The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Revert Faction Locks. We've Been Through This Already

• LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't nationalism. Loyalty is not rewarded with anything other than a pittance of gold in the mail every campaign reset. I am not an "Ebonheart American" or something else utterly ridiculous. I am not yellow or red or blue in real life. You wouldn't demand we always be on the same team in every BG, and it's silly to say the same about the Cyrodiil campaigns.

Limiting the choices other players can make so others can feel good about their own decisions is the same type of utter tripe that's being peddled in modern politics nowadays and I find it revolting.

That's... that actually exactly what it is. It's about faction play. It's ALL ABOUT faction play. That's what it IS. That's it's core design feature. It was from the start, and should've been this ENTIRE TIME, EXACTLY THAT.

The fact that you think it is, or should be, anything BUT that, is as telling as it is hilarious.
    If you don't like it, or think it's some dark mirror of real-world politics (wut? Calm down son) then you're welcome to your opinion, but that's the game. Don't like it, don't play it.

Battlegrounds is supposed to be random, like a gladiatorial arena, where you can play cross-faction with friends, or even against friends in the same alliance.
    Don't like faction play, that's fine. But you sound like a stompy baby whining that just because you don't like the game as it was designed, as a FACTION-BASED EXPERIENCE, it be changed to suit you. That kind of demand is absurd.

You're right about one thing though; open-play Cyrodiil is as asinine as 'locked' BGs.
    They're two different styles of game, that provide two different kinds of experiences.

Removing faction locks was one of the biggest, most catastrophic mistakes this game ever made. "Who's Line is it Anyway" style Cyrodiil where "The teams are made up and the factions don't matter" was the most idiotic mockery of the intention behind the gamemode I've ever seen.
    I'm glad they're fixing it.

-Sidenote, I love how my post mysteriously disappeared.
    Fortunately I keep a copy of my posts for just such an occasion. ;)
    Edited by LinearParadox on May 1, 2019 10:17AM
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but what if it was just a hour-based lock out or some other shorter amount of time than 30 days? In other words, when you leave the campaign on one faction, you have to wait for a certain amount of time in order to re-enter it on a different one?

Would that be enough of a deterrent for people who are swapping around to cheat, without heavily impacting those who play for multiple factions with their friends and don't cheat?

I have friends in multiple factions and play wholeheartedly for whichever I'm on at the time, they're just colours to me. Last time a lock was in place half my alts ended up in dead campaigns (30 day CP is the only active one during my peak hours), and I was prevented from helping my friends out at times because of the locks. I'm really not looking forward to being stuck in that situation again :/.
    Edited by ListerJMC on May 1, 2019 3:57PM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    faction hopping. ded.

awww yisss.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    I continue to oppose faction locks. Give me a good, solid reason they need to be implemented. One that improves the game in a measurable way. That's what I am asking for as your barrier for changing that.
    Asked and answered. You can continue to oppose faction locks as you see fit, but you can stop trying to convince anyone your opposition is rooted in the interest of good gameplay.

The idea that you can intervene on your own behalf by joining the opposing side with an alt is a poor game design decision on its face. Try spending some time justifying THAT, instead of requesting that others defend a change that is smart on its face.

The answer you provided is insufficient

i don't know where it came into view that if someone does not agree with you then they owe you an answer and explanation of what they believe and why.
    the only reason we would give you those answers is if you were the one that has the ability to lock or unlock the campaigns.
    many think it should be locked and many think it should not, but they certainly do not owe each-other valid reasons to those desires.
    the developers are the ones that can ask that, not us.
    if others DO answer you, then thats a debate, and that does not solve anything on the forums.
    we disagree with you
    you disagree with us
    thats where it should end.

That's literally the point of forums. Discuss, converse, debate.

thats not how its being used.
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't allow players to have alts in other alliances that can intervene *against their alliance* to promote your chosen winner.

@bulbousb16_ESO many of us play neither for nor against any faction (a mass of players most of whom do not know each other) but for our guilds / groups (teams of people who know each other and choose to play together). Faction lock, if it goes live, will very negatively impact our PvP experience, while people who prefer to play for a faction (for whatever reason) can do so also without faction lock.

Also, there are other options than the proposed form of faction lock, for example having a choice of non-locked / locked 30 day campaigns, or having a 'soft lock' where we can play any side but be on the leatherboards only on one side.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make the new 7 day campaign your home... I hope this change makes the future Shore clone a stronger server. Shore had execellent game play in 2017 and 2018 due to the fact there were no ball groups.

Most groups were small group speced and zergs were 16-24 strong fighting tended to be much more spread out. Gameplay from 6pm to 11pm was some of the best PVP in the game. Each faction had atleast 2bars across on the weekends it would approach 3 bars and somtimes we would see a lockout...

Everynight there was a EMP push by some faction. Every night there was a relic fight. Faction fighting was all over the map instead of primarly around certian parts of the map like vevic

The bad was PVE door was worst on Shore but most of this occured late at night to around 4pm est.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • LuciusOctavio
    LuciusOctavio
    ✭✭✭
    Lock it down ZOS, great job.

Cannot wait for the Lock down. Just got into ESO in November, started PVP 3 Months ago. And I must agree, lock it down.

Time for change, whether it be moving out of parents home, paying your mothers credit card back for your ESO subscription or Locking down the Campaigns and players picking a side.

Love your work ZOS.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MipMip wrote: »
    @bulbousb16_ESO many of us play neither for nor against any faction (a mass of players most of whom do not know each other) but for our guilds / groups (teams of people who know each other and choose to play together).
    I understand your problem. But the fact that you choose to ignore the lore and the deliberately crafted game mechanics is not our issue, nor should we let your aberrant playstyle to have any impact on the decision whatsoever.
    Lethal zergling
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »
    Make the new 7 day campaign your home... I hope this change makes the future Shore clone a stronger server. Shore had execellent game play in 2017 and 2018 due to the fact there were no ball groups.

Most groups were small group speced and zergs were 16-24 strong fighting tended to be much more spread out. Gameplay from 6pm to 11pm was some of the best PVP in the game. Each faction had atleast 2bars across on the weekends it would approach 3 bars and somtimes we would see a lockout...

Everynight there was a EMP push by some faction. Every night there was a relic fight. Faction fighting was all over the map instead of primarly around certian parts of the map like vevic

The bad was PVE door was worst on Shore but most of this occured late at night to around 4pm est.

Yeah, let us get right into the 7 day with all that OC pop we don't have
    Edited by ellahellabella on May 4, 2019 8:28PM
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @_ESO many of us play neither for nor against any faction (a mass of players most of whom do not know each other) but for our guilds / groups (teams of people who know each other and choose to play together).
    I understand your problem. But the fact that you choose to ignore the lore and the deliberately crafted game mechanics is not our issue, nor should we let your aberrant playstyle to have any impact on the decision whatsoever.

Lol
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »

Lmk how that shor buff campaign will be.
    Edited by Haashhtaag on May 5, 2019 12:37AM
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bulbousb16_ESO many of us play neither for nor against any faction (a mass of players most of whom do not know each other) but for our guilds / groups (teams of people who know each other and choose to play together).

Lore doesn’t matter, the devs out front should have told ya.
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Exactly everything you said @Ixtyr , exactly as you said it. Faction locks are oppressive and incredibly detrimental to so many people.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    TIME TO CHOSE YOUR SIDE CAREFULLY !
    ITS AD OR NEVER !
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »
    Same guys in new Game of Thrones MMO. "Yeah we have white walkers in our guild, and black watch, and we don't take sides, we just roam around fighting whomever".

Idiocy. This is exactly the kind of guys faction lock is supposed to deal with.

Lethal zergling
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Same guys in new Game of Thrones MMO. "Yeah we have white walkers in our guild, and black watch, and we don't take sides, we just roam around fighting whomever".

If you're arguing from a lore perspective, since the launch of the game Cadwell uses the Light of Meridia to send you to help the other factions, no?

Literally showing how factions are irrelevant in the overall fight against the greater evil, and the player protagonist shouldn't be trifled by which alliance they side with in an attempt to defeat Mannimarco.

I highly recommend you watch the cinematic trailers, it shows how rival faction protagonists (who are intended to be stand ins for the player character) are initially fighting each other, then band together and help each other to fight Mannimarco's evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWtdw-7CLE
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not like in Game of Thrones their are characters in houses that were once enemies now fighting together... oh, wait...there are. Hmm maybe they will once again be enemies too.

Edit: Please can we move to a guild based system. Pretty please, zos.
    Edited by TBois on May 5, 2019 8:00PM
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBois wrote: »

^this.

