The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What is the Direct Counter to Reflective Scales? (in PVP)

• ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    crushing shock+mag cost/ultimate increase poison, sneak in destro reach letting the dots tick, using an AOE applied attack.

wear+tear at range. When the wings drop, go full ham.

That and most of other suggestions will only work against bad DKs. If you run upon equally skilled player you might as well just lay down and die, because your suggestions and most others will get you nowhere.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    crushing shock+mag cost/ultimate increase poison, sneak in destro reach letting the dots tick, using an AOE applied attack.

wear+tear at range. When the wings drop, go full ham.

That and most of other suggestions will only work against bad DKs. If you run upon equally skilled player you might as well just lay down and die, because your suggestions and most others will get you nowhere.

yea IDK what else to say, roll stam because you can't reflect melee applied bleeds lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • KurtAngle2
    KurtAngle2
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »
    This is actually a fairly simply thing to answer - you got basically 4 options from which to choose.

Use "beam" attacks - this means force shock spamming as others noted above, or go with channeled attack from a lightning or a resto staff. Those go straight through wings. As a bonus, those channels also work well against dodge rollers. If you're a Templar, there's Radiant Destruction, and all magicka builds can use Soul Strike. These are the direct counters for wings in the game.

Bow users have to go with a different approach - namely AOE attacks. Your best weapon against wing spammers is Acid Spray. It hits hard enough and the dot is noticeable, plus it slows your foe. So throw some caltrops at the DK's feet and use Endless Hail. When the DK stops wings spamming to deal with all those dots and the slow, land a well timed Poison Injection along with a double dot poison. There are some gear sets that synergize well with this tactic, and can make you a veritable DK killer. Of course doing that will mean that you will not be as effective against some other class or build. Like a magplar that just keeps cleansing everything.

Which brings us to option three: slot some melee abilities - wings don't do jack squat if you go melee.

Even if your build is primarily a ranged build, you can still use your back bar for a melee option. It might not be optimal, and you might lose some of your ranged potency, but that is the whole point here. Wings are a counter to dedicated single target ranged builds. Obviously you will have hard time fighting them if you are relying on the tools wings are meant to counter.

So if you are gonna play single target ranged build using projectile attacks, and do not want to compromise your build with some melee capabilities or channels or AOE attacks, then you always have option four...

Accept that there will always be builds that have an advantage over your chosen build, just as your build performs better against some other builds. Learn to recognize when you are facing a foe, whose build is aimed at nullifying your strengths, and do not engage them. It's a team event. Leave those foes to other players, players whose builds are designed to go against them. You will never be able to have a build that works well agaisnt every other build. The game is designed to not work that way. If you do come up with a build that has no weaknesses, expect it to be nerfed to the ground in a future update.

Except that reflective scales is not a build, it's a single ability that SHUTS DOWN entire playstyle for FREE
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DKs are always going to be the nemesis class for NBs, it must be by design. Even as a NB healer they’re the class that kills me the most.

Best mNB counter to DKs? Stay cloaked, don’t fight them, and kill steal from them with impale. That’s what I’ve found to be the most effective when I used to mNB dps. Shield charge has a 20m range, stay 20-28m and don’t get caught. With their crazy burst on knocked down targets if they catch you you’re a goner.

If crippling grasp wasn’t reflectable it would help a lot with kiting, as is I rarely have that speed buff up in pvp.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 7, 2019 7:31PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Gilvoth on February 7, 2019 7:35PM
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the direct counter to Reflective Scales? What I mean by direct counter is a skill that can be used by a player to combat Reflective Scales' ability to completely shut down projectile, ranged game play for 4 attacks/6 seconds. I have noticed that some other skills in the game that are powerful enough to temporarily disable an entire grouping of combat abilities have direct counters that allow players, for a cost, to fight back against the skill and regain the combat abilities that were basically disabled. Examples include:

Cloak --> Piercing Mark and Revealing Flare
    Eclipse --> Break free

I also wonder if Crystalized Shield has a direct counter. I haven't seen it used enough to notice it being as strong as Reflective Scales, but it appears as if it is in a similar mold.
    Lightning heavy attack to the face. That’s my fave. Just keep going toward him, wear Zaan, and then just burst him down when he’s burnt all his resources. If I know he’s a vamp, Daedric enchant lightning staff (I keep dardric ones of all my staves in case)
    Edited by IzzyStardust on February 7, 2019 7:53PM
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    The counter is to run to the forums and cry for nerfs.

Right?! Lol Hard counter for anything that kills anyone in PvP!

Recently, Ive been running on my warden so I just laugh, and spam the birds. :D
  • Steelshiv
    Steelshiv
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Steelshiv wrote: »
    Reflect abilities don’t “completely shut down ranged game play”. Only projectiles are reflected.

Ranged skills that aren’t projectiles, such as the aforementioned force pulse, will not be reflected.

Remember that wings are costly for DKs to keep on their bar ... so keeping up pressure is more important than whether your skill actually lands damage.

As a magsorc i love fighting a DKs who think that I'll be out of the fight with one use of flappy wings. I just switch to my lightning staff heavy attack/force pulse/etc and continue hitting like a truck.

I think hitting like a truck with Lightning Staff LA/HA or Force Pulse is a bit of an exaggeration, but it's something that works against Wings at least.

Maybe a small truck. I've fought some dk's who don't focus much on spell resistance due to flappy wings carrying them so I can do a decent amount of damage with heavies/curse/debuffs

anyways, If it's not just me fighting I'll intentionally hit the dk 4 times after buffing so the dk has to waste resources flapping the wings again OR be open to my attacks.