Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Please add some realistic weapon models.

• MattVH
    MattVH
    ✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »
    I'm at a loss. Made up races, made up universe, made up lands, made up creatures... And we want realistic weapon models? Realistic, in terms of what?
    All weapons and armors in the game are serving their purpose. Design decisions are completely on the designers.
    If you want a design close to the real world counterparts of the items, there are many motifs in the game. I'm sure you find something close to your liking.

Realistic as in believable. Something that would actually make sense and do damage to someone else instead of your own joints. Yes, it might seem silly to some in a fantasy setting but to others it makes as much sense as having gravity still apply in this game when there's no magic involved in a situation. Just like TES Oblivion had normal looking swords, some of us would like those designs in the game. I guess others can still use the giant lantern posts for maces, surely we can ask for the opposite?:)
    Edited by MattVH on February 24, 2020 9:26AM
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care about that. I like the sort of Gladius like Order of the Hour sword, and there are plenty of other down-to-earth weapon models too, so I don't see the problem really.

BUT, and please hear me now - I want weapons/shields as FURNISHING PLANS! What's the deal with no weapons AT ALL, in a game like this? I mean? What? We have like Blade of Woe, Volendrung and a few kitchen knives/hatchets? Why? I mean, by all means - add them as golden crafting plans in the Master Writ vendor, solely at Zanil Theran or whatever, but no weapons? In a game that's so combat oriented? It's so stupid I can't believe it... They are all over loading screens for various homes, but not in the actual game? You just forgot to add them?
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MattVH wrote: »
    I'm at a loss. Made up races, made up universe, made up lands, made up creatures... And we want realistic weapon models? Realistic, in terms of what?
    All weapons and armors in the game are serving their purpose. Design decisions are completely on the designers.
    If you want a design close to the real world counterparts of the items, there are many motifs in the game. I'm sure you find something close to your liking.

Realistic as in believable. Something that would actually make sense and do damage to someone else instead of your own joints. Yes, it might seem silly to some in a fantasy setting but to others it makes as much sense as having gravity still apply in this game when there's no magic involved in a situation. Just like TES Oblivion had normal looking swords, some of us would like those designs in the game. I guess others can still use the giant lantern posts for maces, surely we can ask for the opposite?:)

Players have different style choices. Nobody is forcing the players to use a lantern post for mace. Many motifs out there are resemblances of what a realistic weapon/armor would be. Order of the Hour style, for example. Looks very realistic to me. Or Ebony style. There are fantasy motifs and there are realistic motifs. What you'd like to use, completely depends on your choice.
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, please. I loathe the giant final fantasy weapons. Nobody can swing a sword effectively that's that big and it looks stupid as hell.
  • MattVH
    MattVH
    ✭✭✭
    MattVH wrote: »

Players have different style choices. Nobody is forcing the players to use a lantern post for mace. Many motifs out there are resemblances of what a realistic weapon/armor would be. Order of the Hour style, for example. Looks very realistic to me. Or Ebony style. There are fantasy motifs and there are realistic motifs. What you'd like to use, completely depends on your choice.

I never stated otherwise. I was answering your question as to why we feel the need to ask for those 'realistic' weapons. I personally still feel like the majority of the weapons are ridiculous and that's why I'm worried about the art direction. I'm probably too much into a certain style and thus nitpicky.

Tbf, it's mostly the size of the weapons. Order hour and ebony looks great indeed. The armor does, it's the size of the weapons that is actually my biggest problem with ESO. Two Handers mostly

No, of course nobody is forcing anyone and of course it's clear we all have different tastes. I think I just need to shut up when I see the 'realism/fantasy' discussions, they always get me going lol
    Edited by MattVH on February 24, 2020 11:11AM
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FACT: You do not know how heavy the materials that were used to make these weapons are, tell me how heavy is Ebony or Moonstone or whatever half of these FANTASY materials are called are? what is that you cannot give me an answer? exactly..

FACT: Just because your too weak to wield it does not mean a Vampire with a strength of a dozen men cannot.
    Why tho? These weapons are realistic to the fake universe created. This isn't real life, and it's not even based on Earth history. The game is fun because it's not real life.

I wouldn't use realistic, but functional. A character in the game is still a human, super super strength or not, but we are not shown that melee weapons follow different inertia laws or that hammers big as boulders float. All I am saying, since this game is not a cartoon, seeing weapons that are not absurd would be nice. But if you want to use a super oversized weapon, that is fine. The OP wasn't asking to remove those and take away your notion of fun, but was asking for a sword inspired from 15th century Europe.

I have also played WoW alot. That game has a much more cartoonish graphics style, which makes having oversized weapons and shoulder pads something cool. I remember having one legendary sword (Thunderfury), which was ridiculously large. But because the game was more cartoonish it was fine, I had a lot of fun with that. But ESO has a different graphics style.

