Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why aren't my crafted potions any stronger than the Crown Tri-Restoration potions?

Dahveed
Dahveed
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm at max alchemy and I just made a tri-restoration potion using Lorkhan's Tears with Columbine, Bugloss and Mountain flower. It restores 8369 health and 7582 magicka and stamina, and also increases recovery of those stats by 20% for 52.8, 47.6 and 47.6 seconds, respectively.

These are literally the exact same stats and effects as the Crown version.

So tell me, what's the point of grinding alchemy to level 50? I've just been logging on and collecting these free potions forever, I still have over 200 of them even though I use them on a regular basis. Never bothered with alchemy before because of these potions and elixirs I always got for free.

Just for kicks I decided to make some potions for myself, because I figured, logically, that a max level alchemist could blow away any paltry offerings these FREE items could provide.

To my dismay they are... identical? What the hell? This is inexcusable. I thought the Crown Store was supposed to be for cosmetics and quality of life crap only?

What is the point of alchemy in this game? Did I miss something?
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor people need a chance to win, too.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crownstore Potions were weaker until they got adjusted a few patches ago. For me personally the few free ones are a drop in the ocean, but I don't want to complain about getting something for free, as potions are probably the most expensive thing in endgame PvE/PvP. But I certainly agree that it leaves a bitter taste that you could just buy a essential part every competitive build in the crown store. I dislike purchasable skill lines and skyshards a lot more though.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »

By "poor people" you mean "people who are so privileged and rich in real life that they can afford to buy imaginary things in video games for real money"?

Yes, very poor. I feel bad for you.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The promise is that the Crown version will never be better than crafted.

It used to be that the Crown version was inferior to crafted. Now it's identical. Which is consistent with that promise. If prevailing crown-to-gold conversion rates are used, it's still much cheaper to make and use the in-game version.

They no longer hand out tripots for daily rewards (which is unfortunate), so your point there is moot. And for people who consumed them on a regular basis (e.g., endgame PvE tanks), the paltry number you got from the daily rewards were not enough (if you don't or rarely use them, then of course you'd build up a large supply, but in that case, why would you care?).

Finally, level 50 alchemy is unremarkable. It's easy to get and every character needs to get it since Medicinal Use is a must-have passive for any kind of serious gameplay.
    Edited by code65536 on October 2, 2019 4:24AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dahveed wrote: »
    ChunkyCat wrote: »

By "poor people" you mean "people who are so privileged and rich in real life that they can afford to buy imaginary things in video games for real money"?

Yes, very poor. I feel bad for you.

uc?id=100f8kbrAyjtQjp9aQ_6JzZncM6RfLflz
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    The promise is that the Crown version will never be better than crafted.

It used to be that the Crown version was inferior to crafted. Now it's identical. Which is consistent with that promise. If prevailing crown-to-gold conversion rates are used, it's still much cheaper to make and use the in-game version.

They no longer hand out tripots for daily rewards (which is unfortunate), so your point there is moot. And for people who consumed them on a regular basis (e.g., endgame PvE tanks), the paltry number you got from the daily rewards were not enough (if you don't or rarely use them, then of course you'd build up a large supply, but in that case, why would you care?).

Finally, level 50 alchemy is unremarkable. It's easy to get and every character needs to get it since Medicinal Use is a must-have passive for any kind of serious gameplay.

This month, we are getting tripots again towards the end, iirc. But yes, technically they are keeping their promise that they'll never be better than crafted, but it's still just another step toward making crafting a little less relevant.

Also, they did this with all consumables, so that includes food/drinks. But the difference with crown store vs. crafted is that you can craft more varied potions and food/drinks than what is available from the CS and daily rewards.

So, while CS versions are now identical, there are still benefits to getting to level 50 in provisioning and alchemy. In addition to being able to craft potions and food/drinks with more varied effects/bonuses, there are passives such as medicinal use (already mentioned above) or the passives that increase the duration of food/drinks.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much use for alchemy for me personally because of crown potions from random stuff, however I got them. Even as an endgame tank I still have a stockpile of a couple thousand tri-stat restoration potions. That and the fact I use enchantments over poisons means alchemy is practically worthless for me.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my alchemy maxed but I don't use or make potions very often bc of these free crown pots also not to mention when leveling, you can just pick up random pots from tables and such to sustain you. When you reach Vet content and PVP, you will definitely need the specialized pots like invisibility and stun invulnerability, there are some that increase physical and spell damage and help make stealth enemies easier to see etc. There is literally a potion for every situation.
    Edited by Radiance on October 4, 2019 5:17PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    Not much use for alchemy for me personally because of crown potions from random stuff, however I got them. Even as an endgame tank I still have a stockpile of a couple thousand tri-stat restoration potions. That and the fact I use enchantments over poisons means alchemy is practically worthless for me.

I hope you're using the medicinal use passive when you use those potions. With the passive you can keep your buffs up indefinitely (assuming you're using potions on cooldown). Without it, your buffs are falling off for a period of time before you can use your next potion.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Marginis wrote: »

I hope you're using the medicinal use passive when you use those potions. With the passive you can keep your buffs up indefinitely (assuming you're using potions on cooldown). Without it, your buffs are falling off for a period of time before you can use your next potion.

I suppose I forgot about that small buff. Not that it's particularly relevant to me - I don't keep 100% uptime on potions as a main tank, I just use as needed, but fair point.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.