Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

‘Mythic’ gear

ThePhantomThorn
ThePhantomThorn
✭✭✭✭
So what do people think of the mythic gear idea?
I think it would be great, adding new combat styles. But, it might be really grindy to get the item you want.
It depends on how you obtain them.
But I think they will be like arena weapons, ( and armour ) but they will have to be careful to not make them op. I’m waiting to see how strong they are.
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they will be interesting, adding new flavour to playstyles.
    My warden is still waiting for a wolf summon... My hopes are high this year, perhaps a bit too high. :(

Having something different besides combat will be a nice change too.
    I think it's too early to judge what to expect out of the new system...
    Options
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirMewser wrote: »
    I think they will be interesting, adding new flavour to playstyles.
    My warden is still waiting for a wolf summon... My hopes are high this year, perhaps a bit too high. :(

Having something different besides combat will be a nice change too.
    I think it's too early to judge what to expect out of the new system...

New Mythic item that changes your bear to a wolf and changes the tooltip. Maybe applies a bleed or something different. Who knows! Like others have said, the possibilities are endless if they really wanted to do cool unique things!
    Options
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something that mythic items could do is they could make a head that highlights enemies or has a small stealth detect, or a shield that deals damage when you block.
    I don’t want any generalised effect like restore stam or mag or whatever. I think most of us would like unique effects.
    Options
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The idea of mythic items made me giddy. It is a base that can build so many fun things.

A helmet that lets you see outlines of creatures through walls.
    Or maybe a pair of gloves that increase bow range.
    Options
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any resume on what are the Mythic gear ?
    A step beyond Legendary ? Or something else ?
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

Options
  • 5cript
    5cript
    ✭✭✭✭
    The way I understood it, they're like arena weaps, but from casual content and not just weaps: 1 piece powerful items.

Might allow to trade a 5 piece set bonus for a different effect.
    But what I wonder: how long do I have to grind to get the one I want? 5, 10, 20, 100 hours?
    Options
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »

Special gear with special powers that can only be used one piece at a time, always gold quality, always cp160.
    Options
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love how noones discussing the fact that in order to have mythica you'll have to give up either a 5 set bonus, monster set bonus or arena weapon set bonus.

Another useless gear system lol. Unless... They actually make them insanely stronger to compensate.
    Options
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    I love how noones discussing the fact that in order to have mythica you'll have to give up either a 5 set bonus, monster set bonus or arena weapon set bonus.

Another useless gear system lol. Unless... They actually make them insanely stronger to compensate.

I was thinking along those lines when I heard it. It would have to be a mighty head or shoulders piece, for instance, to displace a high end monster set. Or yes, you could lose a 5th piece bonus. They'll make theory crafting much harder, I suspect.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it’s a good idea. Items like j boots (forgot what EQ called them) for your character. It will be great if it’s done well.

As a 1 piece item, how will that fit into builds? No more monster sets?
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    PRX and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
    Options
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭

I was thinking along those lines when I heard it. It would have to be a mighty head or shoulders piece, for instance, to displace a high end monster set. Or yes, you could lose a 5th piece bonus. They'll make theory crafting much harder, I suspect.

I hope they actually add a new slot for mythic gear. So they wont take existing slots.
    Options
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You know... They have 3 item sets(edit for clarification: 5 set, 3 set, monster set, mythic gear, for example. And you can have your arena weapon back barred. Or the mythic back barred. Or the three item set weapon... Whatever.)... It's up to you to be creative. Or wait for your metagod to think for you and tell you what to do with them.

Also, there's already an example of it, a ring that doubles your speed outside of battle or something along these lines... It's a farming ring, or a scroll running ring... Not something you'll have equipped necessarily as main gear, or even as fighting gear at all...

How about this: wait until it comes out before your start saying "useless, lel" like a brat? I'm sure your metagod will eventually tell you how to use it
    Just watch their streams.
    Edited by ZonasArch on January 17, 2020 5:35AM
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let every relic of the past be weighed against the might of my Giant Spider Helm.
    signing off
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Think Exotics from Destiny, if you're familiar with that game.

Each Mythic has unique effects, but you're limited to having one Mythic item equipped at a time. The examples given were a Curiass that regenerated Magicka when blocking attacks, and a jewelry piece that increased movement speed.

Mythics will be 160 Legendary items. Though, I seriously hope they're given a different color code than simply gold, because otherwise it could be tricky to identify them at a glance in your inventory/bank.
    Options
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZonasArch wrote: »

Special gear with special powers that can only be used one piece at a time, always gold quality, always cp160.

Thx, I'm curious now, gonna wait for more info.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PvPers will whine they are over-performing, get ZoS to nerf them, and ruin an interesting addition to the game.
    Options
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then i hope they add an extra slot for this item, or its the end of having 2 sets and monster set...
    Options
  • SHANKS_63
    SHANKS_63
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I thought it’s a good idea. Items like j boots (forgot what EQ called them) for your character. It will be great if it’s done well.

As a 1 piece item, how will that fit into builds? No more monster sets?

Journeyman boots!
    Options
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PvPers will whine they are over-performing, get ZoS to nerf them, and ruin an interesting addition to the game.

Those are the scrubby bad players who also hold hands with others and stack resistances because theyre afraid to die.
    we need more damage to balance out this almost-feels-like-a-tank meta we have.
    Options
  • Eliahnus
    Eliahnus
    ✭✭✭
    Well then i hope they add an extra slot for this item, or its the end of having 2 sets and monster set...

I think it's more the contrary : if there is no additional slot, the new items will never be used - or only in very specific conditions - nobody will give up there monster set or 5-set bonus.
    Options
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So this is going to like the Exotic weapon missions on Destiny. That’s pretty cool. Hopefully they don’t time gate some of them like Destiny do.
    Options
  • danara
    danara
    ✭✭✭
    Shaloknir wrote: »

I hope they actually add a new slot for mythic gear. So they wont take existing slots.

We are already broken, and you want them to give us more fire power? ok...
    Options
  • danara
    danara
    ✭✭✭
    Eliahnus wrote: »

I think it's more the contrary : if there is no additional slot, the new items will never be used - or only in very specific conditions - nobody will give up there monster set or 5-set bonus.

But what about monster? As a PVE healer i feel like mine is useless in most of the case...

Bogdan is overhealing (in most of the case, not because of the heal output which is fine, but because people do not take any damage or get one shoted), Symphony of blade cant proc enough to be good (in trial) and earthgore is just bad in pve
    Options
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I confess I'm sceptic about this mythic gear. The way gear is done in ESO makes an item set's last line far more important than any other. In addition, 5-set pieces have more powerful bonuses than 3-set pieces (undaunted monster sets are a particular case, since they can only be worn on two equipment slots). This is why most people run around with 5+5+2 combinations, why ZOS after years of complaints ended up fixing two-handed weapons to count as two slots for item set purposes, and why jewellery crafting is still worth anything despite the horrendous cost of crafting and upgrading.

If mythic gear replaces an item piece, it would have to be pretty powerful to justify losing one of your sets' last-line bonuses. This would be particularly problematic with head/shoulder pieces, as those are typically assigned to monster sets that cannot be replaced by any other equipment slot, so you can only ever use a mythic head or shoulder piece if you are willing to give up your monster set two-piece bonus. But if mythic gear is so powerful as to justify losing the bonus, the potential for unforeseen balance issues is enormous.

Hopefully ZOS come up with imaginative ways to avoid these pitfalls, but as I said, I'm a bit sceptic that they can do so and fear that they will take the easy route of "let's do it to spice things up" rather than that of "let's make sure it all plays nice together".
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    I confess I'm sceptic about this mythic gear. The way gear is done in ESO makes an item set's last line far more important than any other. In addition, 5-set pieces have more powerful bonuses than 3-set pieces (undaunted monster sets are a particular case, since they can only be worn on two equipment slots). This is why most people run around with 5+5+2 combinations, why ZOS after years of complaints ended up fixing two-handed weapons to count as two slots for item set purposes, and why jewellery crafting is still worth anything despite the horrendous cost of crafting and upgrading.

If mythic gear replaces an item piece, it would have to be pretty powerful to justify losing one of your sets' last-line bonuses. This would be particularly problematic with head/shoulder pieces, as those are typically assigned to monster sets that cannot be replaced by any other equipment slot, so you can only ever use a mythic head or shoulder piece if you are willing to give up your monster set two-piece bonus. But if mythic gear is so powerful as to justify losing the bonus, the potential for unforeseen balance issues is enormous.

Hopefully ZOS come up with imaginative ways to avoid these pitfalls, but as I said, I'm a bit sceptic that they can do so and fear that they will take the easy route of "let's do it to spice things up" rather than that of "let's make sure it all plays nice together".

They could structure the buffs to work like vMA weapons right now, so you could backbar them.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 17, 2020 9:07AM
    Options
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They could structure the buffs to work like vMA weapons right now, so you could backbar them.

Maybe. But they did mention armour pieces and not (to my recollection) weapons. Armour cannot be back-barred, which makes the issue that much more complicated than trial weapons. Even if weapons come up, trial and arena weapons are two-piece sets, so that you need to have both pieces in the case of dual wielding or one hand and shield to get the bonus. This levels the playing field between people using two-handed weapons and those using dual wield or sword and board. If mythic weapons are introduced and they're one-piece sets, that brings back the discrimination between these groups, as one would lose two item slots and the other just one.
    Options
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the change would mostly affect tanking, which would shift to 5 piece set 5 piece set 1 mythical 1 monster piece.

I am sorry but they had me at "chest piece that makes you restore magicka when you block"
    Edited by zvavi on January 17, 2020 9:38AM
    Options
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like someone else mentioned, if you run one these you can easily run a 3pc set as well while still having a monster set and a 5pc. I think the idea is to encourage players to be able to build outside of the usual 5 5 2 set up. It is unlikely the power of these will outstrip a typical 5pc set. I would be shocked if any of these came close to the meta sets for DD at least.

I imagine they could see more use in pvp depending on what they are.
    Options
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already run two separate monster pieces and I always keep Shoulders/Head of the BiS sets, so adding a 1p bonus shouldn't be an issue. I've been waiting for "monster sets" not on the usual slots for a long time. Just to make head an shoulder pieces more relevant.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
    Options
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eliahnus wrote: »

Or it’ll be more powerful and everybody will give up a monster set or 5 set piece.
    Options