The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you like heavy attacks to be able to sustain?

• SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    iRaivyne wrote: »
    Are you asking if we like "relying on heavy attacks to sustain", or are you asking if we like "being able to sustain off of a heavy attack?" These are two very different questions.

No to the first, yes to the second.

Say you have 2 dps build options that output same DPS, one includes HA, other doesn't - which one would you choose?
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Heavy attacking with an inferno/ice staff for me is akin to watching paint dry then a kid slapping their hand on it and spread it around warranting your time fruitless.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Heavy Attacks are kind of my DPS crutch; I can't keep up with the "fast paced engaging combat" of the Light Attack rotation. If y'all would leave them alone, that'd be great. I'd prefer it if recovery or sustain skills were improved rather than shredding my crutch.

Edit: I mainly use Lightning Staff HA's. The channel works better for me than the Fire Staff HA's.
    Edited by RaptorRodeoGod on October 2, 2019 9:29PM
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Heavy Attacks are kind of my DPS crutch; I can't keep up with the "fast paced engaging combat" of the Light Attack rotation. If y'all would leave them alone, that'd be great. I'd prefer it if recovery or sustain skills were improved rather than shredding my crutch.

Edit: I mainly use Lightning Staff HA's. The channel works better for me than the Fire Staff HA's.

If you were to just click LAs without any skills in the same window of time that you use to do a heavy attack - you would do more damage... Heavy attack is a dps loss for anybody, even people who didn't master their rotations.
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    slofwnd wrote: »

If you were to just click LAs without any skills in the same window of time that you use to do a heavy attack - you would do more damage... Heavy attack is a dps loss for anybody, even people who didn't master their rotations.

I should have mentioned I play on Xbox. I can do the LA rotation for a bit, but I can't properly maintain it on a 6mil dummy; I start to press things out of order/lose my place. For me, it's an issue of limits, not practice. I know it's a DPS loss, but I'd rather do a rotation I can repeatedly execute well without fail. I'm not looking to be the best, I'm just looking to complete content.

Plus, the HA rotation gives me time to pay attention to my surroundings.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • stevenyaub16_ESO
    stevenyaub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should make it take 1 second cast time lower damage and same resources. So you only replace 1 skill use rather than 2.
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need to do heavy attacks as DPS in PvE your build/group sucks. As some rely on synergies which is valid.

• nekura
    nekura
    ✭✭✭
    No
    They need to double or triple regen while out of combat. This game is *** stupid.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    idk wrote: »
    I do what needs to be done to have solid dps. It is that simple.
    Given that your overall dps output is equal would you rather have heavy attacks in your rotation or no? Do you like the mechanic of heavy attack itself?

Your comments here are not relevant to the question you asked in the OP. Besides that I avoid answering hypotheticals because they are usually fabricated with a motive.
  • xAk_MoRRoWiNdx
    xAk_MoRRoWiNdx
    ✭✭✭
    The game still feels different since the god awful Morrowind sustain obliterations. Sustain still sucks
    New to forums and stuff so I 99.9 percent probably won't see your response and such, so use the at symbol at me I guess? IDK :/. This BBCode stuff is really cool!! :D.
    Gamer from Alaska (907 Gamers, Alaskan Gamers Unite!).
    My little rant I guess?:
      One day Nightblades will get the buffs we desperately need and deserve, but so far, those buffs are not today.. The Elder Scrolls Online: Nightblade Nerfs Unlimited.
      Don't nerf you, don't nerf me, nerf the sorc behind the tree!.

If you need help or advice, hit me up on Xbox: H4rry Poggers :D .
      Also open to talking on Discord!

Ich kann Deutsch Sprechen bei der mittleren/zwischen Kenntnissen Ebene. Hallo! :D.

CP level 1000+! Playing since 2015.

My wishlist I suppose:
      • PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEAAASSSEEE EITHER BUFF SIPHONING STRIKES OR REVERT IT BACK TO PRE MORROWIND!!.
      • Bring back purge cloak. But I guess the new heal cloak is more beneficial. Hmmm....
      • MAKE IMPERIAL CITY GREAT AGAIN, BRING BACK THOSE INCREDIBLE DAYS. My best experiences in ESO where in there!
      • Return Stam builds to the power we held in One Tamriel. Long Live Stamina builds!
      • Put Magplar and MagDK into their place. Magpsorc is a hopeless case.
      • Is there any chance that we could get an Ebonheart Pact nerf? #CullingTheHerds .

My 10 characters:
      • AD - xak-Morrowindx - Khajiit Stamina Nightblade. Hours: 107 days, 19 hours (2,568 hours).
      • EP - Ich bin Groot - Orc Stamina Dragonknight. Hours: 2 days, 16 hours (64 hours).
      • DC - Who Took My Bleach - Orc Stamina Sorcerer. Hours: 3 days, 18 hours. (90 hours).
      • EP - Niada Zaennon - High Elf Magicka Nightblade. Hours: 15 days, 18 hours (378 hours).
      • AD - Healsyournoobazzwithmemes - Argonian Magicka Templar. Hours: 1 day, 9 hours (33 hours)
      • DC - Engulfing Traps - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight. Hours: 7 days, 17 hours (129 hours).
      • AD - Verführung - High Elf Magicka Sorcerer. Hours: 5 days, 9 hours (129 hours)
      • DC - Deadazz catch these birds - Nord Stamina Warden. Hours: 6 days, 21 hours (165 hours)
      • EP - So Bendy - Wood Elf Stamina Templar. Hours: 1 day, 15 hours (39 hours)
      • EP - Smash that mf Like button - Breton Magicka Warden. Hours: 20 hours, 20 minutes.

Aldmeri Dominion Master-Faction!
    • Zacuel
      Zacuel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Don't care - I quit
      ._.
    • Asardes
      Asardes
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      No
      Sometimes you need to do a couple of HA in your rotation even with a good build, if you have other resource drains than DPS. For example in a trial or dungeon where you have to block cast, roll dodge, sprint, Vigor, you want to have a bit of a stamina surplus. If you do your rotation, then end up with no stamina, and the mechanic happens you get stunned and die. I'd rather see someone do 10% less DPS but stay at full resources, ready to react, than have him with not enough stamina to do those mechanics, and to 0 DPS because he died. Another alternative is to swap one of those "meta" sets that perform flawless against a static dummy for a sustain set like VO that lets you maintain rotation w/o doing heavy attack, and also have that surplus. At least whilst learning those mechanics.
      Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
      vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
      41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
      Member of:
      Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
      Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
      Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
      Valinor Overflow: Trader
      The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
      Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
      Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
      Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
      Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
      Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
      Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
      Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
      Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
      Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
      Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
      Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
      Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
      Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
      Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
      Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
      Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
      Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
      30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
      Member of:
      Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
      Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    • Tyrobag
      Tyrobag
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I think Zos needs to make up their minds: Either build the game so everyone has to use heavy attacks, or build it so none has to. The way its been up until now the super "leet" types with perfect gear and ideal groups can just ignore heavy attacks as a mechanic, VS. others have to use heavies then the aforementioned "leet" judge them and ask why they aren't built "properly".

Please pick one or the other.
    • Araneae6537
      Araneae6537
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Barbaran wrote: »
      Speaking as from a PvP perspective.
      Having to use heavy attacks is actually part of a skill gap that lots of people still want.
      It separates the good players from the bad.
      Sounds like a bunch of people not wanting to have to worry about resources and just be able to spam attacks,shields,block and dodging infinitely.

No, and I like that choosing abilities and morphs gives you options in damage, resources, sustain, etc. It’s that it doesn’t feel right to me and many others that stamina heavy weapon attacks restore resources. I differentiate because with staves it does feel right to me, like my character is taking a breath and charging up to do more damage or healing after completing the heavy attack. The thing with heavy melee attacks is that they look like way more effort, like they should instead be extra tiring but potentially knock back or otherwise do great damage to your foe, rather like many of the NPC attacks that you can interrupt.
    • ChefZero
      ChefZero
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      It makes PvP combat more spicy.
      PC EU - DC only
    • Jodynn
      Jodynn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Leave heavy attacks alone but that shouldn't be a reason for me to have to spam spell symmetry.
      Jodynn PC NA
      PvE and PvP MagDK
      The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
    • Zelos
      Zelos
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Let's solve this question once and for all. Who here enjoys HAs and who doesn't.

Why do we have to have 4 different options to vote for? Why cant people just put Yes or No, why do you have to skew the results?
      Aeonhack - AD Stamina Nightblade - 5 Star General

CP1200

Creator and user of "Questionable" addons and game mechanics.
    • MartiniDaniels
      MartiniDaniels
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Indifferent
      I don't like them on dummy-like bosses and I avoid to have them in rotation, but other then that they are ok. I only wish we can "hold" them at fully-charged status instead of releasing them in nowhere. Maybe give some time window for fully-chraged status like 2 seconds... This will be great in PVP and in VMA for example.
    • TheHsN
      TheHsN
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      No No No so boringggg
      Plays:
      Magicka SORC - PvE/PvP
      Stamina NB - PvE/PvP
      Magicka NB - PvE/PvP
      Magicka Templar - PvE
      Stamina Templar - PvP
      Magicka DK - PvE
      Stamina DK - PvE
    • NyassaV
      NyassaV
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Indifferent
      If all heavy attacks had the same wind up time as dual wield than I'd be fine with it.
      Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
      She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
    • b.bredfeldtub17_ESO
      Yes
      I prefer heavy attacks be what they indicate and what they are in the actual ES games: the bigger damage option. That doesn't necessarily mean sustain, but the concept of haymakers has always been most appealing to me. One big shot that kills things or hits really hard > death by a thousand cuts.
    • maxjapank
      maxjapank
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Heavy attacks should cause more damage than light attacks, not just give back resources. It's silly that light attacks contribute so much to overall dps.
    • tthhyyss
      tthhyyss
      ✭✭✭
      Don't care - I quit
      My vote says it all...
    • Kesstryl
      Kesstryl
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Don't care - I quit
      I've already unsubbed due to the current patch because they are increasing the cost of many skills, plus healing nerfs last patch. I'm pretty much done. I'm tired of it all. I'm sick of getting weaker and rebuilding my characters every major patch. I quit. I hope things change because this used to be a really fun game, but for now I'm done.
      HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
    • Aurie
      Aurie
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      ThePedge wrote: »
      Don't understand the question, do I like that HA give back resources for sustain? yes.

Agree, question could be read either way.

• kind_hero
      kind_hero
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      For magicka users I like to HA if I have a lightning or restoration staff because the animation is cool.

But HA breaks the flow of combat, so yes... I am not sure about them, feels clunky sometimes.

[PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
    • iRaivyne
      iRaivyne
      ✭✭✭
      iRaivyne wrote: »
      Are you asking if we like "relying on heavy attacks to sustain", or are you asking if we like "being able to sustain off of a heavy attack?" These are two very different questions.

No to the first, yes to the second.

Say you have 2 dps build options that output same DPS, one includes HA, other doesn't - which one would you choose?

No heavy attack.
    • Arjuna1696
      Arjuna1696
      ✭✭✭
      I don't think the mechanic makes any sense, but the flame staff heavy attack looks GREAT, and I kind of wish I had more excuses to use it. Bow HA feels too slow and clunky, same with 2H. DW HAs are alright.
      Arjúna | Wood Elf Stamina Warden | of the Undying Song | Flawless Conquerer
      Tangles-Up-In-Blue | Argonian Magicka Warden | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer
      Marcełine | Dark Elf Magicka Nightblade | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer
      Nausîcaä | Breton Magicka Templar | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer