The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which zone is the WORST for collecting Surveys?

Cloudtrader
Cloudtrader
✭✭✭✭✭
I recently let almost 200 surveys from crafting writs collect in my bags. It was a terrible grind to go collect them all, taking several hours. While doing them, I got to thinking about how much I dreaded doing certain zones. So I wanted to see what others thought. Here are my top four LEAST favorite zones to do surveys in. Which one is the one you hate the most?

Which zone is the WORST for collecting Surveys? 167 votes

Malabal Tor
37%
Nestordriosketchpgorbas_ESOWuffyCeruleiSoellamertustaNeroBadElsonsoCloudtradermarke1IndorilArwynLlethranCaffeinatedMayhemBergisMacBridemustangmorgan31redspecter23ntheogeniccode65536AlboMaleficaSnowZeniaDiffused 63 votes
Craglorn
29%
SolarikenPinesyJarndyceDarcyMardinIruil_ESOflameweaveranitajoneb17_ESOThrawnielDrevickZephiran23UntrustedExistenzCastanamereforestmages1978HidesFromSunBlkadrShanjijriBouldercleaveNolaArchVDoom1Lumsdenml 49 votes
Shadowfen
14%
xaraanfboostb16_ESOSantieClawsfioskalczarLettigallMagpie_26Cillion3117Oberon45KinnahzAshaerienTai-ChiMetafaeWhite wabbitlientierNoggin_the_NogIldaraFathryontmbrinksMrCThragold 24 votes
Wrothgar
18%
Moloch1514Scootterixiestarlizard70ub17_ESOdeviousthevileApheriusTruthsnarkTheMrSnow1XDark_One13PuzzlenutsAsardesFeric51GlassWise_WillChickenSuckerMarcoPolo184Minyassakarthrag_inakiGBxStarlight_Knight 31 votes
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it’s Vvardenfell and it’s not even close.

Not only are some of the survey sites a ways away from the wayshrine, but you’re also dealing with the terrible topography of the Ashlands and Ascadian Isles.

The Craglorn surveys I look forward to ... because they have a higher nirncrux drop rate versus regular nodes.
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    Malabal Tor
    Ugh, Malabal Tor, the alchemist survey. I did about 60 recently and it almost killed me.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malabal Tor
    There is an alchemy survey to the north of the map where you need to go through a cave to reach it, and an enchanter survey right in the middle of an ayleid ruin full of daedra :sweat_smile: Both quite a bit ways from their respective shrines, so not my favourite to collect.

• bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrothgar
    There is this one Jewelry survey in Wrothgar on a ledge, real pain to harvest if you have multiple copies of the same survey.

Other than that, I make a rule of only doing surveys when I have more than one in a location and only at the end of each week or fortnight if I am lazy. Make plenty of gold for my needs while ignoring them for the most part.

I don't even do the alchemy or enchanting ones, they all sit in an alts inventory. One day when my stockpiles run dry I will do a few.
  • Thrawniel
    Thrawniel
    ✭✭✭
    Craglorn
    Craiglorn. This stupid mountain in the middle of the map and surveys both on top and under it, and I can never remember which ones are where and end up wasting a lot of time running around
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn
    While the nirncrux is a plus, I’m going to have to go with Craglorn for two pretty dumb reasons:

1) I remember how stressful it was getting them before the zone was nerfed (and before you could share surveys between characters) on a mostly crafting character that was not prepared for combat there. Even though it’s easy-peasy now, I can’t help but have some residual jumpiness.

2) I really, really hate the noise the pigs make there. And they do it all of the time.
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    I agree that the Alchemy Survey is a pain to get to and that it does not respawn readily.

Nevertheless, I have opted for Shadowfen.
    • 1. The Clothing Survey is not hard to get to but it does not respawn once there. Ruin your armour fighting mobs to one side, whilst waiting, ride or swim leagues in the other directions and back again.
    • 2. The Jewellery Survey is a long way away and one has to swim out to - and back again from - an adjacent Island before the nodes are ready for harvesting again.
    • 3. The Blacksmith Survey is out-of-the-way and suffers from the respawning problem - but to a lesser degree than the other two.
      PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
    • Scootter
      Scootter
      ✭✭✭
      Wrothgar
      Craglorn I always leave until last for reasons other people are saying. That spot in northern Malabal Tor where you have to go through the cave to get to the survey also sucks.

On the topic of surveys I really need to stop procrastinating because
      eso-writs.png

• Druid40
      Druid40
      ✭✭✭✭
      Probably Wrothgar. The Orsimer may a concerted effort not to have wayshrines close enough to anything important.
    • Imryll
      Imryll
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      bmnoble wrote: »
      There is this one Jewelry survey in Wrothgar on a ledge, real pain to harvest if you have multiple copies of the same survey.

I don't find it such a pain to do multiples: just log out and then back in. The few seconds wait is a chance to refresh your drink. :)

• tmbrinks
      tmbrinks
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Shadowfen
      Jaimeh wrote: »
      There is an alchemy survey to the north of the map where you need to go through a cave to reach it, and an enchanter survey right in the middle of an ayleid ruin full of daedra :sweat_smile: Both quite a bit ways from their respective shrines, so not my favourite to collect.

There is a "shortcut" where you can run up the hill and under a tree to get up there, without having to go though the cave. Almost due north of the wayshrine.

Saves me a ton of time once I found it
      Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
      The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
      61,215 achievement points
    • starlizard70ub17_ESO
      starlizard70ub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Wrothgar
      Wrothgar has a few more annoying places to reach to get at the survey sites than other places.
      "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
    • doomette
      doomette
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Craglorn
      Imryll wrote: »
      bmnoble wrote: »

I don't find it such a pain to do multiples: just log out and then back in. The few seconds wait is a chance to refresh your drink. :)
      You can also preview an unowned house and leave. You port right back where you were standing with everything refreshed.

• Integral1900
      Integral1900
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      At least I don’t have to worry about enchanting surveys, tracked the results for a year and didn’t get a single Kuta. Now I just delete them.... I’ve got so many enchanting mats I levelled two new characters to 50 and didn’t make a dent in the stockpile

Personally I am not keen on the ones in wrothgar but that’s just because they chose the few boring bits of a great zone
      Edited by Integral1900 on June 10, 2019 2:59PM
    • ghastley
      ghastley
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      So many candidates here: there are a lot of surveys placed so that you have to go to the right side of a ridge, or a cliff, or some other impassible barrier to reach them, and the apparently nearest wayshrine is the other side. I've found one survey half-way down a cliff, but I forget where. Went to the bottom, didn't find it. Went to the top, didn't find it. Was lucky enough to peer over the edge and spot it on a ledge.

I suspect the zones in the poll would get different ratings for different crafts. It's usually one really awkward survey that sticks in your throat.
    • HappyTheCamper
      HappyTheCamper
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Shadowfen
      I wish Summerset had surveys. I’d spend hours there just searching for nodes, it’s so damn pretty!
    • reoskit
      reoskit
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Coldharbour. You need to run halfway across the map for them to respawn.

Edit: respawn, not spawn.
      Edited by reoskit on June 10, 2019 4:48PM
    • reoskit
      reoskit
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ghastley wrote: »
      I suspect the zones in the poll would get different ratings for different crafts. It's usually one really awkward survey that sticks in your throat.

That jewelry one in Wrothgar on the cliff. So rude. Worst survey of all. Def use the port in/out (house preview or logging on/offline) options for that one.
    • AlboMalefica
      AlboMalefica
      ✭✭✭✭
      Malabal Tor
      Only the alchemy one, gets deleted upon pick up
    • Reverb
      Reverb
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Of those listed Shadowfn is the worst. But both Vvardenfell and Reapers are worse in terms of proximity to wayshrines and ease of travel.
      Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    • BrianLovesLisa
      BrianLovesLisa
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Scootter wrote: »
      Craglorn I always leave until last for reasons other people are saying. That spot in northern Malabal Tor where you have to go through the cave to get to the survey also sucks.

eso-writs.png

what addon is that O.o
    • Minyassa
      Minyassa
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Wrothgar
      Wrothgar is SO cliffy. You have to approach from the right wayshrine and the right angle, you can't just ride on to the next one without expecting to have to fling yourself off a gigantic cliff and die to get to the next area. Craglorn is pretty bad that way too but at least it has nirncrux to offset the inconvenience of the landscape.
    • Apherius
      Apherius
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Wrothgar

eso-writs.png

Burn them.
    • redlink1979
      redlink1979
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I don't have any problems with picking up surveys. They're kind of easy to find after the 1st attempt. The "worst" are maybe those which aren't close to wayshrines.
      "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
      • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
      • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
      • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
      • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    • redlink1979
      redlink1979
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      phwaap wrote: »
      Ugh, Malabal Tor, the alchemist survey. I did about 60 recently and it almost killed me.

You need to pick them up more frequently or will die bored if you keep picking them up when they're +50.

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
      • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
      • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
      • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
      • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    • Veinblood1965
      Veinblood1965
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      reoskit wrote: »
      Coldharbour. You need to run halfway across the map for them to respawn.

Edit: respawn, not spawn.

Really? I just log out and back in or go look at a house I haven't bought. When you leave you pop right back to the same spot.
    • redgreensunset
      redgreensunset
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      For me it’s Vvardenfell and it’s not even close.

Not only are some of the survey sites a ways away from the wayshrine, but you’re also dealing with the terrible topography of the Ashlands and Ascadian Isles.

The Craglorn surveys I look forward to ... because they have a higher nirncrux drop rate versus regular nodes.

This right here. Spent the morning collecting surveys I'd accrued and Vvardenfell is absolutely my least favorite. It's a gorgeous place and I think I'd enjoy the questing there, but as for collecting surveys... no.
    • Scootter
      Scootter
      ✭✭✭
      Wrothgar

eso-writs.png

what addon is that O.o

@BrianLovesLisa Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter - https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1346-DolgubonsLazyWritCrafter.html

It has several handy slash commands that are not commonly known about.
    • raaphor
      raaphor
      ✭✭✭
      Malabal Tor
      Malabal Tor is the first thing that came up when reading the tltle alone :)
      EU/PC - 9 max level characters (DC)
      NA/PC - 2 characters (AD)
    • Nestor
      Nestor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Malabal Tor
      Anytime I get a survey for Malabal Tor, I destroy it. I don't think there is a convenient node on that map.
      Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
      Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"