The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Do you like heavy attacks to be able to sustain?

SeaUnicorn
SeaUnicorn
✭✭✭✭✭
Let's solve this question once and for all. Who here enjoys HAs and who doesn't.
To clarify given 2 builds that have same dps output - one requires HAs for sustain, another doesn't. Would you prefer the build that requires HAs to sustain the rotation?
Edited by SeaUnicorn on October 6, 2019 4:56AM

Do you like heavy attacks to be able to sustain? 257 votes

Yes
23%
InklingsAelorinJaisnvictory.immortalb16_ESOzsetnerzb16_ESO2Nebthet78b.bredfeldtub17_ESOetelmocub18_ESOBloodystabSahidomChefZeroSkoomahVexariuspreeviousManwithBeard9HowlKimchiTBoismoleculeEmma_OverloadMarto 60 votes
Indifferent
15%
JkahrrRadnarNirntrotterRikumaruwild_kmacdb16_ESOidkKetarmishElsonsokimaerilMayraelDerrapylbRebornV3xBananaFreakin_HyttekylewwefanMjolnirVilkasEllyhanPuzzlenutsBobby_V_Rockitmax_only 39 votes
No
54%
SirAndyZelosSolarikenDeathStalkervailjohn_ESOOakmontowls_ESODarcyMardinSchattenfluegelWillhelmBlacklpwSeaUnicornMalthorneArwyrkojouJodynnczarFeannagTanis-StormbinderleeuxStreega 140 votes
Don't care - I quit
7%
bgoldbeck21_ESOGedericKesstrylrollingphoneseb17_ESODedricusSwiftnoodleBlissfulDelugeMorgul667LiquidPonytthhyyssKlauthWarthogxylena_lazarowLord_SandoZacuelDrako_EiFenrisWolf1136ThePhantomThornkuromoku 18 votes
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mostly adapted to heavy attacks since Morrowind. Its an easy way to go "I need more resources", pause and heavy attack to get them back. Mind you, I mostly play tanks in PVE vet group content, so its not like I'm feeling the pressure of a constant DPS rotation. I expect that people who main Damage Dealers will have a different impression.

Sure, it doesnt make logical sense that hitting things harder with my mace makes it easier for me to block with my shield, but what you gonna do? After all, this is a world where I can cook everything by stirring a bowl and licking my finger.
    Edited by VaranisArano on October 1, 2019 4:48PM
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Sure, it doesnt make logical sense that hitting things harder with my mace makes it easier for me to block with my shield, but what you gonna do?
    Never thought about it from that perspective. But it is kinda funny :D
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    I rarely need them; use them when I have to.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    i don't want to go back to the Morrowind meta
    PC-EU
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    slofwnd wrote: »
    Let's solve this question once and for all. Who here enjoys HAs and who doesn't.

Restoration Staff: YES

Every other weapon: No and it's stupid.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Heavy attacking for resources is simply a bad mechanic that detracts from gameplay.

As a DPS main, I refuse to play a build/rotation that necessitates using them.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Restoration Staff: YES

Every other weapon: No and it's stupid.

I have to agree. When starting the game I confess I was a bit slow to pick this up as I assumed heavy attacks were a more lengthy and thus interruptible way to deal greater damage.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Indifferent
    No

However both LA/HA should be both resource/proc mechanic rather than a damage one imo.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No. The damage is ok, but not good enough for the time it takes to channel. As well, without CP invested into it, the resource return is too low.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don’t enjoy heavy attacks or any skills with a cast time, they completely disrupt the fast-paced combat that separates ESO from other games.

I agree with others that say it doesn’t make logical sense that heavy attacks restore resources at all. If anything, heavy attacks should deal high damage (like they did in previous Elder Scrolls games) and could be part of a simpler rotation for new players. Light attacks are more of a “rest” for a character and should be the one to restore resources while dealing comparatively less damage, transforming weaving from a damage tool to a sustain tool, and allowing a sustainable light attack + skills rotation.
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I hate using a anything but lighting staff when it comes to heavy attacks. The animation is so slow and ruins the combat flow for me. So I use more sustain sets now unless i'm doing vet trials. Even PVP i use more sustain but I am magplar so the more Breath of life I can spam the better chances I have or surviving :-).
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Kinda irrelevant if you like it or not.

It’s one of the sustain methods (alongside recovery glyphs and sustain sets) that the devs have given us/intend for us to use for sustain.

Complaining about it is exactly as effective as complaining about “animation cancelling”.
    Edited by mikemacon on October 1, 2019 6:36PM
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    They add another element to combat which I appreciate. But the melee ones could benefit from a lock-on feature or something to reduce whiffing, something ranged doesn’t need to worry about nearly as much.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    mikemacon wrote: »

It’s one of the sustain methods (alongside recovery glyphs and sustain sets) that the devs have given us/intend for us to use for sustain.

Complaining about it is exactly as effective as complaining about “animation cancelling”.

Yup, no use is discussions...may as well shut down these forums....
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    kathandira wrote: »

Absolutely! Hyperbole and histrionics are defo the way to go!

