Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Account has gone

• Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LizziAS wrote: »
    try account recovery option to get a ticket processed

ive tried
  • LizziAS
    LizziAS
    ✭✭✭
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

already tried account is not there
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    anyone from @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_AntonioP please contact me as soon as you can, i have contacted my bank and they are reversing the chargeback Monday morning (nothing can be done over weekend) this was nothing more than a banking error. Any chance i can get my account back please?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, but bear in mind that it's the weekend so you're unlikely to get any response till Monday at the earliest. Also, there is a support forum specifically for account problems whereas a thread here will get buried pretty quickly - don't be tempted to get round that by bumping it or you'll lose your forum account too!
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can i just clarify something? It's being said a ‘chargeback’ could have caused this?

Not in US so curious what is - is it like a direct debit that gets refused as not enough funds?

But why would a refusal of / problem with payment automatically mean the account would be ‘deleted’? Surely it would just mean that their ESO+ would stop? They should still have access to basic account.

(And to OP - good luck & hope this gets sorted soon)
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Can i just clarify something? It's being said a ‘chargeback’ could have caused this?

Not in US so curious what is - is it like a direct debit that gets refused as not enough funds?

But why would a refusal of / problem with payment automatically mean the account would be ‘deleted’? Surely it would just mean that their ESO+ would stop? They should still have access to basic account.

from what i understand, a chargeback is where you pay for something and then request a refund after the goods/service has been delivered, in my case a charge appeared twice on my account and the bank flagged it as fraud and issued the charge back, but they are rectifying it
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Alienoutlaw
    Ta. Still doesn’t explain why no account at all!

Good luck!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alienoutlaw

Good luck!

Companies don't like customers paying for something, receiving it, and then cancelling the payment - not surprisingly! Their automated response is likely to be to cancel the whole service, in this case to put a stop on the game account. Then the customer can appeal against that and explain the circumstances etc in order to get it reinstated where appropriate. It's pretty standard business management. The account won't have been deleted with all characters gone etc, just a stop put on it until the issue is resolved.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a very common practice to ban a customer from a service if they do a chargeback. The company considers it a form of theft.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 19, 2019 11:53AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, that would either be an "overdraft," (in which case the bank will still honor the transaction, even though it takes your account into the red) or the transaction would fail due to insufficient funds.

Normally a chargeback is when you've been charged for a product or service but did not receive it. For example, if a local pizza place charges you for delivery, but then never actually delivers the food, you'd contact your bank and request a reversal on the transaction. That's a "chargeback."

Basically, a chargeback is when you go to the bank (or, call them) say, "this transaction was theft." and they proceed to reverse it.

Fraudulently initiating a chargeback against any legitimate transaction is a very bad idea, and can result in severe legal consequences.

Incidentally, if your ESO+ does fail, due to insufficient funds, your ESO+ will lapse, but there won't be punitive actions taken against your account.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I see the op says he had a chargeback for crowns most likely used and not recoverable so they seen it as theft and closed his account
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone from @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_AntonioP please contact me as soon as you can, i have contacted my bank and they are reversing the chargeback Monday morning (nothing can be done over weekend) this was nothing more than a banking error. Any chance i can get my account back please?

You want support, not forum staff. I don't see much point in tagging those people, at most they can check in with support staff.

Support can take some time, especially on weekends, but in my experience can sort you out in a couple of business days at most. Make sure to reply to whatever automated message you get and restate your issue clearly and in detail.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses above - was just not a term/process I was familiar with.
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure this will get fixed soon, sorry it happened to you.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    @Alienoutlaw

Good luck!

Companies don't like customers paying for something, receiving it, and then cancelling the payment - not surprisingly! Their automated response is likely to be to cancel the whole service, in this case to put a stop on the game account. Then the customer can appeal against that and explain the circumstances etc in order to get it reinstated where appropriate. It's pretty standard business management. The account won't have been deleted with all characters gone etc, just a stop put on it until the issue is resolved.

Still, it seems a little like pulling out the big guns to kill a fly, especially if it has not been established that fraud was involved.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    buy a new account...its cheap anyway...you dont seem to have lost 2 much anyway :trollface:
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    @Alienoutlaw

Good luck!

Still, it seems a little like pulling out the big guns to kill a fly, especially if it has not been established that fraud was involved.

there was no fraud it was a banking error
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The reason companies ban after a chargeback isn’t just because they are mad they didn’t get their money. The chargeback generally means the charges were unauthorized. It was a stolen card. This is used to get gold and game keys to sell on grey market sites. This is how game companies address that growing problem.
    Edited by Pevey on October 19, 2019 4:36PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that sounds a little confusing is when you say a charge appeared twice, so the bank assumed a fraud. Did you make two identical purchases of crowns, or something like that? As for the bank assuming fraud, they should have contacted you first to verify whether the second charge was actually fraudulent, rather than reversing the charge on their own. It seems like you could potentially take legal action against the bank for doing that, or that at the very least you might want to switch to a different bank and let the first bank know what they did wrong.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alienoutlaw , so sorry this has happened and I can understand how frustrated you must be feeling.

The only thing I can suggest that hasn’t been mentioned before is that to avoid the thread vanishing from plain sight, and to avoid bumping it, you could send the forum staff a private message here on the forum. That way they will certainly see it. One of them must be on duty over the weekend, so maybe a message to each one?

Good luck, and please do let us know how it goes.
  • LizziAS
    LizziAS
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    One thing that sounds a little confusing is when you say a charge appeared twice, so the bank assumed a fraud. Did you make two identical purchases of crowns, or something like that? As for the bank assuming fraud, they should have contacted you first to verify whether the second charge was actually fraudulent, rather than reversing the charge on their own. It seems like you could potentially take legal action against the bank for doing that, or that at the very least you might want to switch to a different bank and let the first bank know what they did wrong.

Increasingly, the big banks in the usa will block non-routine purchases from their so-called fraud prevention department. I have had words with banks about this interference. Fraud prevention should really be less proactive than they are, deciding where people can and cant spend their own money.
    -Signature Removed-

• Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Increasingly, the big banks in the usa will block non-routine purchases from their so-called fraud prevention department. I have had words with banks about this interference. Fraud prevention should really be less proactive than they are, deciding where people can and cant spend their own money.

I agree, sometimes purchases are blocked, and that is very frustrating. And digital purchases, and particularly digital games purchases, have an especially high chance of being flagged for fraud. That is because of the high rate of actual fraud where people try to monetize stolen credit card numbers by buying digital goods like gift cards (including steam gift cards), game keys, etc. these can then be resold. A stolen credential on its own is useless, it has to be monetized. When this happens, there will often be many purchases a row. A bank has a responsibility to stop obvious fraud, so they develop algorithms to do that. Sometimes legitimate purchases get caught in the net.

I don’t think that is what happened here. The buyer would not have received the crowns in his account if the transaction had been blocked as fraudulent and it would not be considered a chargeback. The account would not have been banned. The second purchase of crowns would never have gone through.

Instead, what often happens, and what I think happened here, is that banks notice a suspicious pattern and send an email or call the customer asking the customer to verify whether they were legit. This happens after the fact. If the customer “accidentally” (I will give benefit of the doubt) flags a legit purchase as fraudulent, a credit will be issued to the customer and the merchant will get a chargeback. This obviously ultimately hurts the merchant. The bank and customer are both made whole.

As an aside, if you buy gold for ESO in real-money transactions and think, well, it’s really not hurting anyone, consider that there is a very good chance stolen cards were involved somewhere. Either in buying game keys for bots or buying crowns to sell to convert to gold to sell for cash. Don’t support that.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It serves a real purpose, though. Fraud is up. It's big business. The last thing you want is someone with mediochre social engineering skills cleaning you out. So, yeah, those fraud prevention departments, save your life, even if they're a little inconvenient sometimes.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

no it was only one purchase, and as soon as the bank has sorted this mess out i will be kicking up a fuss
  • Darth_Trumpious
    Darth_Trumpious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check to make sure there wasn't a charge back on your card if your ESO+ was renewed and then rejected recently, I've seen this happen to other people.

i did have a payment for crowns a while ago that was that was refunded by the bank but the crowns still came through, but that was 2 months ago, could this be reason?

No one steals from ZOS - if you don't contact them about the error for two months and yet spent the crown they will assume it is on your side who issued the charge back, and therefore a theft

then your account go BOOM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Check to make sure there wasn't a charge back on your card if your ESO+ was renewed and then rejected recently, I've seen this happen to other people.

i did have a payment for crowns a while ago that was that was refunded by the bank but the crowns still came through, but that was 2 months ago, could this be reason?

No one steals from ZOS - if you don't contact them about the error for two months and yet spent the crown they will assume it is on your side who issued the charge back, and therefore a theft

i didnt steal anything thankyou, my bank messed up!!!
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you saw it was refunded and did not contact zos I assume? So you did spend the crowns without paying for them
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You still should have been more proactive to resolve the bank error when you first saw it. When a bank makes a mistake in your favor, it is still your responsibility to address the mistake. It is not solely your responsibility, but you still need to take action. Somewhere in every company there is a department whose sole job is to chase down every penny spent and earned, to make sure it ends up in its proper place.

• kwando
    kwando
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but this sounds really fishy first, a double payment does never get seen as fraud by your bank if ZOS send a bill twice it's up to you to fix that with the bank and ZOS your bank will never just start screwing around with your money. Second if you recharged your money for something you paid for, then it's in ZOS right to ban you because it's scamming. No let's say something went wrong and ZOS charged you twice and you filed a notice at your bank and your bank charged the money back 2x you should've contacted ZOS and your bank to solve this. The best way to solve this now is make a new account file a support ticket and ask ZOS if you can pay that money back.