The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Returning magplar

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's funny how attached people are to the meta in this game. Magplar is possibly in it's strongest state since launch and no one can see it. I'm doing constant 1v10s in no CP. I feel invincible and haven't died to a 1v1 in months.
    What I'm mainly referring to when I say it's funny... Is when people come to me asking for advice after getting laid out. Once I tell them, they laugh at me, call me a noob, and in the same breath say magplar sucks right now. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

No one can so it because you're describing a phantom.

Best it's ever been? Lol; two patches ago saw 4 nerfs and no buffs so your statement is objectively false.

It's not that we are attached to a meta. It's that Templars are no longer the class we feel in love with years ago and now have just dumb mechanics like needed 4 consecutive hits for a burning light proc or not being able to use breath of life to heal an "ally".

Can i go on no CP and pounce less experienced players using proc sets (as oppsed to actaully being a templar)? Yeah, but that's because I've played since launch, not due to being a Templar. And I can do that more efficiently as a Warden so what's the point?
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's funny how attached people are to the meta in this game. Magplar is possibly in it's strongest state since launch and no one can see it. I'm doing constant 1v10s in no CP. I feel invincible and haven't died to a 1v1 in months.
    What I'm mainly referring to when I say it's funny... Is when people come to me asking for advice after getting laid out. Once I tell them, they laugh at me, call me a noob, and in the same breath say magplar sucks right now. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

No one can so it because you're describing a phantom.

Best it's ever been? Lol; two patches ago saw 4 nerfs and no buffs so your statement is objectively false.

It's not that we are attached to a meta. It's that Templars are no longer the class we feel in love with years ago and now have just dumb mechanics like needed 4 consecutive hits for a burning light proc or not being able to use breath of life to heal an "ally".

Can i go on no CP and pounce less experienced players using proc sets (as oppsed to actaully being a templar)? Yeah, but that's because I've played since launch, not due to being a Templar. And I can do that more efficiently as a Warden so what's the point?

People seem to miss the point that anything you do on a Magplar, can be done much better with less effort on nearly any other class.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Dirt_Rooster
    Dirt_Rooster
    ✭✭✭
    Saying magplar is in a worse place now due to nerfs is irrelevant. Magplar wasn't the only thing that was changed, the whole meta shifts every patch. Whether you want to change your build and playstyle to counter the vast majority of players instead of simply comparing old magplar to new is up to you. Nerfs or not, magplar is in a better place now due to how other players have changed.

https://imgur.com/a/DGVvdPl
    Edited by Dirt_Rooster on November 26, 2020 3:48AM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saying magplar is in a worse place now due to nerfs is irrelevant. Magplar wasn't the only thing that was changed, the whole meta shifts every patch. Whether you want to change your build and playstyle to counter the vast majority of players instead of simply comparing old magplar to new is up to you. Nerfs or not, magplar is in a better place now due to how other players have changed.

Even though I am thoroughly impressed with your image it still is Anecdotal evidence. Context really matters and a single snapshot (while impressive) lacks a tremendous amount of important information required to make an irrefutable claim.
    Edited by Drdeath20 on November 26, 2020 1:14PM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any class can post pictures like that playing against donuts in BG's - Not impressed
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Using low mmr BG's against PvE geared players....that's a wierd way to claim something is performing well ngl
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

https://imgur.com/3aIV6bu
    https://imgur.com/H6IcLHP

Like I said, any class can do that.
    Edited by BNOC on November 26, 2020 10:41AM

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Dorkener
    Dorkener
    ✭✭✭
    What are those screenshots supposed to prove exactly? There are individuals on the opposing teams that have managed to die 17 (SEVENTEEN) times in under 10 minutes.... I wouldn't think that's even possible :|

edit: on topic - Vate + BRP destro + proccset (choose your flavor of extra cheese) of choice works well on any mag class, esp ones dealing most of their damage in melee-ish range.
    Edited by Dorkener on November 26, 2020 10:57AM
  • Wolfenzero
    Vateshran Lighting Staff - Sharpened
    Black Rose Prison Fire Staff - Charged
    Zaan
    A defensive set to survive (Pariah works decently)
    Malacath
    Then everybody uses Trainee, I prefer x2 Potentates (since, with heal, kiting, los-ing the fight tends to drag and the more it drags the more you can feel that 3%)
    Get the suistain you need from either food or jewels

Survive with Honor plus Ritual (Extended, given the meta), meanwhile, set up Purifying, Ignite, Zaan and the Staff proc, then, try to time burst with Sweeps and Radiant.

Also, do yourself a favour and slot Race Against Time, that skill is a must-have, else, you're gonna root in place, litterally.

