The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which zone is the WORST for collecting Surveys?

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    Nestor wrote: »
    Anytime I get a survey for Malabal Tor, I destroy it. I don't think there is a convenient node on that map.

The woodworking one in the center of the map is "normal"
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrothgar
    Nestor wrote: »
    Anytime I get a survey for Malabal Tor, I destroy it. I don't think there is a convenient node on that map.

Eh.. If I recall, the woodworking is pretty short and easy run from a wayshrine and on an elevated ledge right next to a main trail.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• BrianLovesLisa
    BrianLovesLisa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scootter wrote: »
    Craglorn I always leave until last for reasons other people are saying. That spot in northern Malabal Tor where you have to go through the cave to get to the survey also sucks.

On the topic of surveys I really need to stop procrastinating because
    eso-writs.png

what addon is that O.o

@BrianLovesLisa Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter - https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1346-DolgubonsLazyWritCrafter.html

It has several handy slash commands that are not commonly known about.

thanks very much, I have the addon but I had no idea about the slash comand
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    Craglorn
    I would say the problem lies is getting to way shrines and navigating my way there.
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn
    Even if you have all wayshrines unlocked, depending on the survey you may still need to ride all the way around a mountain or lake or whatever it is. Though maybe worth it if you get some nirnhorned gem.
    Edited by VDoom1 on June 21, 2019 6:28PM
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn
    VDoom1 wrote: »
    Even if you have all wayshrines unlocked, depending on the survey you may still need to ride all the way around a mountain or lake or whatever it is. Though maybe worth it if you get some nirnhorned gem.

All while those GD pigs scream at you every time you get somewhat near them
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    I might be a special case here, and I totally get why the other zones are listed here, but hear me out!

I usually do my surveys when I've got multiples of them, like 5-15 of each survey in the game.

I hate EASTMARCH.

for some reason you need to travel half the map away from the survey location for the next survey to spawn after harvesting it. All other zones only make you go about 30-50 meters away to reset it. But Eastmarch will make me travel sooooo far away to get it to update. And if I go almost all the way, then come back, but didn't go far enough, nothing spawned, and I have to travel halfway across the map again.

DAMN YOU EASTMARCH
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    I voted Shadowfen, but the real choice I wanted wasn't here and that is Greenshade.

Craglorn and Malabor Tor seem like they are getting too much hate. There are only a couple nodes that are far from shrines on that map and I know in MT there's an alchemy survey you get far up north that there is a short cut to get to that maybe no many are aware that lets you skip having to go through the cave. Wrothgar does have a couple of incvonient survey nodes as well. But feels like Greenshade only has a couple of convenient ones and the others are in BFE.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    Craglorn I always leave until last for reasons other people are saying. That spot in northern Malabal Tor where you have to go through the cave to get to the survey also sucks.

eso-writs.png

You do not need to go through the cave. Go straight north following the road from the wayshrine (not the shrine in the town, but the one of the other side of the water). As the road curves toward the bridge, you'll see a faint dirt path leading up into the cliff - follow that and it will let you climb it with ease and go right under a tree root and be up top, then you just ride around the mob pulls and get to the survey node.

KcqJ28H.jpg
    Edited by xaraan on June 24, 2019 7:36PM
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Scootter
    Scootter
    ✭✭✭
    Wrothgar
    xaraan wrote: »

You do not need to go through the cave. Go straight north following the road from the wayshrine (not the shrine in the town, but the one of the other side of the water). As the road curves toward the bridge, you'll see a faint dirt path leading up into the cliff - follow that and it will let you climb it with ease and go right under a tree root and be up top, then you just ride around the mob pulls and get to the survey node.

KcqJ28H.jpg

Wow, thanks man! MVP

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why did they add such a painful feature to the game? Is someone a masochist who doesn't care about people having a good time?

It is already a pain to run all over tarnation to get them, but then having to figure out exactly where they are, even if you have the general area, is a very unfun thing.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Ahbah's Landing and Gold Coast is the worst for surveys as they don't have any unlike other DLC's. Why not add them in under the same conditions that they do for surveys to other DLC area's?
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimm13 wrote: »
    I find Ahbah's Landing and Gold Coast is the worst for surveys as they don't have any unlike other DLC's. Why not add them in under the same conditions that they do for surveys to other DLC area's?

DLC (non-chapter) zones don't have surveys, right? None in Murkmire, GC, HB, Clockwork, IC (not that that counts)...

Wrothgar is the exception, but it's a DLC that would absolutely have qualified as a Chapter, had they come up with that sales strategy earlier.

Thus, only chapters + base (and Wrothgar) have surveys, yes?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    reoskit wrote: »
    Grimm13 wrote: »

DLC (non-chapter) zones don't have surveys, right? None in Murkmire, GC, HB, Clockwork, IC (not that that counts)...

Wrothgar is the exception, but it's a DLC that would absolutely have qualified as a Chapter, had they come up with that sales strategy earlier.

Thus, only chapters + base (and Wrothgar) have surveys, yes?

Correct. With Summerset being the exception, as there are none there either.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something or are you?

Go to a Survey location (where you have multipe copies) and collect one, then logout and back in.
    You will get another drop from the next map.
    Collect and repeat till you are out of that map.
    Go to house and Way Shrine then to next Survey location & repeat.
    No extra travelling or waiting involved.
    Malborn
    PC-EU
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrothgar

eso-writs.png

Hold this one's skooma, yes?

surveyCount.png

Interestingly enough, it appears that lazy writ crafter doesn't count Northern Elsweyr Blacksmith Surveys.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    Not doing your surveys is like throwing away coin!

Surveys bring in raw materials which, sometimes when refined, produce lovely valuable yellow things.

Why would you not want to do your surveys?

A few here and there chips away at the survey mountain and before you know if you have enough materials to get you through the next anniversary festival yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Malborn66 wrote: »
    Am I missing something or are you?

Go to a Survey location (where you have multipe copies) and collect one, then logout and back in.
    You will get another drop from the next map.
    Collect and repeat till you are out of that map.
    Go to house and Way Shrine then to next Survey location & repeat.
    No extra travelling or waiting involved.
    Malborn
    PC-EU

And that wastes a LOT of time. Easier many places than running away and back, but I will often run straight in one direction if I can easily do that and return. Some spots are easier at that than others.

Surveys bring in raw materials which, sometimes when refined, produce lovely valuable yellow things.

A few here and there chips away at the survey mountain and before you know if you have enough materials to get you through the next anniversary festival yes.

The frustrating thing is that I have to spend significant time running around picking them up instead of doing things like working on my other characters I would rather do. They also take up a LOT of bank/bag space.

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen

eso-writs.png

surveyCount.png

Interestingly enough, it appears that lazy writ crafter doesn't count Northern Elsweyr Blacksmith Surveys.

I raise. :smiley:

hTeQJE8.jpg

I do collect the surveys, I have one character dedicated to holding them, wait until I have a dozen or so at a location in a location and collect the entire zone. Saves a lot of time that way, and I spend it running back and forth instead of getting to/looking for the survey.

The frustrating thing is that I have to spend significant time running around picking them up instead of doing things like working on my other characters I would rather do. They also take up a LOT of bank/bag space.

Yes, survey collection takes some time... however, I look at it as an accepted part of doing writs. Writs are by far the most efficient way of making gold in the game in terms of time spent to reward, so having to spend extra time to collect the surveys is factored into that. That being said, writs are still profitable even without collecting the surveys, so if somebody doesn't want to collect them, fine. For none of the crafts, do the writs make the most gold, and for many it's behind even the gold you get from just doing the writs themselves (exceptions for Clothing and Jewelry) (these are all based on PC/NA prices, so they may be different based on other servers/platforms).

Thus, it comes down to your own preferences. If you have the time, collect the surveys, if you don't, don't, you have still turned a profit, perhaps you'll have more time later to collect the surveys, store them on a Mule.

There are 144 unique surveys in the game (if you have Wrothgar/Vvardenfell/Elsweyr)... one character can hold them all easily, and that one character can collect them (I have a Khajiit stamblade in Fjord's/Cowards, Steed Mundus, specifically geared to collect them and run around fast)
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malabal Tor
    Only the alchemy one, gets deleted upon pick up

Agree, a lot of these depend on which craft, but this is the only one worth less than the hassel to get so I delete it.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Scootter
    Scootter
    ✭✭✭
    Wrothgar
    @karthrag_inak and @tmbrinks All I can say is wow and I am not worthy lol!
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrothgar
    I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll be able to sell surveys. I am loaded with more raw mats than I know what to do with at this point, and have several hundred surveys clogging up inventory. I would gladly sell them for 50% of the approximate raw mat value just to be rid of them, and I wager there would be no shortage of people willing to buy them at that price.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrothgar
    tmbrinks wrote: »

surveyCount.png

I raise. :smiley:

hTeQJE8.jpg

I do collect the surveys, I have one character dedicated to holding them, wait until I have a dozen or so at a location in a location and collect the entire zone. Saves a lot of time that way, and I spend it running back and forth instead of getting to/looking for the survey.

This one wishes he could "un-collect" them but no matter how many he does, he nets another 10 or so every week (With 13 of 14 toons master crafters, many surveys are had every day).
    @karthrag_inak and @tmbrinks All I can say is wow and I am not worthy lol!

:) Wish they could be sold, tbh. They're not worth the effort, imo, considering how cheap mats are. This one only does them when absolutely necessary.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrothgar
    Feric51 wrote: »
    I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll be able to sell surveys. I am loaded with more raw mats than I know what to do with at this point, and have several hundred surveys clogging up inventory. I would gladly sell them for 50% of the approximate raw mat value just to be rid of them, and I wager there would be no shortage of people willing to buy them at that price.

Or at least have some kind of "survey case" addition to eso+. Imagine the glorious stockpiles of surveys, and any toon in the neighborhood would be able to cultivate them.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I were to pick one zone, I'd have to say Vvardenfell because it has 3 or 4 painful locations. Most of the other zones have at least one survey that is hard to find, hard to reach or just a long ride from a wayshrine.

There are some that I won't go to unless I have several surveys but usually I collect them all in one session when I have about 30-40 locations to go to.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Rick_S1
    Rick_S1
    ✭✭
    Craiglorn! There are two sites where I circle and circle around, not finding where the actual site is. The one above the waterfall, I've searched around and around, up and down. The one to the very south, seems to be inside of a tall mass of boulders that can't be climbed.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *shrug*
  • SipofMaim
    SipofMaim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    Greenshade is my least favorite, but there are two in Shadowfen I just destroy when they come up. Not worth.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowfen
    Blacksmithing Survey in Northern Elsweyr is my new least favorite.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Blacksmithing Survey in Northern Elsweyr is my new least favorite.

Why??? It’s right next to the entrance to Predator Plateau, easy to find.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA