The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Dear housing community how do you feel about Nord boat furnishing requiring vet trial achieve ?

• thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking News: Stuff is locked behind stuff!
    Full story at 11.

Seriously, just consider the ship to be some kind of trophy, just like the vSS HM shrines, which are housing items as well. It's not the first time that beating a trial unlocks a reward from the achievement merchant and it won't be the last time.
    If they decided to lock the ship behind an achievement saying "slay 1000 trolls", peopel would complain about mindless grind. vKA is not that hard. I know, some of you folks just don't want to do it or can't do it for some reason or the other, but that's how it is in life and in ESO.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But is the boat character bound? Can it be sold?

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eifleber wrote: »
    But is the boat character bound? Can it be sold?

I believe all achievement furnishings are bound.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They seem to want boats to be a very special reward for hard activitities in the game.

I really would love the fishing boat, but I really can not get me to catch around 10.000 fish for the achievment. It's not like fishing is a 'fun' thing to do.

So second boat that is attainable is locked behind a vet trial. I've done trials but never a vet one. Maybe one day eh.

I've learned to live without boats, and you know what, it seems I can do just that :smile:
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoragaal wrote: »
    If there were more ships available, this wouldn't be an issue.

I don't have the slightest problem with ZOS putting furnishings as rewards for different content like PVE group content or PVP. I think ZOS views housing as integrally connected with the rest of the game, not something where you can say "I just do housing" and also expect to get every furnishing. As with other rewards in game, if you don't do all the content, you'll miss out on the rewards.

But where its a problem is that ZOS only produces a limited amount of items the housing community wants. There's only 2 ships, and one is for a vet trial achievement. Create more ships and make them available from a variety of in game content, and suddenly it's less of a problem.

I don't know. I'm not sure I agree.
    Having completed the trial and getting the boat is a form of an achievement. Being able to show off the efforts with, in this case, a boat ensures some exclusivity.
    Having more boats would make it less exclusive and therefor also less appealing of an achievement.
    Titles/Different colors/Motifs/Skins/Mounts - they've all greatly lossed in sentimental value because there's an abundance of them with no major destinction between them, with only a few rare exceptions.

There's a number of thrones available for housing, but people don't complain that it devalues their throne for getting the Emperor achievement.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know for a fact that I will never see that boat, no matter how much I want it. I don't do vet trials, I've never even cleared a vet trial. :(
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking: what if good gear was locked behind rather difficult housing achievements. Imagine the rage on the forums. But the other way around is normal?

It would at least be fair to put special housing items behind housing achievements, don't you think?
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have the slightest problem with ZOS putting furnishings as rewards for different content like PVE group content or PVP. I think ZOS views housing as integrally connected with the rest of the game, not something where you can say "I just do housing" and also expect to get every furnishing. As with other rewards in game, if you don't do all the content, you'll miss out on the rewards.

But where its a problem is that ZOS only produces a limited amount of items the housing community wants. There's only 2 ships, and one is for a vet trial achievement. Create more ships and make them available from a variety of in game content, and suddenly it's less of a problem.

Having completed the trial and getting the boat is a form of an achievement. Being able to show off the efforts with, in this case, a boat ensures some exclusivity.
    Having more boats would make it less exclusive and therefor also less appealing of an achievement.
    Titles/Different colors/Motifs/Skins/Mounts - they've all greatly lossed in sentimental value because there's an abundance of them with no major destinction between them, with only a few rare exceptions.

Locking all thematic furnishings behind non-housing content is the same as locking all sets of a single role behind non-combat content. Imagine having all tank sets locked behind fishing and housing. So you can be a healer or a dd, because you have sets from the same content you are doing, but tank sets are a reward for fishermen (and fisherwomen). Master Anglers then will feel special in their exclusive tank gear.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least it's easier to get than that elder scroll furnishing. :(
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a number of thrones available for housing, but people don't complain that it devalues their throne for getting the Emperor achievement.

And why do you think that is?
    Because I know that a lot of people just don't care about titles/motifs/colors/mounts/skins etc anymore because there is a complete abundance of it already. I know most people that I used to play with don't play anymore, and this issue was one of the reasons they didn't care about it anymore (no carrot on the stick). And before you ask, no I don't have any specific numbers for it. It's been discussed several times in all sorts of games for decades already.
    These things used to make people stand out from the crowd. It made people feel unique. People could show off their accomplishments with them. Even the alliance pvp rank doesn't really matter anymore.

Maybe it's because there's no objective goal, not the same competitive aspect, to housing that's motivating people. PvE and PvP on the other hand can be very competative and people like to show off their accomplishments and wear it like a badge of honor. I don't know, what do you think is the reason for this difference?
    Edited by Thoragaal on June 5, 2020 7:34PM
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'll ever get it and it's hard to obtain but it does seem fitting that a nord item would be gained through heavy combat.
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly bizarre. Outside of maybe placing it in a Guild Hall, I can't see much overlap in the Housing and Veteran PVE communities. It was the same with the two statues you get from beating the two lesser bosses on Veteran HM in Sunspire.

I can't imagine the majority of Veteran PVE players are interested in Furnishings. A lot of them don't even care for stuff like Mementos or Non-Combat Pets.
  • Adaarye
    Adaarye
    ✭✭✭
    I think ESO is missing an opportunity here.

ESO is a company and their end game is to make money so placing the boat in the crown store as well as making it a reward would be the smart thing to do.

Forcing players to do things that are not comfortable for them may cause resentment.

The "win win" would be .. put it in the crown store. The cost hurdle may be a lot more comfortable for many rather than a non existent alternative than many currently have. :)
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aelorin wrote: »
    I was just thinking: what if good gear was locked behind rather difficult housing achievements.

What sort of housing achievements are you talking about? I don't think they've figured out how to properly do "difficult housing achievements" -- and therefore they haven't tried locking anything behind them.
    Housing is tricky to make "difficult" beyond lousy drop rates on plans and stupid materials requirements. Neither are necessarily appropriate to lock a reward behind though.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on June 6, 2020 11:14PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because I know that a lot of people just don't care about titles/motifs/colors/mounts/skins etc anymore because there is a complete abundance of it already. I know most people that I used to play with don't play anymore, and this issue was one of the reasons they didn't care about it anymore (no carrot on the stick). And before you ask, no I don't have any specific numbers for it. It's been discussed several times in all sorts of games for decades already.
    These things used to make people stand out from the crowd. It made people feel unique. People could show off their accomplishments with them. Even the alliance pvp rank doesn't really matter anymore.

Maybe it's because there's no objective goal, not the same competitive aspect, to housing that's motivating people. PvE and PvP on the other hand can be very competative and people like to show off their accomplishments and wear it like a badge of honor. I don't know, what do you think is the reason for this difference?

In the case of housing and thrones, I think its because people and especially housing enthusiasts, can tell the difference between the Emperor throne and every other throne.

I'm likewise confident that adding more ships of different racial styles won't diminish the cachet of having the Vet Trial ship.

But then, I'm sitting there looking at my Master Angler ship, just happy there's another option for folks who don't want to battle rare fish RNG for hours like I did.
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In the case of housing and thrones, I think its because people and especially housing enthusiasts, can tell the difference between the Emperor throne and every other throne.

I'm likewise confident that adding more ships of different racial styles won't diminish the cachet of having the Vet Trial ship.

But then, I'm sitting there looking at my Master Angler ship, just happy there's another option for folks who don't want to battle rare fish RNG for hours like I did.

I would agree that housing enthusiasts probably can tell the difference. Doesn't that simultanously mean that in order for something like a boat to feel exclusive to pvp/pve'ers it's not enough to just have a tiny change in details on other ships?

What I mean is that it might not seem like it would "diminish the cachet" to you. But it surely does to the other group of people (me included), since they can't tell the difference between them like the housing enthusiasts can.

I like my master angler boat. But I have no idea where I left it :joy:
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Having completed the trial and getting the boat is a form of an achievement. Being able to show off the efforts with, in this case, a boat ensuresrun. exclusivity.

I would agree that housing enthusiasts probably can tell the difference. Doesn't that simultanously mean that in order for something like a boat to feel exclusive to pvp/pve'ers it's not enough to just have a tiny change in details on other ships?

What I mean is that it might not seem like it would "diminish the cachet" to you. But it surely does to the other group of people (me included), since they can't tell the difference between them like the housing enthusiasts can.

I mean, if its another longboat that's practically identical to the trial achievement one, then yeah, that's a problem. ZOS does have a habit of that, and I find it annoying.

But how about a Dunmer style boat? Or a small version of some of those gorgeous Redguard ships in Hew's Bane? There's lots of boat designs we already have in ESO that look very distinct.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you seen the two dragon statues that require vet HM for the first two bosses in Sunspire?

vKA isnt that bad a trial, easier than vetSS. Many groups were clearing it the first day of the patch.
    Im no where near a great player and I did it with my trial group on the second day of the patch
    Edited by Katahdin on June 7, 2020 5:05AM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Having completed the trial and getting the boat is a form of an achievement. Being able to show off the efforts with, in this case, a boat ensuresrun. exclusivity.

I mean, if its another longboat that's practically identical to the trial achievement one, then yeah, that's a problem. ZOS does have a habit of that, and I find it annoying.

But how about a Dunmer style boat? Or a small version of some of those gorgeous Redguard ships in Hew's Bane? There's lots of boat designs we already have in ESO that look very distinct.

Only if there's like one more extra boat. I'd hate to see another 100 different types of boats (like with colours/motifs etc) since it would ruin the exclusivity :smile:
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Only if there's like one more extra boat. I'd hate to see another 100 different types of boats (like with colours/motifs etc) since it would ruin the exclusivity :smile:
    I don't really see how 'exclusivity' can be an argument when it comes to furniture. How on earth would you know which furniture other people have in their private homes; and how would that even affect you and your private house? There is no reason to not make furniture widely available.

Take the Undaunted busts/trophies for instance. Many homes (mostly the homes of PvE players rather than people who are more interested in thematically decorating several houses) have a room/rooms crammed full of Undaunted trophies. Those trophies are incredibly common, tons of people have them, since dungeons are far easier and more commonly run than trials (pledges, etc), and it still doesn't take away from people enjoying those trophies.

So if the non-exclusive nature of those furniture don't ruin it for people, neither should making the boats less exclusive ruin that. Other people's private houses have no effect on you whatsoever.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone forget they offered two other boats for sale on murkmire launch right? Fishing and vka are not the only boats in game and im sure more will be added to crown store

This nord boat comes from vka is all.

Murkmire boat
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/murkmire-felucca-canopied/
    Edited by yodased on June 7, 2020 1:22PM
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah that's unmatched. Furnishing freaks don't do vet and vet trial nerds don't do housing.

Sorry, but I am a great believer in having to do all the content if you want all the rewards. A lot of those rewards I do not have. Gives me motivation to not give up though.

I do enjoy housing. A lot.

I also love everything else in this game. PvP. PvE. Questing. Crafting. All of it.

I mean if you want a military house, you point blank have to do PvP, and there's basically no carrying, either, unless you count zerg.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »

I don't really see how 'exclusivity' can be an argument when it comes to furniture. How on earth would you know which furniture other people have in their private homes; and how would that even affect you and your private house? There is no reason to not make furniture widely available.

Take the Undaunted busts/trophies for instance. Many homes (mostly the homes of PvE players rather than people who are more interested in thematically decorating several houses) have a room/rooms crammed full of Undaunted trophies. Those trophies are incredibly common, tons of people have them, since dungeons are far easier and more commonly run than trials (pledges, etc), and it still doesn't take away from people enjoying those trophies.

So if the non-exclusive nature of those furniture don't ruin it for people, neither should making the boats less exclusive ruin that. Other people's private houses have no effect on you whatsoever.

The same argument can be said about literally anything, it doesn't have to be furniture and private homes. You could say the same thing about motifs and what other people aren't wearing at the moment. Or titles and what they're not currently using. Or in real life when wearing specific type of clothes, you don't know what others have at home in their closets. Or when people are buying the latest gadget, even if they know it'll be cheaper in a month they still buy it sooner partially to impress others.
    Does it have an impact on people when doing these things, even if they don't know objectively if it's exclusive or not? Yes it has.

The undaunted trophies are another great example of things a lot of people don't care about anymore, that in the beginning seemed like a cool thing to go after. Maybe you and the people you know still care about them, but I don't and I don't know a single person that do anymore.
  • playfull_kitten
    playfull_kitten
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    I was just thinking: what if good gear was locked behind rather difficult housing achievements.

What sort of housing achievements are you talking about? I don't think they've figured out how to properly do "difficult housing achievements" -- and therefore they haven't tried locking anything behind them.
    Housing is tricky to make "difficult" beyond lousy drop rates on plans and stupid materials requirements. Neither are necessarily appropriate to lock a reward behind though.

Ownership of x-amount of houses? maybe owning x-amount of achievement furnishings? learned x-amount of plans? or even the x-amount of achievements for mats gathering.

In my country there is a saying: if one wants something, one finds a way to get it. If ZOS really wanted to lock stuff behind housing achievements, it could be easily done.

Having the boat locked behind vet trial content is quite mean towards the housing community. All the comments here justifing that on grounds of competitiveness and "stand out in the crowd" is just a load of crap.