The RvR/AvA contrivance was the original sin in ESO’s early development. Had this game been developed as a guild v guild system, players and guilds would be more invested, the game would still have greater appeal to the original player base, PvP maps would be dynamic—changing and evolving organically, and it would have far better longevity and sustainability.

Edited by Enkil on May 5, 2019 10:28PM
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enkil wrote: »

^this.

The RvR/AvA contrivance was the original sin in ESO’s early development. Had this game been developed as a guild v guild system, players and guilds would be more invested, the game would still have greater appeal to the original player base, PvP maps would be dynamic—changing and evolving organically, and it would have far better longevity and sustainability.

Agree 100%. And this is why faction locks move the game in the wrong direction. A faction is not in any way a team and so it is not something meaningful to fight for.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but what if it was just a hour-based lock out or some other shorter amount of time than 30 days? In other words, when you leave the campaign on one faction, you have to wait for a certain amount of time in order to re-enter it on a different one?

Would that be enough of a deterrent for people who are swapping around to cheat, without heavily impacting those who play for multiple factions with their friends and don't cheat?

I have friends in multiple factions and play wholeheartedly for whichever I'm on at the time, they're just colours to me. Last time a lock was in place half my alts ended up in dead campaigns (30 day CP is the only active one during my peak hours), and I was prevented from helping my friends out at times because of the locks. I'm really not looking forward to being stuck in that situation again :/.

Nope, the campaigns that have locks will be for the entire campaign... dont like it goto campaigns without locks...

PvP have been damaged enough by the faction hoppers, blame them...
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enkil wrote: »

^this.

Agree 100%. And this is why faction locks move the game in the wrong direction. A faction is not in any way a team and so it is not something meaningful to fight for.

Then your free to play on the campaigns that dont have locks...
    Edited by Miriel on May 13, 2019 11:24PM
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Miriel wrote: »

Nope, the campaigns that have locks will be for the entire campaign... dont like it goto campaigns without locks...

Prove it.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    chris211 wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno sorry for the tag what I recommend is a soft lock where you can still play on other faction but only get on the leaderboards on 1 faction, Don"t lock people out from playing with their friends? What about those on oceanic time zones where a faction can own the entire map and you're locked to said faction what are we going to do? play in shor its completely dead at those times same with sotha

Why would leaderboards matter if they are concerned with people joining other factions to undermine those factions? They aren't trying for leaderboards anyway.
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

Prove it.

ZOS is adding faction locks
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Prove it.

Zos created Sloads.
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

Prove it.

Zos created Sloads.

mhmmm and they nerfed it, when it dident work... same zos removed faction locks, seems it took them a few years to figure out that dident work either, so now they are putting it back like it was along time ago...

Dont blame us or Zos, blame faction hoppers
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Prove it.

Zos created Sloads.

mhmmm and they nerfed it, when it dident work... same zos removed faction locks, seems it took them a few years to figure out that dident work either, so now they are putting it back like it was along time ago...

Dont blame us or Zos, blame faction hoppers

I give up before I will say something I will regret.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Say what you will, but this change was done to stop faction hoppers. Yes, it sucks that some honest players can't just switch to play with friends. However, there is the key word, "friends". If you are truly friends, you will roll new characters to play together with. If that is too much work, are your friends really that important to you?

Sure, this whole thing is inconvenient. Again, though, this change is occurring because of faction hoppers. Really, the biggest mistake here is that these changes should have never been needed; factions should have always been locked, that way, people would have less problems. Changing something like this, so far into the game's life is most certainly going to have teething issues.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Say what you will, but this change was done to stop faction hoppers. Yes, it sucks that some honest players can't just switch to play with friends. However, there is the key word, "friends". If you are truly friends, you will roll new characters to play together with. If that is too much work, are your friends really that important to you?

So, if I have friends across different factions, which character should I reroll, and which to which "faction"? Do you truly not understand the actual problem here, because it seems you don't.
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

So, if I have friends across different factions, which character should I reroll, and which to which "faction"? Do you truly not understand the actual problem here, because it seems you don't.

On top of that, My friends have friends to play with too and might not want to come play in my alliance for the entire duration. And those friends have friends too.

Friends have friends have friends have friends have frien- Ok I'll stop.

We can't all be one colour. We'd end the war.

Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)