The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is the Direct Counter to Reflective Scales? (in PVP)

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
What is the direct counter to Reflective Scales? What I mean by direct counter is a skill that can be used by a player to combat Reflective Scales' ability to completely shut down projectile, ranged game play for 4 attacks/6 seconds. I have noticed that some other skills in the game that are powerful enough to temporarily disable an entire grouping of combat abilities have direct counters that allow players, for a cost, to fight back against the skill and regain the combat abilities that were basically disabled. Examples include:

Cloak --> Piercing Mark and Revealing Flare
Eclipse --> Break free

I also wonder if Crystalized Shield has a direct counter. I haven't seen it used enough to notice it being as strong as Reflective Scales, but it appears as if it is in a similar mold.
Edited by GrumpyDuckling on February 7, 2019 3:19PM
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As ranged magicka sorc, i can advice you only one counter. If you see dk spamming wings, you spam force pulse until he stops, then, for few seconds he spams it again so you spam force pulse too

This is dumb tactic to do and it works only on dumb Dks. Other thing what i do is running away. Same with cloaking Nightblade = you are not person who control fights. They do, in these situations

If you run to skilled pvp dk, second option is mostly only option left for you
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate that shield because it looks just like the Templar Unstable Core. I always hit it thinking it's my UC and I get blasted.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reflect abilities don’t “completely shut down ranged game play”. Only projectiles are reflected.

Ranged skills that aren’t projectiles, such as the aforementioned force pulse, will not be reflected.

Remember that wings are costly for DKs to keep on their bar ... so keeping up pressure is more important than whether your skill actually lands damage.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reflect abilities don’t “completely shut down ranged game play”. Only projectiles are reflected.

Ranged skills that aren’t projectiles, such as the aforementioned force pulse, will not be reflected.

Remember that wings are costly for DKs to keep on their bar ... so keeping up pressure is more important than whether your skill actually lands damage.

You still can damage dk, but its hard when most of your skills are completely negated. It requires proper build and you can't slot all skills.

What is strongest about wings isn't it negates your projectile ranged atacks, but it sends them back to you on top of that with root/snare immunity. That means you can stop dk only with few CCs but as i said, you dont have endless skillbar
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyron wrote: »
    As ranged magicka sorc, i can advice you only one counter. If you see dk spamming wings, you spam force pulse until he stops, then, for few seconds he spams it again so you spam force pulse too
    Do you not use Curse and Fury on your sorc? o.o
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The counter is to run to the forums and cry for nerfs.

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only projectiles? That can't be right because I killed myself when I tried to hit a DK with my Crescent Sweep. I had almost full life and when I hit that shield its like it blew up in my face.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Do you not use Curse and Fury on your sorc? o.o

On my sorc? Yes but how could i know what class he is? I offer advice he can use. Everyone can use force pulse. I am afraid curse can use only sorc, if i remember correctly
    Edited by Anyron on February 7, 2019 2:17AM
  • barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say go melee but he'll just root spam you to death. But mag DKs will tell you they are so nerfed...
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is actually a fairly simply thing to answer - you got basically 4 options from which to choose.

Use "beam" attacks - this means force shock spamming as others noted above, or go with channeled attack from a lightning or a resto staff. Those go straight through wings. As a bonus, those channels also work well against dodge rollers. If you're a Templar, there's Radiant Destruction, and all magicka builds can use Soul Strike. These are the direct counters for wings in the game.

Bow users have to go with a different approach - namely AOE attacks. Your best weapon against wing spammers is Acid Spray. It hits hard enough and the dot is noticeable, plus it slows your foe. So throw some caltrops at the DK's feet and use Endless Hail. When the DK stops wings spamming to deal with all those dots and the slow, land a well timed Poison Injection along with a double dot poison. There are some gear sets that synergize well with this tactic, and can make you a veritable DK killer. Of course doing that will mean that you will not be as effective against some other class or build. Like a magplar that just keeps cleansing everything.

Which brings us to option three: slot some melee abilities - wings don't do jack squat if you go melee.

Even if your build is primarily a ranged build, you can still use your back bar for a melee option. It might not be optimal, and you might lose some of your ranged potency, but that is the whole point here. Wings are a counter to dedicated single target ranged builds. Obviously you will have hard time fighting them if you are relying on the tools wings are meant to counter.

So if you are gonna play single target ranged build using projectile attacks, and do not want to compromise your build with some melee capabilities or channels or AOE attacks, then you always have option four...

Accept that there will always be builds that have an advantage over your chosen build, just as your build performs better against some other builds. Learn to recognize when you are facing a foe, whose build is aimed at nullifying your strengths, and do not engage them. It's a team event. Leave those foes to other players, players whose builds are designed to go against them. You will never be able to have a build that works well agaisnt every other build. The game is designed to not work that way. If you do come up with a build that has no weaknesses, expect it to be nerfed to the ground in a future update.
  • Steelshiv
    Steelshiv
    ✭✭✭✭

As a magsorc i love fighting a DKs who think that I'll be out of the fight with one use of flappy wings. I just switch to my lightning staff heavy attack/force pulse/etc and continue hitting like a truck.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »
    This is actually a fairly simply thing to answer - you got basically 4 options from which to choose.

Which brings us to option three: slot some melee abilities - wings don't do jack squat if you go melee.

Even if your build is primarily a ranged build, you can still use your back bar for a melee option. It might not be optimal, and you might lose some of your ranged potency, but that is the whole point here. Wings are a counter to dedicated single target ranged builds. Obviously you will have hard time fighting them if you are relying on the tools wings are meant to counter.

So if you are gonna play single target ranged build using projectile attacks, and do not want to compromise your build with some melee capabilities or channels or AOE attacks, then you always have option four...

Accept that there will always be builds that have an advantage over your chosen build, just as your build performs better against some other builds. Learn to recognize when you are facing a foe, whose build is aimed at nullifying your strengths, and do not engage them. It's a team event. Leave those foes to other players, players whose builds are designed to go against them. You will never be able to have a build that works well agaisnt every other build.

I agree with most of your points except for this one. Using a melee ability is a REALLY bad idea. You have to realize a stam or magdk will do double your damage in melee range, with a way better cc toolkit. I don’t know about sorcs, but as a magblade you will get pulverized really quickly.

The only way to fight them is crushing shock or spam 3x light attacks and power through. 3x LA works best with an ice staff if you back bar ome.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 7, 2019 3:34AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Use "beam" attacks - this means force shock spamming as others noted above, or go with channeled attack from a lightning or a resto staff. Those go straight through wings. As a bonus, those channels also work well against dodge rollers. If you're a Templar, there's Radiant Destruction, and all magicka builds can use Soul Strike. These are the direct counters for wings in the game.

Bow users have to go with a different approach - namely AOE attacks. Your best weapon against wing spammers is Acid Spray. It hits hard enough and the dot is noticeable, plus it slows your foe. So throw some caltrops at the DK's feet and use Endless Hail. When the DK stops wings spamming to deal with all those dots and the slow, land a well timed Poison Injection along with a double dot poison. There are some gear sets that synergize well with this tactic, and can make you a veritable DK killer. Of course doing that will mean that you will not be as effective against some other class or build. Like a magplar that just keeps cleansing everything.

Accept that there will always be builds that have an advantage over your chosen build, just as your build performs better against some other builds. Learn to recognize when you are facing a foe, whose build is aimed at nullifying your strengths, and do not engage them. It's a team event. Leave those foes to other players, players whose builds are designed to go against them. You will never be able to have a build that works well agaisnt every other build. The game is designed to not work that way. If you do come up with a build that has no weaknesses, expect it to be nerfed to the ground in a future update.

Teoreticaly, you have many options, but tell me, how many aoes you have slotted as ranged build with your pvp build? One, maybe?

