Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do you play with mouse and keyboard in ESO?

• Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tried a controller once...for about 3 minutes.
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must be young, if you grew up with games like this you’d be used to it lol

Have consoles not been around longer than computer games?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I alternate between a gamepad (PS4 controller) and a 12 key thumbpad mouse (razer naga). Xbox controller works straight out of the gate on a windows PC, PS3/4 controller requires third party software or Steam to work correctly. I don't like the feel of the Xbone controller at all I used to have motioninjoy until it stopped working, my firewall kept it from spamming me with ads so it didn't do squat in terms of annoyance. So now I linked my game to Steam which is both good and bad, can use the PS4 controller freely, but Steam has server issues from time to time.

My control scheme is this:

PS4 controller
    L1 = Sprint
    R1 = Jump
    L1 + R1 = Roll Dodge
    X/Cross = Interact
    L1 + X/Cross = Use Synergy, Werewolf Feed
    Circle, Triangle, Square, Direction Left, Direction Right = Action Keys
    Direction Up = Toggle Quests
    Direction Up HOLD = Interact with Player, Revive Player
    Direction Down = Ultimate
    Share Button = Quickslot
    Share Button HOLD = Quickslot Wheel
    L3 = Mount
    L3 HOLD = Crouch
    R3 = Weapon Swap
    R3 HOLD = Weapon Sheathe/Unsheathe

Direction Left HOLD, Direction Right HOLD, Direction Down HOLD (default switch first/third person view), Touchpad Left (default auto run), and Touchpad Right (default toggle run/walk) = Unused

Razer Naga, on 12 Key Thumbpad
    Shoulder Button 1 = Mount
    Shoulder Button 2 = Dodge Roll
    1, 2, 3, 4, 6 = Action Keys
    5 = Interact, Player Interact, Revive, Use Synergy (not sure how I did this, lol)
    7 = Quickslot, HOLD = Quickslot Wheel
    8 = Ultimate
    9 = Weapon Swap
    10 = Sprint
    11 = Jump
    12 = Crouch

Everything else, mostly non combat stuff like open map or auto-run is tied to the keyboard.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a hard enough time with a mouse with just one or two buttons on the side. Heck, I once got attacked by a Daggerfall guard while on my way to turn in my daily crafting items because I accidentally gripped the mouse too hard and pressed the right button without meaning to, causing me to suddenly do a blocking move that brushed against the guard with that red bubble or aura as I was passing him-- at least I think that's what happened. One second I have a bounty of 0 and am minding my own business, the next the guard is attacking me and chasing me down to the waterfront.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a player who played a lot pc before migrating to console I think it depends on skill but keyboard+mouse will always be a lot better than a controller. Controller, which can be more practical for some, limits you a lot.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must be in a very small minority as I prefer to use a controller on a Mac for most of the active parts of ESO - roaming about, questing, fighting etc (and then use the mouse and keyboard for crafting, inventory, chatting etc). I find it so much more fun than a mouse and keyboard.

If you are happiest with a controller, the PC/Mac game can be very effectively played with a controller. There are some nice add ons that help retain the best elements of both the console and m+k interfaces too. You might find this is the best solution for you.

If you want to use a mouse and keyboard, I would suggest looking at a good gaming mouse that will enable you to map a load of basic moves to your mouse.

After that it’s a case of configuring your keyboard so it works for you and practicing.

Good luck and have fun
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of different layouts here. I use 1-5 for skills, Z for ultimate, 9,0 for bar swaps, Del,End for jump and sprint and the cursor keys for movement. Everything else default, except I moved chat to \ because I keep catching it on the return key.

This is pretty much how I have most games set up, where possible.

Mind you, I also play first person, so maybe I'm just odd :p

Edited by pdblake on October 21, 2019 9:22AM
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always surround my left (keyboard) hand with most important things, right is for mouse and for more important stuff like precision aiming and things that I should be able to do no matter I am just moving, mashing skills or swapping.

So in general mouse is for critical stuff:
    Light/Heavy attack, block. Side buttons are for roll dodge and break free. This way no matter what I am doing with left hand, I am able to react in fractions of second to survive.

Left is for the rest. I know I may be minority here but I personally use two keys for swapping bars, it's because this way I don't have to watch on which bar I am currently, and in extremely laggy situations I can mash the buttons without worrying about double swaps or things like this.

I would also recommend to lock Windows key in some way (via software or if you have better keyboard it should have such option) just to make sure your menu won't popup during important fight. I had some issues with left alt key to, when tried to use potion suddenly I got alt+tabbed from game :D

In general left hand is for moving and skills, place the things around your hand closely and in the way you can always use movement buttons with all the rest.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefty here, but I play the same as a right hander with mouse in the right hand and keyboard for the left hand. I use some extra buttons on my mouse to take care of key movements - autorun, forwards and backwards are all covered by my right thumb, which frees my left hand to skate over the ability keys and dodge roll when I need it. I don’t really understand how people play well with a joypad tbh, don’t you have to press a million button combos to achieve stuff cos there aren’t enough buttons?
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't.

I play with keyboard and no mouse. xD

I "real raided" like that in WoW and WvWed like it, in GW2, lol.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    I play with my laptop's trackpad, like a MAN

Like a woman, too. :smile:
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    I was born a PC gamer, ive never had a console, i confess that controllers are good for certain types of game ,etc Sports,Action.

I can't imagine playing WoW,EVE,ESO with a controller...

• RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played 2 years on PS4 and currently playing for 2 years on PC, still using the controller, still kicking PC players asses in all content.
    Controller can offer superior animation canceling to M and KB because of the buttons layout.
    Only thing that i`ve changed is the camera speed from the Usersettings file to be 3 times faster than on console so i can keep up with the fast movement of PC players.
    Edited by RouDeR on October 21, 2019 10:15AM
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I started off with a m+kb. Bought ESO during beta, before controller support was a thing.

Get a good gaming mouse with the number keys on the side for your thumb. It will dramatically improve m+kb gameplay. I have a controller and ESO is passable with it, but for anything that requires fast response, multitasking, and coordination, I recommend the m+kb.
  • Yoku
    Yoku
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question, but as someone who uses a controller most of the time, I just can't seem to be able to use a mouse and keyboard. So I tried again to use mouse and keyboard and it's still so foreign for me. Yes, I know it's like "riding a bike". Thing is, I could never really use a mouse and keyboard when playing TES games and always used a controller be it on console or PC. So for me it's like I never knew how to ride a bike. It's hard to learn if never taught.

So, since for lots of us, it's easy to ride a bike, something we do instinctively, just like walking. Thing is, if you never learned, it is very tough. So my question is how do people use their mouse and keyboard. I mean really think what you are doing. Please don't say just "practice" since I have tired it but since I never could do it, I just keep "falling off the bike" or failing since I keep dying all the time to mud crabs.

So if you like to help, please actually explain what you do. I have finally got the basics of walking. I can shoot with my right mouse button and block with the left mouse button. Now I have problems with using the number keys from 1-5. So how is it done? On controller it's easy for me because I can move and shoot at the same time. It seems on keyboard and mouse, you have to "stop" and then attack. This for me is so weird. Like how to you move? For me with a controller, I am using my left thumb on the left thumb stick to move. I can easily move forwards, backwards, left right, what ever. On Key board I use my right hand on the WASD keys. Thing is, if I want to move sideways I have to leg go of the W key and then use A or S to do so. I can't do both at the same time. Then I even can't cast a spell since if I am side stepping or moving I can't cast a spell. To cast a spell (1-5 keys) I need to stop. I hope this makes someone understand what I am going through.

With a controller I can easily move easily as well as use my spells. Since on the controller we can move with one hand and use spells with the other hand. With mouse and keyboard, it's is mostly use one hand to move, and use spells. It's like my brain is saying on keyboard and mouse, I can't move and use spells at the same time but on controller I can.

So say, I know how to pedal, but I am still sloppy by not being able to keep straight and I wobble. By that I can move no problems going forward, but I fall because I stop when trying to turn. So what are the steps people do when they walk/run? What are the steps people do to side step and go foraward/backward at the same time? How do you rub your head and tap your belly or move and shoot at the same time with mouse and keyboard?

Sadly I need to ask for something that seems so simple but for me, I am an old fart who could never get use to mouse and keyboard because of being a lefty so used a controller for the last 20 years or so.

TL;DR

Please tell me step by step how to move, side step and use spells at the same time.

Keyboard:
    1 - DOT
    2 - DOT
    3 - Spammable
    4 - DOT
    5 - Shield/Heal (basicly skills I don't have to use constantly)
    R - Tabtarger
    (T - PetControl)
    alt - Sprint
    F - Ulti
    W, A, S, D - forward, left, backwards, right
    Space - Jump
    ctrl - crouch/sneak
    E - interact with NPC and Objects
    Y - interact with player
    Q - Quickslot
    ^ - Weaponswap
    X - Synergy

Mouse:
    (my mouse has 4 extra bottons on the side, I only use 2 of them tho)
    left button - Light/Heavy Attack
    right button - block
    mousewheel(when pressed down) - Blockbash/Interrupt
    1st button on side - Autorun
    2nd button on side - Dodge (double tab enabled)

Hope I could help

Edited by Yoku on October 21, 2019 10:28AM
  • Vinterskald
    Vinterskald
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I never got a hang of playing with a controller, I'm just too used to playing most games with mouse and keyboard :)

I do have a gaming mouse, but most of my keys there still are reserved for other things (like... volume toggles, pausing/browsing through my music in the background, and taking screenshots because I care way too much about aesthetics) so the abilities still mostly are the same, except for the first ability that I've keybound to the middle mouse button.

So I have like...
    Middle mouse button - either a DoT or some debuff like elemental drain
    2 - self-heal(-ish) skills, or the panic button on my healers
    3 - usually cleanses, or things that I need to cast pre-battle (like the Warden lotus) - so something that I don't often use in battle
    4 - spammables or orbs
    5 - either shields or elemental blockade, no in between haha

Most of the other keys are the default. My quickslot is T and my synergy is Q since I had troubles getting synergies before that, and dodge roll is tab because double tapping movement keys doesn't always work well for me.

And well, light and heavy attacks are on my mouse as well, so moving and attacking isn't too difficult. I gotta admit, back when I started out (and before I rebound the "1" skill) using my movement keys and my skills at the same time was difficult to me, since I didn't play any MMOs before and was used to being able to pause in between, like in other TES games or other single player RPGs. I think it just takes some time getting used to it at first, so I get why switching from a controller gave you such troubles :)
    Barra agea ry sou karan.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always thought the other way.

How do people even play with controllers? :D

I even have a PS which I dont use at all lol
  • kwando
    kwando
    ✭✭✭
    Only use Q and E ony keyboard the rest is on my mouse.
    Walking just WASD. Unless you want RSI and use your keyboard for skills
    I highly suggest a mouse with side buttons.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suggest to get a mouse with side buttons: I use the side buttons for skill activation.
    Wheel down is for dodge.
    Wheel up is for bar swap.

For the rest I think i mostly use the basic layout for the keyboard for ESO.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this thread, folks, because I have a clue as to what I have to change.

What I HAVE been doing is firing skills and doing movements with my left hand, using all four fingers for the six skill keys. The problem is that I find it hard to move and fire skills at the same time. So I'll try to change that.

Anyway, my right hand is on a Logitech G300 series mouse, which has:
    • The usual two mouse keys.
    • Three center keys/"keys" that are hard to hit quickly, and one of which needs to be reserved for non-game use -- specifically mouse program toggling -- anyway. (I do use one for ESC, which is convenient for menu navigation and the like.)
    • Two extra keys on each side that are very convenient to use.

