Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dragon invasion breaks the lore, we should all be dead or dying soon

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So after readying the first few posts and scrolling through the rest it looks like Loee Master OP got slammed and has not responded.

I will check back to see if our new Lore Master has a response beyond a gif.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New crown store item P2W skill line: Dragonborn

Duh!
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RinaldoGandolphi
    I'm sorry, but a lot of what you just said is nothing more but theorizing based, primarily, on gameplay. ESO does not take place in a Dragon Break, and the Dragonfires have absolutely nothing to do with history of this time being lost. Time travel isn't in ESO any more than it is in other games. The few ''future'' books that do appear do so at specific locations.

Even Tiber Septim having anything to do with reforming Cyrodiil's landscape is up to interpetation.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is not taking place during a Dragon Break. I thought in the beginning that The Soulburst might have created one, but now I think differently.

During the time of The Vestige, Tamriel is just a supremely bad place with everyone plotting against one another and all the Daedric Princes trying their hardest to take advantage of all the civil unrest, wars, schemes and the such, and indeed, I think, the princes trying their hardest to lay claim to this new "champion."

The solution to why we have not heard of any of this is a simple one - because hardly any lore around ESO's time had been created. This may seem like the simple solution, however I think it rings true. The reason we have not heard of the Planemeld, Dragons in Elsweyr, Nocturnal's plans to shape Nirn in her own image etc in the main games is because it was not written. They had not touched on this period of history. The devs chose this specific period as there was very little in the way of lore here, and were free to create their own stories around this time.

The real test will be if there are any books in future main series ES games mentioning any of what has occurred in ESO.

Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭
    Truth is, Bethesda would be in a very limited position if they had to follow their previously created lore to the teeth without changing a single thing. They`d have to only make TES games that happen after the one that came before, never being able to go back. If they did try to go back they wouldn`t be able to have any artistic freedom since whatever era they decide to bring onto the game would already have been talked about in the lore.

Let them be free to change whatever they see fit so long as it doesnt go completely bananas. Also, it`s an expansion, not the main plot. Being able to deal with a small dragon related plot before the events that happened in Skyrim is the same as dealing with Vivec`s powers being stolen during the second area. We didn`t have a lore speaking of it before. We never knew that happened until the expansion came out. All we knew was that in TES3 the 3 living gods start losing their powers during the 3rd era.

Stop over reacting peeps.
    Edited by luizhd on April 11, 2019 6:25PM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RinaldoGandolphi

That's not how any of that works at all and sounds like a bit of an insane theory which came out of r/teslore.

No offense.

Also it were the fault of an Ayleid Sorcerer for the books of the future ending up in the past, not the events of the Planemeld. Wayshrines haven't been confirmed to be canon in the way they work in gameplay, they could be like the New-U/Fast Travel Stations in Borderlands which are purely gameplay and are not actually in-lore...And when did wayshrines allow time travel? They aren't mini-towers or something, they're literally just shrines.

There is nothing in ESO's story which hints at it being a paradox or a tangent in time...It's not a Dragon Break either. The White-Gold Tower didn't fall so there isn't any inconsistency with the future games. I mean the heroes of Arena, Daggerfall and Redguard did amazing things and they aren't talked about all the time in the future games (Oblivion and Skyrim). If anything, the only people who get talked about in the future games by NPCs are the Nerevarine, Hero of Kvatch and Dragonborn. It's completely possible that the events of ESO were remembered only by trained scholars since Tiber Septim did kinda take the flame for the end of the era.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    @RinaldoGandolphi

That's not how any of that works at all and sounds like a bit of an insane theory which came out of r/teslore.

No offense.

Also it were the fault of an Ayleid Sorcerer for the books of the future ending up in the past, not the events of the Planemeld. Wayshrines haven't been confirmed to be canon in the way they work in gameplay, they could be like the New-U/Fast Travel Stations in Borderlands which are purely gameplay and are not actually in-lore...And when did wayshrines allow time travel? They aren't mini-towers or something, they're literally just shrines.

There is nothing in ESO's story which hints at it being a paradox or a tangent in time...It's not a Dragon Break either. The White-Gold Tower didn't fall so there isn't any inconsistency with the future games. I mean the heroes of Arena, Daggerfall and Redguard did amazing things and they aren't talked about all the time in the future games (Oblivion and Skyrim). If anything, the only people who get talked about in the future games by NPCs are the Nerevarine, Hero of Kvatch and Dragonborn. It's completely possible that the events of ESO were remembered only by trained scholars since Tiber Septim did kinda take the flame for the end of the era.

Do you have a citation for the bolded claim? I could really use that.
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruccius wrote: »
    Claudman wrote: »
    @RinaldoGandolphi

No offense.

Do you have a citation for the bolded claim? I could really use that.

The one I usually see mentioned is the loading screen text for the Gandranen Ruins.
    Tales say that Gandranen was built by an Ayleid sorcerer, a worshiper of Hermaeus Mora who so loved books that she created a series of magical halls that would attract books from across Tamriel, no matter where—or when—they were published.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bruccius it seems someone already has cited it. I hadn't known myself until I saw the loading screen for Gandranen Ruins ingame.

@Ogou thank you for that.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • dogman
    dogman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes. Another "I've played Skyrim and watched Fudgemuppet" lore expert.
    i'm just tryna have a good time
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What, no pithy "how i met your mother" gif now?
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ogou wrote: »
    Smaxx wrote: »
    In the Third or Fourth Era, have you ever read about the Planemeld? No? Have you ever read about dragons in Elsweyr? No? Have you ever read about the failings of High Chancellor Abnur Tharn of the Empire under the rule of Valen Aquilarios? No? It's as if someone in a high position very adept at screwing things up while trying to do the right thing for the Empire made these recordings getting lost during the Interregnum. It was troubled times, you know?

ESO Exists in a sort of Paradox. The game literally screams this everywhere if you pay attention to the story.

Uh... Where? Examples?

As with any account of what happens in Elder Scrolls, players are free to create their own interpretations, no matter how crazy.

I do want to point out that the OP is basing this thread on an assumption without having experienced the Elsweyr main quest. I have not experienced it, either. It is under embargo, at the monent. Anyone who does know is not to be talking about it.

We do know that ZOS worked all of this out with Bethesda Game Studios, so whatever we find out is already blessed and canon according to both ZOS and BGS.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    In the Third or Fourth Era, have you ever read about the Planemeld? No? Have you ever read about dragons in Elsweyr? No? Have you ever read about the failings of High Chancellor Abnur Tharn of the Empire under the rule of Valen Aquilarios? No? It's as if someone in a high position very adept at screwing things up while trying to do the right thing for the Empire made these recordings getting lost during the Interregnum. It was troubled times, you know?

ESO Exists in a sort of Paradox. The game literally screams this everywhere if you pay attention to the story.

Uh... Where? Examples?

As with any account of what happens in Elder Scrolls, players are free to create their own interpretations, no matter how crazy.

I do want to point out that the OP is basing this thread on an assumption without having experienced the Elsweyr main quest. I have not experienced it, either. It is under embargo, at the monent. Anyone who does know is not to be talking about it.

We do know that ZOS worked all of this out with Bethesda Game Studios, so whatever we find out is already blessed and canon according to both ZOS and BGS.

As far Lore is concerned the only place that had Dragons thus far was Skyrim, doesn't mean the Dragons weren't found in other locations. I am waiting to see how it is done, if it is done Lore friendly they don't just smash prior lore to do there thing and force fir it in but work with that lore that is already there to fit it in.
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

I don't disagree with the idea that players are free to create their own interpretations. Hell, I have my own ludicrous headcanons too.
    But the guy I was replying to said that the game screams that ESO is happening in some type of time paradox. I was wondering if there was maybe something I missed or wasn't aware of since I haven't played through every single quest yet.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

I don't disagree with the idea that players are free to create their own interpretations. Hell, I have my own ludicrous headcanons too.
    But the guy I was replying to said that the game screams that ESO is happening in some type of time paradox. I was wondering if there was maybe something I missed or wasn't aware of since I haven't played through every single quest yet.

Nope, nothing of the sort.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

Yeah nothing it isn't in a paradox the only thing that happened in a way was Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall with the Warp in the west. Which kinda reset the Series itself Lore wise as at that time before the Warp High Rock had many more and I do mean many city states. But that happened well into 3rd Era not even close to the 2nd Era which the game itself is set in. Issue I have I that it starts with something like this and ends up like World of Warcraft where they don't care for the lore just write a book that resets it and call that official.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baltic1284 wrote: »

Uh... Where? Examples?

As far Lore is concerned the only place that had Dragons thus far was Skyrim, doesn't mean the Dragons weren't found in other locations. I am waiting to see how it is done, if it is done Lore friendly they don't just smash prior lore to do there thing and force fir it in but work with that lore that is already there to fit it in.

Did you miss the Dragons of Cyrodiil by any chance? Or those of Akavir? Atmora? Tell me, why on earth would Dragons - which are a dominating species by nature - settle for such exiled locations when they could have gone far beyond?
  • dogman
    dogman
    ✭✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

[removed comment]. Dragons were all across Tamriel, but they had a stronger hold onto Skyrim. Cyrodill had Rust Dragons, for example. Dragons were all over Tamriel. [removed baiting comment]
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on April 15, 2019 12:48PM
    i'm just tryna have a good time
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    [removed quote]

Where they all over yes but I never heard of theme in Elswyr either [removed comment]
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on April 15, 2019 12:48PM
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

Did you miss the Dragons of Cyrodiil by any chance? Or those of Akavir? Atmora? Tell me, why on earth would Dragons - which are a dominating species by nature - settle for such exiled locations when they could have gone far beyond?

No I hadn't forgto but most people don't know of the other dragons closet they have is Skyrim where they see the dragons so most players relate to that itself.
  • mnemoniclights
    mnemoniclights
    ✭✭✭
    Uh, the whole point of the Dragonborn is the Dragonborn absorbs dragon souls into them. When a dragon is killed the soul is absorbed by another dragon or one with a dragon soul, the Dragonborn. This can tie in with the Tsaesci being so obsessed with finding the dragonborn in their invasion, they clearly hated dragons and their culture has ties with eating sentient life to absorb it.

The Dragonborn is the ultimate expression of this culture, they literally eat the soul of the dragon stopping it from being resurrected. A dragon can still die physically but the soul remains, which is common throughout TES. We see it with regular people, we see it with Daedra when their animus is destroyed, the entire point of a Lich is the death of the body but the soul remains to go back into the body.

This is all established lore.
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Uh, the whole point of the Dragonborn is the Dragonborn absorbs dragon souls into them. When a dragon is killed the soul is absorbed by another dragon or one with a dragon soul, the Dragonborn. This can tie in with the Tsaesci being so obsessed with finding the dragonborn in their invasion, they clearly hated dragons and their culture has ties with eating sentient life to absorb it.

The Dragonborn is the ultimate expression of this culture, they literally eat the soul of the dragon stopping it from being resurrected. A dragon can still die physically but the soul remains, which is common throughout TES. We see it with regular people, we see it with Daedra when their animus is destroyed, the entire point of a Lich is the death of the body but the soul remains to go back into the body.

This is all established lore.

Tis it is but tell that too Bruccius and dogman just like the argument that happened about the Septim dynasty and such on wheather he was a Nord or a Breton some sources say Breton others say Nord. Issue is by this time in Elder Scrolls Tiber Septim wasn't born yet I think have to do some checking. So there would be Dragons but the fact the game is after the Tsaesci invasion tends to learn too very few Dragons or none at all. A lot fo the lore on the @nd Era except in game wsnt well wrote out in the main series except for a dew books that talked about certain events in history but no real general book that I know of yet, except in the game.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

No I hadn't forgto but most people don't know of the other dragons closet they have is Skyrim where they see the dragons so most players relate to that itself.

And that is relevant, because? Let me ask you a question, the Redguards are native to Hammerfell. Using your logic, should we be able to see them in other lands? Yes or no?
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

And that is relevant, because? Let me ask you a question, the Redguards are native to Hammerfell. Using your logic, should we be able to see them in other lands? Yes or no?

Technically redgaurds arn't from hammerfell they are actually from Yokuda so no technically. But they have lived for so long that they can be considered from hammerfell, but I know you will come back with some witfully thing screaming this or that instead of just admitting what you did wrong.
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭
    (Didn't read the comment above already explaining that)
    Redguards aren't native of Hammerfell tho. They are from yokuda
    Edited by luizhd on April 17, 2019 4:54PM
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    luizhd wrote: »

talking my comment?
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭

talking my comment?

Yeah I commented before reading your comment.
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭

talking my comment?

Yeah I commented before reading your comment.

It happens man no big deal lol but at least you got the lore right lol jk
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

Technically redgaurds arn't from hammerfell they are actually from Yokuda so no technically. But they have lived for so long that they can be considered from hammerfell, but I know you will come back with some witfully thing screaming this or that instead of just admitting what you did wrong.

Redguards are native to Hammerfell. Yokudans are native to Yokuda. They are not one and the same. It's like saying Atmorans and Nords are one and the same; it's simply false.
    Edited by Bruccius on April 17, 2019 8:21PM
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭

Uh... Where? Examples?

Redguards are native to Hammerfell. Yokudans are native to Yokuda. They are not one and the same. It's like saying Atmorans and Nords are one and the same; it's simply false.

Redguards (formerly "Yokudans") hail from the western continent of Yokuda, which sank into the sea in ancient times.
    the Yokudan fleet set sail to the east, eventually arriving in what would later be called Hammerfell.
    Imperial scholars concluded that the term "Redguard" originated as a phonetic corruption of "Ra Gada"

WOW REDGAURDS ARE NOT FROM HAMMERFELL wow now either admit you are wrong or I report you that simple