The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

It is time for Class Change Token

• kingsirdrmr
    kingsirdrmr
    ✭✭✭
    Radiance wrote: »
    I focused all my efforts on just one character, since 2015 when I started playing. How can I jump to a new one and abandon all researched traits, max leveled mount, a lot of motifs learned, a lot of skillpoints and a lot of achievement points? This is the problem, and a Class Change Token would solve it.

So... thoughts?
    Would first like say I am Not opposed to the idea but is it really "abandoning" your character if you make a new one, there is a character selection screen for a reason.
    Megatto wrote: »
    If they can do Alliance Change, then Class Change should be no problem at all
    Lol Alliance change is taking your existing character, changing their color and putting them in another location.

Class change is essentially unravelling an existing character. Not saying it cant be done if you're willing to relevel your Skill lines but just seems like it makes more sense to make a new one...

So, I guess I'm just trying to understand this mindset?

My only real opposition is that some will argue that this is "Pay-2-Win" bc the Meta Chasers can just buy whichever class the developers decide is in season at the time without putting the real work in. Although, I suppose with the Skyshard and Skill line able to be unlocked through the crown store we have already opened that Pandora's Box so why the Hell not? lol

I don't think it falls under p2w, since no one is stopping meta-chasers from having a pre-leveled character they keep off to the side and gear when a class is strong. I think the hardcore players are more likely to have one of each class leveled, anyway. That leaves class change to a convenience for casuals or people with less time on their hands. It's only a matter of time, I think.
    For the Queen! | PC/NA, Cyrodiil, IC, Quests, CP 2000+[*] Tyaminal-rabi | Khajiiti Sorceress [*] Vita-rabi | Khajiiti Warden werewolf[*] Dr Good-and-Sexy | Argonian Warden[*] the Southern Mare | Redguard Necromancer[*] Sally Two-Horns | Orsimer Nightblade
  • Critter064
    Critter064
    Soul Shriven
    jekyto wrote: »
    ... tell me how fair will be against ppl who worked so hard on different toons to get the stuff they want, and suddenly everyone can have everything for a cost of a token?
    I vote NO

I think this is just a jealously reaction. Not everyone is in the position to spend the time to fully enjoy all capacities of the game even if wanted. You don't have any disadvantages in case of ZOS give a Class Change Token. This is only a chance of equality for those players who cannot rest ingame in lack of time.

I vote YES for a class change token!

@ZOS: I would like to get the full capacity of this game too, so please give us the possibility to change the class!
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut is to say NO to class change. Seems complicated. My big question is will it "remember" your previous class or would you have to relevel your original class. If it "remembers," power gamers could essentially level up all classes in one char and switch to whatever class they wanted very quickly. Conversly, if you didn't like your new class but had to relevel your original that would *** people off too.
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    aipex8_ESO wrote: »
    My gut is to say NO to class change. Seems complicated. My big question is will it "remember" your previous class or would you have to relevel your original class. If it "remembers," power gamers could essentially level up all classes in one char and switch to whatever class they wanted very quickly. Conversly, if you didn't like your new class but had to relevel your original that would *** people off too.

those who would want to change classes around meta etc are doing it already by having tons of lvled already characters to switch for content or pvp what would be in meta and so they dont care that much about progress on single character as they already have many playable alts while people sticking to single character because of progress are stuck to this single class to play because they...we dont want, dont have willing to play alts because of progress being stuck so badly for single characters
  • Claras
    Claras
    Soul Shriven
    Players who aim to play current meta and have the time to play tons of twinks should do it.
    There are several advantages to doing so.
    These players play ESO like ZOS says: Play how you like to play.
    I think players who have less time and don't want to play as many alts should also be able to play as they want.
    A class change token could be a fair option for this. In my opinion nobody is disadvantaged who does not use it.
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dangerously cloae to pay to win. I know you will hate to read this but getting in game combat advantages by paying is a dangerous direction eso don't need.

A player with a lot of money can simply switch classes to get te best setup for a particular akivement.

And yes it must be really annoying.
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read all these "sky is falling" and "Its play to win" and "its a slippery slop"..... then I hop on FFXIV and switch from Paladin to Warrior with s push of a button and am disappointed I don't sunder the server. Then I hop on DCUO and pay $10 to swap my Celestial to Fire and again nothing happens. I'm starting to think the arguments against are a touch exaggerated.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • wDzZ
    wDzZ
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great idea and I don't know why it hasn't been done already. If meta changes happen so often and easily with each patch, I should be able to keep up without having to put another hundreds of hours to make and perfect a new character.

I don't see how it affects those who already built multiple different characters. You are all acting as if adding the token in the store would delete your progress, incredible.
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to second the request for a class change token. I created my main as a Sorcerer before Morrowind was released. Recently, I've realized that I don't really enjoy playing Sorcerer, whether as healer or damage dealer, and that I do enjoy playing Warden (a class I could not have selected for my main when he was created). The number of recipes, motifs, and furnishing plans my main knows, as well as his quest progress, is a major barrier to recreating him as a Warden -- and these things I cannot purchase from the Crown Store like I could with Mages Guild or Undaunted progress.

A class change token is something I would definitely purchase immediately, were it available, and I might even buy two (another for an alt who'd make more sense as a stamina Sorcerer rather than a Nightblade).

I think concerns about "meta chasing" are overblown. No one is seriously going to spend thousands of Crowns -- hundreds of dollars -- changing their characters' classes every few months as the meta shifts, and, frankly, if they do, let them. A class change isn't even going to hurt sales of skill lines in the Crown Store; purchasing skill lines is tempting for alts, and most of the time, when someone wants to try a new class, they make a new character who will need those skill lines leveled.

A class change token is something that people want due to some failing of their main or another longtime character, and the emotional investment in the character can't be replicated even if, in theory, the time investment can be. A class change token would be ideal to "fix" these longtime characters and prolong interest in playing them.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to second the request for a class change token. I created my main as a Sorcerer before Morrowind was released. Recently, I've realized that I don't really enjoy playing Sorcerer, whether as healer or damage dealer, and that I do enjoy playing Warden (a class I could not have selected for my main when he was created). The number of recipes, motifs, and furnishing plans my main knows, as well as his quest progress, is a major barrier to recreating him as a Warden -- and these things I cannot purchase from the Crown Store like I could with Mages Guild or Undaunted progress.

A class change token is something I would definitely purchase immediately, were it available, and I might even buy two (another for an alt who'd make more sense as a stamina Sorcerer rather than a Nightblade).

I think concerns about "meta chasing" are overblown. No one is seriously going to spend thousands of Crowns -- hundreds of dollars -- changing their characters' classes every few months as the meta shifts, and, frankly, if they do, let them. A class change isn't even going to hurt sales of skill lines in the Crown Store; purchasing skill lines is tempting for alts, and most of the time, when someone wants to try a new class, they make a new character who will need those skill lines leveled.

A class change token is something that people want due to some failing of their main or another longtime character, and the emotional investment in the character can't be replicated even if, in theory, the time investment can be. A class change token would be ideal to "fix" these longtime characters and prolong interest in playing them.

I agree that people concerned about class change with regards to meta chasing are exaggerating the significance. Especially if every time you change class you have to level class skill lines from zero. I don't see them setting this up where they store the progress on all class skills for each character. That means the more likely design would be resetting all progress when changing class.

That being said, it won't cost hundreds of dollars to get thousands of crowns for people who sub and don't do housing or spend on cosmetics. I have almost 50k crowns just from subbing. I have the assistants. I have 18 character slots. There just isn't anything to spend them on. I didn't want to spend crowns on CC during the recent sale, but it is getting ridiculous holding on to the crowns when it doesn't look like there will be anything I want to spend them on. So I went ahead and bought CC. Since I buy the chapters with cash, that means there is only 1 DLC a year to spend crowns on. I would never buy dungeon DLC since I would prefer to not have access to them when I don't have an active sub for simpler random pugging.
  • HertoginJanneke
    HertoginJanneke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Silaf wrote: »
    Dangerously cloae to pay to win. I know you will hate to read this but getting in game combat advantages by paying is a dangerous direction eso don't need.

A player with a lot of money can simply switch classes to get te best setup for a particular akivement.

You can say the same for race and alliance change. But they made this possible this without any penalty, so why not for class change ?
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So what? Why is that a problem? They still have to earn the achievement.

Do you consider ESO+ p2w because of the 10% XP buff? p2w defined so broadly is not a useful term.
  • Claras
    Claras
    Soul Shriven

Oh no, I don't hate to read your objection about Class Change Token.
    Every post here helps keep the topic alive. So thank you.
    The previous speakers have already adequately explained that the Class Change Token is just another way to have the greatest amount of fun in ESO. Like there are many other options already.
    So has nothing to do with the evil ptw.

Therefore - Yes for Class Change Token.
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a necessity for this. Just level an alt.
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bring on the class change tokens
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If people are concerned about meta hoppers zos could simply tie the token to either cadwells gold or a set amount of achievement points on that char, lets say 20k achievement points to be able to class change that car.

I just wanna tank trials again, good luck doing that on the current abomination that is nightblade tanking. :'(
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like this because sometimes it isn't about the meta but you get bored with the class. Leveling an alt is all well and good but many of us like to keep the achievements on one character, sooooooooooooooooooooo, yeah. Class change token please.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Berdusk
    Berdusk
    ✭✭✭
    What's sad is that this thread has been running for nearly a year (just this one) with zero action and minimal acknowledgement from the developers on this matter. It is very clear that people want this, and I am one of them.

I used to play a MUD many years ago based on the Forgotten Realms series with a bit of Final Fantasy thrown in. My main character was a follower of Talos, Lord of Storms, and also worshipped the giant looming planetary threat that would see everyone destroyed. I even built a whole cult around this roleplay in-game. He was a dark orcish druid.

So, it being a fantasy setting, naturally I decided to bring Grobnak to Tamriel. I've had this game since launch, but it took me a long time to get into it, because at first they did not have controller support for PC. By the time they did (and I became aware of it), Wardens were available. So I made Grobnak the Warden. Great!

Except... Wardens aren't very dark. I mean, basically we're talking about an evil character, and here he is pulling up a forest and making friends with a bear who does all the heavy lifting for him. No dark master (don't get me started on how we can't join the Worm Cult or actually help Molag Bol instead of fighting him), no dark powers, really. I made it a few levels and just made an alt. Decided to go Dragon Knight because some of the powers give your character dragon wings, and in the MUD Grobnak had eventually been transformed into a RaGnARoK Demon. This, I've actually stuck with. It's not a perfect fit, but I've stuck with it.

I am actually just shy of 150 Champion Points right now. It has taken me a long time - the better part of a year or more - to get to this point. I work full-time. I'm enrolled in college full-time. When I get the odd night in to play for any length of time, a lot of that time has been spent on crafting and other achievements that I've been gradually building up. I have even worked on some alternate characters in different classes.

And you know what? Dragon Knight isn't necessarily the best fit for my main character.

Since I've actually gotten to play, I've learned for example that Sorcerers aren't penalized for dual-wielding in a certain class of armor. I've learned about the skill lines and the assigning of active abilities. Hell, it took me a minute to learn how Outfits work, too, because I just didn't have the same amount of time that everyone else did to experiment and figure it out. But by the time I finally understood how the game worked, I was already locked into this one character's progress, even though it didn't really match the RP as well as I'd have liked.

With a class change token, I could actually switch up those three skill lines that don't quite fit for ones that do. And, obviously, without one I'd have to start over on all of my crafting research traits. I'd have to start over on certain style unlocks. I'd have to start over on certain quest lines. And of course I'd have to start over on every other skill line I didn't feel like blowing a ton of money on.

I'm not going to do that. But, boy, would I like to switch out those skill lines. Sorcerer is really looking like more of the fit I wanted all along (I never expected it to be so delightfully sinister!), but I'm still looking at all of the classes as I go. It's just too bad I can't make the character that means the most to me into the class he should be.

This isn't about P2W, and frankly, I don't believe that it's about plausibility from a technical perspective. The scripting should work fine for that (get_char_class, reset_classSkills, set_charClass newClass - in a nutshell). This is about the ability to roleplay the character you want to in an RPG, and enough people asking for it to make the devs feel it is worth their time.

Please make this happen. Thank you.

• Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never have alts, I've deleted all of them! I feel sorry for people who mained a class for years only to realise that a new DLC class is their real favourite class, you have my sympathy folk.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »
    I will never have alts, I've deleted all of them! I feel sorry for people who mained a class for years only to realise that a new DLC class is their real favourite class, you have my sympathy folk.

Preach it brother.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    100% Support this. As the game grows and classes fall in and out of favour, it's good to have a way to change your character. A lot of us devote a long time to a main and would want to experience new skills without losing that progress.
  • Critter064
    Critter064
    Soul Shriven

It would be nice to read a constructive comment by ZOS in this thread. Preferably a hint that give us a bit of hope to get a CC-Token. Thank You.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eirikir wrote: »
    Athan1 wrote: »

Preach it brother.

Say it loud!
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    U30 and still nothing... :(
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Class change token please.
  • cheriella
    cheriella
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was already in the game … went researching and realized that it’s not 😪 I’d love to change my class to break the monotony. Lvling an alt is fine but losing all the achievements and everything else sux 😪
    < 3 • ESO: Cherry-xo • Steam: cheriella • My Screenshots below < 3
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C'mon ZOS... we still could use class change tokens!
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    2021 and still no class change and no discussion regarding it by ZoS...even tho it will become new revenue for them, make it 5k crown, idc, we will buy it anyway
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said in the General forum, it's less money because people want to keep all their skyshards, skill lines, outfit slots, riding lessons, and so on. That is less money that ZOS will make for development of the game. If you wipe the character, excluding looks and name, I will be happy with the introduction of a class change token. I wouldn't be disappointed if they let users keep their level but that's only 10 hours of work to hit level 50.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nastassiya wrote: »
    Like I said in the General forum, it's less money because people want to keep all their skyshards, skill lines, outfit slots, riding lessons, and so on. That is less money that ZOS will make for development of the game. If you wipe the character, excluding looks and name, I will be happy with the introduction of a class change token. I wouldn't be disappointed if they let users keep their level but that's only 10 hours of work to hit level 50.

That does not work at all for a lot of us.

1. I have no alt slots left. None. I am at the full 18. Unless they give us more character slots, I cannot make and level a new toon. Deleting ones that I have already leveled and am attached to is off the table.
    2. They are getting zero money from me as far as skyshards, skill lines, outfit slots, riding lessons or anything else because I have already done that and cannot make any new toons. If they introduced Class Change Tokens they would get money from me because I would buy the tokens.

For many of us this has absolutely nothing to do with leveling time and everything to do with wanting to keep existing characters that we love but would be happier with a different class.
    jekyto wrote: »
    And since there are currently alot of threads with complaints how ppl were robbed and how unfair was the cp system change, tell me how fair will be against ppl who worked so hard on different toons to get the stuff they want, and suddenly everyone can have everything for a cost of a token?
    I vote NO

suffering.jpg

Edited by Minyassa on May 12, 2021 9:52PM