The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why are players dropping like flies?

• Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rampeal wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    b95fister wrote: »
    Just becuause there is a lot of content doesn’t mean it’s good content.

I do not think content has anything to do with it. Heck, Zos has provided the best quality new PvE content over the past few years compared to the current major MMORPGs active today. Granted, that does not mean it meets everyone's interest but is has been better than what WoW and FF have provided by far.

With playing ESO there has been a high degree of change in combat each year because Zos has not been able to make up their mind. This past year Zos has been pushing the limits of the amount of change player can handle and it has caused heavy change fatigue. As someone who has played this game for almost 6 years I can say I am tired of all these changes.

I do not Blame ZoS as much as I blame the Meta. When these streamers and youtubers come out and say that only these X,Y,Z sets are Viable and Only these X,Y,Z skills are Viable and their fan base follow the cookie cutter builds.

Soon everyone starts running the same sets and skills not only dominating pvp with them in PvP, But also PvE. And in this lies the problem. The community starts to demand you run these builds and shame you for playing your own build. It starts to alienate a majority of the community, because many don't like to be told how to play.

So ZoS comes in tries to Balance it with other skills, but they over do it so have to adjust and we get forums like this with the Cookie Cutter players complaining and it starts all over again.

It has been going this way since the first patch and will continue until the end of the game. No different than any other MMO. If you really don't like it than maybe MMOs are not for you. Because this is the nature of the beast.

This happens for every MMO. However, the other MMOs manage to avoid the continuous fail-roller-coaster that happens in ESO.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still no genuine stats to back up the premise of this post.

It’s all apocryphal and, thus, irrelevant. Only ZOS know the reality of player numbers and you sense that even they don’t trust the data as they would surely ensure that the servers were capable of meeting demand if they did.

Just to refute the basic assumption that fewer people are playing. You will always notice when someone around you, who you are familiar with, leaves. You will only rarely notice when a new player joins.

The same with guilds. You will notice when a guild you are familiar with closes, you won’t necessarily notice the new one(s) that take its place.

The guilds I was in saw a massive surge in members when guild finder was introduced. They’ve all been at near capacity ever since and there is a very regular culling of inactive players to free up guild slots.

TL:DR show me the numbers
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

It’s all apocryphal and, thus, irrelevant. Only ZOS know the reality of player numbers and you sense that even they don’t trust the data as they would surely ensure that the servers were capable of meeting demand if they did.

Just to refute the basic assumption that fewer people are playing. You will always notice when someone around you, who you are familiar with, leaves. You will only rarely notice when a new player joins.

The same with guilds. You will notice when a guild you are familiar with closes, you won’t necessarily notice the new one(s) that take its place.

The guilds I was in saw a massive surge in members when guild finder was introduced. They’ve all been at near capacity ever since and there is a very regular culling of inactive players to free up guild slots.

Tldr, just look at PvP. It doesn't take much to realize half the game, the PvP side, the side they advertise super hard at release is shriveled up and dying.

Another post saying there is no proof from you position with your head under a rock and buried in the sand
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    siddique wrote: »
    OMG can they please close this thread.

Everyone playing a handful of broken/exploiting cookiecutter builds made this game broken and bland. They fixed it, get over it, and move on.

80-100k dps burning through vet content to the point that you don't need heals or tank is broken. Nuff said it got nerfed. Get over it.

Clearly you did not read the thread, lol. No one, not a single person said it's because of nerfs. Please read before you embarrass yourself like that.

Literally the first page I found 4 complaining that people were leaving because nerfs. Even the OP mentioned it.

Please read the ENTIRE thread before you embarrass yourself like this.

Lol, this is where you prove my point. I am the OP, you didn't even know that. Everyone says it's not the nerfs, it's the directionless attitude of ZOS.

But no, tell me more.

You prove jack and crap, And jack left town a long time ago. I could quote the many post about how people on this forum blames it on the nerfs, but I am not doing the work for you. Even you said
    Is it perhaps because of the absolute clueless attitude of ZOS? Like triggering people because they can't figure out what they are doing patch after patch?

Implying that it is the dps nerfs. Since these are the only nerfs that seem to be "triggering" (ugh cringe) people.

