacting either FGD or monster. As per the comments above, I'm not sure how many Mag setups currently have the spare resources for an extra magicka cast each second anyway to get value from it.
  • Wolf81
    Wolf81
    ✭✭✭
    Altyrann wrote: »
    If sustain was in a better place for Magicka this would be great. As it stands a large number of people (incoming nerf aside) are using FGD for sustain, and typically want that on both bars for the cost reduction. That leaves this set either as front bar only which will dilute the value or 5pc full time, impacting either FGD or monster. As per the comments above, I'm not sure how many Mag setups currently have the spare resources for an extra magicka cast each second anyway to get value from it.

Basically this "sustain" is the Zos intentional clutch on certain dps marks/builds I'm sure of it. Sometimes I wonder if the community should lower their threshold expectations but at the same time player love to strive for higher and higher nothing wrong with that.