Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of July 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 15

The true history of Cyrodiil's server problems and hope for the future.

  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    Not gonna watch any of that.
    Want skilled pvp? Go see Line][Age 2003-2008 and Tera Online 2014.

    Eso combat has 0 skill.

    So you made a false statement, which was proven wrong via video evidence, and now refuse to watch it...

    I understand. Have a nice day.

    The false statemate was that because 'skilled players' left the zergodiil, zos lowered the server performance.

    Incorrect, but I am not going to derail the topic discussing with someone who refused to read the OP, nor watch the video evidence provided to their statement. Have a nice day.
    Options
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point is it only took 1 person making a public youtube video about hacking eso going 'viral' relative to the games content popularity for them to drastically change how things are processed in the game. Whether 20 or 1,000 people used cheat engine is irrelevent.

    Also how do you know how many people use it? You checking server logs for ZOS?

    You are typing with a level of authority i don't believe you deserve
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Options
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ItsMeToo wrote: »
    The OP forgot about a lot of those so called skilled people used CE.

    its like people forget that its a pc game, and theres going to be cheaters.

    ESPECIALLY IN THE EARLY DAYS OF A GAME
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Lusty Argonian Nightblade
    ~Baron Humbert von Gikkingen~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    During development, it was determined that adding PvP would bring in a vast crowd of players from the other side of the market. The most successful PvP game to date, Dark Age of Camelot, which at one point had hundreds of thousands of accounts, was determined to be the model, due to its design around 3 sided realm combat, which could be easily fit into the ESO universe. Members of DAoCs team were brought in to work on it. The design was worked out, and Cyrodiil was chosen as the location, mainly due to its centralized map geography, and being centered around the Imperial City, which would serve as this games Darkness Falls, a pve/pvp location open to only whichever side was winning.

    Matt Firor was a vice president at Mythic and developed DAoC and the first two expansions. He was a developer and producer of DAoC and multiple expansions of that game.

    You make it appear as though this decision was made before bringing in DAoC talent when in fact it is Matt Firor, the president of Zos since 2007 that was the driving force for Cyrodiil taking a lot of queues from DAoC. You have it backward making it look like this "true" account of Cyrodiil is mired in obscurity form time just as you claim for your guildmates.

    You go on to claim knowledge of an internal discussion held as Zos during the week prior to launch. Please name the source as I have heard players claiming inside knowledge of discourse and problems at Zos such as this but they are only repeating a rumor that has no basis. That is exactly what this sounds like. If you are going to profess all this is true you need to back up such claims.

    The same with your claim that Zos removed resources from Cyrodiil because players left. That sounds like nonsense as we have always had at least one campaign capped So putting fewer resources to a campaign that is still full would be illogical. Makes for a great story but without a source for this knowledge, I question its accuracy.

    Further, Zos did reduce Cyrodiil's pop cap in the first year, supposedly for performance issues. However, you claim it is because players left. Again, have to ask you for your source.

    This "true" article seems to be an opinion piece based on rumor and conjecture. It ignores multiple well-known facts of what Zos has changed. We know that Zos added CP which adds to the calculations the server must do which would obviously reduce performance in Cyrodiil. We know ESO started off with a trusted client model and Zos moved much of that server-side after the CE scandal came to a head which again adds more load to the server. That is just to name two big factors in the state of Cyrodiil this "true" account has left out. Maybe the guildmates were correct to start off with.
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    The point is it only took 1 person making a public youtube video about hacking eso going 'viral' relative to the games content popularity for them to drastically change how things are processed in the game. Whether 20 or 1,000 people used cheat engine is irrelevent.

    Also how do you know how many people use it? You checking server logs for ZOS?

    You are typing with a level of authority i don't believe you deserve

    Incorrect. Not only is how many people using the thing that you are referencing extremely valid, but ZOS made the correct move in shifting certain things serverside to prevent it in the future. When this happened, it of course caused yet another exodus from pvp, which resulted in even further resources being shifted, which happened behind the scenes, thus people attributed it to the anti-cheat measures.

    I know about how many people used it because I know a lot of them, and its use was discussed as a group before it started being used en masse. For the record, I was very against it.
    Edited by Lowbei on March 29, 2020 7:43PM
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    Next time I should pull stuff out of my own ... as well, about how bloody awesome I was, and get tons of Insightfuls. ;D

    What this post for whatever reason fails to mention, is the widespread use of cheats, esp. Cheat Engine. Not a single word about that, and I find that ... fascinating.

    Well they used the word "true" in the thread title. It "must" be True of course! Just like everything you see on TV.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on March 30, 2020 11:27AM
    Options
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    yodased wrote: »
    The point is it only took 1 person making a public youtube video about hacking eso going 'viral' relative to the games content popularity for them to drastically change how things are processed in the game. Whether 20 or 1,000 people used cheat engine is irrelevent.

    Also how do you know how many people use it? You checking server logs for ZOS?

    You are typing with a level of authority i don't believe you deserve

    Incorrect. Not only is how many people using the thing that you are referencing extremely valid, but ZOS made the correct move in shifting certain things serverside to prevent it in the future. When this happened, it of course caused yet another exodus from pvp, which resulted in even further resources being shifted, which happened behind the scenes, thus people attributed it to the anti-cheat measures.

    I know about how many people used it because I know a lot of them, and its use was discussed as a group before it started being used en masse. For the record, I was very against it.

    I know people who have been in movies and t.v. so that means i know how many people make movies and t.v. and how the development of them work.

    Same logical fallacy. You have literally 0 idea the impact of cheat engine. Just guessing and typing with authority which isn't warranted.

    Present your opinions as opinions not fact.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discussing sources on the subject would get the thread shut down immediately, and thus not an option. I am not going to name any names, as I know the rules of this forum well.

    Those who were around back then and know the details, know that the OP is correct. Furthermore, the end result of the OP is that server resources need to be shifted back to Cyrodiil.

    If you disagree, then no worries, that is your decision. Enjoy Cyrodiil as it is now.

    Options
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    Incorrect. Not only is how many people using the thing that you are referencing extremely valid, but ZOS made the correct move in shifting certain things serverside to prevent it in the future. When this happened, it of course caused yet another exodus from pvp, which resulted in even further resources being shifted, which happened behind the scenes, thus people attributed it to the anti-cheat measures.

    I know about how many people used it because I know a lot of them, and its use was discussed as a group before it started being used en masse. For the record, I was very against it.

    Interesting theories but not much more.
    Why would there be a mass Exodus after cheat engine got removed when there was only less than 20 People using it and Performance only degraded after the mass Exodus?
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
    Options
  • justaquickword
    justaquickword
    ✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    Next time I should pull stuff out of my own ... as well, about how bloody awesome I was, and get tons of Insightfuls. ;D

    What this post for whatever reason fails to mention, is the widespread use of cheats, esp. Cheat Engine. Not a single word about that, and I find that ... fascinating.

    Yeah, good point. ZOS did originally have a lot more of PVP handled client-side, but thanks to cheaters and particularly Cheat Engine they had to move many functions server-side with a noticeable impact on performance.

    People. We're why we can't have nice things.

    This. 1000%
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    Discussing sources on the subject would get the thread shut down immediately, and thus not an option. I am not going to name any names, as I know the rules of this forum well.

    Those who were around back then and know the details, know that the OP is correct. Furthermore, the end result of the OP is that server resources need to be shifted back to Cyrodiil.

    If you disagree, then no worries, that is your decision. Enjoy Cyrodiil as it is now.

    Of course. Like any opinion piece, we can choose to agree or disagree. If it was factual that would be different but that is not the case here. If it where you would be able to back up at least parts of this, yet you have not.

    Cheers

    You could post this in the Reddit ESO forum with those sources if they truly exist. Just saying because that would eliminate the doubt. especially since your first fact is so far off the mark.
    Edited by idk on March 29, 2020 8:09PM
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    Lowbei wrote: »
    Incorrect. Not only is how many people using the thing that you are referencing extremely valid, but ZOS made the correct move in shifting certain things serverside to prevent it in the future. When this happened, it of course caused yet another exodus from pvp, which resulted in even further resources being shifted, which happened behind the scenes, thus people attributed it to the anti-cheat measures.

    I know about how many people used it because I know a lot of them, and its use was discussed as a group before it started being used en masse. For the record, I was very against it.

    Interesting theories but not much more.
    Why would there be a mass Exodus after cheat engine got removed when there was only less than 20 People using it and Performance only degraded after the mass Exodus?

    A better question would be, why wouldnt there be a mass exodus from Cyrodiil when the remaining players are faced with the knowledge that cheat engine is being used? The average player had no idea how many people were using it. They saw videos of meteor spam and said "eww, im done with Cyrodiil."

    Thus, the average population in Cyrodiil dropped even further, resulting in yet another (and logical) resource shift, because servers and resources cost a lot of money.
    Options
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »

    A better question would be, why wouldnt there be a mass exodus from Cyrodiil when the remaining players are faced with the knowledge that cheat engine is being used? The average player had no idea how many people were using it. They saw videos of meteor spam and said "eww, im done with Cyrodiil."

    Thus, the average population in Cyrodiil dropped even further, resulting in yet another (and logical) resource shift, because servers and resources cost a lot of money.

    But why would they leave with the update that got rid of it? Thats the Question I was asking.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Lowbei wrote: »
    Discussing sources on the subject would get the thread shut down immediately, and thus not an option. I am not going to name any names, as I know the rules of this forum well.

    Those who were around back then and know the details, know that the OP is correct. Furthermore, the end result of the OP is that server resources need to be shifted back to Cyrodiil.

    If you disagree, then no worries, that is your decision. Enjoy Cyrodiil as it is now.

    Of course. Like any opinion piece, we can choose to agree or disagree. If it was factual that would be different but that is not the case here. If it where you would be able to back up at least parts of this, yet you have not.

    Cheers

    You could post this in the Reddit ESO forum with those sources if they truly exist. Just saying because that would eliminate the doubt. especially since your first fact is so far off the mark.

    Having read what you claim is incorrect, it is simply your misunderstanding of the OP. I never mentioned any names of who came from DAoC, or at what point in the development process they came. My statement was factual. No worries if you disagree, you arent alone there, but if you note the reactions to the OP, you will see that the majority agree, not that it matters.

    And no, I am not going to name people anywhere, as it would be seen as bashing, which is not my intent no matter where its posted.
    Edited by Lowbei on March 29, 2020 8:20PM
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    Lowbei wrote: »

    A better question would be, why wouldnt there be a mass exodus from Cyrodiil when the remaining players are faced with the knowledge that cheat engine is being used? The average player had no idea how many people were using it. They saw videos of meteor spam and said "eww, im done with Cyrodiil."

    Thus, the average population in Cyrodiil dropped even further, resulting in yet another (and logical) resource shift, because servers and resources cost a lot of money.

    But why would they leave with the update that got rid of it? Thats the Question I was asking.

    They didnt. They left before, as it took weeks/months to implement the massive changes required to fix it. During this time period, of course a lot of people left Cyrodiil rather than deal with cheat engine. The people who make decisions on server resource management unfortunately do so quarterly based on numbers alone, regardless of other factors, and thus, yet another unfortunate drop in Cyrodiil performance.
    Edited by Lowbei on March 29, 2020 8:25PM
    Options
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you OP for bringing this subject to the center of attention again.
    But I'm afraid that this post has very little chance in changing anything since ZOS are well aware of the issues...since ages ago...
    Thousands of people have brought the issues to their attention, from bug reports, videos to forum discussions etc.

    I understand that ZOS are working on improving the performance but it may take some time(maybe a long time) until any of us will notice any improvement.
    I recently returned from 10 months break and I notice that the Cyrodiil/Battlegrounds + overall Combat performance is much worse(even in PVE lands/content the performance is worse).
    For now, it may be best to remain patient and accept the game for what it is... "almost unplayable but in the To Do list for a better version" .
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Universe wrote: »
    Thank you OP for bringing this subject to the center of attention again.
    But I'm afraid that this post has very little chance in changing anything since ZOS are well aware of the issues...since ages ago...
    Thousands of people have brought the issues to their attention, from bug reports, videos to forum discussions etc.