Gameplay of a not full build (it misses lots of stuff, was around top 20 ranks, so no bad builds opponents at least):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH90XpnpXgs&ab_channel=WolfenZero
    Edited by Wolfenzero on November 26, 2020 11:44AM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Anyone with a spec of pvp experience can dominate in low mmr bgs.

If your idea of magplars being strong comes from beating new/inexperienced/pve players, then you need a reality check my friend.

On top of that procsets can carry literally any class offensively.

Difference is, you can slap those sets on a warden, go 64 points into hp, and do incredibly well even aganist good players.

The arguments as to why templars arent that geat right nrow have been laid out over and over again, if you cant see the reality of it all, im sure no one is going to convince you otherwise.

One of the issues with balancing this game is the insane skill gap that exists between low and high end players.

I can take my stamplar and fight low skilled or bad players, and delete them with a couple of sets of jabs with random gear on, that does not make the class objectively strong.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dorkener wrote: »
    What are those screenshots supposed to prove exactly? There are individuals on the opposing teams that have managed to die 17 (SEVENTEEN) times in under 10 minutes.... I wouldn't think that's even possible :|

edit: on topic - Vate + BRP destro + proccset (choose your flavor of extra cheese) of choice works well on any mag class, esp ones dealing most of their damage in melee-ish range.

I believe you're talking about my pictures and have misunderstood - I was replying to a picture of a Templar going 53-0 being used to back up a myth that Templar is some god tier class.

Mine show a DK and a Sorc doing the same thing (just better).

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a815_CxwiiI&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=esoisekai

I'm also a returning magplar, and despite some frustrations at the start, I'm enjoying pvping on magplar.

Absolutely Magplars need something from ZOS in terms of their kit. Others have said it best, whatever you can do on a magplar, you can do better on a different class (except for giving out the best cleanse synergy in the game).

But having said that, I'm a magplar at heart. And you can def be effective in PvP without proc sets.

Build's in video description.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opinions welcome, magplar in light armour sets with a defensive set or heavy armour sets using malacath
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, but have you actually killed anybody? ; )
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

:lol: at the 70 - 0 - 2.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:lol: at the 70 - 0 - 2.

Matchmaking for ya

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord Storm Knight/Overwhelming Surge/ Vat Ice staff/ domi/ pale order. 5/2 heavy light... cp or no cp PuGZapper
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Hakkanistorm
    Hakkanistorm
    ✭✭✭

Why post such images? I can repeat the same thing at 5 am, but at 7 pm playing against serious players I am not even close to doing it.

magTemplar and stamdk are the weakest class of the last year.
    Stamtemplar has just a very bad design and does not use anything other than jab, but it can be played, of course if you compare stam/mag warden and stam/mag plar this is heaven and earth in which the bottom was broken
    Edited by Hakkanistorm on December 5, 2020 2:22AM
  • ivramirez
    ivramirez
    ✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Any help on gear sets, vamp or no vamp, can the new orange items be bought? Thanks

proc set, it doesn't matter what what you are, stam, mag, health it is irrelevant. just get a proc set magicka or stamina which ever you like and throw skill.
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    I love malacath even in light but I'm built for it.

I tried out a 1.8 critdamage modifier build vs my friends 3400 critresistance dk with over 30k resistances and my jabs crit him for 1170 crit while in malacath each sweep channel hit him for 1135, 100 percent of the time.

You need at least over 40 percent critchance and over a 1.9 critdamage modifier to be on par with a malacath build if opponent got a 3500ish critresistance.
    This is fairly easy to get as a templar.

Factor in procsets and malacath is op even in cp.

Interesssssting....very interessssssting!!! 🤤

May I ask what gear mix you are using?

Malubeth/Grothdarr/Engine guardian
    Frontbar:
    5pc overwhelming with charged lightningstaff and disease enchant. (With charged trait u will have perma minor defile and vulnerability on target cause of disease enchant and overwhelming proc).
    4 pc warlock
    Malacath ring
    Full spelldamage glyphs and apprentice mundus.

Backbar
    4 pc Overhelming
    5 pc Warlock (Best sustain set in the game after buff)

What skills are u using to proc enchant? Just heavy? I’m doing something similar but with a vateshran lightning
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »

I tried out a 1.8 critdamage modifier build vs my friends 3400 critresistance dk with over 30k resistances and my jabs crit him for 1170 crit while in malacath each sweep channel hit him for 1135, 100 percent of the time.

You need at least over 40 percent critchance and over a 1.9 critdamage modifier to be on par with a malacath build if opponent got a 3500ish critresistance.

