The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

IS it bad finding lorebooks before you have opened up the Mage's Guild skill/story line?

all20grand
all20grand
Soul Shriven
Being new to ESO, it just dawned on me that i might be missing something by just picking up and reading all the lorebooks i have come across (although they make for great reading). A little research shows that lorebooks are used to level up the Mages Guild skill line. My question is that if i have not started that storyline, will the lorebooks i have picked up and read be useless to me since i read them prior to starting that quest line? I'm only level 17 with my first character, so i wont have lost a heartbreaking amount of the books, but it will suck to find out that they are useless to me now. Any information would be helpful! Thanks!!!
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    afaik, it depends a bit what you mean by not starting the storyline. If you didn't join the magesguild, then you likely miss them. If you joined the magesguild and took the first quest, but havent done anything in it, its ok.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Also only the lore books with the purple glow/aura count towards the Mage's Guild skill line. Anything you've read from bookshelves, bookcases, book stacks, letters, flyers etc. won't affect your guild ranking.

I would try to join the guild now, though; you don't want to miss out on too much experience.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The books should be retroactive, in that you get credit for the ones you found before you joined the Mages Guild (this is not the same for the Fighters, join them immediately so your Daedra and Undead kills start counting for that, unless something has changed and that is also retroactive, but I somehow doubt it)

Anyway, you get 5 points for each book you read, and 20 points for completing a collection, like all the lore books for the zone you are in. But there are more than just zone lore books, there are also Dwemer Lore Books etc.

However do put points into the Persuasion and Intimidation Passive skills for Mages and Fighters when you can, those can help with quests. And save you a bunch of money to boot.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just go join the mages guild...takes a whole of 2 seconds :p
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