    I understand that ZOS are working on improving the performance but it may take some time(maybe a long time) until any of us will notice any improvement.
    I recently returned from 10 months break and I notice that the Cyrodiil/Battlegrounds + overall Combat performance is much worse(even in PVE lands/content the performance is worse).
    For now, it may be best to remain patient and accept the game for what it is... "almost unplayable but in the To Do list for a better version" .

    Agreed. It is unfortunate that the server issues are bleeding over into even pve content. It shows a resource allocation change that appears bad for the longevity of the game we enjoy.
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a side note, the ridiculous anger at the programmers is misplaced.

    They are very good at their job. This has nothing to do with "spaghetti code." The issues we have today are due to design decisions and resource management. Rest assured that the programmers are both very skilled, and highly motivated individuals working to keep you entertained.
    Options
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bravo
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    Lowbei wrote: »
    Discussing sources on the subject would get the thread shut down immediately, and thus not an option. I am not going to name any names, as I know the rules of this forum well.

    Those who were around back then and know the details, know that the OP is correct. Furthermore, the end result of the OP is that server resources need to be shifted back to Cyrodiil.

    If you disagree, then no worries, that is your decision. Enjoy Cyrodiil as it is now.

    Of course. Like any opinion piece, we can choose to agree or disagree. If it was factual that would be different but that is not the case here. If it where you would be able to back up at least parts of this, yet you have not.

    Cheers

    You could post this in the Reddit ESO forum with those sources if they truly exist. Just saying because that would eliminate the doubt. especially since your first fact is so far off the mark.

    And no, I am not going to name people anywhere, as it would be seen as bashing, which is not my intent no matter where its posted.

    First, it was concerned the thread would be closed down. When an alternative ESO forum was provided as a place to list sources for the information it is suggesting it would be bashing to name souces. It is not at all bashing to say XYZ informed me that they made this decision in their meeting on this subject.

    So again, this "true" account is nothing more than your opinion in an attempt to make it appear factual. Unless you can back up your big claims that are all this is. Not interested in discussing fiction so unless you can back up these big claims, arrivederci.
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Lowbei wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    Lowbei wrote: »
    Discussing sources on the subject would get the thread shut down immediately, and thus not an option. I am not going to name any names, as I know the rules of this forum well.

    Those who were around back then and know the details, know that the OP is correct. Furthermore, the end result of the OP is that server resources need to be shifted back to Cyrodiil.

    If you disagree, then no worries, that is your decision. Enjoy Cyrodiil as it is now.

    Of course. Like any opinion piece, we can choose to agree or disagree. If it was factual that would be different but that is not the case here. If it where you would be able to back up at least parts of this, yet you have not.

    Cheers

    You could post this in the Reddit ESO forum with those sources if they truly exist. Just saying because that would eliminate the doubt. especially since your first fact is so far off the mark.

    And no, I am not going to name people anywhere, as it would be seen as bashing, which is not my intent no matter where its posted.

    First, it was concerned the thread would be closed down. When an alternative ESO forum was provided as a place to list sources for the information it is suggesting it would be bashing to name souces. It is not at all bashing to say XYZ informed me that they made this decision in their meeting on this subject.

    So again, this "true" account is nothing more than your opinion in an attempt to make it appear factual. Unless you can back up your big claims that are all this is. Not interested in discussing fiction so unless you can back up these big claims, arrivederci.

    Stating anywhere names of who made any decision that turned out badly, would be bashing, no matter where it was posted, and you are not entitled to my sources.

    No worries, you are entitled to your opinion. Have a nice day :smiley:
    Edited by Lowbei on March 29, 2020 8:50PM
    Options
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine not spreading on inc.

    Dude DAoC wasn’t a super fast game but everything in it had a huge impact. CC was outright punitive though. But gosh, the 8v8 from that was fun. Too many eso players don’t pan and don’t spread on inc
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

    Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp


    Options
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ItsMeToo wrote: »
    The OP forgot about a lot of those so called skilled people used CE.

    I was going to say, when the "zergling trash" accused these very skilled 1v70 players cheats, in a lot of cases, they were right. A convenient omission from the "history lesson".
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good read.
    Options
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    No h8 m8 but damn, for a such long post about skill you post a video with a 2h mag dk i believe who doesnt even need to barswap, crit rushes talons and flag wipes the whole ad team. What? That was the pinacle of skill back then? By todays standarts it looks like AD were playing with their feet and you had the advantage of using your hands. Looks like performance was good then because thats all the server had to handle back then. 40 AD running without even light attacking and you and your godsquad blowing them up with 3 spells.
    Options
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonor wrote: »
    No h8 m8 but damn, for a such long post about skill you post a video with a 2h mag dk i believe who doesnt even need to barswap, crit rushes talons and flag wipes the whole ad team. What? That was the pinacle of skill back then? By todays standarts it looks like AD were playing with their feet and you had the advantage of using your hands. Looks like performance was good then because thats all the server had to handle back then. 40 AD running without even light attacking and you and your godsquad blowing them up with 3 spells.

    That wasnt me, that was my guildie Xsorus, tho I am in group, and he is exceptional at what he does in any game. Obviously, both skill bars and use of abilities will have changed in 6 years to make them look strange and foreign by todays standards. The video contains numerous zerg bombs, at everything from openfield, to bridges, to objectives.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    Lowbei wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    Lowbei wrote: »
    Discussing sources on the subject would get the thread shut down immediately, and thus not an option. I am not going to name any names, as I know the rules of this forum well.

    Those who were around back then and know the details, know that the OP is correct. Furthermore, the end result of the OP is that server resources need to be shifted back to Cyrodiil.

    If you disagree, then no worries, that is your decision. Enjoy Cyrodiil as it is now.

    Of course. Like any opinion piece, we can choose to agree or disagree. If it was factual that would be different but that is not the case here. If it where you would be able to back up at least parts of this, yet you have not.

    Cheers

    You could post this in the Reddit ESO forum with those sources if they truly exist. Just saying because that would eliminate the doubt. especially since your first fact is so far off the mark.

    And no, I am not going to name people anywhere, as it would be seen as bashing, which is not my intent no matter where its posted.

    First, it was concerned the thread would be closed down. When an alternative ESO forum was provided as a place to list sources for the information it is suggesting it would be bashing to name souces. It is not at all bashing to say XYZ informed me that they made this decision in their meeting on this subject.

    So again, this "true" account is nothing more than your opinion in an attempt to make it appear factual. Unless you can back up your big claims that are all this is. Not interested in discussing fiction so unless you can back up these big claims, arrivederci.

    Stating anywhere names of who made any decision that turned out badly, would be bashing, no matter where it was posted, and you are not entitled to my sources.

    No worries, you are entitled to your opinion. Have a nice day :smiley:

    I never asked you to name who made the actual decisions you "claim" where made. That is irrelevant as the buck stops with Matt. I merely asked you to name the alleged sources of your information.

    I can post some pretty wild stories some "true" issues from behind the scenes at Zos. Oddly, many of them contradict themselves and your account even though they are suggesting they have actual knowledge of the happenings just as you state. Yet all the stories are questionable without something to point out they got this information from a credible source.

    So yes, we are both entitled to our opinions. The fact remains until you can back up your grand claims that "true" history is nothing but an opinion piece. So dispute that with real information, and we will have something to talk discuss.
    Options
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All I read is "we the 'skilled players' were killing zergnoobs. Zergnoobs complained and we the 'skilled players' left the game.
    Since we the 'skilled players' left the game, Cyro was empty and ZOS stopped supporting PVP (facts ye? facts) and now we lag.

    And then I see some ppl that I wont describe as I would like, in an attempt to affiliate with the "skilled players", liking this topic, which is titled ".......... Cyrodiils server problems.........." in which the only reference to performance within this self pat on the back of a "skilled player" is that ZOS pulled resources from PvP.

    In no other game have I seen 1vX and your so called 4 vs 40.
    Do you know why that is? It is not due to your imaginary skill.

    It's because Cyrodiil is a battleground in which all sorts of people say "I will pvp now!" and queue. Any level any build with no idea that they are about to face builds that turtle and burst.
    These so called skilled players defeat people who though "oh! I can play as I want with my bow wielding tank nightblade. "Dont forget ZOS said massive pool of abilities to play as you want.

    Do you want to see skilled combat? Go play an open world mmorpg. You will see some guys alone kill 2-3 enemies and they all know how to pvp thanks to:
    1)Time spend leveling up against challenging overland
    2)The constant possibility that another player might attack you
    3)Real mastery of a real class, and not fotm meta gear and rotation
    4)Real guilds fightin meaningful sieges to gain control of a castle/town against other real guilds and their alliances.
    5)Open world raid bosses who are contested by rival players. Pvp and PvE at the same time (challenging stuff, not the senches and the goblins you come across in cyrodiil)
    6)again real mastery of a class. Not a pre determined turtle rotation followed by a pte determinted burst rotation that works against all enemies:
    Healer
    Tank
    Warrior
    Archer
    Summoner
    Assassin
    Mage
    Bard


    As for the technical issues of Cyrodiil I dont have any response because all you said was: us skilled PvP players left the game and Zos pulled away the resources. What??
    *** it Ill give you an answer.
    Eso was based on open client end calculations to allow usage of addons because they didnt do a good enough job in having essential Gameplay Settings and UI customization + features like Dressroom.
    And then they also taxed their system with anti cheats.

    And then content after content after content every 3 months to sell a story questline to all those single player people has created problems in the code.





    But please... dont come out and say "let me tell you why cyrodiil lags..... It all started when me and 3 other skilled players killed 40 noobs that didnt build for 1 button spam function on the crown....."

    Wow this is cringey, but fantastic reading skills though.
    Options
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    The massive loss of the pvp crowd, resulted in a removal of resources from the cyrodiil servers
    I still want to see any evidence that this was actually what happened.
    Not "well, performance got worse, so that is what must've happened" or stuff like that.
    Any tangible proof of a) Cyrodiil resources being reduced, and b) for the reasons you stated.
    You don't have to name names - you can call the ZOS employees that are your source for the statement Joe, Jill, and Johnny, if you want.
    Edited by Varana on March 29, 2020 10:28PM
    Options
  • Kungfu
    Kungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    All due respect to your history of eso but I believe you're getting much negative feedback because you do kind of have a visible bias in it.
    That said, a lot of the events listed definitely happened. I just cannot agree with this consensus that it's ONLY a matter of server resources. In IT, server resources are CHEAP when compared to developer paychecks. Had it been resources alone... ever, it wouldn't take but $2k - $10k to incrementally increase them.

    However, I think you're missing two major points that *I believe* are the major contributors:
    First and foremost is what others are trying to address as well: their attempts at anti-cheat.
    Combine that with... routing traces through Akamai servers and you get what I believe (no real proof here) was a migration from on-prem to a cloud solution with "advanced security".

    Current character desync issues at least anecdotally support this: cloud solutions and security checks en masse create delays in communication speed and high potential for packetloss. Either of which could easily cause location desync between client-server.

    If they were stuck in a contract, it would explain why they cannot speak about these issues nor can they fix them. That's almost all theory but please know I've got the industry experience and have seen exactly the effects in other industries after a cloud migration.

    There's the other, albeit more likely possibility that it's an issue with code that runs so deep through the game that a complete rewrite of major systems would be required in order to fix. And they probably no longer employ the genius(es) that wrote the original, nor do any of the current staff have the skill, education, or experience to take on that project.

    Edit for autocorrect and one more note for the fellow code monkeys out there: industry I've encountered these effects in SCADA environments. Not exactly gaming but sheer levels of data transmission makes it easily comparable.
    Edited by Kungfu on March 30, 2020 1:28AM
    Options
This discussion has been closed.