Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What are your feelings on Animation Canceling and LA Weaving

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts?

I'm bad at it; but because I don't do any high-end and/or competitive content, it doesn't matter. /shrug
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like it better if the devs actually knew how to balance the skills and larger combat system around it. As it stands, I'm constantly sitting around shaking my head and thinking, "This is a lot of button-mashing to feel like I'm doing zero damage."
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with it.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    For PvE dps
    It gives me something to continue to learn and hone. If/when I perfect it I think DPS will start to become boring for me. Also really like that it gives lower CP/geared players an avenue into difficult content instead of just grinding.

PvP: similar idea but with lag I wouldn’t miss it
    Edited by thadjarvis on February 13, 2020 5:20AM
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »
    I know we have had polls about Animation Canceling in the past. But I wanted to see where people's opinions stand based on the platform they play on.

Feel free to answer the poll, and also discuss what you like, or do not like about these things. Please state your platform when discussing the topic.

Animation cancelling is pretty stupid and regardless of what people think they're working to remove it anyways.

Animations are there for a reason.

As they mentioned, cancelling animations causes a de-sync to occur and is over-all pretty bad.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like weaving as a mechanic very much, its a skill that everyone can develop regardless of CP, gear, age etc.

I dont really use block cancelling but I understand thats important to prioritize block over the animation of skills so I dont have a problem with it.

Barswap cancel helps to speed up combat and is easy to learn so its also fine imo.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • youninjabro
    youninjabro
    ✭✭
    I personally like it, makes combat feel way more fluid and dynamic in my opinion.

Without it I think it’d be way more boring, just sitting there spamming skills and whatnot I’m all for it.
    VR 14 Templar Daggerfall NA
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate.
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. It makes the combat flow in a unique way.
    Only problem is the gap between people who do it and people who dont.
    You can literally do like 500% more damage just be Weaving and Canceling.
    Thats one of the main reasons why the difficulty in ESO is all over the place. Things are either ridiculously easy (Overland Content, Normal Dungeons, nMA) or impossibly hard (DLC-Vetdungeons). I understand why. There is no way to design challenging content when you have to factor in 500% DPS-Differences.
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've played other games where they try to do what ESO has made and fell severely short on the mechanics of both player abilities and combat mechanics. Here's hoping they do more with it!
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't care nor do I have problem weaving but relating animation cancelling to "skill" feels very dumb
    You don't associate bugs with skill
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like it a load more if ZOS introduced some in game tutorials and practice features which allowed you to understand and fine tune your AC abilities.

As it is, I have to rely on external tutorials and combat metrics to allow me to see whether I am going LA skill, LA skill. And even then it doesn’t tell me if I am getting any benefit from the LA animation cancelling.

• Na0cho
    Na0cho
    ✭✭✭
    I like how it makes the game feel more responsive and faster but I get that some people cannot do it so honestly the animations themselves should just be changed imo so NO ONE has to sit through a long animation without having to cancel it.
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no ability to do whatever this is. Mebbe by accident sometimes? /shrug

I press buttons. Things die. Am happy.

Seems like a big hullabaloo over nothing.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather weaving not have such a significance in terms of damage but as a skill gap it is a nice progression (if only the servers were performant enough to make it viable for everyone)
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to add that AC is only bad if it's used for raw damage increase, not if it's used for defense. So LA weaving is bad, bash weaving too, but less so, because it's only very situationally usable and comes with a drawback. Block or dodge cancelling isn't.

I'm torn when it comes to bar swap, because it does increase DPS, but it is also used defensively when one has 1hs backbar or a shield skill. It would however be much more intuitive and immersive if a weapon swap was a tactical decision, and not a part of a rotation. When fighting someone irl, you wouldn't constantly swap weapons to do damage, you would do so if the situation changed (the enemy moved away, or you suddenly have to defend against a group of enemies), would be nice if that approach was reflected in game. I don't know how to do it though, and it would require a lot of fundamental changes to combat, so idk if it's good for the game or better be left to an ESO2.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stebarnz wrote: »
    forztr2 wrote: »
    I hate weaving because:-

having to mindless click the left mouse button every second during combat just aggravates the RSI in my right shoulder.

the server connections are too inconsistent and screw up the timings which are different for different skills.

I'd much rather they had a shorter internal cooldown for skills to maintain the "pace" of combat and ditched weaving. I'd also like the option to have skills fire on key-press instead of key-release.

Get an auto clicking mouse to left click once a second for you on a toggle?

I mean if I got injured by pressing a mouse button I would look at a lifestyle change.

Sounds like you're advocating for usage of macros, proving anti-AC people's point. LA weaving with AC is absolute garbage, and macros are the only way to make the game enjoyable as long as that's the way it works.
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    forztr2 wrote: »
    I hate weaving because:-

having to mindless click the left mouse button every second during combat just aggravates the RSI in my right shoulder.

the server connections are too inconsistent and screw up the timings which are different for different skills.

I'd much rather they had a shorter internal cooldown for skills to maintain the "pace" of combat and ditched weaving. I'd also like the option to have skills fire on key-press instead of key-release.

Get an auto clicking mouse to left click once a second for you on a toggle?

I mean if I got injured by pressing a mouse button I would look at a lifestyle change.

Sounds like you're advocating for usage of macros, proving anti-AC people's point. LA weaving with AC is absolute garbage, and macros are the only way to make the game enjoyable as long as that's the way it works.

Merely offering a way to ease this persons suffering, I wouldn't mind if someone for medical reasons ran a auto clicking mouse as it wouldn't change anything, you are the one with the problem!

If you cant play this game then don't, but don't try to bring other people down to your low skill level by advocating slowing things down to a crawl.

• Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to add that AC is only bad if it's used for raw damage increase, not if it's used for defense. So LA weaving is bad, bash weaving too, but less so, because it's only very situationally usable and comes with a drawback. Block or dodge cancelling isn't.

I'm torn when it comes to bar swap, because it does increase DPS, but it is also used defensively when one has 1hs backbar or a shield skill. It would however be much more intuitive and immersive if a weapon swap was a tactical decision, and not a part of a rotation. When fighting someone irl, you wouldn't constantly swap weapons to do damage, you would do so if the situation changed (the enemy moved away, or you suddenly have to defend against a group of enemies), would be nice if that approach was reflected in game. I don't know how to do it though, and it would require a lot of fundamental changes to combat, so idk if it's good for the game or better be left to an ESO2.

Given how popular LA weaving and A/C is with ESO then they will definitely have it in ESO2 so better buck up buttercup.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I've learned anything about ZOS and ESO it's to suck it up and adapt. No one who gives a poo is actually listening.
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Given how popular LA weaving and A/C is with ESO then they will definitely have it in ESO2 so better buck up buttercup.

Popular?
    This poll shows that 41% of PC players (122 vs 85) and 44% of console players (34 vs 22) don't like it actually.
    Also, 13% of the people who have participated in the poll don't care if there's AC or not.
    Yeah, it's still a majority but it's actually pretty close to 50/50.
    Edited by Ermiq on February 13, 2020 8:36PM
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ermiq wrote: »

Popular?
    This poll shows that 41% of PC players and 44% of console players don't like it actually.
    Also, 13% of the people who have participated in the poll don't care if there's AC or not.

And the poll is of a small subset of all players. You can only say that more forum goers like a/c than don't.

Just ask my parents, they grew up before a/c. They hated it. They never want it to go away actually.😉
    Edited by Siohwenoeht on February 13, 2020 8:38PM
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not really popular though. What you're seeing on the forums is the result of selection bias. You don't see people who quit the game because of it, and I guarantee you, they are not an insignificant portion of the players who did not stick around.

Also, nobody stayed because of it, a lot of people merely got used to it and are unwilling to change, hence you get the impression of it being "popular".
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ermiq wrote: »

Popular?
    This poll shows that 41% of PC players and 44% of console players don't like it actually.

And the poll is of a small subset of all players. You can only say that more forum goers like a/c than don't.

Just ask my parents, they grew up before a/c. They hated it. They never want it to go away actually.😉

Certainly, forum citizens are not those who represent the community. Yep.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't care but if animation cancelling is causing a rift in the community than it needs to be looked into to see what fixes can be applied to improve the game play.

Not all players are equal in skill when it comes to optimized timing of animation cancelling to maximize damage.

Easy way to fix this issue is the damage of abilities are applied after the animation has completed; cancelling the animation prior to it finishing results in zero damage. When I have seen this added to the game top damage dealer that are use to using animation canceling become the trash damage dealers and player who allow the animation to flow move to the top of the damage dealing ranking; over time both groups get closer to overall damage.

Some games simply force the animation and lock the player from doing anything else until that animation is completed, basically all abilities become channeling abilities. This doesn't solve the problem as there are time when you may want to cancel your animation.

My recommendation is going through all abilities adjust some to become channeling, some of them add a casting time, and the last group simply make them instant and reduce the animation for the ability by 50-75%. These minor tweaks would improve the overall experience for all players. This way animation cancelling and light attack weaving would still be in the game but the abilities offering it would be less than there are now, this would help get the players who may presently struggle with maximizing their damage from animation cancelling; this would shrink the gap between top players and average players.

As a side note, top players would still be able to do more damage because animation cancelling would still exist just not to the level it does today.
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not really popular though. What you're seeing on the forums is the result of selection bias. You don't see people who quit the game because of it, and I guarantee you, they are not an insignificant portion of the players who did not stick around.

Also, nobody stayed because of it, a lot of people merely got used to it and are unwilling to change, hence you get the impression of it being "popular".

Think what you want and say what you want, I have proof, you don't!

A/C is more popular than not, end of chat.

Hearing this BS a lot lately, majority votes one way but yet the minority coming up with random ass crap to poo poo the figures because they cant take being told they are wrong. If it was a vote A/C stays, if they change it, it wont matter this game hasn't got a long life left either way.

Main reason and lets face it there is only 1 why they wont change it $$$$$$$ its not profitable to do so.
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't care but if animation cancelling is causing a rift in the community than it needs to be looked into to see what fixes can be applied to improve the game play.

Not all players are equal in skill when it comes to optimized timing of animation cancelling to maximize damage.

Easy way to fix this issue is the damage of abilities are applied after the animation has completed; cancelling the animation prior to it finishing results in zero damage. When I have seen this added to the game top damage dealer that are use to using animation canceling become the trash damage dealers and player who allow the animation to flow move to the top of the damage dealing ranking; over time both groups get closer to overall damage.

Some games simply force the animation and lock the player from doing anything else until that animation is completed, basically all abilities become channeling abilities. This doesn't solve the problem as there are time when you may want to cancel your animation.

My recommendation is going through all abilities adjust some to become channeling, some of them add a casting time, and the last group simply make them instant and reduce the animation for the ability by 50-75%. These minor tweaks would improve the overall experience for all players. This way animation cancelling and light attack weaving would still be in the game but the abilities offering it would be less than there are now, this would help get the players who may presently struggle with maximizing their damage from animation cancelling; this would shrink the gap between top players and average players.

As a side note, top players would still be able to do more damage because animation cancelling would still exist just not to the level it does today.

Whats this shrink the gap between top and bottom??? Do you have this attitude in all walks of life?

Olympics? football? NBA? doctors? That man can run too fast, attach weights to him that'll slow him down to my pace!

Just take your participation medal and stop trying to handicap people.

There will always be people who are bad and people who are good at everything, its up to you where you land! How do you get to Carnegie hall?
    Edited by Stebarnz on February 13, 2020 10:58PM
  • d0e1ow
    d0e1ow
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game's combat is bad in general, and the people who defend this game's laggy, de-synced, absolutely chaotic, button mashy gameplay by trying to pretend being good at ESO is some kind of noble skill the plebs should aspire to are delusional.

Combat is the number one cited reason in my experience for why people dislike the game. It has a horrible reputation for a reason, and that reason probably isn't "cuz they just need to l2p" like the lag causing locusts of Cyrodiil and "Vet Trials" gosugamers seem to imply.
    Edited by d0e1ow on February 13, 2020 11:09PM
    "Her mystery was as essential to her as savagery was to Boethiah or treachery was to Molag Bal. To understand Nocturnal is to negate her, to pull back the curtains cloaking her realm of darkness." - Sigillah Parate "Invocation of Azura"

• d0e1ow
    d0e1ow
    ✭✭✭✭

Whats this shrink the gap between top and bottom??? Do you have this attitude in all walks of life?

Olympics? football? NBA? doctors? That man can run too fast, attach weights to him that'll slow him down to my pace!

There will always be people who are bad and people who are good at everything, its up to you where you land! How do you get to Carnegie hall?

Comparing being a virtuoso musician or Olympic athlete to being a weirdo who is overly invested in defending a gameplay bug. A real big brain moment from you.

"Her mystery was as essential to her as savagery was to Boethiah or treachery was to Molag Bal. To understand Nocturnal is to negate her, to pull back the curtains cloaking her realm of darkness." - Sigillah Parate "Invocation of Azura"

• Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    d0e1ow wrote: »

Comparing being a virtuoso musician or Olympic athlete to being a weirdo who is overly invested in defending a gameplay bug. A real big brain moment from you.

C'mon man, you're not a weirdo.

Semantics.
    Edited by Stebarnz on February 13, 2020 11:15PM