The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! All I can hear in my head is the rolling stones

After every failed gank I seem to hear "I can't get no satisfaction."

And after every PTS update something like "You can’t always get what you want / But if you try sometime you find / You get what you need"

Well IDK about this PTS. I just don’t see NBs being good outside solo play, and even then why bother. You have to really like cloak or the NB theme to stick with it.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Thanks! All I can hear in my head is the rolling stones

After every failed gank I seem to hear "I can't get no satisfaction."

And after every PTS update something like "You can’t always get what you want / But if you try sometime you find / You get what you need"

Well IDK about this PTS. I just don’t see NBs being good outside solo play, and even then why bother. You have to really like cloak or the NB theme to stick with it.
    As someone who plays solo and who does like cloak, I'm down with that. Melee magblade was my main before Caluurion, Zaan, RAT, Swift and Minor Vulnerability from Lotus Fan. Power-wise it's still not really competitive, but it's geting there. I would be very afraid of (melee) magblade becoming popular or considered a better ganker than stamblade. The nerf hammer knows no subtlety. Quite happy to stay under the radar.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed going back and watching alot of fights I get into. I really do not take advantage of mercy like I should, proc wise. I like to think I weave well, but video evidence shows that I will often.. somehow... Not have the crosshairs on the target. Like I watched a fight where the guys half hp o have mercy on 3stack with 10s left and I don't get the proc off to keep pressure.

I've enjoyed going back and looking at videos again
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to complain about the cast time on soul harvest. It is the most annoying change that they have made since I started playing this game in the beta right before launch. It is jarring. It is so disruptive. I get the sound a bunch of times and look down and still have my full ultimate charge or it just doesn't go off and I don't get the sound. They really should remove this. It's causing more harm than whatever good they thought it was doing.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to complain about the cast time on soul harvest. It is the most annoying change that they have made since I started playing this game in the beta right before launch. It is jarring. It is so disruptive. I get the sound a bunch of times and look down and still have my full ultimate charge or it just doesn't go off and I don't get the sound. They really should remove this. It's causing more harm than whatever good they thought it was doing.

Yeah and you NEVER land it after a cc is anyone is not asleep. I've had to get more dynamic is when I weave it in. For a ganker though... Rip
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing bgs more and nbs either seem to be cloak away and hit and run, actually effective in flag games and chaos ball, in death match it's rip unless the other group pugs out.

I've been running my dk more in bgs because my magnb is setup for cp but I kind of want to try and find a setup. With my few days playing the precious statement is what is have found.

I want to theory craft a brawler again. But if IC stays fun I might stay cp
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been doing bgs more and nbs either seem to be cloak away and hit and run, actually effective in flag games and chaos ball, in death match it's rip unless the other group pugs out.

I've been running my dk more in bgs because my magnb is setup for cp but I kind of want to try and find a setup. With my few days playing the precious statement is what is have found.

I’d stick to IC and CP. I’ve done a ton of BGs and don’t think I’ve ever seen an effective magblade spec that wasn’t healing, and even then from changes to the game magblades won’t make good healers.

Brandon plays a ranged magblade cloakblade on PC-EU and does BGs. That might work best.

I don’t think NBs have the tools to brawl.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I’d stick to IC and CP. I’ve done a ton of BGs and don’t think I’ve ever seen an effective magblade spec that wasn’t healing, and even then from changes to the game magblades won’t make good healers.

Brandon plays a ranged magblade cloakblade on PC-EU and does BGs. That might work best.

Thanks for the shout-out. Just to clarify it's Xbox NA! :smiley:

And yes it's still very effective.

Some of my struggles:

-Magplars that pressure hard with a gap closer, Sweeps, Overwhelming Surge or Aurorans, etc. -- Next patch this will be less lethal with the changes to Living Dark and the snare on Sweeps.

-Knockback effects -- I'm psyched about the changes with these on the PTS.

-NBs using Snipe -- I've been on the receiving end of some serious desyncs involving Snipe with a few players.

-Premades -- just shoot for second place and play very carefully.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a healer I use cleanse so in BGs it’s a little different. You mop the floor with dot teams and any ranged builds. Where I struggle is dizzy spammers running a bit of speed. I can’t shake them and eventually run out of stam, with onslaught I just can’t stay up. You can build for tankiness so you won’t get globaled with a dizzy - LA - executioner with onslaught up but eventually fall to dizzy.

Cleanse is a great counter to dots. I’ve been doing less BGs but went against teams of good players trying to play dot specs even in a premade, they don’t get over 200 points and even then it’s from the two other teams killing each other. One button press being a full heal for your team against them makes them trivial.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 3, 2019 10:13PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭

Some of my struggles:

-Magplars that pressure hard with a gap closer, Sweeps, Overwhelming Surge or Aurorans, etc. -- Next patch this will be less lethal with the changes to Living Dark and the snare on Sweeps.

-NBs using Snipe -- I've been on the receiving end of some serious desyncs involving Snipe with a few players.

Whats your build? There for a while i was using trans and spinner thats what i was using for cp trying to keep a brawler alive. Dont really think it was doing good in bgs. Started using btb and spinner with slime and uped my resource alot through jewels. Idk if im on the right track or not havent been doing as good in higher bgs. What kind of style do you play?

Btw whats your characters name? I saw a blue magblade wearing the budi-shirt is that you?
    Edited by WacArnold on October 3, 2019 10:28PM
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    He’s not in a brawler spec. Think he uses a destro front bar and Ele weapon - LA - Clench for a burst/stun combo and dropped merciless.

All brawler builds will have onslaught and jabs to deal with. Stam use BRP DW on their back bar a lot for major protection so can brawl with good burst using dizzy. I’ve been struggling to figure something out for mag but gave up, the pirate smelly nerf hit hard. Templars will outdamage you and outheal you in melee, plus you have to deal with all your resistances being negated and constant aoes and stuns. A warden or DK could make it work because of stamina off-stat sustain but for NB I’d stick to cloak or ranged.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WacArnold wrote: »

Some of my struggles:

Whats your build? There for a while i was using trans and spinner thats what i was using for cp trying to keep a brawler alive. Dont really think it was doing good in bgs. Started using btb and spinner with slime and uped my resource alot through jewels. Idk if im on the right track or not havent been doing as good in higher bgs. What kind of style do you play?

Btw whats your characters name? I saw a blue magblade wearing the budi-shirt is that you?

Caluurions + BTB -- monster set varies -- 1pc PS/1pc Chudan or EG usually

I try to stay at range with Destro/Resto. I've had success with a combination of different offensive skills -- currently I've been playing around with using Force Pulse + Elemental Weapon -- it puts out some serious pressure and the two synergize well together.

My GT is Lich This -- EP main
    Edited by brandonv516 on October 4, 2019 5:02AM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a healer I use cleanse so in BGs it’s a little different. You mop the floor with dot teams and any ranged builds. Where I struggle is dizzy spammers running a bit of speed. I can’t shake them and eventually run out of stam, with onslaught I just can’t stay up. You can build for tankiness so you won’t get globaled with a dizzy - LA - executioner with onslaught up but eventually fall to dizzy.

Cleanse is a great counter to dots. I’ve been doing less BGs but went against teams of good players trying to play dot specs even in a premade, they don’t get over 200 points and even then it’s from the two other teams killing each other. One button press being a full heal for your team against them makes them trivial.

Speaking of the fast Stam guys running dizzy there is a guy on pcna toons name is fastpaced, Stam sorc. (I think I have a video on this guy when on my magplar I might post it, it was a great king of the hill fight that highlights IC combat) Fast as all get out and hits like a dump truck. Only cp640 something and very good which is nice to see. He's in ic alot and has caught me with that combo a few times. Key is with those guys they are so squishy they have to Los. Just pressure and they run to Los, thier game, dont fall for it the way they want. He has caught me with it a couple times and will literally upper/onslaught/reverse cancel I'm taking a dirt nap. Dont play that game. If they trying to brawl I've found the amber setup I have with 1.8k Stam Regen allows me to dodge roll alot. I can see that wind up, roll away from my shade run a sec then recast and add pressure again. Running the swift and steed I am just as fast as the little speed demons so if I can just outrun drop a shade run inside a building, up the stairs, shade, cloak outtie c u next tuesday.

In terms of getting away from them it's just shade and being a ninja. Which I will admit is probably much easier in IC than bgs. I can really abuse elevation I'm houses and the stairs around flags and what not. I would suggest going there more for small scale pvp sometimes its just tv farming, sometimes people will have a 20man boss group for some damn reason. But it's very enjoyable.

So last night in a state of Valium and weed, I was messing with my test dummy on a new kind of burst rotation. Using calu but not really a ganker. I might try to field test it today if I look again and dont find it's absurd
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on October 4, 2019 11:35AM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my struggles:

Brawler is non existent, I played a heavy armor lizard brawler for a long time, it lost viability shortly after Morrowind, when ever they did that armor passive rework. Either way brawlers just don't have the skills or the bar space to work. It's either your Tanky with decent sustain and cam only kill potato's, you have decent damage, ok tank, and *** Regen. It just don't work like it used to. All imo, if anyone has found a way of success I'm all ears
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *** it im still on bedrest so ill just post anyway, i uploaded two videos, one magplar, one my new forum inspired regen build.

you will notice fastpaced is relentless but also very nice to talk to which is what i enjoy, i melt him on this setup being a dotplar with gap close, he cant purge me off, i struggle much more vs him on my regen build, also notice at 5 minutes in when im going down and he comes streaking in, i leave him as fodder. When i come back around he had deleted that grand overloard, as i said just hits hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0393KoTrVbg&t=2s

this one is of a fight vs a few ep, i couldnt quite land a kill, *** up like the two chances i had to thin the herd, but it displays the way i play my regen build. I really feel is I was more consistent on mercy procs I would have a much better time. Also notice my death at the end xD on the wrong bar I fear instead of cloak. What a scrub!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxleuxBedDQ

Edited by GhostofDatthaw on October 4, 2019 1:03PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I could probably rebuild for more speed and do a lot better in BGs, but I haven’t been doing as well so haven’t been doing much. It’s a feast of famine situation; dot builds are a joke as a healer and you destroy teams of them, dizzy spammers are a weakness.

Most stam I see are DW/2H for the BRP dw major protection so aren’t really squishy. They also have punch because of Onslaught.

From a build perspective Amber sounds like a good idea but what would I sacrifice as a healer. My spec has been Swift, Transmutation and Bloodspawn so a pure sustain set would make me less tanky. Without Swift when someone has Onslaught up a dizzy - LA - Executioner can global people and that rules out heavy armour, drop trans and that’s less crit resists. For adding speed abilities there’s bar crunch as a healer and I use dark cloak.

Lack of self healing is a major issue and I think healthy offering can health desync making yourself more prone to burst. It’s easier just to get an alt ready and adapt to an upcoming patch than try to adapt to the current one.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 4, 2019 1:37PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could probably rebuild for more speed and do a lot better in BGs, but I haven’t been doing as well so haven’t been doing much. It’s a feast of famine situation; dot builds are a joke as a healer and you destroy teams of them, dizzy spammers are a weakness.

Most stam I see are DW/2H for the BRP dw major protection so aren’t really squishy. They also have punch because of Onslaught.

From a build perspective Amber sounds like a good idea but what would I sacrifice as a healer. My spec has been Swift, Transmutation and Bloodspawn so a pure sustain set would make me less tanky. Without Swift when someone has Onslaught up a dizzy - LA - Executioner can global people and that rules out heavy armour, drop trans and that’s less crit resists. For adding speed abilities there’s bar crunch as a healer and I use dark cloak.

Lack of self healing is a major issue and I think healthy offering can health desync making yourself more prone to burst. It’s easier just to get an alt ready and adapt to an upcoming patch than try to adapt to the current one.

The only down side to Amber is you are very stat poor otherwise. I have to run necro to get 35k mag with the Regen setup. It's not a healer setup it's a roll like a stamblade and shade around set.

I did run bgs on my old healer build and it was soooo bad, I ran reactive, trans, bs, and yes the lack of self healing is a problem, Templars and wardens ad block cast, we block cast an honestly horrible dot. On by Regen build it ticks 300 less (maj protection vs stealth) and like 2500 less that healing if I can protect it. Spamming blessing was really the only option from what I felt
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The only down side to Amber is you are very stat poor otherwise. I have to run necro to get 35k mag with the Regen setup. It's not a healer setup it's a roll like a stamblade and shade around set.

I did run bgs on my old healer build and it was soooo bad, I ran reactive, trans, bs, and yes the lack of self healing is a problem, Templars and wardens ad block cast, we block cast an honestly horrible dot. On by Regen build it ticks 300 less (maj protection vs stealth) and like 2500 less that healing if I can protect it. Spamming blessing was really the only option from what I felt

Yea, NB healers were reliant on tankiness for survivability because of lack of self healing. Swift + merciless + dark cloak used to be enough mitigation for hots to do their work until Soul Siphon was up. Soul Siphon being interruptible plus refreshing path can’t proc transmutation sort of killed it, along with the onslaught buff and merciless nerf.

Sorc and DK healers have also been buffed on PTS. With every single NB healing ability having issues right now I just don’t see a reason to play a NB healer. A couple patches ago NBs were one of the strongest pvp healers too, but it’s straight to the bottom.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Reslinal
    Reslinal
    Soul Shriven

I try to stay at range with Destro/Resto. I've had success with a combination of different offensive skills -- currently I've been playing around with using Force Pulse + Elemental Weapon -- it puts out some serious pressure and the two synergize well together.

I like to use clench and elemental weapon too, the problem I have is dealing with people who block all the time, especially DK and sometimes Templar. I find if i cannot finish them in one combo with clench/burst, they will just block until they can recover, how do you deal with those people without using fear?
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Reslinal wrote: »

I like to use clench and elemental weapon too, the problem I have is dealing with people who block all the time, especially DK and sometimes Templar. I find if i cannot finish them in one combo with clench/burst, they will just block until they can recover, how do you deal with those people without using fear?

It's just a matter of getting that opening when they are vulnerable, but not being careless by spending too much time on them.

With Cloak we have the power to decide when it's time to move on (in most cases).
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my struggles:

I bet that does hit very hard, I just find it so hard to get away from swallow and siphon. The healing is just too good, its the only way I can stand and trade blows.
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭

Some of my struggles:

Brawler is non existent, I played a heavy armor lizard brawler for a long time, it lost viability shortly after Morrowind, when ever they did that armor passive rework. Either way brawlers just don't have the skills or the bar space to work. It's either your Tanky with decent sustain and cam only kill potato's, you have decent damage, ok tank, and *** Regen. It just don't work like it used to. All imo, if anyone has found a way of success I'm all ears

At some point I have to disagree. I've been running this custom one for a while – https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=180530

And yeah - it's a nomatch to tanky builds on other classes. But still, this one is hard to kill/out-sustain in 1v1. Damage is nice so you can kill not only potatoes. In 1vX scenarios – if I'm against 3-4 and I just can't los them, well, yeah I'm dead anyways.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pijng wrote: »

Some of my struggles:

At some point I have to disagree. I've been running this custom one for a while – https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=180530

And yeah - it's a nomatch to tanky builds on other classes. But still, this one is hard to kill/out-sustain in 1v1. Damage is nice so you can kill not only potatoes. In 1vX scenarios – if I'm against 3-4 and I just can't los them, well, yeah I'm dead anyways.

As a suggestion I'd give these changes a try:
    If you have it use bogdan heavy shoulders and helmet, then use clever alchemist medium gloves and light belt. It'll give you a bit more resistances without changing the build
    I'd try the lover's mundus. It'll be a bit more damage than the one you're using because pen's so important for damage.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my struggles:

I have never been a fan of clever alch, I actually tried it in heavy with spinners a while back and hit ok, had *** sustain which is why you're using lich. I was never comfortable playing around a pot window when I also have to line it with an ult and a bow, especially now that they both are slow af
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭

Some of my struggles:

I have never been a fan of clever alch, I actually tried it in heavy with spinners a while back and hit ok, had *** sustain which is why you're using lich. I was never comfortable playing around a pot window when I also have to line it with an ult and a bow, especially now that they both are slow af

Ye witchmother pot is something I have to run to not rely on lich only. Incap ult is clunky as hell but I just can't find a good replacement.

Some of my struggles:

If you have it use bogdan heavy shoulders and helmet, then use clever alchemist medium gloves and light belt. It'll give you a bit more resistances without changing the build
    I'd try the lover's mundus. It'll be a bit more damage than the one you're using because pen's so important for damage.

I'll give it a try with body parts, thanks.
    Uhm, I'm already running the Lover mundus. UPD: oh I see, apprentice is selected for whatever reason, changed it.
    Edited by Pijng on October 5, 2019 6:41PM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my struggles:

Ye witchmother pot is something I have to run to not rely on lich only. Incap ult is clunky as hell but I just can't find a good replacement.

Some of my struggles:

I'll give it a try with body parts, thanks.
    Uhm, I'm already running the Lover mundus. UPD: oh I see, apprentice is selected for whatever reason, changed it.

I've been having alot of questions about my build and what ult to use and I'm almost pushed to use tether, at least it's aoe won't get dodged like the telegraphed incap does, better in small groups.

I'm really torn on amber also because it is so stat poor I need to find a way for more pressure. However once they nerf dots I'm down to calu reliance I believe. Unless I can still run a double dot skoria build
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever tried the treasure hunter set?

I’ve been using inner light but I want to make bar space and inner light only effects one bar. Now that I’m playing CP with those big crit modifiers I was also looking at Khajit.

Highest I can get in a workable build is just shy of 60% crit, so I don’t think Khajit is worth it because even with an 85% crit modifier 6% healing done looks better, but am not sure.

Eyeballing the math without looking too in-depth into it I’d need over 60% crit for the Khajit 10% healing crit modifier to come out higher than say the 6% extra healing from argonian.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 5, 2019 8:43PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Some of my struggles:

I bet that does hit very hard, I just find it so hard to get away from swallow and siphon. The healing is just too good, its the only way I can stand and trade blows.

In no-CP it does. And because of my sustain I can pressure hard.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No one’s tried a crit build outside clever alchemist? I was thinking crit is supposed to be a NB thing so trying to build around it.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    @Iskiab I did when they changed the racials a little while back, swapped to kitty and ran clever alch and mech acuity. I remember that it worked pretty well but was leading pvp groups most nights and acuity procs and clever alch were too hard to coordinate our group burst and ults around in that setting so switched it up pretty quickly. I ended up settling on acuity and spinners I think and vd in bigger groups.

I’m sure there is still something in one of those builds though, especially in cp you can your crit hit damage modifier pretty high! Impregnable was also pretty much in meta at that time and I was working out that even if my opponent had 4k crit resists I was hitting them at a 1.7 chd modifier.

Honestly can’t remember a lot of the details any more though and would probably work better these days when med and light armour are more prevalent and impregnable less so than it was at that time.
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)