The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Malacath's Band of Brutality: Is it brutal enough in terms of damage?

• BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your first sentence should tell you why this set is too powerful:
    First, i'm not stating that crits are necessarily better than malacath's non crits

This is exactly the issue builds not utilizing malacath will have less damage all the time, even classes which have a crit damage passive like NB benefit more from running malacath than investing into crits next patch.
  • LuxiasCaelum13
    LuxiasCaelum13
    ✭✭✭
    BohnT2 wrote: »
    First, i'm not stating that crits are necessarily better than malacath's non crits

This is exactly the issue builds not utilizing malacath will have less damage all the time, even classes which have a crit damage passive like NB benefit more from running malacath than investing into crits next patch.

I hate to repeat myself, so story short, not everything revolves around damage
    Don't make me say the same thing twice. Don't make me say it a third time. I hate having to repeat myself because it's useless. ~Giorno Giovanna
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If we're talking about a set that increases damage it is the most important thing.
  • LuxiasCaelum13
    LuxiasCaelum13
    ✭✭✭

If we're talking about a set that increases damage it is the most important thing.

If we are talking about a set that increases damage, the most important thing is to analyze how it impacts the builds based on its synergy with the class, the playstyle and the actual pvp dynamics. Looking only at the damage numbers is a noob move. By that logic, caluurion should be insanely op because "damage", when everyone knows there are many factors that prove otherwise.

Plot twist: That's actually how all sets should be analyzed, regardless of whether they are offensive or defensive.
    Edited by LuxiasCaelum13 on May 14, 2020 3:41PM
    Don't make me say the same thing twice. Don't make me say it a third time. I hate having to repeat myself because it's useless. ~Giorno Giovanna
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Xebov wrote: »

I think you miss some pieces here.

No matter what combination of gear you wear you will loose the last set bonus on something, except for some edge case builds where players already wear incomplete sets.

You cannot crit, except for abilities that guarantee a crit. This means that all sets that proc on crit will not work. It also means that set bonuses that give crit become useless. Which in turn limits the available sets.

I might be wrong, but when it comes to this item i have the strong feeling that some ppl forget to factor these things in and end up with higher theoretical damage than they would reach in reality.

Not only that, but ppl is still freaking out with proc sets. Like, you guys know that all heavy hitting proc sets are easily avoidable, and poison sets like viper or sheer venom are not strong enough to make them gamebreaking right?

And btw, talking about sacrificing things to wear this ring, skills that guarantee crits, like artherial burst, can't crit.

Oh my sweet summerchild, be ready for a rude awakening once people acquired it.

People defending this set have no clue how much this will impact the meta.

I already wrote a response talking about why is not gonna be so overpowered, so yes, i think i already know pretty well.

you state so many wrong things in your post starting from your missconception that crits are stronger than normal hits from malacath which they aren't you have to use a crit damage focused build in order to get more damage from crits than regular hits from malacath.

This means every single time your build not using malacath doesn't crit you lose damage and even if you crit you only get equal damage.
    Even if you'd hit for a little bit more damage on crits you'll lose damage in your burst combo.
    Assuming you play stamwarden and your basic combo is shalks+light attack+bash+wrecking blow+light attack+2h ult over 2 gcds.
    That means 6 damage instances, not counting enchantment procs, not counting dots.
    Even if your build has a crit chance of 65% which is already ridicoulus to begin with.
    In order for every single damage instance to crit you have a chance of 0.65^6= 0.075 or 7.5%.
    From this we can then make another step to find out how many times we have to perform our burst combo in order to have a X% chance for this to happen.
    n>= ln(1- percentage chance we want the result to occure) / ln(1-percentage chance the result occurs)

if we want all skills to crit once with a chance of 90% for it to happen it'll take us 29.5 -> 30 tries to have this 90% chance for it to happen.

Of course we'd have to weigh the different damage instances differently to be more accurate but it won't change the result in any meaningful way.

Keep in mind this result is already based on a niche build that has already less damage than a regular build due to opportunity costs.

Going further down your arguments you state that tanks can't use this set which is horribly wrong.
    You don't have to give up any sets especially not on stamina specs using 1h+s on one bar.
    You can easily run the following set combination: 2 monster, 1 malacath, 3 Body first set, 2 body + 2 jewelry second set and 2 weapon first set --> 2/1/5/4 and on backbar you'll have 2/1/4/5 when using sword and board.

Sets which can be used easily with this setup: NMA (front), Stuhn's(either), cyrodiils crest (back), deadly strikes (front), clever alchemist (back), 7th legion (either), essence thief (either), spriggan (front), titanborn (front)
    and that's just a small range of the stamina sets, not even counting damage proc sets.

The only sets that get hurt by this setup are Fury, unchained aggressor, pariah, yandir's might and some others.

I hope this shows you the most blatant flaws of your reasoning

I think the reason he thinks that tanks can not use malacath, is that it does not give flat damage, but %. And 25% of little is still not much. So a tank who has small base damage to begin with, won't get stellar results from malacath.

Still this is such an overreaction. Even if it gave 25% damage to anyone, which it does not seem to do, it would not be that terrible. Multiple people seem to have come to the conclusion that it's merely 16% damage in most cases or less. It is not worth it. I would even call it underpowered... If I get cursed, then I want to get kissed. But Malacath only licks me swiftly.

Yes, thank you. I already stated from my tests it gives about +16% obviously that was a test on my setup and won't apply to everyone. This is the same as a crit against someone wearing full impen in no cp with the new base crit resist of 1350(2253).

I also tested it in duels and I would say on my setup I was a lot more successful with the ability to crit. Because at worse your critical strikes will do +16% in no cp, but will do more against a lot of people. It will be good on a heavy armor build, but aside from that. I wouldn't run it...
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No matter what combination of gear you wear you will loose the last set bonus on something, except for some edge case builds where players already wear incomplete sets.

You cannot crit, except for abilities that guarantee a crit. This means that all sets that proc on crit will not work. It also means that set bonuses that give crit become useless. Which in turn limits the available sets.

I might be wrong, but when it comes to this item i have the strong feeling that some ppl forget to factor these things in and end up with higher theoretical damage than they would reach in reality.

Not only that, but ppl is still freaking out with proc sets. Like, you guys know that all heavy hitting proc sets are easily avoidable, and poison sets like viper or sheer venom are not strong enough to make them gamebreaking right?

And btw, talking about sacrificing things to wear this ring, skills that guarantee crits, like artherial burst, can't crit.

I already wrote a response talking about why is not gonna be so overpowered, so yes, i think i already know pretty well.

you state so many wrong things in your post starting from your missconception that crits are stronger than normal hits from malacath which they aren't you have to use a crit damage focused build in order to get more damage from crits than regular hits from malacath.

This means every single time your build not using malacath doesn't crit you lose damage and even if you crit you only get equal damage.
    Even if you'd hit for a little bit more damage on crits you'll lose damage in your burst combo.
    Assuming you play stamwarden and your basic combo is shalks+light attack+bash+wrecking blow+light attack+2h ult over 2 gcds.
    That means 6 damage instances, not counting enchantment procs, not counting dots.
    Even if your build has a crit chance of 65% which is already ridicoulus to begin with.
    In order for every single damage instance to crit you have a chance of 0.65^6= 0.075 or 7.5%.
    From this we can then make another step to find out how many times we have to perform our burst combo in order to have a X% chance for this to happen.
    n>= ln(1- percentage chance we want the result to occure) / ln(1-percentage chance the result occurs)

if we want all skills to crit once with a chance of 90% for it to happen it'll take us 29.5 -> 30 tries to have this 90% chance for it to happen.

Of course we'd have to weigh the different damage instances differently to be more accurate but it won't change the result in any meaningful way.