Frontbar:
    5pc overwhelming with charged lightningstaff and disease enchant. (With charged trait u will have perma minor defile and vulnerability on target cause of disease enchant and overwhelming proc).
    4 pc warlock
    Malacath ring

Backbar
    4 pc Overhelming

What skills are u using to proc enchant? Just heavy? I’m doing something similar but with a vateshran lightning

Simple light attack procs the relevant enchant.
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »

Frontbar:
    4 pc warlock
    Malacath ring

Backbar
    4 pc Overhelming

I don't play this setup anymore since it's very outdated.

Atm I'm in Warmaiden/Eternal Vigor/Malacath front bar and Vateshraan frost back bar. 5/2 Heavy/Light.
    I switched to Nord as well.
    Edited by Ariades_swe on December 12, 2020 7:14PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way I have found magplar to be somewhat playable this patch is by completely changing my playstyle with it..gone is the sword and board block casting honour the dead and in is a much more mobile resto wielding plar..
    No more do I get stuck on the back bar struggling to get on the offensive and instead can apply more pressure myself.
    Imo the block playstyle is old hat this patch, the dots and procs will eat through your stam each time you try to block them. I've found playing resto with rapid regeneration and life giver for the back bar ult alongside 3- 4 well fitted and 20% dodge roll reduction in cp, with race against time allows for a much more versatile and mobile magplar experience which is better than I've played before. I've changed to argonian and use engine guardian and lich or the sustain and use stuns and malacth for the damage playing in heavy.
    One of the best plar builds I've put together in long time.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way I have found magplar to be somewhat playable this patch is by completely changing my playstyle with it..gone is the sword and board block casting honour the dead and in is a much more mobile resto wielding plar..
    No more do I get stuck on the back bar struggling to get on the offensive and instead can apply more pressure myself.
    Imo the block playstyle is old hat this patch, the dots and procs will eat through your stam each time you try to block them. I've found playing resto with rapid regeneration and life giver for the back bar ult alongside 3- 4 well fitted and 20% dodge roll reduction in cp, with race against time allows for a much more versatile and mobile magplar experience which is better than I've played before. I've changed to argonian and use engine guardian and lich or the sustain and use stuns and malacth for the damage playing in heavy.

And what templar unique skills do you use? For fun lets debate that the same build is better with other classes. Rationalize why it isnt.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »

And what templar unique skills do you use? For fun lets debate that the same build is better with other classes. Rationalize why it isnt.

Front bar
    Jabs, Degen, power of the light, toppling, Radiant destruction, crescent sweep

Back bar
    Rune, ritual, rapid regeneration, race against time, honour the dead, life giver.

Might well be better on other classes, however magplar is and will remain my main so got try make it work to some degree.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Front bar

Back bar
    Rune, ritual, rapid regeneration, race against time, honour the dead, life giver.

Might well be better on other classes, however magplar is and will remain my main so got try make it work to some degree.

No need to delve in too much bcz thats alot of templar stuff. So that kinda answers that.

Just wondering do you use sweeps or jabs? Not trying to nitpick bcz you also listed power of the light too instead of purifying light. Not sure if your using a hybrid or just a different build. If its just a typo im not trying to nitpick but i am genuinely interested ATM
    Edited by Drdeath20 on December 12, 2020 10:21PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Front bar

Back bar

No need to delve in too much bcz thats alot of templar stuff. So that kinda answers that.

Just wondering do you use sweeps or jabs? Not trying to nitpick bcz you also listed power of the light too instead of purifying light. Not sure if your using a hybrid or just a different build. If its just a typo im not trying to nitpick but i am genuinely interested ATM

Yea my bad just typos amd lazy typing, I'm using sweeps and purifying light, it's not great dmg and only really there for the ult gain and spell power increase.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Imo the block playstyle has been old news for a looooong time, if you play Templar aggressively, you'll have a better time with everything (sustain, resource management etc;) as you'll be forcing that backbar block playstyle on other people.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Imo the block playstyle has been old news for a looooong time, if you play Templar aggressively, you'll have a better time with everything (sustain, resource management etc;) as you'll be forcing that backbar block playstyle on other people.

Well, until you get 2 ppl with full procsets proccc you down to 50% hp before you can finish a single jabs channel.
    IMHO either you want big speed or mist form.
    Rapid regen really can't keep up with damage from more than 1 average player.

The current magplar meta seems to evolve around stalling for vamp ult, and then going on the offensive.

I saw a lot of ppl saying they play light armor, I dunno how they don't get 1 shot by any random Stam proc user, since they'll have like 15k phys resist, especially with a resto staff.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea light armour is just waiting for someone to catch you off guard and its good night. To play resto have to use heavy and well fitted as dodge roll healing is more beneficial than block casting