The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What's the best Houses?

• JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    @Catsmoke14 By "Excitement Pills" this one is hoping you are not referring to Skooma.
    Leader Of The Children Of Razum Dar Guild (Khajiit Guild) on All 6 MegaServers

Khajiit Quote Of The Day.
    "These useless senche could only kill a rat if they fell upon it. From a great height."
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Velothi Reverie is a good house for your beginning or as a main. With its three levels and courtyard there is plenty of room to create crafting, living and storage/assistant areas and still have it feel like a house. While I think every dwelling could use higher item counts with ESO+ VR doesn't look empty when you've maxed out the items.
  • winged_tortoise
    This “Walker” thanks you for the useful thread, JusticeForJilarga. I hope you find a nice place to rest your paws and enjoy an occasional snack.

Housing question, can you store much in a house or is it just for decoration?

I too hope to find and home with a nice verdant garden.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Catsmoke14 wrote: »
    Almost forgot. Domus Phrasticus is another boring, plain medium house with a nice yard for building, but a smallish interior, for 295000 gold. No achievement required.

This one must remember to take excitement pills. Clearly this one has no imagination.
    It's good that people suggest other houses too, you never know what a person falls in love with: the key to finding one's perfect home is exposure, exposure, exposure! :smiley: Look at as many houses as possible, visit as many houses as possible, and even check out other people's builds as they can make a huge difference in how you view the potential of a space.

That said, Mournoth Keep and Domus Phrasticus probably weren't suggested because they're not particularly good value. At least that's the reason why I wouldn't recommend them. The interior of the Domus is only 2 medium sized rooms, and while Mournoth is larger, it has an awkward layout on the second floor. Neither of them have any features that make them stand out (their locations aren't particularly good, and they don't have the rare natural water like Sleek Creek does). For the same 290-320k price range Velothi offers a large main hall, 4 small rooms and a medium basement, and Ald Velothi offers a small basement, 2 small rooms, a large main hall and a medium second floor. You can even fit in a whole extra floor between the first and the second (since the stairway is double height, with a landing inbetween), something you can't do in either Mournoth or Domus.

That is not to say that they wouldn't make good homes of course, and it's indeed good that OP gets more ideas to explore than just buying a house after seeing only a handful. Don't take it too personally if others don't agree with the value of your own house, it's fine to like and recommend something that most others would indeed consider 'boring and plain'. :smile:
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Housing question, can you store much in a house or is it just for decoration?
    I too hope to find and home with a nice verdant garden.
    You can get Storage Chests which you can place in your home and you can store all manner of items in them (gear, furniture, consumables, etc). They essentially act as extra bank storage for your house (you can get up to 360 slots if you get all 8 Storage Chests). You can get them with writ vouchers, Tel Var stones, or the Crown Store. The first small chest (30 slots) is free from the level up rewards iirc.

Another useful exclusive feature of houses besides strorage is target dummies. You can get these and place them in your home to practice your combat skills (and there are sadly no target dummies outside of houses). There are also a few unique furnishings which act as sort of mini-mementos for your house. Unlocking the Augur of the Obscure allows you to place this annoying beloved talking skull in your home and he chats with you, you can get a Fan that turns you into a monkey for some time, and a stone mural that sings. Yes, sings. :lol:

Other perks which are useful, but aren't exclusive to houses, are crafting statons and mundus stones. You can place crafting stations - just basic ones or attuned ones for specific sets - which makes crafting everything easier than having to run around the world looking for the right set crafting locations. This also works for the Transmutation Station, which you can place in your home (for writ vouchers or Crowns), so you don't have to access CWC. Same with mundus stones (Crown only), you can get all relevant buffs gathered in one place. These are mostly just convenience, but nothing extra.

So, no, houses aren't just for decoration :smile: Though that is certainly their main purpose.
  • JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    This one is thinking of visiting places, maybe sharing a photo and this one's opinion of the place. Would anyone be interested in listening to this Humble Khajiit as JusticeForJilarga visits some potential homes?

"These useless senche could only kill a rat if they fell upon it. From a great height."
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is thinking of visiting places, maybe sharing a photo and this one's opinion of the place. Would anyone be interested in listening to this Humble Khajiit as JusticeForJilarga visits some potential homes?

If you get an account on the PC EU server, I would be happy to give you a tour. Or you could get the Essential Housing Tools add-on and visit any Open Homes listed there by their owners, some of mine included. ;)
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    @Watchdog This one would love to take you up on your offer. But unfortunately lacks the coin for a decent PC good enough to run ESO.

• Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can preview all of the houses from the Collectables panel (U). Select the housing tab and scroll to the "NOT COLLECTED" heading. After that select the house and go to the preview. Once you are in the preview you can walk around, see the price and look at it unfurnished or furnished. On the PC you get to the price and furnished/unfurnished via F5. I don't know how you get there on consoles.
  • JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    Would anyone be interested in seeing pictures of this one visiting different houses and Justice for Jilarga's opinion of them?

• Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very subjective as it is more of a matter of personal taste. So just look at what house do you like the most.

But, if you want to look for what you can get for X amount of gold and you want your gold to be "well spent" on something that is also functional, I would look at some criteria:
    - Is the house only for you or maybe a larger group of players (Friends, guilds etc. Homes have player cap so if a house is very small, your friends wont be able to go there if you are inside).
    - How far it is from the nearest way-shrine ?
    - How far it is from the nearest city ?
    - How far it is from the nearest Crafting Writ quest board ?
    - Is it placed in a "strategical" way ? (for example a part of the zone that does not have a way-shrine, so you can use your house as a "additional" way-shrine).
    - If one of your characters is a criminal (or you often have a bounty on you), is the house entrance far enough, so city guards wont catch you ?
    - Internal space (is it roomy enough to place crafting stations etc.).
    - Cost-to-value - The Ample Domicile (Argonain house) costs 195,000 gold and Sleek Creek House (Khajiit house) costs 335,000 gold. Both have similar internal "volume" and same furnishing caps and are strategically close to a larger city.

Personally, I would "aim" at Medium Home (those have 200 furnishing cap) and seems to be a good middle ground with price / functionality.

Here is a list of all houses in eso and their cost in gold and stats (furnishing limits etc.) Note - some houses have certain requirements like for example owning certain chapter, DLC or Imperial Race upgrade:
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Player+Housing
  • JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    This one visited Black Vine Villa. Justice for Jilaraga thought it was quite nice. Seemed to be quite good value for Coin/Crown.

9yeh1r9ta4z7.png
    nj7rr4i7qcia.png

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    My main character is Khajiit, and I liked the architecture of the Khajiit houses but they are TINY compared to other races houses. I ended up buying Twin Arches with gold, I think it was around 70k. It has a good sized home and a courtyard for a training dummy, and I put 4 crafting tables on the patio outside. It was great, but I quickly outgrew it.

Only downside is you have to complete Cadwell’s Gold to buy it as an AD character, but I was going to do that anyway.

What do you mean you have to complete Cadwell's Gold?

You can simply waltz to the zone and complete the required quests. No need to do the Main Quest, Cadwell's Silver nor Cadwell's Gold. Just a simple single zone questline.

Well, since it’s in Bangkorai you have to do the entire DC questline to get it. So essentially that was Cadwell’s Gold for my AD character. I was not exaggerating.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main character is Khajiit, and I liked the architecture of the Khajiit houses but they are TINY compared to other races houses. I ended up buying Twin Arches with gold, I think it was around 70k. It has a good sized home and a courtyard for a training dummy, and I put 4 crafting tables on the patio outside. It was great, but I quickly outgrew it.

Only downside is you have to complete Cadwell’s Gold to buy it as an AD character, but I was going to do that anyway.

You can simply waltz to the zone and complete the required quests. No need to do the Main Quest, Cadwell's Silver nor Cadwell's Gold. Just a simple single zone questline.

Well, since it’s in Bangkorai you have to do the entire DC questline to get it. So essentially that was Cadwell’s Gold for my AD character. I was not exaggerating.

I don't understand what do you mean by Cadwell's Gold, then, as that follows Cadwell's Silver. That simply is not the requirement anymore.

I ported to Bangkorai, did that zone's storyline, and bought the house. I didn't have to do the other zones first.
  • daemondamian
    daemondamian
    ✭✭✭
    Captain Margaux's Place in Daggerfall for location!

Only 56K gold for a one large room house that fits in all crafting stations (not inc. transmute or outfit stations) plus other furniture including a double bed and a merchant and banker, has a close proximity to crafting writ boards, the bank, stables and 2 nearby wayshrines and docks to turn in crafting writs.

• JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    This one visited Captain Margaux's Place. @daemondamian JusticeForJilarga thinks that it could be a great place with some nice furnishing.

ry839qj160rp.jpg

• daemondamian
    daemondamian
    ✭✭✭
    I started out with a single bed, large dining table and chairs and the crafting stations.

I always wanted a double bed and wardrobe and after I won a Craglorn Skull in a guild raffle and put it above the fire place things kind of escalated into a less than traditional home which I call an Enchanted Grotto :)

I have 6 stations along one wall with the enchanting station on the shorter wall adjacent to the door.

zn6r8d9x6m3j.png
    8pikdx7fxrn2.png

• Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not since one Tamriel (I think) you can just port to bangkorai and do the quests there as Watchdog stated. Sure if you wanna keep the story arc linear and keep everything in order while doing the DC story arc then in that instance sure you’d be better doing Caldwell’s gold, but if you don’t care about keeping the story in order you can just port to a zone and do its quests. Been like that since around the One Tamriel update. Zones aren’t locked behind anything anymore really
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autumn's Gate is probably my favorite. Nice balance of indoor and outdoor area. Not overwhelming if you are just starting housing and really versatile.

dFdTbkf.jpg

j2e1Gp0.jpg

KnimrBb.jpg
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a character of each race. They all tend to spend a lot of time at Sleek Creek, just for the proximity of the crafting writs and stables. Cat Man Dhou, who owns the property, has furnished in Khajiit style throughout, (although there is a Breton Urn, Striated in the bathroom, as that's the best suited to the purpose, and the bathtub itself is Hlaalu).

My Nord lives at Autumn's Gate, the Redguard at Twin Arches, the Orc at Mournoth Keep, the Bosmer in Snugpod, the Imperial at Domus Phrasticus, the Breton at the Gardner House, the Dunmer at Ald Velothi, and the Altmer at Mathiisen Manor. The odd one out is the Argonian, who doesn't like mud huts either. She has the Exorcised Coven Cottage, and is trying to get the swamp plants to grow there.

We have a number of other small properties and Inn rooms, so we can recall for free without leaving the zone.
  • JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have any pictures of your Khajiit Sleek Creek house that JusticeForJilarga can see @ghastley?

This one thinks that house looks like a nice size @kargen27. JusticeForJilarga wonder what it would look like with some nice Khajiit furnishing and a warm fire.
    Edited by JusticeForJilarga on August 19, 2019 5:33PM

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Khajiit also lives in Sleek Creek. I've added since these were done but here are some images of his home.

V8DGIQY.jpg

8CumF8E.jpg

SLzOYo9.jpg

dHiNUw8.jpg

ksyYRgS.jpg

cJWf4WZ.jpg

A64SP6u.jpg

• JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    @kargen27 This one thinks that your house looks really nice.

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kargen27 This one thinks that your house looks really nice.

Thank you!
  • JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    @kargen27 How many people can visit the Sleek Creek at once?

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can handle you and eleven guests.

You can place 400 items in it. I have 333 in mine right now.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    It can handle you and eleven guests.

You can place 400 items in it. I have 333 in mine right now.

400 items with ESO+, 200 items without.
  • Eirinin
    Eirinin
    ✭✭✭✭
    @kargen27 I like your style of decorating. Great house!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best looking house is my Witches Coven Cottage, which is probably one of the most modifiable housing spaces in the game since the cottage is small you can build over it.

My most useful house is my snugpod because it's just a very convenient location to port into.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Look, I don’t want to derail this thread further, but by doing the zone quests in DC as an AD character (whether by using Meridia’s stone in the Harborage or traveling there directly) you are fulfilling the requirements for Cadwell’s Gold and get the credit. That is the point I am trying to make.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA