The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tested necromancer. Second WORST iteration of necromancer of my entire gaming life

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noxavian wrote: »
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Why do people keep talking about necromancers in other games and franchises? This is The Elder Scrolls.
    If ESO's necro lacks anything thematically, it's a reference of some kind or use of Black Soul Gems or Lichdom. But otherwise they are just fine, as fitting as they can be without being a Sorcerer-clone, which is what many people apparently want?

How is ESO's necromancer fine? Like, literally the NPCs we fight *in this game* in "elder scrolls" can summon multiple skeletons, zombies, etc.

Why can't we do that as players? Don't you get that it's about wanting to be an "Elder Scrolls" necromancer, that's the point.

The thing is that the CURRENT Necromancer isn't even that. No, they absolutely are not just fine. Pets doesn't equal sorcerer clone.... Lol. I would argue right now it shares more similarities to sorcerers than it would if it could summon one or two more pets that are unique to the necromancer playstyle.

Going back to my original point, surely you couldn't of missed the part where people are talking about necros from *this* franchise right....? From /this/ game right? You know, the npcs that you see just wandering around with skeletal guards....or the ability to raise zombies and buff them....or summon a flesh atronach...
    So? Then why bring up all these other games like in the OP? It's totally irrelevant.

But there are a ton of NPC skills that aren't available to players ... just because player werewolves can't decimate everyone with their howl, player Templars can't teleport from one place to another or player DKs can't turn a whole area into flames means they are crap, there are just different considerations at play between NPC and player skills. Like balance between classes, and keeping their playstyles relatively distinct from each other.

And none of what you mentioned is thematically out of line with what Necromancers already have. You can have up to 3 undead summons. Summoning a Flesh Atronach is literally their ultimate. Not having a Zombie might not be exactly what you want, but it is fine, again, thematically.

Sure, I'd like to summon Fire and Frost Atronachs, too, but that doesn't make Sorcerer tHe WoRsT cLaSs EvEr.
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    Why do people keep talking about necromancers in other games and franchises? This is The Elder Scrolls.
    If ESO's necro lacks anything thematically, it's a reference of some kind or use of Black Soul Gems or Lichdom. But otherwise they are just fine, as fitting as they can be without being a Sorcerer-clone, which is what many people apparently want?

No idea. People also say that dragons in teso are wyverns, but teso doesn't have the concept of wyverns in the first place. What can you do.

And I agree on not wanting a sorcerer clone. But at the same time, in terms of mechanics necro is not just a warden clone, it's a warden reskin. And that's kinda bugs me as well. I wish there was something more interesting, some new mechanics we don't have yet. And maybe less stiffness and clunky abilities as well.
    Yeah they are probably closest to Wardens right now, mostly because of the delayed burst of Shalks/Blastbones. But I think the corpse mechanic gives them a unique feature that the other classes largely lack, so they still stand out to me in that regard. I just wish they had put more effort into their 'class identity' patches last year ...
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pretty bad, i agree. I was so disappointed with necromancers that mine is still level 3, and i haven't completed a single quest in Elsweyr.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All of my examples where geared towards in game. I tend to stay away from other sources such as Diablo and other games. All the skills I suggested are used in game by lesser necromancers currently. Which bogles my mind as to why we can't get access to the basic things regular in game necromancers have.

Thing is we aren't asking for sorc clones. Heck most of us don't even want permanent pets, but more pet variety (melee or zombies) instead of a pet that's not really a pet but a dot disguised as a pet or more lore friendly skills.

@Toanis most of us don't want perms pets. Having an undead in town blocking venders is a dumb idea from a technical and lore perspective. What we want is more necromatic options that current exist in game now.

As far as creating minions from corpses, I agree. That would be difficult to implement during a boss fight with no mobs. But I assumed that if we actually used the skill around a corpse that we would empower our minion. At least that's how I figured it would work. So using a dead body to empower our pets similarly to how using graveyard on a corpse empowers the damage of that skill. Very necromancer to me.
  • L0rdV1ct0r
    L0rdV1ct0r
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, I'd like to summon Fire and Frost Atronachs, too, but that doesn't make Sorcerer tHe WoRsT cLaSs EvEr.

Except that Sorcerers can do a lot of cool stuff with summoning, dark magic and lightning. Bonemancers can't do anything.

The necromancer is the worst thing and doesn't follow the lore https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Necromancy
    [
    As far as creating minions from corpses, I agree. That would be difficult to implement during a boss fight with no mobs. But I assumed that if we actually used the skill around a corpse that we would empower our minion. At least that's how I figured it would work. So using a dead body to empower our pets similarly to how using graveyard on a corpse empowers the damage of that skill. Very necromancer to me.

Make minions created from nothing gradually losing health and lasting far less than minions created from corpses that lasts until killed.
    Edited by L0rdV1ct0r on February 1, 2020 8:39PM
  • L0rdV1ct0r
    L0rdV1ct0r
    ✭✭✭
    One more thing. Nobody was expecting that necromancer would have the same in depth pet mechanics as GENEFORGE, a game all about life creation. But if is hard to think in ways to improve D2's necro, is almost impossible to think in ways to make TESO necromancer less necromancer.

According to the lore "Necromancy, also called the Necromantic Arts, Dark Arts, or Dark Practice, is the manipulation of the souls or corpses of the dead."

The unique thing from necromancy on TESO is "bones"...