The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Elswyr 2019. Which platform for a casual couple?

• Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Feric51 wrote: »
    Console if for no other reason than since you're a casual couple and still like being around each other there might be time for some romantic "extracurricular activities" during your game play, and you'd be surprised at the freedom wireless controllers and a couch can provide for other seating/positional options while you both still play the game. Much more so than being tethered to a mouse and keyboard.

does ESO have split screen? would you have to connect 2 different consoles to the same screen and then hope TV have split screen? do you just have 2 TV's next to each other in the same room, so you can both play ESO on the same couch?

I'm just trying to understand the logistics of it.

since for me, playing together is why PC wins over modern consoles. and by together I mean the same game in the same room, on separate accounts.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox One X
    Linaleah wrote: »
    Console if for no other reason than since you're a casual couple and still like being around each other there might be time for some romantic "extracurricular activities" during your game play, and you'd be surprised at the freedom wireless controllers and a couch can provide for other seating/positional options while you both still play the game. Much more so than being tethered to a mouse and keyboard.

does ESO have split screen? would you have to connect 2 different consoles to the same screen and then hope TV have split screen? do you just have 2 TV's next to each other in the same room, so you can both play ESO on the same couch?

since for me, playing together is why PC wins over modern consoles. and by together I mean the same game in the same room, on separate accounts.

I suppose the split screen capabilities would depend on the TV. I've never experimented with my TV, but since the consoles would be coming from two separate HDMI ports, there might be the possibility that certain TVs have that function. This would almost require you both to be wearing headsets though since the ambient TV sound would not be synced.

My thought was that there would be two TVs in the same room. My son and I have done this - me on the 55" and he was stuck with the 39" though... I would assume in the OP's case that any size deficiencies would most likely favor the Mrs. if the relationship is to last.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Master race :trollface:
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC

I suppose the split screen capabilities would depend on the TV. I've never experimented with my TV, but since the consoles would be coming from two separate HDMI ports, there might be the possibility that certain TVs have that function. This would almost require you both to be wearing headsets though since the ambient TV sound would not be synced.

My thought was that there would be two TVs in the same room. My son and I have done this - me on the 55" and he was stuck with the 39" though... I would assume in the OP's case that any size deficiencies would most likely favor the Mrs. if the relationship is to last.

I'm kinda jealous over the size of your living room, or game room whichever room you have those double TV's in - cause my living room has decent space for one 50 inch TV and another one would just.... not really work at all (and then i start considering the amount of extra cleaning a room that bog would require, and jealousy dies down a bit)

So and I have our PC's set side by side in one of the smaller spare bedrooms. since you tend to set so much closer to a pc, screen doesn't need to be nearly as large to give you all the detail you may want. comfy chairs, ability to rebind out keybinds to whatever is most comfortable to each of us (we don't use the same keybinds) and we are good to go. seriously, I have nothing against consoles - I have a ps4 in a living room, and nostalgic ps2 attached to home gym tv, but the fact that i cannot rebind hotkeys on a controller is a MAJOR drawback. cause some games like to flip what their buttons do, so I would end up dying becasue i JUST got used to circle being my "go into cover" button, only for the next game I play use it as - vault over obstacle" key. /end rant.

seriously, forget addons, or higher graphical settings. flexible keybinding is probably number ONE reason why i will always prefer pc to controller, regardless of how casually i'm playing a game.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox One X
    I play on both PC and console.

PC has addons.

Console is vastly more convenient otherwise, and the UI is optimized out of the box (no dinking around with settings, GPUs, to-MAY-toes, to-MAH-toes, or anything like that).

You CAN get better FPS on PC...if your system has the horsepower. If not, you're either getting about the same FPS as on console or playing around with graphics settings to get it to work right.

The biggest determining factor, however, is where the majority of your friends play.

For those reasons, I "main" my xbox account.

YMMV.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend Craig's List. All sorts of people looking to try new things casually, even with couples.
    Edited by srfrogg23 on May 13, 2019 10:00PM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox One X

I'm kinda jealous over the size of your living room, or game room whichever room you have those double TV's in - cause my living room has decent space for one 50 inch TV and another one would just.... not really work at all (and then i start considering the amount of extra cleaning a room that bog would require, and jealousy dies down a bit)

So and I have our PC's set side by side in one of the smaller spare bedrooms. since you tend to set so much closer to a pc, screen doesn't need to be nearly as large to give you all the detail you may want. comfy chairs, ability to rebind out keybinds to whatever is most comfortable to each of us (we don't use the same keybinds) and we are good to go. seriously, I have nothing against consoles - I have a ps4 in a living room, and nostalgic ps2 attached to home gym tv, but the fact that i cannot rebind hotkeys on a controller is a MAJOR drawback. cause some games like to flip what their buttons do, so I would end up dying becasue i JUST got used to circle being my "go into cover" button, only for the next game I play use it as - vault over obstacle" key. /end rant.

seriously, forget addons, or higher graphical settings. flexible keybinding is probably number ONE reason why i will always prefer pc to controller, regardless of how casually i'm playing a game.

