The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Whirling Blades

techprince
techprince
✭✭✭✭✭
Whirling Blades should lose 50% damage bonus and revert the range from 6m back to 5m. Add the reduced cost back to this morph.

As for the people asking why, base ability got 50% damage boost, cost reduction and 1m range boost. Steel Tornado lost its execution. Whirling Blades now has execution but lost eveything else.

Inshort, Steel Tornado now does 50% more damage all the time, hits wider with reduced cost where as Whirling Blades hits as hard as Steel Tornado WITH execution on top of it but with less range.
Edited by techprince on April 27, 2019 5:48PM
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why?
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

Seriously?
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techprince wrote: »
    Why?

Seriously?

Indeed, I think he is serious... I mean, I know it’s because you got packed and you feel the need to run to the forum and cry for nerfs, but I think that person wants an answer.
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whirling Blades should lose 50% damage bonus and revert the range from 6m back to 5m. Add the reduced cost back to this morph.

What would be the point of choosing whirling blades over steel tornado then? How many people use whirling blades over steel tornado on live?

Edit: Grammar
    Edited by Arcanasx on April 23, 2019 10:24PM
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All that needs to be done is for the buff to AOE damage across the board to be reverted back to live values. This suggestion would kill the skill.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arcanasx wrote: »

What would be the point choosing of whirling blades over steel tornado then? How many people use whirling blades over steel tornado on live?

He is obv talking about the execute morph, you know the one everyone will be using over the non execute morph.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raammzzaa wrote: »
    Why?

Seriously?

Indeed, I think he is serious... I mean, I know it’s because you got packed and you feel the need to run to the forum and cry for nerfs, but I think that person wants an answer.

I would agree. We know Zos wants constructive feedback and what OP failed to do so since they chose to not provide any reasoning, especially comparisons from testing on PTS vs live.

In other words, speak to why you think it should be X. Give it meaning and show you put some real thought into this.
    Edited by idk on April 23, 2019 10:37PM
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

What would be the point choosing of whirling blades over steel tornado then? How many people use whirling blades over steel tornado on live?

He is obv talking about the execute morph, you know the one everyone will be using over the non execute morph.

What I'm saying is that using a 5m skill and only starting to do more damage when the target is under 50% hp as opposed to steel tornado that would do more damage above 50% and has 4m of extra range, becomes an easy choice. A lot of people seem to underestimate what the extra range will do for you, and that's the reason why steel tornado is far more popular than whirling blades on live right now. Yes, I am aware that the proposed whirling blades would be a better "execute" than steel tornado, that would require you to be on top of your target (you need to consider latency), but at that point there would be much better skills available for actually taking out that target.
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Why?

Seriously?

I would agree. We know Zos wants constructive feedback and what OP failed to do so since they chose to not provide any reasoning, especially comparisons from testing on PTS vs live.

In other words, speak to why you think it should be X. Give it meaning and show you put some real thought into this.

I completely agree - constructive feedback is especially important right now after making a change. I am also personally admittedly easily triggered by any obvious "please nerf" post... ;)

Personally, I think both of these morphs are in a really good spot now, and I'm struggling to decide which one I want to run when use dual wield. I feel like both hit hard enough now to do damage, at reasonable cost, and I've been trying to decide if I should spec for range or the execute - based on what group comp our guild group has. In contrast to the other weapon skill changes that I'm a little disappointed by (eg. dizzy... apparently its a pve skill now?) - I feel pretty good about this one.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

Seriously?

I got packed? do you day dream or delusional or both? did you read the patch notes? 50% damage boost to BASE + execute.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What would be the point of choosing whirling blades over steel tornado then? How many people use whirling blades over steel tornado on live?

This is PTS, not Combat Mechanics. Base damage boost is applied to BOTH morphs. One has additional range and one has execute. This is Steel Tornado on steroids with 3m less range. This does not solve the problem of Spin To Win. It still is Spin To Win.
    Edited by techprince on April 24, 2019 12:31AM
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rikumaru wrote: »
    All that needs to be done is for the buff to AOE damage across the board to be reverted back to live values. This suggestion would kill the skill.

Thats what i am saying..... to revert the 50% base damage buff which will bring it back to live values.... like people even read?
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Why?

Seriously?

Isnt it obvious? did you see the tooltip damage on it?
    Edited by techprince on April 24, 2019 12:42AM
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is PTS, not Combat Mechanics. Base damage boost is applied to BOTH morphs. One has additional range and one has execute. This is Steel Tornado on steroids with 3m less range. This does not solve the problem of Spin To Win. It still is Spin To Win.

"Spin2win" isn't the only AoE being buffed. And the way your OP looks it sounds like you want to revert the damage bonus on only whirling blades.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Spin2win" isn't the only AoE being buffed. And the way your OP looks it sounds like you want to revert the damage bonus on only whirling blades.

Exactly.
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly.

Which would just make whirling blades an inferior skill compared to tornado and other AoEs.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly.

Which would just make whirling blades an inferior skill compared to tornado and other AoEs.

One is AOE with upfront damage having high cost, another is supposed to be an execute with low cost. Choose one. You already have an AOE morph.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    everyone is talking about whirling blades and steel tornado but have you guys seen the tooltip on power extraction? here mine on the pts with no buffs.

gmFZNAX.jpg

and whirling blades/steel tornado

befkvE1.jpg

power extraction is crazy.

here is surprise attack on that same toon-

BXd7KqF.jpg

why would anyone use surprise attack instead of power extraction now?
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on April 24, 2019 1:43AM
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly.

One is AOE with upfront damage having high cost, another is supposed to be an execute with low cost. Choose one. You already have an AOE morph.

There would also be a difference of 4m range between them, and a small cost difference. I know which one would be better, especially when you consider the one that does more upfront damage would also bring the target to a lower hp faster, and hence put them on the defensive more quickly.

How it is on the PTS there is the choice between a bigger radius that has the potential to hit more targets and is easier to hit with, or one that's more compact with more potential damage (you get to choose one of those). You're also conveniently leaving out other buffed AoEs that have also had a damage increase, such as brawler (great shields tied to an offensive ability that can be spammed) and bombard (immobilizes and snares from 20m cone distance, that can also be spammed) and if you cannot see the great utility of those skills as they are on PTS I don't know what else to say.

If whirling blades is too strong, then the other AoEs are too strong as well, and you should advocate for toning down AoEs across the board instead of tunnel visioning on whirling blades. What I'm seeing from all the whirling blade alarmists is "this AoE has the greatest damage potential compared to other AoEs and therefore, must be the best AoE for all possible scenarios".
    Edited by Arcanasx on April 24, 2019 2:11AM
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

Seriously?

I got packed? do you day dream or delusional or both? did you read the patch notes? 50% damage boost to BASE + execute.

Do you think that no one in this game should be able to kill you? Please explain why it is that you pulled up crying for nerfs. All I’m getting from your posts is that this ability can do damage, and the only counter play that you know is crying on the forum...

Yes, I’ve not only read that patch notes, I’ve tested both. As I stated, I think both morphs are really good, and I have yet not decided which I am going to use on live. From what I have read that is exactly the reaction that the devs are going for - I.e. both are good morphs and the player really needs to weight which morph suits them best.

• Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly.

There would also be a difference of 4m range between them, and a small cost difference. I know which one would be better, especially when you consider the one that does more upfront damage would also bring the target to a lower hp faster, and hence put them on the defensive more quickly.

How it is on the PTS there is the choice between a bigger radius that has the potential to hit more targets and is easier to hit with, or one that's more compact with more potential damage (you get to choose one of those). You're also conveniently leaving out other buffed AoEs that have also had a damage increase, such as brawler (great shields tied to an offensive ability that can be spammed) and bombard (immobilizes and snares from 20m cone distance, that can also be spammed) and if you cannot see the great utility of those skills as they are on PTS I don't know what else to say.

