The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Return to Tamriel’s Southern Marshlands with the Murkmire Event"

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xTarrant wrote: »
    Does someone want to try and tell me that this isn't designed to encourage people to buy tickets?

It's designed to get people to play more than the absolute minimum (i.e, "I parked an alt next to a delve boss; I log in, kill it, and log out til tomorrow"). So the ticket isn't guaranteed on the first kill, so maybe you'll have to do a whole daily quest (ooh, the burden) to get their tickets for the day.

"They're rigging it for ticket sales!" is /tinfoilhat territory.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does someone want to try and tell me that this isn't designed to encourage people to buy tickets?

It's designed to get people to play more than the absolute minimum (i.e, "I parked an alt next to a delve boss; I log in, kill it, and log out til tomorrow"). So the ticket isn't guaranteed on the first kill, so maybe you'll have to do a whole daily quest (ooh, the burden) to get their tickets for the day.

"They're rigging it for ticket sales!" is /tinfoilhat territory.

More like its designed to make me sit at the delve boss spawn point, reading the forums on my phone, until the boss drops tickets.
    When doing the absolute minimum is the safest way to get my tickets and ensure they aren't lost on some random mob I failed to loot, I'm gonna do the absolute minimum.
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 14, 2020 4:30PM
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to echo so many others. There's no reason that comes to mind why you would choose RNG as the method to deliver tickets. I expect doing the three (there are just three not counting Blackrose) dailies delivers tickets. Like, that should be the bare minimal we should expect. I'm sure that will get you your tickets. I think its fine to add RNG to regular mobs but bosses shouldn't have RNG involved. Like I mentioned, I expect if you do a daily you will get your tickets.

It just amazes me ZOS bothers adding this RNG to things when its not needed because RNG always, ALWAYS, leads to a potential of someone not getting the tickets they are doing the content for. Its come to the point players are hating it and its being used so much to just add unneeded frustration to people. Just stop using it. If people want the tickets they will doing the content. You don't have to add this extra layer. Because the whole point of using it is to ensure some will not get tickets first drop and will keep chasing until they do. They are doing the content. That's what you want. Why *** them off?

What kind of design philosophy has taken over that players are so low down on priorities that you do things like this. Just stop it. It adds absolutely nothing to the player experience. Nothing.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Dragonrise event, trash mobs in Northern Elsweyr theoretically had a "chance" to drop event tickets, and bosses/dragons were guaranteed drops. In practise, a very few people complained of missing event tickets, but most players got their tickets every day - and trash mob kills seemed very likely to give tickets if you had not already received them (and were not maxed in tickets carried already). The Murkmire event will likely be the same. The complaints about this issue (event tickets being subject to RNG) seem overblown to me.

You must not have frequented the forum during Dragonrise, or maybe your memory is just faulty, if you think there were no complains about this. A lot of people lost tickets because of this and on the whole it was an extremely unpopular decision.
    Which makes it baffling that they went all out RNG on the tickets. Soooo many more people are going to lose tickets this time around.

Actually I check the forums fairly often, and there WERE several complaints - but only from a TINY fraction of the player base. Here's the other thing though - most people who "lost" tickets were able to call in to ZoS support and get their tickets that way. Does anyone else think that the support people will be trying to make sure that they get as few calls as possible from this issue? I do. That's why I'm confident that people will get tickets from the first Murkmire mob body that they can loot that day (SarahHecker's comments notwithstanding). The main RNG issue will be for people trying to kill a boss to get tickets - only the first 12 get loot, so you can't get tickets if you don't get loot. I agree that there are better ways to tie event tickets to activities, e.g. daily repeatable quests - I just think that all the complaints so far about "RNG" are wildly overblown. The download of Update 25 is going to have a far bigger impact on more players than the "RNG" will.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Dragonrise event, trash mobs in Northern Elsweyr theoretically had a "chance" to drop event tickets, and bosses/dragons were guaranteed drops. In practise, a very few people complained of missing event tickets, but most players got their tickets every day - and trash mob kills seemed very likely to give tickets if you had not already received them (and were not maxed in tickets carried already). The Murkmire event will likely be the same. The complaints about this issue (event tickets being subject to RNG) seem overblown to me.

You must not have frequented the forum during Dragonrise, or maybe your memory is just faulty, if you think there were no complains about this. A lot of people lost tickets because of this and on the whole it was an extremely unpopular decision.
    Which makes it baffling that they went all out RNG on the tickets. Soooo many more people are going to lose tickets this time around.

Actually I check the forums fairly often, and there WERE several complaints - but only from a TINY fraction of the player base. Here's the other thing though - most people who "lost" tickets were able to call in to ZoS support and get their tickets that way. Does anyone else think that the support people will be trying to make sure that they get as few calls as possible from this issue? I do. That's why I'm confident that people will get tickets from the first Murkmire mob body that they can loot that day (SarahHecker's comments notwithstanding). The main RNG issue will be for people trying to kill a boss to get tickets - only the first 12 get loot, so you can't get tickets if you don't get loot. I agree that there are better ways to tie event tickets to activities, e.g. daily repeatable quests - I just think that all the complaints so far about "RNG" are wildly overblown. The download of Update 25 is going to have a far bigger impact on more players than the "RNG" will.

You have an awful lot of confidence in ZOS. Wonder what the hell that's based on, because it sure as hell can't be experience.

You and I clearly saw something very different during Dragonrise, that's for sure. Sure if you compare to the total playerbase the amount were tiny, but not if you compare to the number of people frequenting the forum AND take into account that getting on here takes an official invitation which can take weeks to get if you lost your original mail (or it just never arrived).
    Reddit, which is far more easily accessible, and twitter (ditto) saw a lot more, and a lot more vocal, complaints.

And by all means, let people write to support. It's not like they don't already take a week or two to respond to fairly basic and simple queries. Something you'd know if you're on this forum as much as you claim. Should only take people about a month or so to get their lost tickets, by which time the Impressario will be long gone and the tickets worthless.
    Also, what if you lose tickets so you'd have more than 12 in your inventory?
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Client redownload in the middle of the event? I mean, you do realise this is gonna cause some issues, right?
    Especially for people who need several days for full redownload.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Anniversary Cake way of getting event tickets :) no rng there. From Boss kills only or from a completed quest are also good. Them coming from ANYTHING really opens the way for people to lose out. Don't group until you get your tickets because if a group member kills something and you aren't aware and don't go loot it, you may just have lost your tickets for the day
  • Jaguar7Mx
    Jaguar7Mx
    ✭✭
    I am Happy for Murkmire event,,, Thanks ESO for make that Argonians have elements from ancient Aztecs and Maya culture from Mexico...We can see Chichen Itza, Teotihuacan temples, Eagles and Jaguar Warrios, Quetzalcoatl (Aztec) and Kulkukan (Maya) Gods, and o thers elements that are in the argonian culture, cheers. LB98F4.jpg
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on feb. 20th is when the event starts but we all redownload on the 24th.... Are we gonna be given some extra time for the event that we will miss?

@bossonova420 Not sure if you noticed, but the Murkmire event is going to be a day longer than usual (for this sort of event), and offer THREE tickets a day instead of the usual TWO for this length of event. So ZoS have already adjusted things a little so that most players should not suffer a lack of event tickets, at least. (I know there are still going to be a lot of players with a slow internet connection, or other download/installation problems, who may be unable to play for several days... :( ).
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Delve into the perilous region of Murkmire during this in-game event and you can earn bonus rewards including style pages, crafting materials, collectibles, and more!

And how does this fit in with having to re-download the game....???
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PLEASE TAKE THIS POLL ON THE EVENT TICKET DROPS
    (If you dont vote or care then dont complain later)

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/512545/event-ticket-drops-cause-problems-if-they-are-rng-any-monster/p1?new=1
  • nightstrike
    nightstrike
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally missed tickets during that event because the game crashed before I could loot the corpse. They choose to flag you as having used your daily ticket attempt when the monster dies, not when the tickets get added to your account. This absurd choice resulted in a ticket to support requiring 26 emails, 2 mods on this forum, and a phone call to 3 different people at corporate headquarters before somebody credited back the missing tickets.

This is what we paid thousands of dollars to be able to do. This is what "fun" has become.
    Warning: This signature is tiny!
  • snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the Murkmire Event! Also, I wanted the Xanmeer Manor (Murkmire Underwater Home) to come back, but now I hear it is coming back in furnished & unfurnished versions on Feb. 20, 2020 for the Murkmire Event! :D So, now I'm happy. o:) I just wish I knew in advance how much it will cost? I was thinking to get another Valentines Furniture pack, it was so nice! However, I better hang on to my remaining crowns till I see if I can get Xanmeer Manor on the 20th. <3 I previewed it & i love it! Thanks to ZOS for bringing it back for Murkmire Event! :)

Dear Zos, in the future can you please list the house prices before the events for the homes to become available? Thank you so much. <3
    Edited by snowsong on February 17, 2020 5:39AM
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course it is. The pattern is pretty clear when we look at the big picture and consider some general industry trends over the past decade in video gaming.

Most of you who use the forums have been playing this game for a long time, so you know what events used to look like in this game. They were simply events - limited time activities that offered players unique rewards and ways of engaging with the game. While there are some monetization benefits to holding events like this - such as increasing player engagement and promoting DLC content packs - it was ethical monetization. Rewards from playing in events were clearly tilted in favor of the customer and looked more like a "thank you, here's some cool stuff" on the part of the publisher and developer. Customers could obtain unique recipes that were easy to craft with base-game ingredients, various furnishing blueprints, finished furniture items, and even difficult to obtain DLC dungeon motifs. Our events were awesome.

At some point, some higher up - probably within Zenimax Corporate - decided that events needed to serve a different purpose. Beginning in Fall of 2018, our events began transforming from fun celebrations and an example of ethical monetization that appreciates customers to one that is mainly interested in exploiting them (aka, predatory monetization). They have made the changes slowly and gradually, because you always want to introduce customer-unfriendly monetization slowly to minimize backlash. Remember, when they first introduced event tickets in Fall 2018, event tickets could only be obtained by actually participating in the events. They added event tickets to the cash shop in Spring 2019, which was a very transparent move in the direction of monetizing events. Since then they have added additional elements that inconvenience the customer and encourage them to pay to win the event rewards. What they are doing with Murkmire is simply the latest example of this and probably something their analytics said was going to increase their profits over last quarter. Remember, this industry collects all sorts of data on you now. I've no doubt they've run the numbers, which I made a tongue-in-cheek cynical post about over here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6604404#Comment_6604404
    Edited by Starlock on February 17, 2020 4:48PM
  • Magna_Chronos
    Magna_Chronos
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? This event will run while everyone is re-downloading the game! Who had this idea?
    Daggerfall Covenant - PC NA
    ID: Magna.Chronos
    GUILD ONE STRONG
    聞くは一時の恥、聞かぬは一生の恥
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    snowsong wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the Murkmire Event! Also, I wanted the Xanmeer Manor (Murkmire Underwater Home) to come back, but now I hear it is coming back in furnished & unfurnished versions on Feb. 20, 2020 for the Murkmire Event! :D So, now I'm happy. o:) I just wish I knew in advance how much it will cost? I was thinking to get another Valentines Furniture pack, it was so nice! However, I better hang on to my remaining crowns till I see if I can get Xanmeer Manor on the 20th. <3 I previewed it & i love it! Thanks to ZOS for bringing it back for Murkmire Event! :)

Dear Zos, in the future can you please list the house prices before the events for the homes to become available? Thank you so much. <3

If it helps, the last time it was released, the cost was Unfurnished / Furnished: 15,000 / 17,500 Crowns.
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is so dumb just heard about rng. I have atrocious rng luck in this game and even a simple winter fishing quest can take 20+ mins. Laaaaaame. This will take way too long.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    They added event tickets to the cash shop in Spring 2019, which was a very transparent move in the direction of monetizing events. Since then they have added additional elements that inconvenience the customer and encourage them to pay to win the event rewards.

Which is really too bad because tickets in the cash shop -- especially since they are giftable -- is actually a good move on its own. Sometimes, people are just not interested in an event or have IRL conflicts.
    It'll be interesting to see a year from now how events compare to pre-crown-store-ticket events and if they try to increase the scarcity mentality in the event rewards.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on February 18, 2020 3:14AM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Starlock wrote: »
    They added event tickets to the cash shop in Spring 2019, which was a very transparent move in the direction of monetizing events. Since then they have added additional elements that inconvenience the customer and encourage them to pay to win the event rewards.

Which is really too bad because tickets in the cash shop -- especially since they are giftable -- is actually a good move on its own. Sometimes, people are just not interested in an event or have IRL conflicts.
    It'll be interesting to see a year from now how events compare to pre-crown-store-ticket events and if they try to increase the scarcity mentality in the event rewards.

They could have also made event tickets tradable currency instead of putting it in the cash shop. They basically did exactly that with this Midyear Mayhem event and the Alliance Standard-Bearer's Emblems. There are ways to accommodate players missing out on events that don't lurch the whole system into the bad kind of monetization. It apparently wasn't their goal to avoid such things. Their goal was to make events another consistent revenue stream and continuously increase that revenue over time. This isn't by any means a bad thing or a bad goal (though it must be said perpetual growth is never sustainable), but the means by which this is achieved matter. It is always better to cultivate customer goodwill, because as powerful as addiction is (ESO and other MMOs are pretty much designed to create addiction), loss of goodwill can and does tear people out of their patterns of compulsive behavior. Sure, you'll retain the hopeless addicts, but that's a much more limited customer base.
  • bossonova420
    bossonova420
    ✭✭
    on feb. 20th is when the event starts but we all redownload on the 24th.... Are we gonna be given some extra time for the event that we will miss?

@bossonova420 Not sure if you noticed, but the Murkmire event is going to be a day longer than usual (for this sort of event), and offer THREE tickets a day instead of the usual TWO for this length of event. So ZoS have already adjusted things a little so that most players should not suffer a lack of event tickets, at least. (I know there are still going to be a lot of players with a slow internet connection, or other download/installation problems, who may be unable to play for several days... :( ).

Thank you man and no I did not notice what u have mentioned.
  • CasgarTheSomnolent
    CasgarTheSomnolent
    ✭✭✭
    Killed three bog blights and a bear-lizard and got my tickets and strongbox. Just go out there and kill a few things, people. Easy as hell. Exactly as Sarah said.
  • Kevlar501
    Kevlar501
    ✭✭
    Hey all, just to clarify a few points on Event Tickets before the start of the event:

All three tickets drop at once (rather than one at a time.) Even though there is only a chance for them to drop, that chance is quite high for basic enemies and even higher for World & Delve Bosses. That being said, you might want to turn on auto loot before the event to make sure you're grabbing everything.

I have been playing for hours, and Haven't gotten a single box or any event tickets, I even submitted a ticket to see if maybe when i got disconnected at the beginning of a boss fight, that had caused a problem and why I have not gotten anything and the only response I got was "to keep trying to get tickets" if its just a high chance why have I gotten nothing over hours of playing and yes I've looted everything that I could loot and if me getting disconnected and then not being able to loot the boss because he's gone when I relog is the problem then you need to fix how the loot system works. I understand that on one hand its just a game, but on the other hand I pay to subscribe to this game so that when I get done with a stressful day i can play this game and relax, not become more stressed out.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Can you please clarify how the fragments work for the pet and memento? I didn't get any last night - only got one strongbox from a couple hours of killing stuff and didn't get a fragment in the box I got. However, my spouse did get one is his one and only box, but it went straight to collections.

So, does this mean that once we get (if we get) a fragment and it goes to our collection, will we get any more that will be tradeable? Or will we just not see that fragment drop again? If the latter, then there's no way other than buying event tickets or grinding for hours hoping to get more boxes to get one of them, much less both.

Yes, enough tickets do drop to where you could buy one with earned event tickets, but that's assuming you don't want/need any berries and what you had when you started the event. I'm only interested in the pet, but I cannot see farming for hours to try and get more than the one guaranteed box.

The Narfy boxes dropped more often during the Dragonrise event. I easily got 2 or 3 from just completing the dailies in Northern Elsweyr.

Any clarification is appreciated, so players know whether they need to grind or just buy them from the Impresario, or if there's a chance they can buy extras from other players. Thanks!
  • augestflex_ESO
    Not receiving any event tickets. I've made three world boss kills, numerous regular monster kills, both in and outside delves, gathered numerous gathering nodes and run four delves killing nearly all monsters in the delve including the boss and turned in four daily repeatable quests as well as several non-repeatable quests.

Last delve i ran was Sithis Teeth which I did as a daily to gather the ritual objects which I turned in. I also did the necromancer world boss right before that and burned the roots and turned in that daily.

zero event tickets so far.
  • augestflex_ESO
    Still nothing and I have killed a lot of mobs in the zone over and over, opened a bunch of chests, etc.

Any thoughts?

CP1002, Sorc with two pets.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Still nothing and I have killed a lot of mobs in the zone over and over, opened a bunch of chests, etc.

Any thoughts?

CP1002, Sorc with two pets.

Is it possible your pets killed something while you weren't looking? They can aggro while you're somewhere else and linger to kill that thing.
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but yesterday I picked up event tickets with no problem, today, no tickets after 6 hours of gameplay. All last year I followed the events and got my tickets for actually doing activities now its well you might get a ticket, thats hardly encouraging people. This isn't making me want to take part in the event. I may as well do something else in game or play another game than get annoyed because of a stupid decision on your part.
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.
  • augestflex_ESO
    Today I got event tickets!!!!!

Edited to add: And a golden strongbox. Now the question, how come in 5-6 hours of gameplay in Murkmire zone yesterday doing world bosses, delves, gathering, opening chests, killing tons of mobs, I didn't get either?
    Edited by augestflex_ESO on February 22, 2020 5:12PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I got event tickets!!!!!

Edited to add: And a golden strongbox. Now the question, how come in 5-6 hours of gameplay in Murkmire zone yesterday doing world bosses, delves, gathering, opening chests, killing tons of mobs, I didn't get either?

You probably did, but did not loot the corpse that had them. :unamused:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a very simple test to determine whether this event is fun and rewards are good or not. Just imagine that such a scheme is used to pay you as an employee.

Like with every daily activity you have a small chance to get an envelope first time a day. And you have an extremely smaller chance to get another envelope for the rest of the daily activities. And in each envelope you have a chance to get 1/50 of your month salary. But rejoice, there are other employees that got 3-4 envelopes a day and 2-3 of 1/50 in every envelope. So you don't need to be upset that you have at most 1 envelope a day and only half of your envelopes contain 1/50 parts of your salary. That's how RNG works. Works as intended.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.