1) if standing out in the crowd is so important to you, i feel terribly sorry for you. Obviously it must be a compensation for rl.
    2) i propose to ZOS to put the next OP DPS gear behind a housing or fishing achievement. Coz imo it's only fair the tables get turned.
    This one likes to play.....
  • playfull_kitten
    playfull_kitten
    ✭✭✭

I couldn't agree more with you @bluebird and disagree with @Thoragaal
    This one likes to play.....
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably finish that vet trial somewhere this year but I don' t know where I should put that boat in the first place .. :#

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you angsting over this let me give you a crumb of comfort.

If you have this boat and place it in water at the Dock of say your new orc forge house you end up with a water filled boat that looks less than impressive.

Definitely not worth the grind or the gold cost.
    Edited by Thannazzar on June 8, 2020 9:44PM
  • TradoTheOne
    TradoTheOne
    ✭✭✭
    Soriana wrote: »
    My raid team completed vKA and 8/12 of us went to go buy the boat immediately so yeah, raiders decorate and decorators raid!
    Still, the ratio of raiders who decorate is far less than the decorators who decorate :tongue: And it gets tiresome that this item-gating only goes one way. 'Decorators raid' as you say, but decoration doesn't have a single item set locked behind it; why should raiding have decorations locked behind it then?

All the types of gameplay that have furnishings locked behind them that force housing fans to do them all really gets on my nerves. :frowning: Why lock furnishings behind trials when many decorators won't be able to get them, and many raiders don't care about them? Housing fans need to quest, grind, craft, do Antiquities, do dungeons, do trials and do PvP to do housing. But housing fans do quest, craft, do PvE and PvP and yet get no item sets, no harvestable materials, no cosmetics, no xp bonus buffs or anything else from housing. (For example SWTOR's houses provide bonus conquest points and materials, GW's housing provides bonus materials.)

Let us play TES:Sims if we want to play TES:Sims, not only after we played CoD, CandyCrush, and Warcaft too.

I just want to state this first.
    The almighty boat is 250k and is in all honesty so unfathomable small it is simply only worth to buy if you trade alot or sell crowns.
    If I ever put down 250k for that boat and some guest would ask me about it, I would tell them the gold prize first and about vKA after, so in my opinion its just a flex, just like housing is now.

Sure RP'ers would like to RP, but if there isn't a boat in a Nord home, maybe they sailed to other shores to plunder and drink mead, right?

To your point about what housing fans "have" to do: play the game to get cool stuff? I would argue yes.
    Don't get me wrong I really don't care about that boat enough to buy it or not let normal runners get it, but the prize speaks for itself, its a flex item.

__I know this is not totally housing related, but first time I saw the Worm Wizzard personality, I made my mind up, I needed that! Then got it. Did it take some time? It did. But if you set a goal, you have some thing to strive for and become better at. Plus the BIGGEST reward I got from the challenger runs, was really nice friends over the internet!

So go! On to your adventure where cool companions await and where teasures will be plentiful in the forms of boats, doors and bursts!
    3 2 1 - My horn
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

Ownership of x-amount of houses? maybe owning x-amount of achievement furnishings? learned x-amount of plans? or even the x-amount of achievements for mats gathering.

These are 1-time achievements. What happens when you want to offer another item and lock it behind housing / gathering again? Make people buy more houses? Crown store only houses even? Gather even more mats?

New content such as another trial means it's reusable (each time you successfully run you can get something) and fresh (new trial for new content). It's certainly different from something very passive (dropping a pile of gold to get a house) or boring (running around for another day collecting nodes), neither of which are actually "hard" per se primarily because the conditions for "failure" are very low or non-existent.

Making you "work" for something in an MMO is basically just trying to keep you actively engaged with the game, probably hoping that more contact with the game means you'll spend more money. That's why trials are hard and they try to put special rewards there -- to hook those people who are willing to keep trying over and over.
    But what sometimes happens is people who want the reward but don't want to do that particular content. Like style pages on IC bosses.
    So bottom line, it's probably a case of "you can't please everyone all the time".
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 26, 2020 6:43AM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All the types of gameplay that have furnishings locked behind them that force housing fans to do them all really gets on my nerves. :frowning: Why lock furnishings behind trials when many decorators won't be able to get them, and many raiders don't care about them? Housing fans need to quest, grind, craft, do Antiquities, do dungeons, do trials and do PvP to do housing. But housing fans do quest, craft, do PvE and PvP and yet get no item sets, no harvestable materials, no cosmetics, no xp bonus buffs or anything else from housing. (For example SWTOR's houses provide bonus conquest points and materials, GW's housing provides bonus materials.)

More storage based on the number of houses you own would be nice.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 26, 2020 6:57AM
This discussion has been closed.