The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The Ripoff...

AJL32456
AJL32456
✭✭✭
Since the launch of homestead, people have rejoiced in the large array of choice one can have when it comes to choosing a house. Between the sizes, the different racial styles and locations there is little one can do but marvel at the abundance that Zenimax has provided for us to choose from. There is however one major problem that everyone faces, they're all a massive ripoff! I mean seriously, a benchmark 14,000 crowns for unfurnished notable home is crazy! That equates to around just under year's worth in ESO Plus savings, or £74.99. It costs another 2,000-5,000 crowns to pay for a furnished one, which is another £19.19-£29.99 on top. As more homes are becoming available with every new update, it also feels as if everything costs more with every update. There's always a new style, a new item, a new this, a new that which are driving prices through the roof!

Being a player who across many online games likes to spend time decorating their house(s), it is astounding how expensive it is to not just buy, but also furnish and decorate a house is in the Elder Scrolls Online. The amount of time I have spent trying to find recipes for furniture, and going to online guides to find furniture recipes which come up with nought continuously, is an atrocity. There has been no official stats as to the rate of spawning of said recipes, so we will never know how common it is to find them, if we find them at all. All this so I don't have to pay over the odds for a chair, or table or anything in the styles I wish to decorate in.

Something needs to change in the way we pay for and obtain houses and furniture, whether it be the amount you earn with ESO plus rises to a higher rate, or you have the option to pay with gold, or ESO Plus members gain a discount on more items, or raise the amount of recipes spawn globally. What ever it is this issue is one of many that needs to be addressed!
AJL32456
- Guildmaster of The Adroit. Only on Xbox EU and PC NA Megaservers. -
www.theadroit.co.uk

AKA:
  • [Mac] - [NA] - AJL32456
    • Thordin Agard (Lvl: Champion 26 - Breton - Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant)
    • Thorodin Jartharn (Lvl: 6 - High Elf - Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion)
  • [Xbox] - [EU] - AJL32456
    • Bjarnar (Lvl: Champion 382 - Nord - Templar - Aldmeri Dominion)
    • Shadelurker (Lvl: 18 - Khajiit - Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion)
    • Drake Ivor (Lvl: 36 - Breton - Warden - Ebonheart Pact)
    • Thorodin Agard (Lvl: 25 - High Elf - Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant)
    • Aegon The Deadly (Lvl: 10 - Breton - Necromancer - Aldmeri Dominion)
    • Rhaegar V T(Lvl: 23 - Breton - Necromancer - Daggerfall Covenant)
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cost is absolutely absurd, especially considering that even with the max item limit you can't possibly fully decorate a house that size. Absolutely terrible ratio of items to space.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The cost is absolutely absurd, especially considering that even with the max item limit you can't possibly fully decorate a house that size. Absolutely terrible ratio of items to space.

Agreed, I (foolishly?) purchased Moon Sugar Meadow. I think I did a descent job at decorating it, but it still feels very sparse and I would guess 3/4's of the property is not being used.

Based on the frequency/density that the artists place props within the game, I would say Moon Sugar Meadow would easily need 4000 slots if one wanted to make use of most of the property.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AJL32456 wrote: »
    If you don't like it, don't play it... it's quite simple.

I honestly don't understand why you're complaining about some extra space, its more space to create in! So what if they made it symmetrical? Just adopt it into your design, role with it.

Stop complaining, this is all a good thing!

I am obviously quoting you from another thread, where I am trying to make ZOS and players aware of "bad quality housing with luxury price tag". I find this comment very accurate here.
    Diversity is all good thing!

The thing is, is that I've said nothing about bad quality of housing, I don't think they're bad quality at all. Every house has its quirks, and they should be celebrated, not shunned.

This should not be celebrated. There is not a business in the world that could make something this broken, pass it on to a customer and not get heat for it.
    I
    I
    V
    S81WNW0.jpg
  • AJL32456
    AJL32456
    ✭✭✭
    I think it looks better.
    AJL32456
    www.theadroit.co.uk

AKA:
      • Thordin Agard (Lvl: Champion 26 - Breton - Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant)
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a % of the money from housing went to the homeless people in Boston, yes zos sales team only need to step outside to see the many people sleeping rough on the streets..then I could warrant the pricing on pixel housing.

It's great to donate to a cat shelter but America, your own people are homeless...help them out. I'll feel a lot better about spending my $$$ knowing it's helping someone over there get a bed for the night and a hot shower. ❤
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

Agreed, I (foolishly?) purchased Moon Sugar Meadow. I think I did a descent job at decorating it, but it still feels very sparse and I would guess 3/4's of the property is not being used.

Based on the frequency/density that the artists place props within the game, I would say Moon Sugar Meadow would easily need 4000 slots if one wanted to make use of most of the property.

This is the problem with moonsugar. What I suggest is having a directed pathway to where you want people to go, it helps you keep it furnished on those specific points and not bore people by making them run around a blank field with only a few decorated places.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a handful of nonconstructive and bashing comments. While we understand not everyone is going to agree, personal insults directed at ZOS staff or other community members is never permitted.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the launch of homestead, people have rejoiced in the large array of choice one can have when it comes to choosing a house. Between the sizes, the different racial styles and locations there is little one can do but marvel at the abundance that Zenimax has provided for us to choose from. There is however one major problem that everyone faces, they're all a massive ripoff! I mean seriously, a benchmark 14,000 crowns for unfurnished notable home is crazy! That equates to around just under year's worth in ESO Plus savings, or £74.99. It costs another 2,000-5,000 crowns to pay for a furnished one, which is another £19.19-£29.99 on top. As more homes are becoming available with every new update, it also feels as if everything costs more with every update. There's always a new style, a new item, a new this, a new that which are driving prices through the roof!

Being a player who across many online games likes to spend time decorating their house(s), it is astounding how expensive it is to not just buy, but also furnish and decorate a house is in the Elder Scrolls Online. The amount of time I have spent trying to find recipes for furniture, and going to online guides to find furniture recipes which come up with nought continuously, is an atrocity. There has been no official stats as to the rate of spawning of said recipes, so we will never know how common it is to find them, if we find them at all. All this so I don't have to pay over the odds for a chair, or table or anything in the styles I wish to decorate in.

Something needs to change in the way we pay for and obtain houses and furniture, whether it be the amount you earn with ESO plus rises to a higher rate, or you have the option to pay with gold, or ESO Plus members gain a discount on more items, or raise the amount of recipes spawn globally. What ever it is this issue is one of many that needs to be addressed!

1. If you do not like the price - don't buy it - it's the best way to send the message to ZOS. I've seen more pricy houses: Lakemire Xanmeer, Grand Topal, Aldmeri Grotto. Linchal and Princely Dawnlight Palace were both 14k crowns unfurnished. However pricy, 14k for Wraithhome does not seem as an increase here.
    There are plenty of really pretty houses to be bought for in game gold.
    2. Furniture packs and crown store furniture can be purchased with gold (gifting) so they are accessbile without crowns, even if pricy.
    3. Housing was designed to be a money sink, thus most of achievement funishings are meant to be expensive.
    4. Crafted furniture and plans are actually affordable, especially after Elsweyr (drop from the dragons), Murkmire and Alinor plans can be purchased with writs, price of the purples dropped like crazy. There are very few exceptions.
    5. Some super pretty furnishings are really cheap (red Elsweyr vines as an example) and available from Home Goods Furnishers. If somebody doesn't own a particular DLC, they can always ask their friends to buy them some...
    Edited by bayushi2005 on October 20, 2019 1:39PM
  • AJL32456
    AJL32456
    ✭✭✭
    14k for Wraithhome does not seem as an increase here.

14k meets the benchmark that I stated above. While there are plenty of pretty houses for gold, most of the more desirable houses don't have that option.

Also a lot of the notable houses are time limited, so people who want it feel pressured into buying at the risk of not being able to claim it for another year.
    AJL32456
    www.theadroit.co.uk

AKA:
  • AJL32456
    AJL32456
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem with moonsugar. What I suggest is having a directed pathway to where you want people to go, it helps you keep it furnished on those specific points and not bore people by making them run around a blank field with only a few decorated places.

Moonsugar Meadow shares it's similarities with Hunters Glade, though a lovely house with the infinite Wolf transformation buff, it again is a field with not much directional flow through it.

Though that could be the point of both these examples, for people to find their own way through...
    AJL32456
    www.theadroit.co.uk

AKA:
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also a lot of the notable houses are time limited, so people who want it feel pressured into buying at the risk of not being able to claim it for another year.

That's the business model ZOS employed. The problem exceeds housing itself. It touches every aspect of the game: Chapters, houses, crates, outfits... It will last as long as we, players, agree to that and pay.
    Edited by bayushi2005 on October 20, 2019 2:09PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That is exactly how I built it.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All houses in this game are perfect. All the people who make this game are perfect. We should send our entire paycheck to Zenimax. They are worth it!
    Edited by Raideen on October 21, 2019 1:57AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I like the Meadow how it is, though.

Some people build a house and then fence it off and I understand the temptation to do that, to hide the messy side of the build, but I wouldn't want to do that, as I like every part of the original area, even before you do anything to it.

Speaking of which, I still haven't done anything much to it, as I can't really be bothered to try to make a "house" out of some floors and walls, with no window, or door frames.

I'm still, vaguely, hoping they will add some walls with door and/or window frames already in them.
    Edited by Tigerseye on October 21, 2019 1:25PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

I like the Meadow how it is, though.

Some people build a house and then fence it off and I understand the temptation to do that, to hide the messy side of the build, but I wouldn't want to do that, as I like every part of the original area, even before you do anything to it.

Speaking of which, I still haven't done anything much to it, as I can't really be bothered to try to make a "house" out of some floors and walls, with no window, or door frames.

I'm still, vaguely, hoping they will add some walls with door and/or window frames already in them.

No reason you have to build a structure, although you might check out some some of the amazing things others have built here, from villages to temples, tombs and palaces! :smiley: But you could also just add to the flora as you desire, or simple structural elements like a bridge or platform to obtain a magnificent view of the waterfalls. :) It would certainly be wonderful if we had more structural elements, including doors and windows. More prebuilt homes / elements would also be helpful with options and item count! It would be nice, for instance, to have the option to place a tradition Khajiit home (like Sleek Creek and in Khenarthi’s Roost) in Moonsugar Meadow if desired.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Recent wrote: »
    If a % of the money from housing went to the homeless people in Boston, yes zos sales team only need to step outside to see the many people sleeping rough on the streets..then I could warrant the pricing on pixel housing.

It's great to donate to a cat shelter but America, your own people are homeless...help them out. I'll feel a lot better about spending my $$$ knowing it's helping someone over there get a bed for the night and a hot shower. ❤

There's nothing stopping you from directly donating to charities to help the homeless.

But, on topic, I agree that the house prices are, well, pricey. While some of them look cool, they're just too large for my tastes. I have no interest in decorating a giant monstrosity, especially ones that don't even feel like a home. But those are my tastes/preferences.

Like it or not (and I don't really like it), housing is largely a revenue generator. Large sticker prices are designed to deplete large crown stashes or entice players to buy crowns. The point of sale is crowns, and if players aren't buying crowns, then ZOS doesn't get new revenue.

That said, I suspect that the gifting program has generated a lot of crown sales, since it sounds like lots of players are now buying most of what they want from the CS with gold, so someone is regularly buying crowns in order to buy gold from players willing to give it to them in exchange for a CS item.

Plus, we have had a couple of homes recently, plus another one coming out today, that have been CS exclusive, but under 5k crowns unfurnished - Snow Globe, Frostvault, and soon Lucky Cat. They're smaller, sure (medium, in fact), but at least we are getting some new options that fit more budgets.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I agree, in theory, although I don't trust most charities.

The amount that actually goes to the needy is often ridiculous.

I don't really feel like keeping upper level charity staff in the lap of luxury, in the name of helping the homeless.

• Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They aren't "MY" people...they are people who live on the same physical continent as me. I don't own them, and they don't own me.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the housing system as it is right now is flawed, mostly because of the reduced diversity of furnishings. Builders have very limited options when decorating a certain house. Some architectural styles have more items than others, with Elsweyr probably offering the most, from building components to household items, while others are locked behind a pay wall (crown exclusive items or packs and Imperial style furnishings).

For me is frustrating to see an item in the game which does not exist as a furnishing (like certain bookcases). Also I want to be able to build much like the devs create the houses in the games. I would be happy if they could add more empty patches of land and make possible to buy large structures like an entire house base shape, because certain templates are easily identifiable in the game. I would like to place such a template and add doors, ladder interactions, basement, etc.

Some achievement furnishings are way to expensive. A blossom tree is 20k or more. Because there are so many houses available, prices like that drive off a lot of people. Most players I know do not bother much with housing because it is so expensive and more trouble than its worth, so maybe this is the reason the devs pay so little attention to the housing community and we see improvements added so slowly. It is sad, but probably the interest of the general player base is quite low. Unfortunately we do not have any communication with the housing team. So from this perspective, I do not think I will pay money for any more houses. They are not worth the $$.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like it, don't play it... it's quite simple.

I honestly don't understand why you're complaining about some extra space, its more space to create in! So what if they made it symmetrical? Just adopt it into your design, role with it.

Stop complaining, this is all a good thing!

I am obviously quoting you from another thread, where I am trying to make ZOS and players aware of "bad quality housing with luxury price tag". I find this comment very accurate here.
    Diversity is all good thing!

The thing is, is that I've said nothing about bad quality of housing, I don't think they're bad quality at all. Every house has its quirks, and they should be celebrated, not shunned.

This should not be celebrated. There is not a business in the world that could make something this broken, pass it on to a customer and not get heat for it.
    I
    I
    V
    S81WNW0.jpg
    Posted two threads (1; 2) long ago about this issue. Such examples can be found all over the game, but when such a flawed building is your house it's a pain.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Crucified4sin
    Crucified4sin
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_JesC wrote: »
    Greetings, we've removed a handful of nonconstructive and bashing comments. While we understand not everyone is going to agree, personal insults directed at ZOS staff or other community members is never permitted.

If only you monitored your game to such an extent 🤔