::turns and stares into camera::
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    kathandira wrote: »

Absolutely! Hyperbole and histrionics are defo the way to go!

::turns and stares into camera::

hehe...for comedic effect, they do the job = )
  • TheInfernalRage
    TheInfernalRage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I hate cast times
  • Swiftnoodle
    Swiftnoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Don't care - I quit
    First I wanted to choose "H*LL NO!" but then I realised
    there is no way of sustaining an active, fast and fun gameplay anymore.
    All the time switching bars, maintaining different buffs, short duration abilities ...
    every couple of seconds...
    Combat feels more like managing than game play. It's a chore. Tedious and clunky.
    Action-combat in ESO? my *ss!

Enough is enough

edit: a lot of this is because of the awful UI. (targeting? Ugh!)
    Edited by Swiftnoodle on October 1, 2019 7:11PM
    Murphy was an optimist
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    jecks33 wrote: »
    i don't want to go back to the Morrowind meta

We never went away from it.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 1, 2019 7:09PM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    Im not a fan of doing them at melee with an inferno staff. But Im wearing bright-throats now, so that helps.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I hate them so bad, all of my magicka builds are Bretons with False Gods Devotion.
    Playing since beta...
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    kojou wrote: »
    I hate them so bad, all of my magicka builds are Bretons with False Gods Devotion.

Me too, FGD Bretons all the way :D
    And 16 points in HP stamcro with parse food.
    Edited by SeaUnicorn on October 1, 2019 8:19PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    First I wanted to choose "H*LL NO!" but then I realised
    there is no way of sustaining an active, fast and fun gameplay anymore.
    All the time switching bars, maintaining different buffs, short duration abilities ...
    every couple of seconds...
    Combat feels more like managing than game play. It's a chore. Tedious and clunky.
    Action-combat in ESO? my *ss!

Enough is enough

edit: a lot of this is because of the awful UI. (targeting? Ugh!)

Every MMORPG I’ve played has this aspect and you don’t have to micromanage it but of course those who do best will have gotten this timing down. I have never been the best at that but I think it’s good to have levels of complexity and things people can work on in fights once they’ve gotten the basic mechanics down and aren’t dying. :)

At least there are no cool downs on skills and weapon swap!!! I don’t miss that and much prefer a system where I can use what abilities I want so long as I have the resources.

I do agree that a way to select targets would be ideal, or at least a way to prevent me from targeting the pets / summons of my own group! I’m sure they’re targetable for PvP but it seems a needless frustration when they’re your allies, as in PvE.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I don't know whether this is a good poll to answer, because knowing ZOS, if they react to this at all, they will invent AN EVEN CLUNKIER sustain mechanic. So, just to be clear, I like plain outright sustain, because it lets me get on with the game.

I am a PvPer. PvP, to me, is about movement and being able stay in the fight and press your advantage. I loathe having to actively sustain. To be honest, I dislike any and all housekeeping that my class puts in the way of me concentrating on the other players. This includes builds / classes that have elaborate buff and sustain skill rotations.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    I've always used them. I don't understand what the big deal is about it, honestly.

I find the entire idea of restoring resources through heavy attacking to be weird on general principle, granted. It feels like the system was designed backwards - light attacks should do little damage and restore resources while heavy attacks should do heavy damage and perhaps even consume resources. I mean, those heavy attacks look like they take a lot of effort for our characters. Why are they restoring resources? The light attacks in contrast look pretty easy like our characters are taking a bit of a breather.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Heavy attacks have been an excellent way to regain resources in the shortest amount of time. Nothing is wrong with this, it's not broken. Heavy armor offers a bonus to heavy attack resource recovery its been one characteristic on why you don't need to focus too much on recovery when you can weave a heavy attack. Again, nothing wrong.

It's probably the best way to regain resources through a rotation e.g. before or after bar swapping.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Starlock wrote: »
    I've always used them. I don't understand what the big deal is about it, honestly.

I find the entire idea of restoring resources through heavy attacking to be weird on general principle, granted. It feels like the system was designed backwards - light attacks should do little damage and restore resources while heavy attacks should do heavy damage and perhaps even consume resources. I mean, those heavy attacks look like they take a lot of effort for our characters. Why are they restoring resources? The light attacks in contrast look pretty easy like our characters are taking a bit of a breather.

They feel clunky. The game is designed around twitchy casting of abilities and animation cancelling. Channelling attacks feels out of place and disrupts your rotation.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 1, 2019 10:56PM
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    It sucks feels bad always did
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    Well, I'm not really "indifferent", but there was no option for "depends on the build". My issue is not so much with the heavy attacks themselves as it is with the flow of a rotation. If I can figure out a rotation with good flow that involves heavy attacks, I'll happily use it (like on my pet sorc), but on the magplar it might be a problem.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    While I'm tanking? Sure. I can afford to spend the time.

As a DD? Definitely not. Maybe the dual-wiled one since it's fairly fast but staff HA? Nope. I have enough time to log out and swap to my tank before it is finished.