And FYI look on steam charts there is Actively 12k players on per hour as of Oct 2019 vs the 7k there were in 2017...so yeah it is dying. You should totally quit.

So in essence quit whining and buck up buttercup.

"Perhaps"
    perhaps
    /pəˈhaps/
    Learn to pronounce
    adverb
    used to express uncertainty or possibility.

"Absolute clueless attitude"
    In which parallel universe clueless attitude "implies" nerfs and not "directionless" behavior?

Also, if you read my original post, it says right there "this is NOT a I quit thread" so your comment of I should totally quit is stupid as well.

What are you? 5?

"Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Tldr, just look at PvP. It doesn't take much to realize half the game, the PvP side, the side they advertise super hard at release is shriveled up and dying.

Another post saying there is no proof from you position with your head under a rock and buried in the sand

Show me the numbers.

Anything else is just apocryphal and means nothing.
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like to reiterate that this is not a statistics class about people asking to see numbers. It can very well be said otherwise, to show numbers that population has NOT declined.

I made this thread after three of the top five guilds disbanded on PS4, one with 1500 people spanning over three guilds with at least 70/80 percent population active. It is no longer the case.

Also, I did not say that newer population is not coming in the game, I said endgame vet players seem to have dropped drastically.

Its getting harder to find a team to do content like vCR or vSS.
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that the game is split into PvP and PvE doesn't make the PvP section equal half of the activity, and I don't believe it ever was. Moreover, every time people complain that PvP is dead and the campaigns empty they are talking about Cyrodiil, whereas a lot of the PvP activity is now focused on Battegrounds and, doubtless to a far lesser extent, duels and IC. That at least is how I read the PvP situation based on what I see on the forum, as I don't engage in PvP myself. Cyrodiil will doubtless enjoy a renaissance if ZOS can fix the performance there, but to say that PvP is dying seems to me to be unsubstantiated and erroneous when you look at PvP as a whole, and not just at Cyrodiil.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all there is really to go by is concurrent steam numbers vs steam sales vs total sales.

according to steam the steam sales of eso are 2 million-5 million. Say ~3 million of the 13 million claimed.

so thats 18-23% or so of zos sales being conservativve. You could argue that steam concurrent represent 15-20% of all concurrent players.

so i would estimate the total concurrent peak population on all platforms to be about 100,000-150,000 concurrent players/ ~500k active population currently and around 250,000 peak eso or about 750k active population. Not bad by any means.

while im pretty sure there has been a drop overall i think it has more to do with natural game rythims where sales tend to decline after a while no matter what you do because everyone who wanted it has it by now.

the only thing zos can do now is bring back older players who played before and moved on but to do this i think they will need to redesign the endgame with new and better gameplay systems and of course better performance which would be a gamble.

Like it or not a few of this games core systems are very anti player and thats where their focus should be.

It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to reiterate that this is not a statistics class about people asking to see numbers. It can very well be said otherwise, to show numbers that population has NOT declined.

I made this thread after three of the top five guilds disbanded on PS4, one with 1500 people spanning over three guilds with at least 70/80 percent population active. It is no longer the case.

Also, I did not say that newer population is not coming in the game, I said endgame vet players seem to have dropped drastically.

First, ‘seems’ is highly subjective, it has no genuine value in terms of whether player numbers of any type are increasing or decreasing.

Not sure about vSS, but vCR has been around for over a year. The numbers of endgame level players who have been there, got the gear, and the T-shirts has risen (from zero to more than zero). Because of their very nature (they like challenge) these players will move on to new content that excites them or only do it as part of paid, achievement selling groups, so the pool of available, interested players might be reduced. The pool of players to do vCR is further diminished by the requirement that players have stupid DPS and/or already know all the mechanics, which prevents newer players from joining.

But that’s all my *** apocryphal thinking with no basis in reality. It might be 100% accurate or 110% total bollocks.

You want to make a case, show me the numbers
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

First, ‘seems’ is highly subjective, it has no genuine value in terms of whether player numbers of any type are increasing or decreasing.

Not sure about vSS, but vCR has been around for over a year. The numbers of endgame level players who have been there, got the gear, and the T-shirts has risen (from zero to more than zero). Because of their very nature (they like challenge) these players will move on to new content that excites them or only do it as part of paid, achievement selling groups, so the pool of available, interested players might be reduced. The pool of players to do vCR is further diminished by the requirement that players have stupid DPS and/or already know all the mechanics, which prevents newer players from joining.

But that’s all my *** apocryphal thinking with no basis in reality. It might be 100% accurate or 110% total bollocks.

I agree that it's been around sometime now but it still remains the hardest content in the game to date. +3 obviously.
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • Rampeal
    Rampeal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG can they please close this thread.

Everyone playing a handful of broken/exploiting cookiecutter builds made this game broken and bland. They fixed it, get over it, and move on.

80-100k dps burning through vet content to the point that you don't need heals or tank is broken. Nuff said it got nerfed. Get over it.

Clearly you did not read the thread, lol. No one, not a single person said it's because of nerfs. Please read before you embarrass yourself like that.

Literally the first page I found 4 complaining that people were leaving because nerfs. Even the OP mentioned it.

Please read the ENTIRE thread before you embarrass yourself like this.

Lol, this is where you prove my point. I am the OP, you didn't even know that. Everyone says it's not the nerfs, it's the directionless attitude of ZOS.

But no, tell me more.

You prove jack and crap, And jack left town a long time ago. I could quote the many post about how people on this forum blames it on the nerfs, but I am not doing the work for you. Even you said
    Is it perhaps because of the absolute clueless attitude of ZOS? Like triggering people because they can't figure out what they are doing patch after patch?

Implying that it is the dps nerfs. Since these are the only nerfs that seem to be "triggering" (ugh cringe) people.

And FYI look on steam charts there is Actively 12k players on per hour as of Oct 2019 vs the 7k there were in 2017...so yeah it is dying. You should totally quit.

So in essence quit whining and buck up buttercup.

"Perhaps"
    perhaps
    /pəˈhaps/
    Learn to pronounce
    adverb
    used to express uncertainty or possibility.

"Absolute clueless attitude"
    In which parallel universe clueless attitude "implies" nerfs and not "directionless" behavior?

Also, if you read my original post, it says right there "this is NOT a I quit thread" so your comment of I should totally quit is stupid as well.

What are you? 5?

Aww you can copy paste a dictionary page so well. How cute. You must be proud lmao😆😂.

And yes you asked a question
    I'm just trying to figure out if I should invest more time and money or maybe finally move on and wait for a new Elder Scrolls :/

And I gave you a answer.

Also what guilds? Because I know the top PvP/PvE guilds on Ps4 and they are as strong as ever. And if you were in these so called "Top Guilds" and they disbanded I can guarantee that they lied to you.

Have a good day sir.
    Edited by Rampeal on November 6, 2019 12:33PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree that it's been around sometime now but it still remains the hardest content in the game to date. +3 obviously.

Everything is hard the first time you do it. It becomes easier the more you do it. After a while you forget it was even difficult. Eventually it becomes ordinary.

At that point, you might want to move on to something else to replicate that original feeling. I know I often do.

I’ve always found there was a sweet spot about 2 weeks after the release of content, when people have done the content, but it’s still a collaborative effort and you are trying to find the best solutions together. I find that really fun. After that it all goes downhill and everyone suddenly expects you to ‘know’ how to do it in the approved cookie cutter way and it gets progressively less interesting to me. I imagine that is how top endgame players feel after they have been running the same trials for a year.

I think the issue for really good endgamers is similar to any challenge driven person, they really enjoy the ‘breaking’ of the challenge, the figuring it out and mastering it and they’ll put a load of effort and time into cracking it. But once it’s cracked, the real excitement is over and everything else is downhill until the next challenge. And they are so active (and their numbers are relatively small) that ZOS can’t afford to produce enough content to stimulate them constantly (and that’s not knocking ZOS, it’s true of every gaming company). So they go dormant, or move on, until the next challenge comes along, at which point they might come back for a bit. And that is a perfectly ‘normal’ process in a game that has been going for 5 years.

Maybe the real challenge is not to worry about that, but to do something to encourage talented, but less driven players to step up and take part in the vCR +3 or vSS runs.

• DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TragedyOA wrote: »
    Some streamers are moving on to other games. :/

Well, I'm not moving on to other games. ESO is one of my favorite games I enjoy streaming. It's superior to the other fantasy games like 'Neverwinter' or 'Dungeon and Dragons Online.'

^This^

No other MMO gives you more lore than ESO. No other MMO let's you play as a werewolf or Vampire. No other MMO looks nearly as good or has better combat mechanics as ESO.

The all screaming "The End is Nigh!" Will be the first to preorder the next expansion

what u mean playing as vampire? XDD u just using it only for passives, there is no any gameplay + u have garbage skills
    werewolf gameplay? u only using 2 skills and spam light attack so its garbage either

im not gonna say about lore [snip] where u can running as werewolf/vampire in city and thats not a problem BUT when necro will use 1 skill...oh jezuz

[Edit to remove profanity]]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on October 29, 2021 11:51PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all I could give a crap about overall numbers or new players, what matters to me is the number of friends and guild mates that are no longer playing. So stick your proof requests.
  • pdeb360
    pdeb360
    ✭✭
    The combatteam got no clue wth they are doing. Buff de AOE > nerf the AOE and buff the dots > Nerf the Dots. Thats in shot what happend last few updates/patches. There is no long term strategy, clearely they lack good employees.
  • Fallen_Ray
    Fallen_Ray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some may reply to your post sayind "I always find people". But fail to notice your point. I do, I play on PS4. Few weeks back used to find groups for trials with ease. Same for Vet dungeon pledges. Yesterday the Dragonnerf patch dropped on PS4. And i can say I did see a colossal decline in population compared to a few weeks back.

Capital cities weren't as lively. Queues for dungeons left you on a forever waiting state. The players could've left due to this patch in protest, maybe some just felt that their time trying to have a good build was literally defecated upon by ZO$ (in my opinion they did).

If you ask me the current patch suck overinflated cow mammary glands, big time. I still play the game because I recently got a friend of mine into it a month ago and hes just hooked on the stuff. If it weren't because of him. I would've gone to Final Fantasy XiV, Black Dessert Online or any other game. Because I'm fed up with ZO$. They just think about money, that excrement-bloody putrefacted Green paper and metal alloy coins.
    Edited by Fallen_Ray on November 6, 2019 2:06PM
    "Dear brother, I do not spread rumors, I create them"- Lucien Lachance
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    server issues. Ive been playing since beta but now im ready to quit
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just came to post, “apocryphal” again. ;)

S.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pdeb360 wrote: »
    The combatteam got no clue wth they are doing. Buff de AOE > nerf the AOE and buff the dots > Nerf the Dots. Thats in shot what happend last few updates/patches. There is no long term strategy, clearely they lack good employees.

thats not true at all. The wanted a distinction between aoe and single target in an effort to reduce resource hog aoes so they buffed single target and everyone went nuts so they reverted that and increased aoe costs instead.

thats all it was.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the beginning of the end?
    Error: This account is already logged in.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At this point, I think they should probably just move us all to the US server and be done with it.

We might have to rename some of our characters, but oh well.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waves and cycles. Ebbing and flowing. Nothing lasts forever and guilds come and go.

With regards to the guilds, the old ones that have folded, usually the leader(s) has taken them as far they can - they have all the gear, all the gold, all the fame - there's nothing left except nerfs and continued performance issues and fake promises that "it will get sorted but no ETA" - its a crock of s****. There's nothing left for them so they move on and without their charisma and knowledge, the things that successful guild leaders have. when thats gone - the guild dissolves.

But new people come along. They get hooked. The cycle repeats itself. :)
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Indoril_Nerevar
    Indoril_Nerevar
    ✭✭✭
    I am very glad you have pointed this out.

You will see others reply with nonsense like:

What do you mean?

...I think its more lively than ever....

Not sure where you are getting this from

This may be PC or PS4 player opinions but nonetheless,

ARE they the kind of player that ARE IN FACT dropping like flies or ARE they the kind of players that stick around?

With this being said, you must now ask yourself:

"In a time like this, than, what kind of players are still sticking around? And what are the majority of them like?"

