The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DLC dungeon fun thread - Cradle of Shadows

zvavi
zvavi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So this one will be the first one(if enough people participate there will be many). It was yesterday's pledge.

Please name three things.
First, your favourite mechanic. It can be something cool, or something hard, or interesting.
Second, your favourite quote, it can be one you like to occasionally use with ESO friends, or one that you think adds a lot of personality to the characters, or one that you like, just because.
Third, your favourite boss. While many times it will probably be similar to the previous two, you have to state your reason~.

I will start,

Favourite mechanic, it might be anti climatic, but I like the spider silk pull and then big red aoe explosion (third boss, big spider). As a tank I always turn spider away, and the mechanic is easily noticeable, that I have time to roll through the spider, and stand behind it away from AOE before it even started casting it. "Cool guys don't look at explosions" kind of thing. It is even more funny when I am standing there for more than 5 seconds and a dd dies to that AOE cause he didn't get away fast enough.

Favourite quote, this one was hard for me, but I ended up with Velidreth's (last boss, big fat and ugly spider....thing) dying moment. "Mephala, I'm starving, I'm starving". It paints Velidreth's personality greatly, that at her core, she is just a hungry spider loyal to Mephala.

Favourite boss. This one is hard too. I really have hard time playing favourites, but I ended up with Velidreth again. She is really well made, all the fight her voice just gives the right "vibe" and gives mechanic queues as well. From all the dungeons where sound indicates the mechanics, I think she is the most memorable one. And for that, she has my vote.

Just hoped to put some more positive here, and dlc dungeons are my favourite activity, so feel free to join me in this madness :D
Edited by zvavi on May 22, 2020 6:27AM
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    COS is probably my top 3. Unhallowed Grove is there too.

Mechanic: the impale during the Veli fight is a novel twist on get out of red ... delayed. Kind of keeps you thinking.

Quote: Veli calling us sweet meat. Love it. Her voice is sultry, so, (considering this is an M-rated game), I was a little shocked (a'ight, disappointed!) when she was finally revealed!

Boss: Veli. Its actually a fun fight.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not really into PvE but one dungeon i always enjoy is Ruins of Mazzatun. I like all the mechanics in that dungeon and their bosses as well.
    As for the quote, my favourite one is "Even if you defeat me, you won't HEAL ME!", from 1st boss in CoH2. The original quote is "Even if you defeat me, you won't get far", but there are so many times where he can't finish the sentence because his health drops too fast and immediatly asks for help, making a weird quote.

Edit: Just realized you were asking specifically about CoS, lol.
    Edited by Vietfox on May 22, 2020 6:49AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Mechanic - not that I love it, but it is rather memorable - aoe heavy attack of Dranos. It has quite misleading telegraph and so it is rather amusing like many pugs will suddenly die to it (and I of course died to it too before I figured out it is heavy attack :D )
    2. Quote - that voice of agony of mage boss, "Lady, forgiiive meeeee".
    3. Boss, obviously Velidreth, I think it is one of the most iconic boss fights in the game. Amount of interesting mechanics, shadow sense discussions after half-wipe, Velidreth helm which was always a dream of every newbie stamdps and his happy smile if he gets it in divines :D

• Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't my favourite dungeon, because I generally dislike any snares and slows in games. But I remember when I was doing this with my guildmates. We just focused velidreth as hard as we could (because this is what we do) and then we had to crawl our way back through her labyrith without a torch and we were laughing our asses of how stupid we are.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "don't move a muscle"
    wipe

Back when this mechanic was bugged, she refused to climb to ceiling, so players started making ways to detect when you need to dodge. Green circle, smoke under feet, screen shaking (must be enabled in game options), screen bluring, some special sound you need to hear, double dodge method and other super crazy stuff. That was fun )
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite mechanic:
    A lot of people don't know it, but on last boss the ultimate eating and the orbs that are floating around the room are part of the same mechanic, and they are both controllable. The boss pulls in the person with the most ultimate, and the color of the orbs corresponds to the highest stat of the person whose ultimate was eaten. So especially in groups with a healer it's usually best for the tank to not use his ultimate, and everyone else to use theirs ASAP. That way the orbs will always be red, and the healer can easily deal with it.

CoS isn't really a dungeon I think about when talking about favorite anything, so I don't really have a favorite boss or quote, but I like this kind of mechanics with not immediately obvious interactions, especially if such mechanics are not a form of 1-shots, but could still create a significant difference in difficulty when ignored.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This dungeon has one of very few mechanics I like in this game - when Velidreth is preparing to hunt with Shadow Sense :) It's always thrilling to wait for the right moment to dodge, and most of times I've seen at least one group member die to it.

My favourite quote is from dungeon quest ending:

OXbDlyA.jpg

• Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In terms of quotes I get all kinds of hot and bothered every time Velidreth calls me "sweetmeat".
    Edited by Mindcr0w on May 22, 2020 10:49AM
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can think of when I hear Velidreth is Blanche Devereaux from Golden Girls :D
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the Drano fight when you have to interrupt the red ghost or he slaughters you’re tank.

What does he say? Something something “While I Sweep You Off Your Feet” such a romantic guy that Drano.

I think the second boss is the best. If your group is stuck here, there’s no reason to press any further. It’s a good tell tale.

Though yesterday, our tank kept dying at the first boss. So we vote kicked him. Then I left. Because waiting around for a tank. No.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mechanic: last boss, torch & maze flight no fight; if magicka-using role I find without using purple food it can be death-by-stamina-attrition. Also, I sometimes wonder if non-communicating randoms would prefer to duel over who gets a torch. ;)

Quote: 'don't move a muscle'. It's literal and interesting to see how others react. I think It's also not as blatant a reveal/telegraph that you find in later dlc dungeons with an npc essentially giving timed instructions (which still get ignored, oddly).

Boss: kephidean(?) - the one that teleports, hits the dim-switch on lights (and some players, including this one) and needs to be interrupted. It's not so hard...but it is, if that makes sense. I think this boss is a good test of group viability - whether the group runs around like headless chickens or play cooperatively.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love how veli talks mad s**t during the whole battle, lol.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I like the Drano fight when you have to interrupt the red ghost or he slaughters you’re tank.
    What does he say? Something something “While I Sweep You Off Your Feet” such a romantic guy that Drano.

Yesssss he is adorable, so romantic, my favourite quote from him is "care to dance"
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like the last fight, and the boss with the braziers that you need to interrupt.

I also like that you have to stay out of the shadows or take damage.

It's not a dungeon I look forward to, though because it's very claustrophobic (which is well done). I prefer Ruins of Mazzatun of the two SotH dungeons.
    The Moot Councillor