Melee isnt good idea too because you have many skills ranged. And they can root you to death

Spamming light attacks (4 in row) mean you giving him chance to move to you while you are getting damage from your light attacks (+weapon enchants) and he can use several wings in row.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steelshiv wrote: »

As a magsorc i love fighting a DKs who think that I'll be out of the fight with one use of flappy wings. I just switch to my lightning staff heavy attack/force pulse/etc and continue hitting like a truck.

I think hitting like a truck with Lightning Staff LA/HA or Force Pulse is a bit of an exaggeration, but it's something that works against Wings at least.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Accept that there will always be builds that have an advantage over your chosen build, just as your build performs better against some other builds. Learn to recognize when you are facing a foe, whose build is aimed at nullifying your strengths, and do not engage them. It's a team event. Leave those foes to other players, players whose builds are designed to go against them. You will never be able to have a build that works well agaisnt every other build.

I agree with most of your points except for this one. Using a melee ability is a REALLY bad idea. You have to realize a stam or magdk will do double your damage in melee range, with a way better cc toolkit. I don’t know about sorcs, but as a magblade you will get pulverized really quickly.

The only way to fight them is crushing shock or spam 3x light attacks and power through. 3x LA works best with an ice staff if you back bar ome.

Melee might not work as a magblade - even though you do get a fairly potent melee magic ability as one. I slot it on my magblade, though I almost never use it, and it's there mostly for the sneak speed buff. Though it does come in handy on rare occasions. But as a magblade, you also get a cloak, which lets you quite safely to completely ignore the flappy DK. You might not win the encounter, but neither will you lose it.

As a magblade, my primary weapon against DKs is the lightning staff I backbar, and the ability to reposition and reset the fight via cloak. But trying to kill one 1v1 is not easy and not really worth my time, since they tend to have solid counters for my primary attacks. 2v2 fights or larger engagement, however, open plenty of windows of opportunity where you can use cloak, fear and a focused burst to bring one down.

However, the question posed in the OP, was not limited to how magblades should deal with flapping DKs. And while melee might not be the best choice for them, it does not mean that it is not an option. And that is what the question was about - how to deal with flapping DKs.

The thing to keep in mind about the melee/ranged split, is that you are going for versatility over specialization. I run one such stamina build, and it works well enough, but I obviously am a believer in option 4, and will not waste my time by engaging a super tanky melee DK 1v1 on that build.

As I noted in my previous post, you can't build for every situation - every build will have weaknesses and strengths. 1v1, the split build is at a disadvantage, but in 2v2 or 3v3, it works just fine and opens a lot more opportunities to swing the fight for your side. The key is to use your mobility and your team mates strengths to leverage the optimal moment to strike. Keep in mind, that a lot of this game revolves around timed burst. And you can lay out a lot of hurt with a timely burst. Critical Rush + Dawbreaker followed by Executioner is more than enough to bring down all but the most tanky of targets when timed correctly. Alternatively I can use my ranged attacks and AOEs to keep pressure on the target, while my team mates maneuver for the kill. A split build is primarily a team build, and it's strength is the ability to capitalize on the opportunities of the moment. Ranged or melee.

Now obviously some classes will have easier time to do this, and stamina builds have better options for having a melee backbar, and it is not as easy as going with a focused build. You will be weaker in both fields than a dedicated build, but neither will you ever find yourself in a situation, where the opponents build completely shuts you down. But, and this is the key point here, if you switch from ranged projectile attacks to melee strikes, then wings do nothing but drain the DKs resources. So yeah, it is an option. It might not be the best option, and it might not be the option that suits the way you play. It really isn't an option for most of my character either. But it is still an option you can incorporate to your build.

Teoreticaly, you have many options, but tell me, how many aoes you have slotted as ranged build with your pvp build? One, maybe?

Melee isnt good idea too because you have many skills ranged. And they can root you to death

Spamming light attacks (4 in row) mean you giving him chance to move to you while you are getting damage from your light attacks (+weapon enchants) and he can use several wings in row.

Again - melee is an option, just not the go to choice for every build. As I noted, I have one character that is mainly ranged, but can melee when needed. Obviously that build is not as good in melee as a dedicated melee DK. But if my ranged attacks wont work at all, then bad melee is better than ranged attacks that kill myself. Personally, on that build, I tend to choose option 4, if I have to face a flapping DK solo. I.e. I wont - wings counters my builds core strengths, and I see no point to engage such a target if I can avoid it. I leave those foes for players with builds better suited for dealing with them.

Which brings me back to the point, that this is a team sport - you can't expect to be able to do everything by yourself, and for every build there is a counter. If you specialize too much, focus on one aspect too much, then there will be some player out there, that you simply can't take on 1v1.

As for AOEs, since you asked... I tend to use them more than single target abilities on my ranged builds in PVP, but not really due to DKs, though they do help me deal with wings. I sport AOEs mainly due to the prevalency of zergballs. Besides, am more interested in large scale pitched battles than 1v1 encounters, and thus AOEs serve my needs lot better, and they also aid taking down those pesky zergballs. On a dedicated ranged build, I tend to have 3 AOEs slotted, and pretty much all of my ranged magicka characters have a lightning staff equipped, at least in PVP.

So yeah, I do tend to go for more AOEs than single target skills. They serve me well in the types of battles I prefer, and I am well aware of the weaknesses that my builds have, and do my best to avoid situations where my opponent has the upper hand. But wings... Wings don't really bother me that much.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this some poorly disguised attempt to have idiots hammer themselves in the face?

Even when only reflecting lightattacks DK wings is one of the higher tooltip dmg abilities in the game. If we´re talking skills there is no contest.
    Attacking into reflect to break it is suicide on the long run - if the dk is remotely competent and doesn´t run with base regen.
    Edited by Derra on February 7, 2019 7:25AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I see a lot of hate lately about DK wings. Adapt and overcome. Change your attack strategy and accept their a build that is hard for each class to deal with.

Wings is annoying just like cloak is on a night blade, healing a Templar, snares on a warden and mages wrath on a sorc.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Accept that there will always be builds that have an advantage over your chosen build, just as your build performs better against some other builds. Learn to recognize when you are facing a foe, whose build is aimed at nullifying your strengths, and do not engage them. It's a team event. Leave those foes to other players, players whose builds are designed to go against them. You will never be able to have a build that works well against every other build. The game is designed to not work that way. If you do come up with a build that has no weaknesses, expect it to be nerfed to the ground in a future update.

I would just add DoTs and delayed detonations like Inevitable Detonation from AvA skill Line/Assault Tree or Dædric Curse and morphs and also AoEs combined with roots/Hard CC, like Rune Prison, Time Freeze, Talons and Destruction Staff skills like Ultimate and Wall of Elements and morphs.

As stated above, Infused Lightning Staff/Restoration Staff Heavy attack channels with an Oblivion damage glyph (Glyph of Decrease Health) i.e. combined with 5 pieces of Torug's Pact makes excellent pressure on reflecting DKs.

Also you could Inferno Staff LA 4 times and then go burst, unless you're speced for high LA/HA damage and use Overload Ultimate, that can hurt. (this really is Sorcerer centered, I apologize).

Lol, maybe the best summary is; any damage that isn't a projectile.
    Edited by Idinuse on February 7, 2019 8:30AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Write another essay about how DKs counter you too hard on your nightblade and you would like some more buffs to your class, particularly cloak buffs, since its such an underperforming skill y'know.
  • twofaced
    twofaced
    ✭✭✭
    5k lightning staff ticks, LL, blockade. They can only ran away and pm you babyraging. Toothless, useless tank DK bulds :D So many arrogant morons killed last month. I wonder they still exist.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    I see a lot of hate lately about DK wings. Adapt and overcome. Change your attack strategy and accept their a build that is hard for each class to deal with.

