The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you support faction locks?

• GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More people hop to the Emperor side then to the underdog side.
    PS4 NA DC
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More people hop to the Emperor side then to the underdog side.

And those players will continue to feature in the multifaction player's PvP montages as the easy victims.
    If you don't put yourself in a challenging situation to learn from, you never improve.
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahtu on AD smh
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell no. It is broken and should be removed. Heck you cannot even abandon a campaign once ended without having to pay gold or alliance points to do it. Even if you character was out of cyro when the campaign ended. Therefore your character had not started the new campaign.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Palidon wrote: »
    Hell no. It is broken and should be removed. Heck you cannot even abandon a campaign once ended without having to pay gold or alliance points to do it. Even if you character was out of cyro when the campaign ended. Therefore your character had not started the new campaign.

There is a new 5 min warning message you get when the campaign restarts. Giving you time to change factions if needed.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    game ruining change IMO since I have absolutely no recourse to PVP with have my toons in the only campaign worth playing.

ZOS is under the impression the game keeps my attention. Incorrect. My CHARACTERS keep my attention.
    Edited by usmcjdking on August 19, 2019 4:49PM
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    Palidon wrote: »

There is a new 5 min warning message you get when the campaign restarts. Giving you time to change factions if needed.

Got the 5 minute warning and left cyro before it expired. Still could not abandon the campaign with my ep character unless I paid alliance points or gold. So I paid the 100k to abandon. When I tried to enter with my dc character said it was locked to ep. The faction lock system is not worth the time or trouble and needs to be removed.
    Edited by Palidon on August 19, 2019 5:04PM
  • SmackNCheese
    SmackNCheese
    ✭✭✭
    The presence of “spys” and “trolls” is so much lower than the presence of all the people who want to play multifaction. I wouldn’t be as mad if the 7 day campaign was more than just night capping/PvDoor. Why ruin so many’s experience for the sake of the few instances where people actually troll or spy?
    NA Mag Player
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭
    The presence of “spys” and “trolls” is so much lower than the presence of all the people who want to play multifaction. I wouldn’t be as mad if the 7 day campaign was more than just night capping/PvDoor. Why ruin so many’s experience for the sake of the few instances where people actually troll or spy?

Those things will always exist. Seem worse on console since the lock. If the majority plays lock why not lock the 7 day and fill it up? But that’s not an argument because the 30 day was always full and we shall never know.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If memory serves, ZOS didn’t implement faction locks to stop spying and trolling, Faction lock supporters brought these up as an argument in favor of locks, and it has seems to cut way down on them.
    Edited by Marcus684 on August 19, 2019 10:12PM
  • Somnilux
    Somnilux
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, all but one of my 13 characters are AD, and that one character than isn't is my PvE DK tank I barely play and don't pvp with.

However, I do not support faction locks. They make no real bloody difference from a campaign standpoint and don't affect anything in terms of population except that the population shifts will happen only every 30 days, meaning a population imbalance in a certain campaign is only reacting to the last event. Ever since the faction locks the main kaalgrontid campaign on PC NA has gotten way less even and far less close than before.

Additionally, it was horrible for the players that had regularly played with friends on different factions, and made people have to chose between friends and guilds if they were active in serious group pvp.

In the end, those folks will adjust and will eventually be less of a painful thing, but frankly I don't think we gained anything and we did cause a lot of pain to regular pvpers.

The whole made up faction spy thing (that never existed), was silly, and if there's anything close to that it'd continue anyway through folks simply talking to one other's friends on other factions or stream sniping. The folks that flopped factions were usually less in response to score, and more in response to moving away from longer queues. The thing is, when a campaign is doing well, the queues get huge on the faction winning not because people swap to that faction but because we have over 1000-1200 regular players trying to squeeze into 100-120 spots, and those who are less active start queuing more to get their multiple characters rewards or better rewards. This is shown by the problem of large queues for the winning faction being worse than it was before the faction locks.

Luxe Khanna - AD, Rank 49 Argonian Magblade Healer
    Crystala Khanna - AD, Rank 40 Khajiit Stamplar
    Guilds: Fantasia, Dominant Dominion.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The presence of spies has always been exaggerated, generally by people who are in, for example, a red zerg, who can't believe that, with dclaw and bruma red, and said zerg having just taken bleakers, that anyone in the game could see through their amazing plan of hitting Aleswell, and how did they know we'd attack from farm side, and they have a whole mess of counter siege lined up against us? No one could see through this tactical genius! SPAIS!

And the worst trolls always have been and continue to be the toxic faction loyalists, many of whom would appear to be the proud owner of a severe personality disorder, and possibly an uncle dad....
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hashtag_ wrote: »
    Ahtu on AD smh

No Backsies!
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Any update on factionlocks ?
    EU | PC
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »

Also hoping for an update:
    a) ZOS has not given much of an explanation for this change that imo (and many others, see above) much reduces the enjoyment of this game for many (while not fixing the problems that others have complained about)
    b) ZOS also has not reacted to the concerns and disappointment voiced by many

Hoping (and I am an optimist :) ) that ZOS will soon come up with a solution that is more inclusive of different play styles again @ZOS_GinaBruno
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭

They said they have no plans to remove them which doesn't surprise me. As illogical as faction locks are, a substantial amount of players support them.
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/Bahlokdaan
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    | Magicka Nightblade | AR43 |
    AD | Zevrro II | Magicka Nightblade | AR50 | 09-02-2019 |
    DC | Not Zevrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR33 |
    EP | Ževrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR14 |
    Other PvP Characters
    AD | Zevrro VII | Stamina Warden | AR33 |
    AD | Zevrro XII | Magicka Warden | AR22 |
    DC | Not Zevrro II | Magicka Warden | AR14 |
    DC | Necrotic Zevrro | Magicka Necromancer | AR17 |
    EP | Real-Skyice | Stamina Warden | AR10 |

>156m AP
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zevrro wrote: »

They said they have no plans to remove them which doesn't surprise me. As illogical as faction locks are, a substantial amount of players support them.

It seems to be about 50/50, but the thing to understand if that of the 50 percent that opposes faction locks, many of them will and have quit playing (or at least they play much less -- and that includes me).

The 50 percent that like faction locks will play and enjoy the game either way because they aren't have anything taken away from them with unlocked factions except maybe a placebo that it's somehow "fairer" with the locks.
  • Tsuriel
    Tsuriel
    ✭✭✭

It seems to be about 50/50, but the thing to understand if that of the 50 percent that opposes faction locks, many of them will and have quit playing (or at least they play much less -- and that includes me).

The 50 percent that like faction locks will play and enjoy the game either way because they aren't have anything taken away from them with unlocked factions except maybe a placebo that it's somehow "fairer" with the locks.

It won't remain like that with the current deciling population. The few who remain loyal to this current flawed system will not have much to enjoy themselves with when the last few people finally leave.
  • linoge63
    linoge63
    ✭✭✭
    I would if and only if I could change my alts to that faction of choice.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tsuriel wrote: »

It won't remain like that with the current deciling population. The few who remain loyal to this current flawed system will not have much to enjoy themselves with when the last few people finally leave.

Half of them are that delusional they'll then declare faction locks a success because they got rid of everyone who isn't truly loyal.
  • Tsuriel
    Tsuriel
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Tsuriel wrote: »

Half of them are that delusional they'll then declare faction locks a success because they got rid of everyone who isn't truly loyal.

That other half is leaving due to performance issues now while declaring Faction lock a success.

That should in fact be be a good one for ZOS's portfolio;
    How to completely ruin the PvP aspect of a game in 5 effective steps.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many PvP'ers just want a fight. I understand the wish to just swap faction.

But the swap had some unpleasant effects. So rather a No from me
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm generally in favor of faction locks, BUT at the same time I agree that there should be some way to offer players more flexiblity.

Either a one-time alliance change token, or a system like in BGs where the character's alliance is overridden temporarily.
    So you could still enter, say, an EP-locked campaign with a DC character, but that character would be playing on EP side for the campaign's duration.

Preventing constant flip-flopping is good and healthy for the campaign - but preventing players from being able to play all of their characters in their campaign(s) of choice is NOT.