Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do you play with mouse and keyboard in ESO?

Davor
Davor
✭✭✭✭✭
This may sound like a stupid question, but as someone who uses a controller most of the time, I just can't seem to be able to use a mouse and keyboard. So I tried again to use mouse and keyboard and it's still so foreign for me. Yes, I know it's like "riding a bike". Thing is, I could never really use a mouse and keyboard when playing TES games and always used a controller be it on console or PC. So for me it's like I never knew how to ride a bike. It's hard to learn if never taught.

So, since for lots of us, it's easy to ride a bike, something we do instinctively, just like walking. Thing is, if you never learned, it is very tough. So my question is how do people use their mouse and keyboard. I mean really think what you are doing. Please don't say just "practice" since I have tired it but since I never could do it, I just keep "falling off the bike" or failing since I keep dying all the time to mud crabs.

So if you like to help, please actually explain what you do. I have finally got the basics of walking. I can shoot with my right mouse button and block with the left mouse button. Now I have problems with using the number keys from 1-5. So how is it done? On controller it's easy for me because I can move and shoot at the same time. It seems on keyboard and mouse, you have to "stop" and then attack. This for me is so weird. Like how to you move? For me with a controller, I am using my left thumb on the left thumb stick to move. I can easily move forwards, backwards, left right, what ever. On Key board I use my right hand on the WASD keys. Thing is, if I want to move sideways I have to leg go of the W key and then use A or S to do so. I can't do both at the same time. Then I even can't cast a spell since if I am side stepping or moving I can't cast a spell. To cast a spell (1-5 keys) I need to stop. I hope this makes someone understand what I am going through.

With a controller I can easily move easily as well as use my spells. Since on the controller we can move with one hand and use spells with the other hand. With mouse and keyboard, it's is mostly use one hand to move, and use spells. It's like my brain is saying on keyboard and mouse, I can't move and use spells at the same time but on controller I can.

So say, I know how to pedal, but I am still sloppy by not being able to keep straight and I wobble. By that I can move no problems going forward, but I fall because I stop when trying to turn. So what are the steps people do when they walk/run? What are the steps people do to side step and go foraward/backward at the same time? How do you rub your head and tap your belly or move and shoot at the same time with mouse and keyboard?

Sadly I need to ask for something that seems so simple but for me, I am an old fart who could never get use to mouse and keyboard because of being a lefty so used a controller for the last 20 years or so.

TL;DR

Please tell me step by step how to move, side step and use spells at the same time.
Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, think of it as an MMO, not an Elder Scrolls game. I will play almost everything with a controller if I can, but not ESO... it just does not work for MMOs for me, I can't imagine it.

I don't think I'm capable of teaching you this, and I think people also do it differently (for example I know my friends with bigger hands have different number keys for they spammable, etc.) so to a certain degree you have to find what works for you. I can tell you that when I walk, my middle finger is on W or S, with ring and pointy finger using A and D respectively for walking/dodging. Although most movement you do by moving the camera, so really you only need one finger for walking. Thus I use index finger for most spells, ring for some and weapon swap, and middle finger rarely for spells also. Try copying that; keep one finger on W the whole time and don't let go, then run circles and try to use spells continuously. I know you don't want to hear 'just practice', but that's always the answer. It's important to stick with a certain setup for a while to give your brain a chance of having muscle memory kick in.
    Edited by Raisin on October 20, 2019 8:50PM
  • stojekarcub18_ESO
    stojekarcub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine playing this game with a controller...so limited
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a few people who use a controller even though they play on PC.... you can get some great modded controllers now.....
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question, but as someone who uses a controller most of the time, I just can't seem to be able to use a mouse and keyboard. So I tried again to use mouse and keyboard and it's still so foreign for me. Yes, I know it's like "riding a bike". Thing is, I could never really use a mouse and keyboard when playing TES games and always used a controller be it on console or PC. So for me it's like I never knew how to ride a bike. It's hard to learn if never taught.

So, since for lots of us, it's easy to ride a bike, something we do instinctively, just like walking. Thing is, if you never learned, it is very tough. So my question is how do people use their mouse and keyboard. I mean really think what you are doing. Please don't say just "practice" since I have tired it but since I never could do it, I just keep "falling off the bike" or failing since I keep dying all the time to mud crabs.

