The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Retroactive lorebook exp for Mage's Guild?

Bloodgharm
Bloodgharm
✭✭✭
I'm currently running a lv 43 stamina based nb and am attempting to respec to magicka. I know I need a few skills from the mage's guild line, but unfortunately I decided against doing any of the quests when I started. I plan to go back and breeze through the story quests, but upon doing some research, I've found that the lorebooks are the primary means of leveling the skill line. I've already collected quite a few lorebooks throughout my faction's zone.

Here's my question: do the lorebooks I've already gotten retroactively count towards my mage's guild exp or am I screwed out of all those exp points? If the answer is the latter, then that's a horrible system that ZoS has adopted. It should be clearer that the lorebooks are used to progress the mage's guild and/or count retroactively if you've already picked them up.
  • Ace_of_Destiny
    Ace_of_Destiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did for me.

O my second character I purposely didn't join Mages until after I found about ten purple books, and when I join I got a nice bump of Mage Skill XP.
    EQUALIZE ALL PLATFORMS!
    IF ONE HAS IT...ALL SHOULD HAVE IT!
    !

)==================================================(
    ~MegaServer~>PS4 (NA) ~PSN~>Ace-of-Destiny
    )===================================================(
    I don't care what platform it is on...an MMORPG without Text Chat is NOT an MMORPG!
  • Bacon
    Bacon
    ✭✭
    Once you start the Mages guild quest line you should get credit for all the books you have already picked up.
    “I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.” ― Winston S. Churchill
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only ever collected the first couple of lorebooks on a character before joining the Mages Guild, but when I've done that I've also received retroactive credit for the handful of books I've collected.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Bloodgharm
    Bloodgharm
    ✭✭✭
    They did for me.

O my second character I purposely didn't join Mages until after I found about ten purple books, and when I join I got a nice bump of Mage Skill XP.

OK. So as soon as I join, I'll be getting a load of exp then. Thanks for the info.
  • Ace_of_Destiny
    Ace_of_Destiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bloodgharm wrote: »
    They did for me.

OK. So as soon as I join, I'll be getting a load of exp then. Thanks for the info.

You're Welcome.

I hope you enjoy your game! :smiley:
    EQUALIZE ALL PLATFORMS!
    IF ONE HAS IT...ALL SHOULD HAVE IT!
    !

)==================================================(
    ~MegaServer~>PS4 (NA) ~PSN~>Ace-of-Destiny
    )===================================================(
    I don't care what platform it is on...an MMORPG without Text Chat is NOT an MMORPG!
  • Morphine
    Morphine
    You dont pay enough attention my friend. Each time you find a book you should see a yellow xp bar in upper left corner that shows xp you got in that skill line. Same as other skill lines you wont loose progress if you respec.

Edit: if you still didnt unlock that skill line you will get all xp after you unlock it
    Edited by Morphine on July 27, 2015 5:00PM