I have two togglable configurations for those four extra side keys keys:
    • In both cases the front left is for bar swap. This works very smoothly.
    • In both cases the front right is for "x" -- synergy, Blade of Woe, etc. This works very smoothly too.
    • In the main case my back left key is for crouch; that works great when I'm actively thieving, but I hit it by mistake too often otherwise. And the back right key is for dodge. I too often forget that is there.
    • In the other case the back keys are for left and right movement, but I keep forgetting they're there.
    I used to have my skills on 1-6, 6 being the ultimate, but I was mishitting between 5 and 6 too often. Now I have 6 programmed to be the same as 5, and have taken over Y for my ultimate. That's recent, and perhaps not the best choice, especially if I want to start controlling pets again rather than just letting them go to their default targets. :)

I don't currently have anything for push-to-talk, which is another little weakness of my configuration.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on October 21, 2019 12:23PM
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use your hands?
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
  • Nevaee
    Nevaee
    ✭✭
    I think it is very easy with keyboard and mouse. Use a gamers keyboard and a gamers mouse cause the ergonomics is just better. If you like, you could also the program some extra keys and functions.

But as I do not like the usual W, S, A, D layout for working I moved those keys to simple my arrow keys for walking straigth UP, for backwards, Arrow down, and left and right.

This is very easy then to just play with the arrow keys and mouse, the Shift key is right to the left for sprinting.
    In Game EU Guild (German): Grollwerk
  • bodge2372
    bodge2372
    ✭✭✭
    I use a mouse with extra buttons which are bound for weapon swap, crouch and dodge roll and any other in combat skills I have bound to keys around the WASD keys for ease of access. Any other things such as mount, inventory etc are just the normal bound ones that come with the game. But if you play better with a controller, why be bothered trying with a keyboard? Everybody has their own way of playing, so just go with what works for you.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    How do you play with mouse and keyboard in ESO?

The same way we do since 1997 (UO), while participating in discussions constantly in various languages at the same time.

We are not unsocial console peasants, requiring 1 hour to write a coherent sentence.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off I like to thank EVEREYONE here. I was shocked when I cam to see over 80 posts to read. I read everyone. First day on the job and I am sore, tired, so I can't quote all of you. I really appreciate this and I have learned a few things.

For me, jumping was weird and very hard to do. Why? As I have learned a few people here use their thumb to jump. So for me, using my right hand, I tried using my pinky to jump from the spacebar. I have seen lots of layouts and going to try all of them. I did try the arrow keys and numb pad before and wasn't compfrtable to use, but after reading the layouts will try them as well as the IJKL keys. Now I see how easy it is to jump using the thumb now LOL.

If you are right handed try just playing your fingers as if your WASD keys on the IJKL. Then use your left hand on the space bar. No wonder I had problems all these years. I was using my right hand as people said but people used their left hand so no wonder I could hit the keys properly.

I also see since someone mentioned it, it could be the keyboard. Will look into one to see what could be more comfortable to use. So far it does seem comfy with the IJKL keys.When I am not tired, I will start up ESO and try and program the keys and see what happens.

Looks like I am going to miss the rest of the rewards. That is OK, I am finally working again and that matters more. Another reason why I am late to read and reply here.

Again, sorry I haven't thanked everyone individually like I do, but so many and so tired to do. I want you all to know I appreciate it and very thank full.

Now I need to get use to the PC user interface since I always had the Xbox interface since using a controller. :)

As for a mouse I bought the logitech G900 since there are 2 buttons on the right side. In my area there were no left handed mice at all, and lucky for me the G900 was on sale. Going to take a while to get use to since I can only hit one button and the buttons on the left, I can't use at all. With all the comments about remapping and showing me how you played, I am going to try them all and see what works.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always played better with a mouse and keyboard, especially my 12 thumb button mmo mouse.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make sure you get a mouse with a version of the pixart 3360 sensor, then adjust your Windows sens to 6/11, then your mouse DPI, then in game sens. Then just flick n Click to win.