Keep in mind this result is already based on a niche build that has already less damage than a regular build due to opportunity costs.

Going further down your arguments you state that tanks can't use this set which is horribly wrong.
    You don't have to give up any sets especially not on stamina specs using 1h+s on one bar.
    You can easily run the following set combination: 2 monster, 1 malacath, 3 Body first set, 2 body + 2 jewelry second set and 2 weapon first set --> 2/1/5/4 and on backbar you'll have 2/1/4/5 when using sword and board.

Sets which can be used easily with this setup: NMA (front), Stuhn's(either), cyrodiils crest (back), deadly strikes (front), clever alchemist (back), 7th legion (either), essence thief (either), spriggan (front), titanborn (front)
    and that's just a small range of the stamina sets, not even counting damage proc sets.

The only sets that get hurt by this setup are Fury, unchained aggressor, pariah, yandir's might and some others.

I think the reason he thinks that tanks can not use malacath, is that it does not give flat damage, but %. And 25% of little is still not much. So a tank who has small base damage to begin with, won't get stellar results from malacath.

Still this is such an overreaction. Even if it gave 25% damage to anyone, which it does not seem to do, it would not be that terrible. Multiple people seem to have come to the conclusion that it's merely 16% damage in most cases or less. It is not worth it. I would even call it underpowered... If I get cursed, then I want to get kissed. But Malacath only licks me swiftly.

Yes, thank you. I already stated from my tests it gives about +16% obviously that was a test on my setup and won't apply to everyone. This is the same as a crit against someone wearing full impen in no cp with the new base crit resist of 1350(2253).

I also tested it in duels and I would say on my setup I was a lot more successful with the ability to crit. Because at worse your critical strikes will do +16% in no cp, but will do more against a lot of people. It will be good on a heavy armor build, but aside from that. I wouldn't run it...

I hope you had 3603 crit resistance on the character you were testing on because right now the base crit resistance isn't working.

• relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I hope you had 3603 crit resistance on the character you were testing on because right now the base crit resistance isn't working.

I know it isn't👍 yes I have tested it.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BohnT2 I understand your worries. I myself am someone to quickly act up as well when something seems overpowered.
    With this ring I just don't see it. The detriment is high and the gain is not even as high as promised.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, thank you. I already stated from my tests it gives about +16% obviously that was a test on my setup and won't apply to everyone.

So were you one of the people that tested it on one of the multitude of builds that had amplitude or exploiter or other damage modifiers on the target?

Amplitude reduced dmg by 10% when malacath was equipped.
    Exploiter reduced dmg by 10% when malacath was equipped.
    Engulfing - same thing by it´s respective %.

Malacath had weird interaction when other on target % dmg modifiers were present in any form or shape.
    Alledgedly it works correct now as of 6.0.3 on pts (previously you had to remove these interactions to get correct test results - i last tested it in 6.0.2).

If you only got a 16% dmg increase out of it chances are near 100% you had on of those weird interactions in your test and therefor got a skewed result.

In noCP malacath will increase dmg by flat 25%. In CP it will increase dmg by ~21 to 23% depending on build and cp allocations.
    If you got weird results you´ll have to retest - and (that´s what pts is for) explore why you get results that are not explainable with simply having additive dmg modifiers (getting 16% out of a 25% modifier is such a case).

A sorcerer with 72% critdmg will crit as high on 3400 impen as he will hit every hit with malacath if the test was done correctly with all bugged interactions removed (as of 6.0.3 impen of 3400 means having 4 pieces of impen).
    Edited by Derra on May 14, 2020 4:47PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Yes, thank you. I already stated from my tests it gives about +16% obviously that was a test on my setup and won't apply to everyone.

So were you one of the people that tested it on one of the multitude of builds that had amplitude or exploiter or other damage modifiers on the target?

Malacath had weird interaction when other on target % dmg modifiers were present in any form or shape.
    Alledgedly it works correct now as of 6.0.3 on pts (previously you had to remove these interactions to get correct test results).

If you only got a 16% dmg increase out of it chances are near 100% you had on of those weird interactions in your test and therefor got a skewed result.

In noCP malacath will increase dmg by flat 25%. In CP it will increase dmg by ~21 to 23% depending on build and cp allocations.
    If you got weird results you´ll have to retest - and (that´s what pts is for) explore why you get results that are not explainable with simply having additive dmg modifiers (getting 16% out of a 25% modifier is such a case).

A sorcerer with 72% critdmg will crit as high on 3400 impen as he will hit every hit with malacath if the test was done correctly (as of 6.0.3 impen of 3400 means having 4 pieces of impen).

Could have been that it was so. I personally always remove amplitude on the pts because I find it intrusive.
    Even on the current build, I do not get 25% damage on any of my abilities. Crystal Fragments only deals 10% more damage.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alledgedly it works correct now as of 6.0.3 on pts (previously you had to remove these interactions to get correct test results).

A sorcerer with 72% critdmg will crit as high on 3400 impen as he will hit every hit with malacath if the test was done correctly (as of 6.0.3 impen of 3400 means having 4 pieces of impen).

Could have been that it was so. I personally always remove amplitude on the pts because I find it intrusive.
    Even on the current build, I do not get 25% damage on any of my abilities. Crystal Fragments only deals 10% more damage.

In which case it´s most likely bugged in some form or shape with fragments (if you get more dmg increase out of other abilities) which should be examined and then reported.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Alledgedly it works correct now as of 6.0.3 on pts (previously you had to remove these interactions to get correct test results - i last tested it in 6.0.2).

A sorcerer with 72% critdmg will crit as high on 3400 impen as he will hit every hit with malacath if the test was done correctly with all bugged interactions removed (as of 6.0.3 impen of 3400 means having 4 pieces of impen).

I will test tonight, after I have tested some antiquity stuff. The only way it would be a flat increase of 25% is if it is applied after everything else. Which I don't think is the case...
    It may be as you suggested better than +16% but I'm not so sure.

Base crit resist is still not working so we have been removing all cp bar an additional 1350 via the cp tree.

I have done duels with malacalth and found my particular build is a lot more effective without it.
    As I said I think it will benefit very low crit builds, but high crit otherwise is too greater benefit offensively and defensively. I am not saying it isn't good, but it won't be for a lot of builds. Major berserk only does +16% at the end of calculations, but the difference is you can crit with it.

It was the ring I was most excited for, but honestly testing it completely changed my mind.
    Wild Hunt has been my favourite mythic PvP wise, but I am enjoying fast builds at the moment.
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a small question here in regards to damage modifiers, but has anyone taken the band of brutality combined with essence thief into account? Because since it offers a 10% damage done buff for a time, I wonder how it would work in tandem with other sources of damage...
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feels like it should be somewhere along 55%-75% damage increase, because the inability to do critical damage is just brutally terrible with only 25%. I'd say 70% in PVE and 25% in PVP.

It is quite underwhelming. Also, if you consider the majority of stam sets out there, most have a set bonus of Crit. It is kind of difficult that find a worthwhile stam build without having a wasted set bonus.

So far, You can use Lokke to get an extra 20% damage dealt (Minor and Major Slayer), with no crit bonuses. This can be paired with Draugr Hulk for a total of 5848 Maximum Stamina. And as long as Minor Berserk is up, you should have your damage increased by 53%.

As noted above, you can uses Essence Thief as well. to take you up to 63% damage dealt
    Edited by kathandira on July 7, 2020 4:06PM
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No those 25% are already highly overtuned in PvP as they give you the damage you'd deal with crits but on every single hit.
    That means it basically gives a 100% crit bonus while also ignoring any investment people did to combat crits.

It's one of the most game breaking sets this game has ever seen, what makes it worse is that it'll highly affect the meta and change how builds have to work.

I don't think it does bro. Im testing things now and one of my crit hits did 15k on a world boss (western overlook) at full health. Restarted the fight, equipped the Malacath ring, and i only hit at 9.7k. Got the bosses health down to 29% and i was only able to hit a max of 10.8k. I know world bosses have armour and what not, but you shouldn't say you deal the crit damage you would normally do but as normal hits, because you don't lol.

Edit* I used the same attack throughout the fight btw.
    Edited by Chrysa1is on December 24, 2020 3:26AM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrysa1is wrote: »
    No those 25% are already highly overtuned in PvP as they give you the damage you'd deal with crits but on every single hit.
    That means it basically gives a 100% crit bonus while also ignoring any investment people did to combat crits.

It's one of the most game breaking sets this game has ever seen, what makes it worse is that it'll highly affect the meta and change how builds have to work.

I don't think it does bro. Im testing things now and one of my crit hits did 15k on a world boss (western overlook) at full health. Restarted the fight, equipped the Malacath ring, and i only hit at 9.7k. Got the bosses health down to 29% and i was only able to hit a max of 10.8k. I know world bosses have armour and what not, but you shouldn't say you deal the crit damage you would normally do but as normal hits, because you don't lol.

The person you quotes specifically said “in PvP” (7 months ago...). Your comparison to a world boss is invalid.
    Edited by Reverb on December 24, 2020 3:40AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Chrysa1is wrote: »

The person you quotes specifically said “in PvP” (7 months ago...). Your comparison to a world boss is invalid.

Oh my bad. In before you edit.

Your spelling of the word "quoted" is invalid. (You wrote "the person you "quotes")

6mins ago.........
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How poorly this post has aged lol, now malacath enables the worst pvp meta in years, imagine the state if this suggested change occured.
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    I heard ZoS kept messing with crit chance, people figure that the new shiny Malacath band is the way to go. I mean with higher critical you can do more damage, but who cares when you don't have to worry about critical chance or crit damage anymore with Malacath's band giving you a consistent damage?

I understand not every build is most effective with malacath's band on though. There is a reason everyone in pvp is wearing the Impenetrable trait on almost all armor pieces....also because the other traits are weak sauce lol
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »
    How poorly this post has aged lol, now malacath enables the worst pvp meta in years, imagine the state if this suggested change occured.

It actually aged pretty well. Everyone responded to OP that he is wrong and that malacath will be very strong.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kory wrote: »
    I heard ZoS kept messing with crit chance, people figure that the new shiny Malacath band is the way to go. I mean with higher critical you can do more damage, but who cares when you don't have to worry about critical chance or crit damage anymore with Malacath's band giving you a consistent damage?

I understand not every build is most effective with malacath's band on though. There is a reason everyone in pvp is wearing the Impenetrable trait on almost all armor pieces....also because the other traits are weak sauce lol

Nah. Not everyone is running full impen atm. I would go as far as saying that running full impen right now is a mistake with the amount of proc sets , people using malacath , addition of 1320 base crit resist and nerf to impen itself.
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Kory wrote: »

Nah. Not everyone is running full impen atm. I would go as far as saying that running full impen right now is a mistake with the amount of proc sets , people using malacath , addition of 1320 base crit resist and nerf to impen itself.

I can't speak for everyone, but every pvp build I've seen has at least 5 Impen. You'd be hard pressed to find a build without stacking Impenetrable and at least two other traits. That with the addition buff to base crit resistance, it's the popular thing to have because crit damage is more times than not the most effective burst. Also I can't speak for everyone and say they are all using Malacath. Because not everyone is, and Malacath is not even viable for certain builds.
    Now Malacath buffing proc sets is THE issue to me. Don't have to worry about crit chance and crit damage the armor you're wearing is fighting for you/with you and is buffed by Malacath. lol