So if you like to help, please actually explain what you do. I have finally got the basics of walking. I can shoot with my right mouse button and block with the left mouse button. Now I have problems with using the number keys from 1-5. So how is it done? On controller it's easy for me because I can move and shoot at the same time. It seems on keyboard and mouse, you have to "stop" and then attack. This for me is so weird. Like how to you move? For me with a controller, I am using my left thumb on the left thumb stick to move. I can easily move forwards, backwards, left right, what ever. On Key board I use my right hand on the WASD keys. Thing is, if I want to move sideways I have to leg go of the W key and then use A or S to do so. I can't do both at the same time. Then I even can't cast a spell since if I am side stepping or moving I can't cast a spell. To cast a spell (1-5 keys) I need to stop. I hope this makes someone understand what I am going through.

With a controller I can easily move easily as well as use my spells. Since on the controller we can move with one hand and use spells with the other hand. With mouse and keyboard, it's is mostly use one hand to move, and use spells. It's like my brain is saying on keyboard and mouse, I can't move and use spells at the same time but on controller I can.

So say, I know how to pedal, but I am still sloppy by not being able to keep straight and I wobble. By that I can move no problems going forward, but I fall because I stop when trying to turn. So what are the steps people do when they walk/run? What are the steps people do to side step and go foraward/backward at the same time? How do you rub your head and tap your belly or move and shoot at the same time with mouse and keyboard?

Sadly I need to ask for something that seems so simple but for me, I am an old fart who could never get use to mouse and keyboard because of being a lefty so used a controller for the last 20 years or so.

TL;DR

Please tell me step by step how to move, side step and use spells at the same time.

you get a mmo mouse that has 10 buttons on the side.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Backlit-Programmable-Buttons/dp/B0086UK7IQ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mmo+mouse&qid=1571604938&sr=8-3
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll vary from person to person, and moreso for people who have mice that have buttons you can assign.

Here's my method (Though I'm right handed, so YMMV):
    I'll focus mostly on the left hand for movement/abilities.
    Pinky is always bar swap, tab, shift, crtl.
    Thumb is space bar, and c, v, b. If you need to swap something to another key like dodge roll, those keys work pretty well.

My method for forward movement is middle finger on the W key, ring finger for 1 and 2, pointer finger for 3, 4, and 5.
    For side movement to the left, ring finger holds down A, middle finger takes over 1 and 2.
    For side movement to the right, my middle finger jumps down to D, ring finger does 1, 2, and 3, while pointer finger does 4 and 5. I can try to do D with my pointer finger, but then its a big reach to hit my 5 with the middle finger.

Personally in PVE, I tend to kite/circle to the left because that's the easiest position for me to swap from W to A and back again. Because of that, I tend to set my spammables on the 3 and 4 slot because its easiest to reach those while circling.

Find something that's comfortable for you and then, as Raisin said, practice. I'd advise practicing on whatever level of boss you are comfortable soloing: delve, public dungeon, world boss, etc. The idea is to practice movement + DPS while avoiding the telegraphed attacks and/or kiting.
    Edited by VaranisArano on October 20, 2019 9:07PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the most important thing is to find a keyboard layout which works for you. There's no absolute right or wrong way to do it, the important thing is it's comfortable and seems logical to you so you can find the keys you need without looking or spending too long thinking about it.

For example some people will move the movement keys from W, A, S, D to E, S, D, F and then put their skills and things in a 'ring' around that, so they never have to move more than 1 key away from the movement keys.

I put all my skills and combat related stuff like weapon swap, dodge, synergy etc. onto the number pad and use the arrow keys to move, but that only works if you're left-handed because it needs the right hand on the keyboard.

Whatever setup you use will take some getting used to, whether that's a keyboard and mouse, an MMO mouse, a controller or anything else there's going to be an adjustment period, but I can generally tell when I've got a setup that's going to work because it's easy to remember what I've put where so it's just getting the muscle memory to make the right motions in the right order that takes practice.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SillyPlay
    SillyPlay
    ✭✭
    I can only play strategy/turn games with a mouse. I use a ps4 controller on pc. Most add-ons work with it. And just switch if I want to store search or quickly trade with someone.
    I have a mouse with 6 side buttons and tried it. Practicing did make it easier but I still can't move at same time.
    But I think if you just used a mouse on the game or other games from the start, it'd get easier
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    For some advice I would suggest going into your controls and mapping auto run to something that is quick and useful for you and make judicious use of it. You can press forward or backward at any time to stop it, but it can be useful for strafing.

Another tip is that, there is a reason why you'll see people bunny hopping a lot on pc (especially in pvp). While you're in the air you dont need to hold any button to go in the direction you wanted to go, you'll just keep moving. In this way you can press any buttons you like in mid air without having to hold wasd.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right hand on mouse, and I set the middle button to rolldodge, so that's a way to escape in a jiffy.
    Left hand is W A S D, and when fighting I can use my thumb as well, so for example I can use ability 3 and move right - and if you use the mouse to rotate the camera, you can move in basically a circle around your target. Then I can use 4 or 5 and use my pinky to move left with A, same principle.

Worst of all I guess is bar swapping, which I have set to left ALT, I sometimes miss that one and do something else if I'm not careful.

Based on this, I determine the order of my abilities, so usually 3 is a spammable, because it's easiest to reach while moving. 4 and 5 are other "frequent" skills. 1 and 2 are usually reserved for AOE/dots, or shields, basically stuff I start with before the enemy sees/engages with me, or stuff to use most rarely. You can also easily reach 1 and D to hit and move, but Idk, 3 just comes easiest for me.

Needless to say, this depends a great deal on your keyboard and hand size. I used to arrange my skills differently before I settled on this. You will notice in time what feels most comfortable for you. I have smol hands and I play on a laptop. If I played on a PC with a big keyboard, I'd possibly do it differently.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm left handed so mouse and keyboard is easy for me.
    left mouse button attack
    right mouse button switch bars
    middle button block
    scroll middle button up interrupts

I use the number pad for everything else

8 move forward
    2 move backwards
    4 move left
    6 move right
    0 jump
    + sprint
    3 sneak
    1 synergy
    9 ultimate
    left arrow skill 1
    down arrow skill 2
    right arrow skill 3
    up arrow skill 4
    Page Down skill 5
    Enter interact with environment

I use my thumb on my right hand for all the skills. I don't have to move my right hand at all because everything I need is right there in one place.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always played TES games with a mouse and keyboard, and have always found it awkward to use a game controller, so it's mostly just a question of what you're used to.

When learning to play a new game-- or learning to play a familiar game using an unfamiliar type of input device-- there can be a period of adjustment while you're learning which keys do what, and tattooing it in your brain so it can become second nature to you. I still experience brief periods of confusion when switching between ES games where certain common actions, such as interacting with an object and jumping, have been swapped around on the keys (spacebar versus E key). You can always remap the actions to different keys, but I like to stick to the default mappings.

It might make a difference whether you're left-handed or right-handed. I'm right-handed, so I use my right hand to control the mouse, and use my left hand to control the keyboard.

When I'm moving around, I usually keep my index finger on the W key, and use my middle finger to operate the 1, 2, or 3 key.

I tend to stop and stand still while fighting, since my main characters use a greatsword (NA) and a battle axe (EU), and you generally need to stop and stand still to swing those effectively. So if I'm in the middle of a fight, I'll take my index finger off of the W key and use it for the 3, 4, and 5 keys; I'll use my middle finger for the 1 key; and I'll use either finger for the 2 key based on whether I'm using 1 or 3 a lot-- that is, I'll try to keep one finger on either the 1 or 3, and use the other finger to alternate between 1 and 2, or between 2 and 3.

My Windows PC is currently out of commission, so I'm playing ESO on my MacBook Air. I've gotten in the habit of pulling the left side of the laptop closer to me, such that the keyboard is at an angle, so I can more easily rest my left hand on the desk and operate the keys. Thus, my left arm is to the left of the keyboard and my left hand is coming at the keys from the left, rather than my left arm being straight and my left hand coming at the keys from the front. When I was playing ESO on my desktop computer, I was pulling the keyboard toward me in the same manner, with the left side closer to me than the right.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I control movement and actions with my left hand on the keyboard with only a few keys changed from the default set up and still working on finding the ideal. I only use the mouse for the default but have additional buttons I could use. Starting ESO has been a learning experience for perhaps almost as much as it has you, for although I long used left hand keyboard for movement, in single player games as well as SWTOR and GW2 I still clicked on skills with the mouse, which is terrible to do, I know, especially when you can’t find the cursor in the heat of combat, but there always seemed too many things I would have to hotkey and would have made me play much worse until I got used to it. Starting ESO forced me to finally use the keyboard for combat and yeah, I really sucked at first, hitting all the wrong keys, but now it is feeling much more fluid and natural then all my clicking ever did. :)
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use the standard 1-2-3-4-5 keys for abilities and the key left of the 1 for bar swapping (not sure what it is on an English keyboard). Movement is WASD, and I swapped E (to jump) and Space (to activate). C is autorun, V is character sheet. Synergy, rolldodge, and bash are on mouse buttons (as is attack and block, of course).

I usually use the ring finger for buttons 1, 2 and bar swap - and yes, that has the effect that I don't move to the left while using those buttons. W, S, and D are still available. In the end, I just always circle Crematorial Guards moving to the right. They haven't complained so far.
    It may take a while to get used to but it works fine.
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm left handed, so I play I guess a little differently from many others, but I try to mirror what right handed PC players are doing

I move on IJKL
    Jump on space
    Use/Interact with environment on U
    Interact with other players on H
    Toggle mount on G
    Swap weapons on O (would use my mouse but the middle button is broken)
    Use abilites on 7890+(plus)
    Use Synergy on Y
    Use Ultimate on B
    Sprint on Æ
    Walk on Ø
    Crouch on N

Basically the keys I use are located to the middle to right side

As other's have said I cannot imagine playing with a controller even though my brother had suggested it to me, before I changed my keys to what they are now
  • Gnome_Saiyan
    Gnome_Saiyan
    ✭✭✭
    We play mouse and keyboard by using superior skill.

jk. I couldn't play with m & k to save my life.
    Roll your Self before you Role yourself
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been playing video games since before the modern controller, so I am the exact opposite from you. Mouse and keyboard are second nature to le while I have to think really hard on a controller. I have gotten ok enough on a controller to do easy normal dungeons and solo eaiser WB, but anything harder I'm floundering. That being said, trying to keep out my natural bias I believe the keyboard and mouse to be superior. That is because with a mouse and keyboard I can move, look and use all ability all at the same time which I can not on the controller (maybe my limitations, I'll admit). Like most, I use asdw to move my character. Shift to sprint. Bar swap is push middle button on the mouse, block right click, weapon left click. My mouse has 6 buttons on the left side which I have mapped for my 5 abalities on the bar plus ult. Mount and sneak are also mapped to the mouse with buttons next to the left mouse button (weapon). Without the buttons on the mouse, I don't see how mouse and keyboard would be anywhere near as useable as a controller... it really is the key.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to get an MMO or MOBA mouse with plenty of buttons on the side.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rungar wrote: »

TL;DR

you get a mmo mouse that has 10 buttons on the side.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Backlit-Programmable-Buttons/dp/B0086UK7IQ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mmo+mouse&qid=1571604938&sr=8-3

I can second this. I use a Razer Naga, but the concept is still the same. Skills are 1-6, except 3 which is bar swap, ult is 7, plus some add on keybindings on the mouse. Roll dodge is V, convenient for my thumb hit that or space bar for jump. Q is quickslot. WASD for movement. Play around with keybindings until you find something comfortable for your hands.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I've always played TES games with a mouse and keyboard, and have always found it awkward to use a game controller, so it's mostly just a question of what you're used to.

This.

I've been playing first-person games with M+K since mouse & keyboard first became a thing. WASD + Mouse is engrained into my psyche.

Meanwhile, I can't understand how anyone can play a first-person action game with a controller. I've had to skip a lot of apparently-great games on the PS2/3/4, because I can't hit the broad side of a barn with anything that involves accurate aiming. :D

(As for ESO - I don't use any fancy mice or other hardware, or make strange keybindings. I've used the default setup and a regular 2-button-and-scroll-wheel mouse forever. The way I grip a mouse, any of these "lots of buttons on the side" MMO mice would just be a disaster for me.)
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere wrote: »
    For some advice I would suggest going into your controls and mapping auto run to something that is quick and useful for you and make judicious use of it. You can press forward or backward at any time to stop it, but it can be useful for strafing.

Another tip is that, there is a reason why you'll see people bunny hopping a lot on pc (especially in pvp). While you're in the air you dont need to hold any button to go in the direction you wanted to go, you'll just keep moving. In this way you can press any buttons you like in mid air without having to hold wasd.

oh so thats why... i mean im not a roleplayer but that kinda moves puts me off the game.

and how people runs around people so fast? one moment someone ambushes, then they just start to circle around you very fast and jumping around.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use custom keybinds.

My setup:

Movement: WASD
    Ability 1: Q
    Ability 2: E
    Ability 3: C
    Ability 4: X
    Ability 5: Z
    Ultimate: R
    Consumable: Tab
    Weapon swap: Side mouse button 1
    Dodge roll: Side mouse button 2

I see too many people complain about KB+M without changing their keybinds. The default keybinds aren't designed to be optimal or ergonomic.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 20, 2019 11:23PM
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd tell you - but I can't get a set up that makes sense given I'm a PC MMO player that uses a mouse for movement (and have for a long time) in most other games - so using keys to move drives me up the wall - a controller for movement / combat + keyboard for other things would probably be the best set up.
  • CynicK
    CynicK
    ✭✭✭
    I give you my metod that works very well for me, gaming mouse with two butons at the side, those are in mele the spamable and the execute that are numbers 4 and 5 with bow instead of the execute i use scattering shot and poison arrow is number 1 and with staff i put spamable in the execute and cristal fragments at the position of the spamable to click when it is charged for consistency in both bars if i have cristal fragments on both; the little finger also as Raisin said swap bars with tab, couch and sprint, the second finger besides a to move at that side uses 1, 2 and 3 that are buffs or damage over time abilliteis that i do not use very often or after some time like the heals so most of the time i can move with total freedom exept when i have to use the second finger to activate an ability that i cannot move left but is not clicking all the time at most 1 and 2 and then a pause of some seconds. With practice i almost not need to move left when activating the avilities and i can use the mouse for turning.
    Is the game mouse i had so I adapted with less butons taking the two that you use more and put them in the mouse lets you move far better and the mouse is cheap.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there such a thing as a left-handed keyboard? I don't think I could play on a keyboard and mouse where the keyboard was completely reversed like it is for you. That said, you don't actually have to take your finger off W to move sideways, you can hold W down and then also press A or S and you will just change direction and keep moving. I use my ring finger for movement keys, my middle and index fingers for skills and my pinky finger to barswap on the tilde key.

I've had no problems doing this, it's been the same in any game, BUT!!! I am a piano player and was a professional typist/data entry clerk! I have a definite advantage in that department, decades of muscle memory helping. So honestly I think that what everyone is saying about rearranging keys to suit you is the best way to go, unless you have the money to spend on a fancy mouse.

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always played on PC so mouse and keyboard is what I started with.

I don't know how people play with a controller instead.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been using M&K for decades so it feels natural. Controllers feel clunky unless it is a game with very few functions, like the early Assassins Creed games.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MMO mouse and tweaking keybinds.

It feels much more natural to play with a mouse and keyboard, console controllers are so limited and honestly, very unintuitive how some functions are assigned
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes 4 to 8 hours of play to develop the muscle memory to make a control scheme comfortable. Even changing key assignments takes some time to get comfortable.

What can also help is to get an RGB programmable keyboard. I have my movement keys in one color, menu or information keys in another, skill command keys in another color. I use about 5 different colors.

Also, most games follow a similar key layout, and you can usually program the keys, unlike a lot of controller schemes. So, learning the keyboard on one game makes other games easier to pick up. I have a key layout I have been using for the past 20 years, roughly the same in all games.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play with my laptop's trackpad, like a MAN
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just rebind the keys to something that feels more natural for you. I have never ever used WASD to move in any game ever.

For me it feels more natural to use the cursor keys to move and i switched my other keybinds to keys in that area.
    But then again, i'm ambidextrous and use my left hand to control the mouse.

My key-binds are:

Forward: (Physical) Left Mouse button (mapped to logical right button because left-handed mouse)
    Attack: (Physical) Right Mouse button (mapped to logical left button because left-handed mouse)
    Back: Down Arrow
    Strafe Left: Left Arrow
    Strafe Right: Right Arrow
    Jump: Up Arrow
    Sprint: Num-0
    Crouch: CTRL
    Interrupt: Right Shift
    Skills 1-5: Backslash | Delete | End | Page Down | Num-4
    Ultimate: Home | Key on Naga Keypad
    Block: Key on Naga Keypad
    Quickslot: Backspace
    Interact: Enter