If whirling blades is too strong, then the other AoEs are too strong as well, and you should advocate for toning down AoEs across the board instead of tunnel visioning on whirling blades. What I'm seeing from all the whirling blade alarmists is "this AoE has the greatest damage potential compared to other AoEs and therefore, must be the best AoE for all possible scenarios".

It is a huge problem when aoe moves are doing more than single target moves. All of them should be toned down.

I read someone doing statistics and saying that whirling blades at 70% hp and lower was your best spamable option and that is a finisher.....

And just think outside of pve and talk about pvp as now..... Right now spin2win is powerful on live and basically whirling blades will be used with a 50% damage bonus. That is going to make pvp even worse. Yes I know it's a smaller radius but that won't be a huge factor in pvp.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was Lico's rotation on stamDK which self-explains everything. Starting from 85% he starts using whirling blades as a spammable. AOE. Execute. As. Spammable. At 85%. What other arguments are needed?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakXKgngwPo
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

Seriously?

Do you think that no one in this game should be able to kill you? Please explain why it is that you pulled up crying for nerfs. All I’m getting from your posts is that this ability can do damage, and the only counter play that you know is crying on the forum...

Yes, I’ve not only read that patch notes, I’ve tested both. As I stated, I think both morphs are really good, and I have yet not decided which I am going to use on live. From what I have read that is exactly the reaction that the devs are going for - I.e. both are good morphs and the player really needs to weight which morph suits them best.

I never said nobody should be able to kill me, get you facts straight and learn to read. I DID explain, you just ignored it. And I dont think you know why its called spin to win in the first place. These changes do nothing to address that. In fact, they BUFFED it. Steel Tornado will do 50% more damage without its own execution threshold. Whirling Blades is now Steel Tornado with 6m range. Passive execution threshold still applies.

For once, stop assuming and use your brain.
    Edited by techprince on April 24, 2019 9:13AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With balorgh proc :D
    5b8bk9xurzsh.jpg
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

Seriously?

You forget about that you should have choice not only between morphs but also between skills, with those changes if not using one of those morphs you're gimping you're self so it is not balanced.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like it.
    Where were you all these years when DW needed a spammable?
    People dont care to improve features. They just care to nerf things they dont use.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly.

AOEs are strong and thats a whole new topic but none of them have scaling based on health on top of it, hence the thread.
    Edited by techprince on April 24, 2019 9:07AM
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AoEs have been way overtuned. I dont understand why people believe its ok that an AoE hits as hard as your spammable. Then has an execute added to it, honestly question the combat team patch after patch.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it.
    Where were you all these years when DW needed a spammable?
    People dont care to improve features. They just care to nerf things they dont use.

You won't like it when couple of stamDK's will activate corrosive armor while wearing balorghs and will spin into your ball dealing 6k+ per spin each
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was Lico's rotation on stamDK which self-explains everything. Starting from 85% he starts using whirling blades as a spammable. AOE. Execute. As. Spammable. At 85%. What other arguments are needed?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakXKgngwPo

This shows that whirling blades is very strong against high health stationary target dummy's that don't fight back, but there's a lot more to this game than that. Yes I'm sure it will be strong skill for a stam dps for dungeons/trials as the execute mechanic allows you to squeeze in a lot of extra damage from large boss health pools, and it will be a good pvp skill too.

But have you taken a look at the tooltip values for brawler? Ive had it where its tooltip damage was over 9k, plus a 10k shield on top of that, against a single target. AOE. Damage. With. Large Shield. As. Spammable.

In a pvp scenario, I could use this offensive AOE every second, which also would give me a 5k shield every second, after battle spirit. And that's just against one player. Now imagine having your vigor, forward momentum, and other Hots, having high resistances, maybe even troll king on top. And there's also that masters two handed weapon to consider as well.

I'm just seeing more tunnel vision from whirling blades alarmists being irrational wanting to specifically nerf that one ability without seeing the bigger picture. If whirling blades is over performing, so are other AOEs. And to try and get whirling blades nerfed while ignoring the power of other AOEs and not considering ALL SCENARIOS is a very bad idea. That's my argument.
    Edited by Arcanasx on April 24, 2019 9:26AM