Here is a (fun) video showing some fantasy weapons in real life:

https://youtu.be/X5Lzj3jsxoo

"Just because your too weak to wield it does not mean a Vampire with a strength of a dozen men cannot"

Well, as you can see from this video, if he had more strength (8:23) he would have given more inertia to that hammer and smashed his feet with it.

Lightsabers in Star Wars are fictional, but they are believable, even though we don't know or care how the technology works. We see they are hot light blades which can cut through mostly anything except other lightsabers. The T1000 from Terminator 2 is fictional but still convincing, Spiderman's powers are fictional yet convincing within the created universe, and so on. These things are not realistic, but functional and consistent with the presented universe.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Karmen
    Karmen
    ✭✭✭
    I would like more katanas styles

hanwei-katana-raptor-shinogi-zukuri-4.jpg
    Katana8.jpgCEDE5F84-A890-42F9-A635-9450EE9E9441Zoom.jpg

Edited by Karmen on February 24, 2020 12:08PM
    I am Carmen.
    For Bosmers, war is only a sport
  • MattVH
    MattVH
    ✭✭✭
    Now i wish i used the word functional instead of realistic all this time. Good point, that does indeed better explain what a lot of us meant. Also helps with moving away from the 'realism in fantasy' debate lol! thanks
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't really want more realistic weapons, personally.

I think most of them are already pretty realistic - sometimes too realistic.

I don't necessarily want giant weapons, with effects spewing off them.

In fact, I generally don't want that, at all, but I do want more whimsical (for want of a better word) ones.

My favourites are Pyandonean (especially the bow), because they are pretty, have an animal motif wrapped around them, but are not totally OTT.

Most of the staves in the game are very lacklustre, visually speaking, in my opinion.

I would appreciate something a bit more like this:

pAdOKBw.jpg

x04P9TJ.jpg
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 24, 2020 12:54PM
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do some people look legitimately bothered by this request? He is not complaining about the fantasy looking weapons or requesting ZOS to turn this game into KCD and stop making fantasy weapons, he only asked for a few realistic weapon models.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on February 24, 2020 12:42PM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    Why do some people look legitimately bothered by this request? He is not complaining about the fantasy looking weapons or requesting ZOS to turn this game into KCD and stop making fantasy weapons, he only asked for a few realistic weapon models.

Maybe because a lot of the weapons (unlike most of the shoulder pads, floating hip things and flaps!) are already pretty realistic?

If I go through the motifs, a good 80%+ look realistic, to me.

Maybe not realistic in the exact way the OP wants, but pretty realistic (read plain!), in general.

So, asking for more, is like going into McDonald's and asking for even more burgers, while the people who want something that McDonald's don't currently make, continue to go hungry.

I don't object to the request, personally, but I do get why some people, who have waited ages for something they want, might.
  • Drakoleon
    Drakoleon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always wanted a realistic......magic staff
  • MattVH
    MattVH
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Maybe because a lot of the weapons (unlike most of the shoulder pads, floating hip things and flaps!) are already pretty realistic?

If I go through the motifs, a good 80%+ look realistic, to me.

Maybe not realistic in the exact way the OP wants, but pretty realistic (read plain!), in general.

So, asking for more, is like going into McDonald's and asking for even more burgers, while the people who want something that McDonald's don't currently make, continue to go hungry.

I don't object to the request, personally, but I do get why some people, who have waited ages for something they want, might.

I'm sure those hungry people you describe are actually quite fine:

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/09/Stags-of-Zen-Iron-Maul-1.jpg
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/09/Stags-of-Zen-Iron-Greatsword-2.jpg
    Drakoleon wrote: »

You know very well we are mostly talking about the weapons that do physical damage
    Edited by MattVH on February 24, 2020 1:39PM
  • MattVH
    MattVH
    ✭✭✭

Threads that were meant as feedback towards ZOS often ends up in debate over why said feedback shouldn't exist (between players), and then ZOS can only pop in to remind people to behave and not be racist (in this thread's case, wtf?). No way they can take away much useful info from the thread. There's the forums for you. Sometimes it's a healthy discussion though, but it's getting hard to believe that when people ask for systems or features that don't hamper any other systems or content at all. -_-
    Edited by MattVH on February 24, 2020 1:36PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also a fan of more realistic style graphics/gameplay and render models.

That is what kept my playing ESO I suppose, VS other similar games.

- No blue hair
    - No kawai graphics
    - No shoulder pads that are bigger than my face or the moon

Agreed for more realistic weapons :)
  • Wrecking_Gorilla
    Wrecking_Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    I want unrealistic, unique, and fantasy based weaponry. It doesn’t have to be overly exaggerated but we can’t even get a proper daedric sword...🤦‍♂️
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do realise this game takes place in a fantasy themed world,right?
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP was asking for a sword model, not staff, and he complained about how exagerrated some melee weapon designs are.

But on a sidenote, the staff is also based on reality, it is not a fantasy invention. Especially in ancient times a staff was a symbol of authority and power, usually worn by high priests, clergy or officials. Even today, the pope uses a staff during important events.OFC these staves do not have any magic powers, but in ancient times, people believed it did. This is how staves got associated with wise men, like healers, druids, prophets, etc and from that, in fantasy with wizards.
    Itzmichi wrote: »
    You do realise this game takes place in a fantasy themed world,right?

Yes, and this world is set in the Elder Scrolls universe. If you are a fan, then you know that in all the previous games, weapons had very good designs, resembling real functional weapons, such as katanas, longswords and sabers. Only with Skyrim some weapons became larger in shape, but this was resolved easily with mods, but most vanilla weapons were fine. In ESO some weapon models are quite exagerrated. If you want to use those it's fine, but some people wish for those classic weapons. Tge devs are adding outfit pages often, so why not?
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    "Just because your too weak to wield it does not mean a Vampire with a strength of a dozen men cannot"
    Yeah, some people always say that... I usually point them towards Shad...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t8ZrI5JqCw
    ;)
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    Not sure why the obsession with realism in games.

Sure more options are better, but thus far its the non realistic ones which have been neglected.
    Not? I am still looking for a sleek 2h sword, so if you have one to spare... ;)

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭

Try the Prophet model, it looks like a common quarterstaff.
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    Karmen wrote: »
    I would like more katanas styles

hanwei-katana-raptor-shinogi-zukuri-4.jpg
    Katana8.jpgCEDE5F84-A890-42F9-A635-9450EE9E9441Zoom.jpg

You will love the soul shriven models, I use them on my khajiit and they look awesome. The second best thing is Yokudan (resembling dao) and Thieves guild (tachi or korean sword) models.
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    Just looks like a Two handed version of the Egyptian Khopesh (which the 1Handed version of Pellitine is designed after)
    Tell-Aphek-3%20%E2%80%93%20Kopi.jpg

Kopesh is an one handed weapon. I have no idea about the fighting style (nd a very limited knowledge about ancient Egypt realities), but judging from the shape which is similar to kukri, I dare to guess it was a nose heavy weapon what allows for brutal hacking at close quarters and is probably better used with a shield.
    The kukri I had was a H.I. WW2 kukri made by Bura and it was a rather thick piece of metal with an convex edge and it was feeling very much like a hatchet. I was just not able to wrap my mind around it so I later sold it. Nothing wrong with that weapon, it was just feeling way too alien.
    I cannot imagine anything like kopesh working in a two handed variant. To make such a blade it should be very thick to prevent flappines and tendency to bend or break.
    But note that I do NOT ask for replacement of this model. As stated many times over and over, I just asked for one more model which would be a realistic long sword. I am fine with others wearing any model they like.
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the Knight of the Circle armor set is based on this armor form the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection.
    knight-of-the-circle-style-male-eso-wiki-guide.jpg

main-image
    Edited by ArcVelarian on February 24, 2020 7:39PM
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a (fun) video showing some fantasy weapons in real life:

https://youtu.be/X5Lzj3jsxoo

I LOVE that guy he is a total madman. :D And his maniacal laughter!
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the Knight of the Circle armor set is based on this armor form the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection.

main-image

The level of craftsmanship on that armor in the museum is insane! Those armorsmiths lacked the tools we have today but compensated with talent and ingeniousity! However those craftsmen did not know how to make floating hip flaps :smiley:
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭

main-image

The level of craftsmanship on that armor in the museum is insane! Those armorsmiths lacked the tools we have today but compensated with talent and ingeniousity! However those craftsmen did not know how to make floating hip flaps :smiley:

These high renaissance pieces were just amazing. I am certainly going to farm this model and use it on all of my heavy toons asap.
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you did that sword mod? That's awesome, you did fantastic work on that, I loved that mod as soon as I saw it all those years ago

Thanks a lot! Oh and by the way did you try my Musashito. :) It was a real op deathclaw killer.
    Edited by Vyvrhel on February 24, 2020 8:49PM
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    At least nobody minds that bows ALL have a Native American style of quiver rather than any European one.:)

(Robin Hood movies notwithstanding, Europeans rarely carried quivers on their backs.)

Well bow are a tale of it's own, but there is a good model I like and use and that is the bosmer model nr. 1. It is as close to a real horsebow as it goes in this game. A proper longbow would be nice, but I know that the bending animation of straigh limbs looks usualy bad in games.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the armor or weapons in ESO is that bad compared to some of the crazy weapons or chainmail bikinis in other games.

But I did think this question right after this pic was posted was funny:
    xrWJtNN.png

I would like to see more traditional weapons covered better however. ESO does pretty well going fantasy style without going crazy, but I've always been a bit surprised by the lack of traditional offerings.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC