The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Uppercut

Morgha_Kul
Morgha_Kul
✭✭✭✭✭
So... what was the point of changing Uppercut? I loved its knockback effect. It felt powerful, which was VERY appropriate for some of my characters (my Nord berzerker, in particular). Now... it sets the foe off balance, so I have to Heavy Attack him to stun him for... a fraction of a second? The morph now has no use at all... and the other morph never did have any use, so what exactly is the point of this now?

Ruined it, they have, and I can't fathom why.
Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you really want to know:

Last update they overnerfed Hidden Blade, Low Slash and Puncture as spammables while they triple buffed Dizzy (-0.2s cast time, lower cost, +9% dmg [which btw was still lower than half a year before])

Stam players of cause flocked to it because it was the last good spammable for some classes (sorcs, dk, wardens etc.)

People read it more often on their death recap bc it was easier to use and used more often (remember: other spams sucked). So they came here and cried nerf.

ZOS came up with a lazy excuse and used the 50-60% DoT nerfs as scapegoat ("we nerfed dizzy and flurry because it exceeded dot standards").

ZOS softened the DoT nerf but didn't reevaluated Flurry and Dizzy.

Also they *** up with the knockback CC, taking it off of some skills while buffing others, e.g. Templar's Spear to ignore resistances. Yey.

Instead of realizing this skill is overnerfed parts of the community tried to sell it as a buff (you can control the CC better blabla.; if you run a suboptimal CP Dizzy build you gain easy off balance access which is a buff) completely ignoring that it does nothing for most builds (tactician, no cp) etc.

Tl;dr:

#1 nerfed alternatives made DS heavily used
    #2 CC break issues
    #3 DoT excuse
    #4 forum tears
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on October 22, 2019 9:21AM
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »

Probably same person that thought Fighter guild trap should only immobilize (ya know, the primary function of a bear trap) for 2 seconds. We can’t have skills do anything interesting. Everything must be grey paste
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    The knockback was removed because ZoS is separating spammable/burst skills with cc. Stuns have been removed from power lash, crystal drags, etc. True stuns are now only attached to lower damage skills.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say its lag control as break free and lag dont go together so why fix lag when you can just remove things from skills that causes the use of something that lag prevents
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The knockback was removed because ZoS is separating spammable/burst skills with cc. Stuns have been removed from power lash, crystal drags, etc. True stuns are now only attached to lower damage skills.

This is the superficial answer, and the correct one, but I think it goes a little deeper than this.

Basically, the skill combined with onslaught was pushing every other option for stamina builds out. It's actually astonishing how much stam builds were stagnant in Scalebreaker. I don't really think it was either the damage or the stun that was the problem with dswing, since those were more or less okay to me -- with the exception of ZOS's ideal of balance, which would disagree -- but the true meat of the issue lies with the utterly inescapable combination of this skill and the 2h ultimate.

Whether this is the cause or the effect of the answer above, though, is up in the air. I don't think it matters. What matters is that we can move on from such an oppressive stam meta.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rahar wrote: »

This is the superficial answer, and the correct one, but I think it goes a little deeper than this.

Basically, the skill combined with onslaught was pushing every other option for stamina builds out. It's actually astonishing how much stam builds were stagnant in Scalebreaker. I don't really think it was either the damage or the stun that was the problem with dswing, since those were more or less okay to me -- with the exception of ZOS's ideal of balance, which would disagree -- but the true meat of the issue lies with the utterly inescapable combination of this skill and the 2h ultimate.

Whether this is the cause or the effect of the answer above, though, is up in the air. I don't think it matters. What matters is that we can move on from such an oppressive stam meta.

Oppressive stam meta

>ignores the herds of magplars in cyrodiil and bgs.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

Oppressive stam meta

>ignores the herds of magplars in cyrodiil and bgs.

I most certainly don't. Check my posts. I complain about them enough.

When I mention an oppressive stam meta, I mean to stam players exclusively. If you didn't pick dswing in Scalebreaker, you couldn't compete as stam.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I believe they talked about it and a lot of combat related things in the second half of their twitch stream months ago. I think it's this one
    www.twitch.tv/videos/416797847
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 22, 2019 10:48PM
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So am I hearing that this is because of PvP?

How was this skill even USEFUL in PvP? It takes so long to activate, you just block and it does nothing.

In any case, I find myself really ticked off that something FUN was killed because of PvP whining. Zathras can never have anything nice.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • SentinelRose
    Uppercut just as well as some other abilities just got ruined. Wont be on my bar anymore. Also 2h just lost its personality.
  • scottii
    scottii
    ✭✭✭

so just reduce the damage of DS to make it on par with similar abilities.
    Praying the Daedric Gods will make Cyrodiil great again.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scottii wrote: »

They did, now you got to medium weave for a stun. It lost 16% dmg but gained 10% all dmg via passives in cp.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

They did, now you got to medium weave for a stun. It lost 16% dmg but gained 10% all dmg via passives in cp.

Only in CP and only if you didn't used Tactician before. In every other scenario (no CP cyro, BG, CP + tactician) you simply lost 16% flat.
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    next
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only in CP and only if you didn't used Tactician before. In every other scenario (no CP cyro, BG, CP + tactician) you simply lost 16% flat.

And? That dmg was from a time where the skill was a 1.1s channel, it got changed to 0.8s channel and kept its previous dmg.
    PS4 EU DC

• Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So am I hearing that this is because of PvP?

How was this skill even USEFUL in PvP? It takes so long to activate, you just block and it does nothing.

In any case, I find myself really ticked off that something FUN was killed because of PvP whining. Zathras can never have anything nice.

somebody never PvP... lol

the stun and knockback is a killer in PvP.

not a lot of people can/will block in the zerg fest that is PvP.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And? That dmg was from a time where the skill was a 1.1s channel, it got changed to 0.8s channel and kept its previous dmg.

No, it wasn't. They already adjusted the damage twice form when it was 1.1s. Someone who so avidly defends the nerf should know that.

This is the third time in a row, seems like Zeni doesn't know what they want with DS either.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... what was the point of changing Uppercut? I loved its knockback effect. It felt powerful, which was VERY appropriate for some of my characters (my Nord berzerker, in particular). Now... it sets the foe off balance, so I have to Heavy Attack him to stun him for... a fraction of a second? The morph now has no use at all... and the other morph never did have any use, so what exactly is the point of this now?

My friend is also depressed about the change but we completely slaughtered kids last night.

Uppercut still 2 shots + execute most people not playing in a ball group.

So imagine how stupidly powerful it was before? It had a knock back effect, holy crap!!! It was stacked, simple. They did the same job on clench. It would deal direct damage and knock back... Add master's staff and you got a strong spammable that CC's. It makes no sense for your spammable to stun, too easy to melt people.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭

Look at the damage on non ultimate skills that stun. They deal about half the damage of a true spammable. You do not want the damage of dizzy nerfed to that level.
  • kalunte
    kalunte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deserved tweak. Next.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once upon a time I could front bar sword & board and use La heroic bash combos as an alternative to dizzying swing. Then Zeni ruined sword & board for no other reason than to make it unviable as anything other than a buff/debuff backbar.

Truth is stam players got pigeonholed into dizzying swing because Zeni took away the alternatives or made the DPS so weak they couldn’t be competitive. Duel wield? Now it’s best used as a utility backbar. Sword and board? Same issue. Bow? Good luck using that on front bar unless you’re a NB.

So we end up with poop fist, bleed birds and a stam pet that deal 400 dmg head butts. No thanks.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on October 23, 2019 4:23PM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Actually its damage got nerfed many times over.
  • bakermir
    bakermir
    ✭✭✭
    While removing knockback on dizzying swing from 2h and drain shot from bow, developers have completely ignored the knockback from destro staff REACH skill.

Now every zergling is spamming and abusing reach. Great balancing!

Imagine a stam player having the luxury reach(knockback) into silence into fear combo. yep thats 3 bloody cc's you can combo while you have to weave medium attack after landing a dizzy and pray the magicka player or WARDEN doesn't cleanse "off-balance" debuff or simply roll-dodge so you can cc your opponent once which is just 2 seconds stun and you lose that duration to secure ultimate hit since they have a CAST TIME TOO.
    Edited by bakermir on October 23, 2019 4:24PM
    EU PC SOTHA SIL/BAHLOKDAAN
    • DC * imperial stamdk/emperor magdk * twitch-bakermir
    • DC * breton magsorc * twitch bakermir
    • DC * orcerer * Tyro Tyro Tyro Tyro
    • DC * altmer bomblade * Brings-you-democracy

<REMOVE FACTION LOCK>
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bakermir wrote: »
    While removing knockback on dizzying swing from 2h and drain shot from bow, developers have completely ignored the knockback from destro staff REACH skill.

Now every zergling is spamming and abusing reach. Great balancing!

Imagine a stam player having the luxury reach(knockback) into silence into fear combo. yep thats 3 bloody cc's you can combo while you have to weave medium attack after landing a dizzy and pray the magicka player or WARDEN doesn't cleanse "off-balance" debuff or simply roll-dodge so you can cc your opponent once which is just 2 seconds stun and you lose that duration to secure ultimate hit since they have a CAST TIME TOO.

If yo choose the cc on reach is has very low dmg.
    PS4 EU DC

• xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Reach is the DoT morph, it doesn't stun. Clench is the morph that stuns, and only on Inferno staff.