Wings is annoying just like cloak is on a night blade, healing a Templar, snares on a warden and mages wrath on a sorc.

You can’t really adapt on a ranged magblade. Sorcs can manage somewhat but it’s gonna be tough. Wings are banned in some duels v magblades and sorcs.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    twofaced wrote: »
    5k lightning staff ticks, LL, blockade. They can only ran away and pm you babyraging. Toothless, useless tank DK bulds :D So many arrogant morons killed last month. I wonder they still exist.

I saw one right here
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is dumb tactic to do and it works only on dumb Dks. Other thing what i do is running away. Same with cloaking Nightblade = you are not person who control fights. They do, in these situations

Force shock spam, curse, Daedric tomb, matriarch, fury, rune cage every 6 seconds and heavy overload attack is all you need to kill 99 percent of dks as a mag sorc.

• GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Write another essay about how DKs counter you too hard on your nightblade and you would like some more buffs to your class, particularly cloak buffs, since its such an underperforming skill y'know.

@TheMythicDawn

Please don't try to create an inaccurate narrative that suggests that Nightblade is "[my] class." I have 15 characters that include all 5 current classes. If you actually took the time to read my forum feedback instead of spewing snide inaccurate assumptions, then you'd see that for years I have been advocating for each class in areas that I think need improvement or would increase fun. Just a few examples (that most certainly do not encompass all of them):

Templar
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4589033

Dragonknight
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/455276/fiery-breath-10-meter-range-v-scorch-arrow-spray-blessing-of-protection-encase-wall-of-elements-etc

Nightblade
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/457071/essay-remove-sneak-speed-penalty-from-nightblade

Warden
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/399223/dire-wolf-summon-for-warden-major-brutality-option

Sorcerer
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294862/hear-me-out-invincible-sorcerer-pets

Next time, please don't try to create a false narrative that contributes nothing to discussion. Thank you.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah if you go melee on lets say a magicka NB you are playing right into their hands. I like option D just go find someone else to fight.

Unless they corner you as a NB or a Sorc they can't really keep you from leaving. Now if they got close enough to you to apply all of their dots and they keep wings up/your not doing enough damage to them to encourage wings well...that's a different story. Kind of your fault. Also if they manage to dot you to death plus wing all your attacks I would say they have some fast hands and switching skills.

Just bounce.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You're right, not all ranged game play is shut down. Thanks for catching that. I'll update the original post.
  • TrinityBreaker
    TrinityBreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only projectiles? That can't be right because I killed myself when I tried to hit a DK with my Crescent Sweep. I had almost full life and when I hit that shield its like it blew up in my face.

Crescent Sweep is not a projectile nor reflectible.
    Ebonheart for life.
    Xbox NA
    I am Dog Star.

Khajiit Stam Sorc - Ji'saad Ranajiradh AR 30
    Khajiit Mag DK - Kesjhad
    Khajiit Magblade - Ji'sava Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamplar - Dro'haniAk'nir - AR 36
    Khajiit Stam Dk - Diego Ri'jhad - AR 49
    Khajiit Magplar - Dro'nara Ak'nir
    Khajiit StamBlade - Ri'artharr Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamden - Dro'hani Warbreaker
    Argonian Stam DK - Tiberius Demetros
    Khajiit Stamplar - Diëgo Ri'jhad
    Fat Khajiit Stam DK - Drö'hani Ak'nir/Dances-With-Alkosh
    Khajiit Magden - Arctic Mayhem

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crushing shock+mag cost/ultimate increase poison, sneak in destro reach letting the dots tick, using an AOE applied attack.

wear+tear at range. When the wings drop, go full ham.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You missed something else hitting you. Your Croissant wasn't reflected.

The only templar-specific skills Wings reflects are javelin and Reflective Light.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    The only templar-specific skills Wings reflects are javelin and Reflective Light.

Wings still reflect Flare, don't they?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -