The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Next Chapter Involves Volkihar Vampire Clan's Formation.

madeeh91rwb17_ESO
madeeh91rwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
What we know:
- Harkon was supposed to be a King of Haafingar region during or after the events of ESO.
- NPC dialogue hints Solitude as the destination.(For new chapter)
- ZOS loves milking nostalgia.

Therefore: Next chapter involves Molag Bal's Bussiness with Harkon, and Serana confirmed.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er, Skyrim's dialogue heavily hints that Serana was entombed during the 1st Era, prior to the formation of an Empire in Cyrodiil.

So it might have the Volkihar, but Serana seems unlikely.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 5, 2019 6:14PM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Er, Skyrim's dialogue heavily hints that Serana was entombed during the 1st Era, prior to the formation of an Empire in Cyrodiil.

From Wiki...
    Her year of birth is unknown, but she was originally locked away in the mid-late Second Era, in between the rule of the Reman and Septim Empires
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    havent played Skyrim for years. who's Harkon/Serana?
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

Play it before it becomes disgustingly outdated.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »

From Wiki...
    Her year of birth is unknown, but she was originally locked away in the mid-late Second Era, in between the rule of the Reman and Septim Empires

Which wiki? Uesp states she was sealed sometime "in the early part of the first era".

"It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think they have changed lore in the past havent they?

Honestly i would only care about her if ESO implemented some sort of companion system, similar to SWTOR
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

From Wiki...

There's some lore messery somewhere then, because she explicitly states she isn't aware of an Empire in cyrodiil.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So vampires are next ? Hmm... This makes me curious, what will be the "selling point" of new chapter ? I highly doubt it will be a new class. Also we already have Vampire skill line, so even if they will overhaul it, it will still be "base game update".

Some possibilities:
    - Spell crafting
    - 1 hand & spell weapon skill line
    - Spears / combat staff weapon skill line
    - Bard guild skill line

Also, keep in mind that with Summerset we actually got 2 skill lines - Jewellery crafting & Psijic order. So we can also get more than one thing here.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

From Wiki...

Which wiki? Uesp states she was sealed sometime "in the early part of the first era".

Here:

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Serana

https://www.imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-others

Which says:
    The intention was that Serana went to sleep in the late second era, between the Reman and Septim empires. Her initial dialogue is just her surprise that there’s an Empire in Cyrodiil, as there hadn't been when she went to sleep.

Which is true, since there isn't an empire in the game at the moment.
  • Qethsegol
    Qethsegol
    ✭✭✭
    The Formation of the Volkihar Clan is pretty unlikely, as there are already Volkihar vampires in ESO, namely Majorn the Ancient.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes Serana is surprised about empire but she seems ok with Chimer turning into Dunmer........... :D
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What we know:
    - Harkon was supposed to be a King of Haafingar region during or after the events of ESO.

Therefore: Next chapter involves Molag Bal's Bussiness with Harkon, and Serana confirmed.

imagine next chapter to be blackmarsh.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

Harkon was a vampire lord in Skyrim who sacrificed his wife and daughter to Molag Bal to gain vampirism. Serana is his qt daughter. They were in the Dawnguard DLC.
    Edited by vestahls on December 5, 2019 7:04PM
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

From Wiki...

There's some lore messery somewhere then, because she explicitly states she isn't aware of an Empire in cyrodiil.

Because there isn't an empire when she goes to sleep (and there's not one during ESO). I posted the source(s) above.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From Wiki...

There's a number of reasons to go with an earlier date, from the actual games, not an unsourced wiki quote.

Harkon says, speaking of his court: "Not just vampires. We are among the oldest and most powerful vampires in Skyrim."
    That seems unlikely, if he's referring to the mid to late 2nd Era.

Durnehviir likewise dates his entrance to the Soul Cairn and the bargain to guard Valerica as a time when "The dovah roamed the skies, vying for their small slices of territory that resulted in immense and ultimately fatal battles." This is almost certainly the Merethic Era, prior to the defeat of Alduin, or after when the dragons are hunted.

Similarly, Serana's dialogue does not match ESO's fragmented, constantly battling Empire.
    PC: The Empire supports Elisif, but there are many in Skyrim loyal to Ulfric.
    Serena: "Empire? What... what empire?"
    PC: The... Empire. From Cyrodiil.
    Serana: "Cyrodiil is the seat of an empire? I must have been gone longer than I thought. Definitely longer than we planned. Please, let's hurry. I need to get home so I can figure out what's happened."

Serana isn't talking about the Cyrodiil of ESO, which:
    A. Is wartorn, but definitely still has Imperial claimants
    B. Still has Imperial Armies fighting to maintain control of its provinces
    C. Has three major alliances fighting to claim the Ruby Throne in order for two of them to establish their own empire - DC literally wants to establish a 2nd Empire.
    With all the above in mind, her confusion upon hearing of an Empire in Cyrodiil doesn't make sense. If she were around for ESO, there's no reason for her to be surprised that someone is in control of Cyrodiil or that someone reinstated an empire .

Claiming that Serana's imprisonment is 2nd Era is a retcon, based on the lore we only know from ESO. You can twist ESO's lore to fit, maybe, if you twist real hard and squint sideways.

I'd rather stick with just the Volkihar. There's no need to shoehorn in Serana's backstory when I could just replay Dawnguard instead.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 5, 2019 7:09PM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It wasn't unsourced - it's a quote from Matt Grandstaff at Bethesda:

• Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

From Wiki...

Here:

Which says:
    The intention was that Serana went to sleep in the late second era, between the Reman and Septim empires. Her initial dialogue is just her surprise that there’s an Empire in Cyrodiil, as there hadn't been when she went to sleep.

Well, not personally a fan of fandom, but imperial library is straight up, and usually uesp is too. I'll admit it's hard to argue with the game runners.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Drakavyn_morelock
    Drakavyn_morelock
    ✭✭✭
    So vampires are next ? Hmm... This makes me curious, what will be the "selling point" of new chapter ? I highly doubt it will be a new class. Also we already have Vampire skill line, so even if they will overhaul it, it will still be "base game update".

Some possibilities:
    - Spell crafting
    - 1 hand & spell weapon skill line
    - Spears / combat staff weapon skill line
    - Bard guild skill line

Also, keep in mind that with Summerset we actually got 2 skill lines - Jewellery crafting & Psijic order. So we can also get more than one thing here.

I would love a one hand and spell skill line. I know they probably won't for lore reasons but it would be cool if they have a vampire lord form too but made it extremely difficult to get and expensive for skill points
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From Wiki...

Here:

Which says:

but there was. then the Varen went senile and started world-breaking stuff.

i imagine somebody coming here at this exact moment in the timeline and they know an Empire existed in Cyrodiil. I mean look at all the ruins.... the war trying to occupy said (currently empty throne of an..) empire.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But she wouldn't necessarily realize there was one IN THE FUTURE when she wakes up. Things look pretty bleak right now in ESO as far as the Empire is concerned. And for someone as old as Serana, she may have thought of it as a flash in the pan.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope not I want more on the Reachmen since they should own a large portion of Skyrim at this point or something to do with Winterhold imagine a pre Skyrim Winterhold around the time of eso it should be one of the biggest cities in Skyrim.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure will be, but one thing I know for certain, and that it will cost me £59.99 for South part of map and month later £39.99 for North part of map. :#
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we know:

imagine next chapter to be blackmarsh.

Yeah I thought a read a leak that it was going to be blackmarsh based on some files people digged up.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I read what that Bethesda staffer and it just doesn't make sense to me. Serana is surprised and makes it seem like Cyrodiil didn't have any empire ruling it at all. If she was around during this time the dialogue would have been something like: "Oh so the imperials got the throne back huh?"

But also at the same time it seems as if Cyrodiil went without any sort of real Emperor, or known Empire, from years 2E 578-2E 854 (when Tiber is crowned). That's a long time for no one to sit on the throne. I mean Cuhlecain just proclaimed himself Emperor before being killed so that tells me no one of importance was on the throne and no system was in place. So Cyrodiil was a hot mess for 276 years. That's a long time and giving plenty of people time to forget anything about an Empire ruling Cyrodiil.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't see that at the time of posting.

I'll accept that quote...but frankly, I'm annoyed by it. That may have been their intention, but it's not clear from in game sources from Dawnguard and it makes no sense given what we know of ESO's Cyrodiil.

There's absolutely no reason for a Serana who's active during ESO to be surprised that there is an Empire of some sort in Cyrodiil when she wakes up. Not when the Longhouse Emperors just fell to Varen Aquilarios, there are still numerous Imperial Forces invading various provinces, Empress Clivia (replaced by a daedra admittedly), lots of pretenders to the throne, Queen Ayrenn trying to set herself up as the new Empress, and High King Emeric leading the Covenant to reestablish the 2nd Empire. There are loads of people trying to determine what the next Empire is going to be. She might be surprised at who's in charge, but its not surprising that there's an empire of some sort when she knows some time has passed.

Technically, it could fit in ESO. But it makes Serana look like an idiot. Its a complete retcon of Durnehviir's dialogue to fit with Elsweyr. And if that's what they do, it means that ZOS is once again repackaging another Elder Scrolls game/DLC to sell off as pure nostalgia. "Here, buy your ESO: Dawnguard because we can't think of anything new without mining old games for gimmicks and recurring characters!"

Disappointing. I want better for the Volkihar than that. Tell a new story, ZOS.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

From Wiki...

Here:

Which says:

I understand what you're trying to say, and I understand hype for Serana (actually I don't I didn't like her in skyrim), but her being sealed away now does not make sense. Reread Veranis' excellently detailed explanation.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Nordic ruins. Even older than I am."
    For a vampire from the 2nd era that is rather strange clarification about ruins from the dragon era.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Didn't see that at the time of posting.

I'll accept that quote...but frankly, I'm annoyed by it. That may have been their intention, but it's not clear from in game sources from Dawnguard and it makes no sense given what we know of ESO's Cyrodiil.

There's absolutely no reason for a Serana who's active during ESO to be surprised that there is an Empire of some sort in Cyrodiil when she wakes up. Not when the Longhouse Emperors just fell to Varen Aquilarios, there are still numerous Imperial Forces invading various provinces, Empress Clivia (replaced by a daedra admittedly), lots of pretenders to the throne, Queen Ayrenn trying to set herself up as the new Empress, and High King Emeric leading the Covenant to reestablish the 2nd Empire. There are loads of people trying to determine what the next Empire is going to be. She might be surprised at who's in charge, but its not surprising that there's an empire of some sort when she knows some time has passed.

Technically, it could fit in ESO. But it makes Serana look like an idiot. Its a complete retcon of Durnehviir's dialogue to fit with Elsweyr. And if that's what they do, it means that ZOS is once again repackaging another Elder Scrolls game/DLC to sell off as pure nostalgia. "Here, buy your ESO: Dawnguard because we can't think of anything new without mining old games for gimmicks and recurring characters!"

Disappointing. I want better for the Volkihar than that. Tell a new story, ZOS.

That is a good point, I had forgotten about Durnehviir's dialogue which seems to point towards him being imprisoned/tricked in the Soul Cairn probably around early First Era. Valerica was already in the Soul Cairn at this time and so Serana was already sealed away as well.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vamp might be the focus of one of the DLC's (like Wolfhunter was for furries), but I'm about 99% sure it won't be a Chapter-long theme the way dragons were for Elsweyr.
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's TES lore

Remember the Elder Scrolls allow multiple timelines and events to take place. ANYTHING is possible.