That is why players are quitting rapidly. The time and money grabs and grinds that ESO have do not compare to the community of players that make the game no longer fun; it becomes the straw that broke the Camel's back.

This is a very bad time, indeed.

Game modes are being stacked and cheated. Friends grouping up to ruin it for a few but benefit the rest of themselves. Trials and even Public Dungeons are being sold for carries.

The average player's experience is that the average player is "toxic" or a "troll" or a "cheat".

Cyrodiil and Imperial City/ Alliance Points in General are just being farmed by small circles of friends and guilds who happen to be the only few people who still play PvP to begin with.

Multiple consoles, accounts: One person.

Over aged individuals, politically biased or gnerally racist: repeating the same things everyday

People with weird power trips or ways of reasoning - almost like youre meetin the same *** up over and over again. People catch on, they get sick of it, see a pattern, move on and quit.

A lot of people are just simply incompatible to be around or play with.

...And we just never experienced it this badly in other MMO's. So, yes it is "silly nonsense" as I put it, when we play the same games and somehow these people don't know what you are posting about.

They clearly do. It's just all apart of the community. That's what I am teling you.

A good player was hard to come by before. Someone you can play a game with properly.

But, now they are a rare breed and a treasure.

Edited by Indoril_Nerevar on November 6, 2019 4:17PM
  • Indoril_Nerevar
    Indoril_Nerevar
    ✭✭✭
    -
    Edited by Indoril_Nerevar on November 6, 2019 4:17PM
  • Indoril_Nerevar
    Indoril_Nerevar
    ✭✭✭
    People really dislike it when these threads hit top of the chart. Let that remind you of the community I speak of..
  • probabkyravi
    probabkyravi
    ✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil population has more than halved since Ebony Blade was removed 2 years ago.

• richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I play less and less is because with the upheaval of builds all my gear needs to be replaced.

I don't mind this in and of itself, it is part of playing the game, but I have nowhere to put my old gear, and as it is still decent, just not meta, I have to weigh up decon'ing it, vs farming new. If I could rack it up somewhere like an armory, I'd be playing again and refarming.

I have many 'characters' but most are simply builds. I'd prefer have 6 characters (one of each class) with multiple builds but ESO doesn't let me do that. So I log in and see a list of writ jockeys and only a handful of characters. I log in, do writs, log out and wonder why I did that. That is generally the extent of my playtime. In events I may satisfy event requirements for tickets.

For me to care about this game I'd want to see the ability to merge up to 3 characters into 1. Resulting in that 1 character getting the option of 3 different racials and 3+ different build profiles and each character being able to rack up weapons / armor to their own collectible tab. Cost of racking up an item is that it cannot be unracked (withdrawn and given to an alt) and you can only store one of each type (no two daggers, no two rings).
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are several things which made me quit. Performance makes PvP horrible, Battlegrounds are lackluster with no proper matchmaking and only 4v4v4 gamemodes, lack of challenging solo or duo content with proper rewards (vMA release was years ago and we got nothing since then) and so many class abilities got pruned down for no reason (for example Surprise Attack/Funnel Health losing some core features which were somehow fine for years or adding cast times to ultimates which 90% of the community didn't like), they literally do the same mistakes which WoW did. I honestly don't recognize the game which I loved to play anymore.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Show me the numbers.

Anything else is just apocryphal and means nothing.

Lol @FierceSam just open your eyes. I don't have to show you any numbers because zos doesn't release numbers so you asking for them is like asking for me to unplug the sun.

I have been playing this game since it's release, so I have WATCHED the amount of players dwindle. If you think the population is not dwindling it just shows you are a very new player, probably only playing a year or so.

How about you show me proof and numbers that it is not dying. Since I know for a fact it is, how about you prove it is not to me. Because you don't have numbers either anything you say is apocryphal and means nothing
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on November 7, 2019 12:33PM
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what's the plan? All the big guilds seem to be disbanding or have disbanded on PS4, I have heard of an exodus pre dragonhold on PC as well. All the veteran players seem to have lost interest or just stopped bothering

Whats your source and what guilds are you referring too?

I belong to several large guilds and we're all busy with events/trials so I'm at a loss with your statement. If you're referring to Magic's disbandment, the guild leader was a little too pretentious in my opinion.