The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Elswyr 2019. Which platform for a casual couple?

• stevenyaub16_ESO
    stevenyaub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC
    PC

Playing this game without addons (just the simplest ones) is like playing an unfinished game.

You can always use controller if you want to.
  • Neoicelord
    Neoicelord
    ✭✭✭
    PC

Playing this game without addons (just the simplest ones) is like playing the game as it was designed by the developers.

Fixed it for ya ;D
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 Pro
    I'd wait for the Switch version. It's gonna be off da chain!
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_lags wrote: »
    Which platform would you recommend for a casual couple that will not be running anything hardcore. Just questing, and maybe mid tier dungeons and raids?

Ps. We both have our own consoles and PCs.

Never console. Console is basically ignored by zos. QOL, terrible (horrible) performance issues, later updates, no pts, no add ons ( some that should be in the base game already), even representation through class reps... We have none of the good things that PC has and all off the bad things, but worse, that this game has. And zos pretends everything is fine.

I would honestly say, at this point, if you cant play this game on PC then dont play it at all. At least for new players. Those of us who have been here fr years are kind of fkd since zos does not offer transfers.. This game should have never been put on console if they were going to handle it like this.
    It’s really not that bad. Lol. Just dont play at all if you have to play on console. Lol. Addons are the big difference. They can be nice, but are in no way necessary. If you already have a decent pc play on that. If not, and you have a console, play on that. If you have a 4k tv/monitor, try to play on a system that takes advantage of it. The visuals are really nice.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC
    I have both, too. I never play on console because it's a pain. No add-ons, which can be extremely useful and which are widely available on PC, and more glitches.

Go PC.
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 Pro
    As someone who actually played a very long time since release on PS4 I can totally recommend it, it's just like people stated above that you are missing out on much. But on the other hand the community on PS4 is more skillful and thus you can do lots of stuff with random groups which you can't on pc.

I also play on pc which is definitely superior to console performance wise, also the addons a nice to have but not really needed to be good, it's just more comfortable.

Costwise I'd say 2 PS4 pro are cheaper then 2 PCs if that something you need to consider.
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Neoicelord wrote: »
    PC

Playing this game without addons (just the simplest ones) is like playing the game as it was designed by the developers.

Fixed it for ya ;D

Buff tracking as designed by developers:
    2zrgv40.png
    Not customizable, largely useless, size of the buff bar flickers back and forth as huge amounts of buffs are refreshed or run out. Clearly the devs have nothing AGAINST a buff tracker, they just can't design one well.

Buff tracking by srendarr, customized by me:
    2agrx93.png
    Only shows the buffs I need, if I wanted more I could add them, if I wanted less I could take them away. I can put them in any frame I want, anywhere on my screen, grouped together in any way. Dozens of other addons available for completely different setups and looks.

Just because something is designed by the developers does not mean it is good. Addons allow for much greater customization and ease of use (inventory addons for example save hours of time in the long run and should seriously be base game).
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC
    PC, gets updates first and more frequently. Also some QoL addons. Don't use Steam though.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 Pro
    Judging from tons of threads i have read over the years in this forum the pc community seems a lot more toxic then the console community. i pug a lot because of my working time and often dont find guildies anymore when i play and i have to admit that in two years i only had a handful bad experinces.

Go for pc if you like add ons that makes almost everything much easier in this game or pick the console for a friendly community :wink:

EDIT: i can only speak for the ps4 but i guess its similar on the xbox.
    Edited by sudaki_eso on May 13, 2019 1:31PM
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC
    sudaki_eso wrote: »
    Judging from tons of threads i have read over the years in this forum the pc community seems a lot more toxic then the console community. i pug a lot because of my working time and often dont find guildies anymore when i play and i have to admit that in two years i only had a handful bad experinces.

Go for pc if you like add ons that makes almost everything much easier in this game or pick the console for a friendly community :wink:

EDIT: i can only speak for the ps4 but i guess its similar on the xbox.

Nah.

I've had a way better time on PC.

This whole "console has better community" is just biased wishing from people who know the game has more to offer on PC, IMO.

Honestly, in hindsight, the "negative" experiences I've had on PC were my fault TBH. Did a bad job on a boss, got stuck, etc.

I regret nothing with my move to PC.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 Pro
    Nah.

This whole "console has better community" is just biased wishing from people who know the game has more to offer on PC, IMO.

I cant really compare them so yeah its bit biased on my side. Thats why i said "judging from the threads here", you can be 99% sure its a pc player that posts a bad experience in a dugeon or complains about other people behaviour. Might be that console guys dont post that often here. I also like to watch xynodes streams at night, he plays on all servers and when the *** hits the fan its usually on the pc. just watch his two latest pug streams on the pc (no toxic players but also not a very nice experience) :wink:

Since the add ons are a big plus pc might be the right choice for a casual player - no doubt about it, i agree with you. All i can say about consoles is that you barely have any crashes and you got a nice community. playing casually might be easier on the pc.
    Edited by sudaki_eso on May 13, 2019 1:50PM
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC
    sudaki_eso wrote: »
    Nah.

I cant really compare them so yeah its bit biased on my side. Thats why i said "judging from the threads here", you can be 99% sure its a pc player that posts a bad experience in a dugeon or complains about other people behaviour. Might be that console guys dont post that often here. I also like to watch xynodes streams at night, he plays on all servers and when the *** hits the fan its usually on the pc. just watch his two latest pug streams on the pc (no toxic players but also not a very nice experience) :wink:

Since the add ons are a big plus pc might be the right choice for a casual player - no doubt about it, i agree with you. All i can say about consoles is that you barely have any crashes and you got a nice community. playing casually might be easier on the pc.

I had more crashes on console by a tenfold.

And the communities are no different.

Famous/popular streamer =/= representation of the wider community.

Actually I'd wager that some people specifically troll names they recognise simply to get their "five minutes of fame", even if it is dumb.

The ratio for nice:nasty players on both Xbox and PC, (I have much time on both) is quite similar, with a lot more nice players than nasty. By nice, I mean either outwrdly sociable and helpful, or at least, delightfully indifferent. Nasty, I mean players who go out of their way to attack and criticise you, without really offering anything constructive.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Which platform would you recommend for a casual couple that will not be running anything hardcore. Just questing, and maybe mid tier dungeons and raids?

Ps. We both have our own consoles and PCs.

No matter what your playstyle I would always recommend the PC version over the console. The reason has mostly to do with the fact you can install addons on PC and the fact that the vanilla ESO version is very lacking in a number of key areas, especially UI. One example is trying to buy stuff from guild traders without Awesome Guildstore addon. I mean it is possible to buy things without it... but try finding unknown motifs, recipes or gear for research using the vanilla guild trader... yrgh, that's like the difference between a brand new ferrari and an old rusty battered car on a smelly junkyard. This is still true even AFTER they did their guild trader overhaul. It still sucks major molag balls.

There's also the Dressing Room addon that allows you to switch entire gear sets with a single hotkey. which is incredibly useful if say you wanted to switch between healer, tank, dps or pvp specific sets.

Or try finding skyshards or lorebooks without those addons with the same name (of course some prefer to find them the long tedious way and that's okay, but for the rest of us...).

Dont buy the Steam version though, at times you wont be able to login, and that's how it has been for years now, probably wont ever change. Dont know if Steam is to blame or ZOS, but in any case the issue persists.
    Edited by Jayman1000 on May 13, 2019 2:19PM
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    PC has the overall better user experience. PC can do everything console version can and much more. Only exception would be the ingame voice chat but PC has alot of options on that matter, you can play on PC with a joystick if you want too.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC
    i think the answer is : what platform do you currently have ?

regardless you a hardcore or casual player, platform don't matter....well at the most part, at least in PC you can use addon
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Aireal
    Aireal
    ✭✭✭
    PC
    Which ever platform you are most comfortable with... That said, I use a PC with a 360 controller... it's what I am most comfortable with.

Each has good and bad points.
    Life is about the journey...cause it all ends the same
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PC
    PC

Fixed it for ya ;D

It was only designed that way because of the limitations of consoles. The game could have been so much better if it was exlusive to PC.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Given that you already have both PCs and consoles available, I'd have to put my vote towards PC.

If only because mouse+keyboard is easier than controller, and because of the option of addons. (I just use a handful, for informational/QoL purposes, but they're quite nice.)

PC

Fixed it for ya ;D

You do realize that the developers were also the ones who built the addon system into the PC version, right? Addons aren't a hack, they're a modular system that has the support of the program.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on May 13, 2019 4:55PM
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 Pro
    Most PC players need addons to help them game better, you will find more elitists on the PC I mean just look at forums about systems and you will find some idiot yelling PC Master Race and telling you how much better their PC is.

PS4 is a bunch of chill unless you're doing PVP but I am sure PC has just as many *** if not more in PVP.

Personally to me I've always seen PC gaming as the true nerd, console gamers are chill casual nerds. No one on console is trying to get the best specs out of games, on console a game releases and I dont have to worry if I am running off the minimum requirements.

It's just easy.
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC
    Chelo wrote: »
    Why does everyone is voting for PC?

He said they are CASUALS...

Um. . Hmmm. Doesnt matter if they are casuals or not, and being a casual isnt being limited to pc or console (btw where the hell did you get that idea that consoles are only for casuals from anyways?) What matters is what they both enjoy together.
    SkerKro wrote: »
    ... in the end, it is really about what you both really enjoy more as a couple together and solo.

• Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    PC....the console communities are a dumpster fire.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Just don't gimp yourselves by playing MMOs on consoles. More so when cloud based gaming computing technology, exist in today's times!

I us 'Shadow' gaming cloud btw. But 'Nivida's GeForce Now' cloud is okay too and it's free if you can get into the beta!
  • Cortimi
    Cortimi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox One X
    Xbox One X. I switched from PS4, couldn't be more happy. I get the best graphics, a steady framerate, and most importantly, none of the crap PC versions always have, like bugged add-ons, hackers, etc.
    Xbox NA: Soviet Messiah
    EP: Cortimi - Imperial StamDK
    EP: Melga - Orc StamDen (Dah Bear)
    EP: Narileya - Nord StamPlar (Mad cuz Bad)
    EP: Corvaera - Bosmer Orc StamSorc (RIP)

PS4 NA (Retired at CP835): Soviet-Messiah:
    EP: Cortimi - Imperial StamDK
    DC: Melga gra-Antilae - StamDen
    AD: Corvaera - Bosmer StamSorc
    Urvoth wrote: »
    CP is a crutch for people who can’t sustain and want to be "tanky" so they aren’t immediately punished for making mistakes.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Chelo wrote: »
    Why does everyone is voting for PC?

He said they are CASUALS...

see my post above for one of the reasons

1. casuals on pc exist and are plentiful
    2. more importantly - they are planning on playing as a couple and its easier to play in the same room on PC. as a couple. people generally don't tend to have multiple TV's in the same room, so they would be playing in separate rooms. its one of the reasons why SO and I tend to exclusively play games together on PC. especially since split screen is all but nonexistent for consoles and definitely doesn't exist in ESO.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 Pro
    I played on PC and PS4. I stuck with PS4 mainly due to my game library being mostly on that platform. Community is fairly chill in the right circles. Easy to jump into a group and run dungeons or trials on normal. Plenty of PvErs in Craglorn have been nice enough to explain mechanics.

Questing is also really chill experience. I completed Cadwell's Silver/Gold on one toon, and found it to be a very relaxing experience. It took awhile to complete those zones, but I always felt like I had room to breathe and would occasionally see another person doing the same quest.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xbox One X
    PC, if you can't play without addons to tell you when to reapply buffs, cleanse and recast curse 😉😎😘
    The Gaming Rev
    YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Magicka Nightblade, Breton
    Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox One X
    Console if for no other reason than since you're a casual couple and still like being around each other there might be time for some romantic "extracurricular activities" during your game play, and you'd be surprised at the freedom wireless controllers and a couch can provide for other seating/positional options while you both still play the game. Much more so than being tethered to a mouse and keyboard.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Tandor wrote: »
    PC, but avoid Steam and buy the game direct from ZOS.

This.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    PC for the simple reason that a 5 or 6 foot wide desk is enough for both of you to play at side by side.

And you have Addons
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind this is a biased poll as the vast majority of forum users are PC players.