@Linaleah I definitely feel you on the controller button mapping situation. I've played on all three generation of Xbox and that was always my biggest issue with bouncing back and forth between games - two glaring examples being ESO and any of the Fallout series (can't remember the exact button at the moment, but one I used a lot in ESO would enter my character into V.A.T.S. mode on Fallout when I was really just wanting to do something else).

At this point I just deal with it by playing only one game at a time - which basically means I have 3-4 titles sitting wrapped in cellophane biding their time while I main ESO.

As for my room with the TV's. It's the lower level of a split-level home (play room/toy room/boys' cave) and I put the smaller TV on my computer desk adjacent to my main TV stand while we were playing, then stashed it when we were done. Definitely not big enough to permanently display two televisions.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Aireal
    Aireal
    ✭✭✭
    PC
    You know you can remap the controller buttons? I did the "D" pad added what I wanted took away a function I didn't use. I'm seriously Dyslexic and yet I manage to pop between ESO ( PC) / Skyrim ( PC ) / DA: I ( X-box 1), The other DA games I have on PC... I'll get DA;I also, just haven't.

The biggest con is that you don't get as many hotkeys on the controller.
    Life is about the journey...cause it all ends the same
  • Betty_Booms
    Betty_Booms
    ✭✭✭
    Addons... they are life changing...
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Add-ons. If you want to use a controller, you can. Better performance.

It's a pretty obvious choice imo.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Aireal wrote: »
    You know you can remap the controller buttons? I did the "D" pad added what I wanted took away a function I didn't use. I'm seriously Dyslexic and yet I manage to pop between ESO ( PC) / Skyrim ( PC ) / DA: I ( X-box 1), The other DA games I have on PC... I'll get DA;I also, just haven't.

you can. on PC. which is why I prefer pc :D you cannot remap controller buttons on a console unfortunately :(
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC
    Do you wanna wait several weeks while XBox and PS4 get updates that everyone on PC already has? Do you want to be able to use addons to make the game more user friendly? I have no idea what the performance is on console, but just based on those 2 things I don't think I could ever tolerate the console version.
    love is love
  • Aireal
    Aireal
    ✭✭✭
    PC

you can. on PC. which is why I prefer pc :D you cannot remap controller buttons on a console unfortunately :(

https://howtogeek.com/254132/how-to-remap-your-xbox-one-controllers-buttons/ ... Sorry, but you can, the game doesn't recognize that you did it ( on console ) you just have to know what you did.
  • Ballcap
    Ballcap
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 Pro
    For casual play, nothing beats sitting on the couch with a controller. I’m sure I can get better graphics and add ons, whatever. I don’t care. I don’t play the game for its gritty realism.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC

https://howtogeek.com/254132/how-to-remap-your-xbox-one-controllers-buttons/ ... Sorry, but you can, the game doesn't recognize that you did it ( on console ) you just have to know what you did.

I... don't play on xbox (most games that interest me on xbox are cross platform with pc nowadays, so there is no point, especially with Master chief pc collection on the horizon), so i stand corrected about THAT. as far as i know, ps4 doesn't let you remap anything. edited to add. i cannot seem to open your link, so please clarify. are we talking remapping xbox controller while playing ON xbox, or remapping it while using it on pc? because you know... that kinda makes a difference.

also, i'm hapy that you pop without trouble between games. I'm not so awesome and amazing at games. it takes me a minimum of 20 minutes of game-time to fight my muscle memory into submission and in a meantime i am NOT enjoying myself, so honestly? why should i torture myself that way other then for console exclusive? yeah....

P.S. personaly, i find keyboard and mouse far more comfortable then controller regardless. so for me I will ALWAYS chose PC over console whenever possible. dualshock controllers are the only ones I don't hate, but i don't love them either. xbox controllers can go die in a fire, they feel awful in my hands and I despise it that standard controller has its joysticks not symmetrical. yes I know there are fancy controllers for xbox that do, but if i'm starting to go into that, why not just go ahead and stick to pc and keyboard which is what i prefer anyways? since at that point monetary investment starts to become roughly equal. and it still doesn't fix the fact that the shape of the controller feels awful in my hands. AAANYWAYS. there are many reasons for my personal preference and controllers not being the most comfortable for me, especially the part where you are stuck with whatever default scheme publisher decided to go with? is big part of the reason. for ME. for OP specificaly I suggested pc, also because they plan on playing is a couple and unless they have a similar setup to above where they can play on console in the same room... PC tend to be easier to play in the same room on.
    Edited by Linaleah on May 16, 2019 4:08AM
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Aireal
    Aireal
    ✭✭✭
    PC

I... don't play on xbox (most games that interest me on xbox are cross platform with pc nowadays, so there is no point, especially with Master chief pc collection on the horizon), so i stand corrected about THAT. as far as i know, ps4 doesn't let you remap anything. edited to add. i cannot seem to open your link, so please clarify. are we talking remapping xbox controller while playing ON xbox, or remapping it while using it on pc? because you know... that kinda makes a difference.

also, i'm hapy that you pop without trouble between games. I'm not so awesome and amazing at games. it takes me a minimum of 20 minutes of game-time to fight my muscle memory into submission and in a meantime i am NOT enjoying myself, so honestly? why should i torture myself that way other then for console exclusive? yeah....

P.S. personaly, i find keyboard and mouse far more comfortable then controller regardless. .

I have no clue about the PS4.. we have one, but I never use it... Hubby got it for a couple of 'exclusives' that he likes. I play ( mostly ) on PC now.. though I have an X-box one of my own. It's not hooked up atm, because I haven't bothered since we moved.

I remapped out of the game - 360 controller on PC , most are the same, I just changed a few things. There are configuration settings IN game though, but pre-programmed. Now I know I remapped on my 360 IN the configuration settings of the 360, but I haven't bothered wth the x-box one because the keys are basically where I want them anyway. Only reason I did on the PC controller is because I wanted a few more 'hot keys'

As I said, I am Dyslexic.. I play DA and DA;O ( and a few other older games ) with keyboard and mouse and I can only do it if I am not tired at all.. plus I pause.. a lot, and I do mean A lot! I can't manage to use the mouse with my right hand and I don't want to rebind all the keys to the right side of the keyboard, so I end up using my right hand with WASD..

About swapping easy... you have to understand that I have been playing the same few games for years. Oblivion, Skyrim, DA, DAO, DAI, Neverwinter Nights ( all of them ) Fable I, II, III - RDR, DCM ( 1-4 ), Gear's of War, .. ESO is my newest game and.. the UI is simpler when you use a controller..

I have many friends that prefer keyboard and mouse.. and most don't understand why I prefer the controller.. but it's simple, I have only been playing video games for 12 yrs ( not including Pong when I was in Elem school and Frogger in middle / High school.. OH and Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy in High school ) .. and I played on 360 for most of those 12 yrs.

I polled PC, but answered whatever is most comfortable, because that is what makes anyone's game more fun.

• HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Ballcap wrote: »
    For casual play, nothing beats sitting on the couch with a controller. I’m sure I can get better graphics and add ons, whatever. I don’t care. I don’t play the game for its gritty realism.

I can do that on my PC too
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • darkstar2084
    darkstar2084
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC
    PC no doubt you can use an xbox controller if you want and get all the extra juicy add ones and high graphic settings, FPS
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PC
    You'll get a lot more enjoyment from PC, in my opinion. Console, for one, can't adjust their graphics, so they don't get as good of performance pretty much anywhere. PC also has soooo many nice add-ons that help you integrate into the game, and make more "casual" tasks a lot more enjoyable. Things like the crafting writ add-ons you can get, the easier tracking for all crafting needs like which motifs you have and which traits you have researched, etc.

Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • deadsheepb14_ESO
    deadsheepb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    PC
    PC

https://www.lyncconf.com/best-eso-addons/

Just a few of those makes the game way better.
  • HiLyfe808
    HiLyfe808
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC
    Keylun wrote: »
    Console has less toxic players than PC

Playing on xbox from eso launch and switching to PC about a year ago, from experience that is not true. I'm glad i made the switch most people were way more friendly and welcoming than xbox was in the 4 years i played.

@blaineswing_ESO Play where you feel most comfortable. If you have friends on console and you feel better on console do it. If you want to play on pc for other reasons cool. But at the end it's a long ride haha so play where you will enjoy your time.
    Edited by HiLyfe808 on May 16, 2019 7:38PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC
    This game is objectively better on PC by virtually any metric that you can think of. There are only 2 legitimate reasons to pick anything but a PC.

1. You can't afford a PC.
    2. The people you really want to play with are already on console.

That is pretty much the end of the list as far as I am concerned, and neither seem to apply to your scenario.