Playing in Cyro since the patch hit, I've only come across one person using Uppercut, a NB at that.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Reach is the DoT morph, it doesn't stun. Clench is the morph that stuns, and only on Inferno staff.

Playing in Cyro since the patch hit, I've only come across one person using Uppercut, a NB at that.

Shows how much people were crutching on it then. Its not exactly super hard to randomly medium weave every so often when you want the cc.
    PS4 EU DC

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Shows how much people were crutching on it then. Its not exactly super hard to randomly medium weave every so often when you want the cc.

Shows how overnerfed it is. Issue isn't the CC, issue is the dmg.
  • Nicalas
    Nicalas
    ✭✭✭

It only pushed out other options because ZOS wrecked bleed builds and snb skill line. What other stamina build options existed? The only class with a remotely unique kit is stamplar. They have delayed burst, class stun, and a melee spammable. No other class has these things. You had 3 build options bleeds, snb weave, dizzy. Two of them were removed in a previous patch. Dizzy wasn't overpowered they just destroyed any competition in the previous patches.

How about stamina gets spammables that aren't ranged? I don't wanna throw rocks, call pigeons, or launch flaming skulls. We want to swing our weapons and slash opponents. How about we make an useful stamina ultimate. Dawnbreaker is easier to block than Meteor and Onslaught needs to follow burst and a cc. There is nothing else. Dual Wield ult is a dot that can be dodged and purged. Ballista can be los'd, dodged, blocked, cloaked. It's not as simple as slotting turn evil. The skill is ridiculously expensive, does no damage. It's basically a wasted GCD. If you can't kill a Magplar or Magsorc in 2 GCD's they are gonna fully heal and melt your face.
  • kalunte
    kalunte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was overpowered = everyone started spamming it.

Isn't overpowered anymore = everyone drops it.

The skill is viable anyway.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nicalas wrote: »

It only pushed out other options because ZOS wrecked bleed builds and snb skill line. What other stamina build options existed? The only class with a remotely unique kit is stamplar. They have delayed burst, class stun, and a melee spammable. No other class has these things. You had 3 build options bleeds, snb weave, dizzy. Two of them were removed in a previous patch. Dizzy wasn't overpowered they just destroyed any competition in the previous patches.

How about stamina gets spammables that aren't ranged? I don't wanna throw rocks, call pigeons, or launch flaming skulls. We want to swing our weapons and slash opponents. How about we make an useful stamina ultimate. Dawnbreaker is easier to block than Meteor and Onslaught needs to follow burst and a cc. There is nothing else. Dual Wield ult is a dot that can be dodged and purged. Ballista can be los'd, dodged, blocked, cloaked. It's not as simple as slotting turn evil. The skill is ridiculously expensive, does no damage. It's basically a wasted GCD. If you can't kill a Magplar or Magsorc in 2 GCD's they are gonna fully heal and melt your face.

There's a lot of bad points and hyperbole here, but I'll try and tackle everything.

The only stamina skills that were really toned down recently is heroic slash and puncture, which arguably had the same problem as dswing; it pushed a lot of other options out because it offered good damage, great utility, and both defense as well as offense. I think there definitely was a reason to tone this skill line down, because it offered too much. Whether they went too far or not is a different matter. I also think there's a widespread confusion surrounding what is actually competitive and what is unquestionably overperforming. Compound this with the fact that other skills, including magicka skills (Reach), that offered too much were also toned down, and you can come full-circle to the understanding that abilities that do too much are becoming a target for the new balancing team. I, like a lot of other people, consider this to be a pretty healthy and agreeable approach.

However, the unwillingness to see other options is not mine nor anyone else's fault. There are things that work. The new dswing still hits hard (2h is still ludicrously strong as a weapon line), and dual wield has always been somewhat good. Magicka uses elemental weapon as a spammable in a lot of cases. There's a stamina morph of this. Now you just won't get your stun, your damage, and your spammable all in one. It's something that will take a little adjusting to, but overall is a good direction for the game, and stamina dswing builds have finally joined the party.

What actually brings in to picture how out of touch you are with the dichotomy between mag and stam are the examples you give. Learning to time block with a meteor is one of the first things I learned to do when I started to play PvP, and continue to do to this day. It's actually rather hard to get hit directly with this skill, unless it's also followed by a streak or a well-timed stun. I don't think you'll find a lot of players that would disagree with this. DB was a different case, I think. That skill was probably taken out of a lot of builds because of a small damage nerf and there being way better options that came into play. Onslaught, for example; Onslaught was different. In the majority of the cases where the dswing + onslaught combo was used, it was impossible to break stun fast enough to dodge the ultimate due to the knockback effect.
    NeRf MaGsOrC