The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does ZOS's combat team understand in game mechanics better than the best pve'rs and pvp'ers

Ayastigi
Ayastigi
✭✭✭✭
If this is poll ends up favoring option 1 more maybe the combat team should take notice yea?

Does ZOS's combat team understand in game mechanics better than the best pve'rs and pvp'ers 279 votes

Yes they do (they are the combat team after all)
18%
SolarikenGilvothItsMeTooSuddwrathInklingsDominoiddennissomb16_ESOWolfpawErelahSaelentkongkimKerinKorCaffeinatedMayhemManwithBeard9Tandorkargen27LarianavonScuzzmanmagictucktuckRinOkumara 53 votes
No they do not (ZOS combat team can't complete eso's hardest content after all)
81%
fastolfv_ESOnexxus_ESOKikazaruvailjohn_ESOiamkeeblerCresCipherNineSvenjaDestruentxMovingTargetNemesis7884ninibiniIruil_ESOGythralRikumarualainjbrennanb16_ESOCoatmagicMaster_FluffNebthet78AlayneStone 226 votes
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Intimately understanding the mechanics is not the same skill set as being able to perform them at a high caliber.
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Does ZOS's combat team understand in game mechanics better than the best pve'rs and pvp'ers"

I don't think they understand them even as much as mediocre PvE'ers and PvP'ers

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really doubt it.

I see them more as an amateur team.
  • Daedric_NB_187
    Daedric_NB_187
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Look at the PTS patch notes for the last couple of updates. It's a clown show with no direction or purpose. They buff and nerf *** with no rhyme or reason. That should tell you how much they know about their own game.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Look at the PTS patch notes for the last couple of updates. It's a clown show with no direction or purpose. They buff and nerf *** with no rhyme or reason. That should tell you how much they know about their own game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUk19cWarI
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • thelawnranger79
    I thought Gilliam the Rogue was on the combat team? I know he’s just one guy but he was one of the best content creators and number crunchers in the game.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really depends which part of the game.

Football Referees have a better understanding of the rules of the game than the players. Coaches understand the strats better than the players... and the NFL understands how to make money better than the players.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've played with and against Gilliam many times. He's an excellent player and understands all the nuances of PvP and PvE. I don't agree with the combat devs on everything, but it really seems like they're trying to improve the game.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    knowing the game =/= able to do content

They create the game and design it, ofc they understand better how it work.
    That doesn't mean they are good player and have nothing to do with.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »
    knowing the game =/= able to do content

They create the game and design it, ofc they understand better how it work.
    That doesn't mean they are good player and have nothing to do with.

One does not follow the other. Einstein gave us relativity but refused to accept some key predictions such as black holes. One could argue some physicists and mathematicians had a better understanding of relativity than Einstein.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a company relies on cheesed stats from biased forum trolls to make game changes rather than actually testing their game, the answer is unequivocally, no.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    50-50. As far as I can tell, they struggle with the necessary changes to abilities which either get praise to some extent(thumbs up to you), or get ridiculed. Because they are trying their best to balance abilities to perform just as amicably in both PvE and PvP.

What ZOS should do is add a “Normalization” mechanic to some of the PvP campaigns. Just like how unoccupied dark zones in Tom Clancy’s the Division 2 have normalization which alter most abilities and Passives to the point of being something completely different that you could only experience in Cyrodiil(PvP only). While some campaigns should be left as they are, just like an occupied dark zone. similar mechanics like that could open new avenues in ESO (while some may disagree) which could ease the tension for the combat team in the long run.

Sure it could take a long time, but if done correctly, they just might make a breakthrough.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand where they are going, but I don’t agree with the direction, but whatever, not my game. The focus is generally PVE centered with normalization that (all classes can tank, heal and dps) with similar performance. In some regards, they’ve done this. I remember awhile ago when everyone was on a magsorc for dps. Obviously there are more options at this point.

However, I like uniqueness and some classes over performing in certain aspects of game play. I liked third bar on sorcs, wings that reflect, and even stronger Jesus beams. But all in all, who will they listen to? They have one part of the community that wants all classes, regardless if stam or mag to parse the same, and another that wants unique. Both will complain. WTF ZOS, my magden ice abilities can’t put parse a nb!!! Game is broke AF!!!!

I know that if I was on the dev team, I wouldn’t bother to even read forums and listen to complaining. You can implement something the “community wants” then get blasted the next day after implementing. Look at necro. Years of campaigning by members of the community, years of “ why are class abilities all stam”, then next day, this class sucks because it isn’t exactly how I want it! I wanted a Skelton army. Come on!!!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is not clear as the developers, the combat team in particular, knows aspects of the combat better than any of us. That does not mean they know how to play the game to the top levels, but then again, most of us do not either.

However in that, one member of the combat team was a top player in PvE raids, vMA and PvP. I think many still remember Gil.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso was not created to be exploit, glitch, and cheat dependent.
    these devs know Exactly what they are doing.
    they are fixing the game and the problems that plague it.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also think that most of the players dont understand the game either.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doesn't seem like it. Vigor gets nerfed back to how it is on live servers. Meanwhile Rapid regen which was healing for the same amount but easier to buff(heavy attack/brp resto), stays the same. Stam classes will have a 13k heal over 5 seconds, while mag classes will have one that does 30k over 5 seconds.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • shaielzafine
    shaielzafine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Gilliam the Rogue was on the combat team? I know he’s just one guy but he was one of the best content creators and number crunchers in the game.

I saw Gilliam the Rogues notes on racial passive changes which just shuffled the meta races around instead of actually being balanced. (Ex. Orc for stamina dps where Breton as stamina dps would be a joke). I don't think any of the devs can complete their own hardmode mini trials they've designed, and if the devs PvP I guess they're absolutely happy with Cyrodiil the way it is then. Because the game's performance and the zerg ability spam like snare spam is so much fun
  • Ayastigi
    Ayastigi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh I really wouldn't care about any changes if performance was better just wanted to see where everybody was at
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they feel the game is perfect on their LAN.
    If they only looked outside their window they'd see the peasants are revolting
    When the next new at least as decent mmo comes out, they'll be treading water carrying our RL gold but still remain afloat.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Highly doubt any of the devs have any thumbs and are remotely good at this game. I’d say they’re in the skill level of your typical LFG zergling who gets farmed
    Or in pve perspective, someone who struggles in veteran non DLC dungeons
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dude they can't even find the password to log in to their pc for work everyday muchless understand the game...
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They know the ins and outs yes, but can ALL, not some, but ALL compete the hard content competently...in my opinion no. Sadly, we'll never fully know the real answer to this poll.

• The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they understand how it should work on paper, but definitely not in practice. It's the same as the tool-tip warriors. Of course, that's why ZOS tends to listen to the tool-tip warriors the most.

Edited by The_Lex on August 6, 2019 7:28PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, on the basis that they are balancing the game around the abilities and playstyle of the many and not the few.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third option : it doesn't matter.

Seems like a rant disguised as a poll ..
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭
    preevious wrote: »
    Third option : it doesn't matter.

Seems like a rant disguised as a poll ..

How is the fact that the team that are balancing the game don't understand game mechanics something that doesn't matter?
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/Bahlokdaan
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    | Magicka Nightblade | AR43 |
    AD | Zevrro II | Magicka Nightblade | AR50 | 09-02-2019 |
    DC | Not Zevrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR33 |
    EP | Ževrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR14 |
    Other PvP Characters
    AD | Zevrro VII | Stamina Warden | AR33 |
    AD | Zevrro XII | Magicka Warden | AR22 |
    DC | Not Zevrro II | Magicka Warden | AR14 |
    DC | Necrotic Zevrro | Magicka Necromancer | AR17 |
    EP | Real-Skyice | Stamina Warden | AR10 |

>156m AP
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Understand" is maybe too strong. They certainly know them, they made them. But I don't think a lot of what they've made (or what they maintain since they haven't all been there since creation) isn't used how I think they think it's used.

I don't think they know the day to day of PvE, and certainly not PvP better than some of their customers. I don't think they know how the tools are used.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But then again, we see a handful of the changes in a small window with no insight as to the direction, if there is one, because their communication is so lackluster.
    Maybe the confusing changes make sense with the larger picture
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for what is worth theres guilliam and he isn't doing a good job so far. Ive never felt like playing pve and pvp less and with this lag and frame rate issues I think it's time to move on. These entire two weeks Ive only played eso twice one for just buying a race token from some sucker and another one playing for mere 20 minutes in pvp because the lag was atrocious along with getting 4v1 by a bunch nobodies that I could had easily destroy if this was 2016 when there was barely any lag, so I asked myself what am I doing here?
    Edited by Kalante on August 6, 2019 8:10PM