The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

30 Master Anglers & proof that the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl works!

• Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KMarble wrote: »
    Are the furnishings back in the loots table yet?

To the OP: Wow GZ!

No. Gina said it was fixed and would be released with the next DLC, but when I tested it on PTS I got the same problem. I haven't had a chance to try it again on the new PTS patch.

ETA:
    I got a giant coral furnishing a few days ago, so maybe it's fixed?

Were you in Murkmire by any chance? As far as I know it is the only place where furnishings are still dropping.

I got 2 pieces of coral furnishings, one green and one blue from fishing in summerset.
    Can't recall their exact names as I traded them in our guild bank for other furnishings.
    I spent all of last Sunday (after reading this post) fishing using the food and looking for giant clams.
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the furnishings back in the loots table yet?

To the OP: Wow GZ!

Not yet no. And from what i've been told, it is still unresolved on the public test server. Let's hope zos listens to us and fixes it :smile:

I got a giant coral furnishing a few days ago, so maybe it's fixed?

Which zone was it from? I've heard reports from people that Furnishings drop from fishing in Murkmire

Summerset

PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think I fished on the starter island for five minutes once...

Kudos to you on being able to accomplish this on so many characters. I would have eaten a bullet long ago.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MyNameIsElias : You're the craziest person ever. This is probably the most awesome useless thing ever done :D
  • Asha_11_ESO
    Asha_11_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Holy mackerels! What a crazy effort, good on you. A very entertaining post to read.

I almost feel motivated to go get master angler. Almost. >_<
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy mackerels! What a crazy effort, good on you. A very entertaining post to read.

I almost feel motivated to go get master angler. Almost. >_<

Glad you enjoyed the read :) There is no rush to get the title, i would save it for when you feel like like actually doing it.

Bring along a friend when you do it, makes it a much less painful experience :wink:
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to comment that I've seen a few things that I've actually considered impressive when playing this game, but having 30 master anglers has to be at the top.

I finally got one guy done and it made me appreciate the accomplishment that much more.

Weird though, I never got a single furnishing the entire time I fished for the achievement.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    I just want to comment that I've seen a few things that I've actually considered impressive when playing this game, but having 30 master anglers has to be at the top.

I finally got one guy done and it made me appreciate the accomplishment that much more.

Weird though, I never got a single furnishing the entire time I fished for the achievement.

Thank you for the praise! Means a lot to me :).

Furnishings are currently bugged, they do not drop at all right now from fishing. This was fixed on the PTS, but players tested it and is still unresolved.
  • FinneganFroth
    FinneganFroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got my first Master Angler tonight! I can't imagine getting 30.

First achievement for this title: 3/6/2016

Last achievement for this title: 2/9/2019

Lol...
  • Jamdarius
    Jamdarius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warning, long post!

I started fishing back in the Summer of 2015 when Zenimax added Perfect Roe into ESO. Ever since then i have been fishing on my alts whenever i ran out of content to do in the game. You might have seen my previous posts on here, the latest one being posted in early 2018 where i talked about my journey to 15 Master Anglers. One year has passed and i have now reached a total of 30 Master Anglers!

The reason for me making another thread is because the Summerset patch introduced a new type of fishing buff food that supposedly increases your chances of catching rare fish. As soon as it came out is when i picked up my rod once more.

If you are interested in seeing proof of my 30 Master Anglers, you can check out this Youtube Playlist where i recorded every single moment where i caught the last fish needed for the achievement on all 30 alts!

At the end of this post you can find a Master Angler fishing map guide! This guide of all 20 zones required for the achievement will include fishing hole locations, the rare fish in each zone, and the average amount of time you will spend fishing in each water type!

Now, let's start by talking about the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl food!

This section is going to explain how the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl affects your fishing, and how it compares to fishing without it being active.

The first 15 Master Anglers i got were all done before the new food was introduced to ESO, and the remaining 15 were all done with the new food active 100% of the time.

Down below there's two images that show how much fish was needed to complete the achievement on all 30 characters, without versus with the food active.

Total amount of fish caught per character WITHOUT new food active:
    D09xajD.png

Total amount of fish caught per character WITH new food active:
    xIHwRjk.png

Without the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl food active, the average amount of white fish you catch in one Master Angler "run" is ~ 8,048 fish

And with the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl food active, the average amount of white fish you catch in one Master Angler "run" is ~ 5,438 fish

This means that while using the new food, your time spent fishing for the Master Angler achievement is cut by ~ 32,4% !

One of the things i did for fun during this very long testing session was that i cooked up 500 Fish Bowls before i started fishing on my last 15 alts. And this is how many i had left after i acquired the title on my last character! :)
    GXzNDwe.png

That's all i have on the new food. If you are going for the Master Angler title, use it! It makes a significant difference :wink:

Now we move on to the combined statistics of all my 30 characters! Spoiler alert, the numbers get a bit crazy here :smile:

First off, Furnishings.

I really wanted to go in depht about the Furnishings that you can loot from fishing, but i unfortunately don't have as much information on them as i would have liked to. They were introduced to ESO when i already had 12 Master Anglers, and then they completely dissapeared from the fishing loot table due to a bug that came with the Murkmire patch. Therefore you will have to settle for a picture of some of the Furnishings i caught during the times i spent in DLC areas on some of my alts!
    Rflx3nh.png

The total market value of these Furnishings is ~ 327,608 Gold on the PC EU Megaserver.

Alternatively, they would fetch 60,199 Gold if sold to an NPC vendor.

And just for fun, here is a Pie Chart that shows the rarity of each type of furnishing, based on the information from the prior image :)
    eieWQUu.png

Moving on from Furnishings, let's get to some more crazy numbers

Between all 30 characters, i've caught a grand total of 202,207 Fish! Keep in mind that this is only the total from the Master Angler zones, the personal total for me is even bigger!

If we were to assume that the average time it takes to catch fish is 15 seconds, then this would add up to roughly 842,9 hours, or 35,1 days! That's a lot of time spent on just Fishing! :dizzy:

In the following image, you will see how many days passed on each character from the day i got the first zone fishing achievement, until i unlocked the Master Angler title:
    rQCrdUX.png

The reason for character #2 taking 302 days to complete was simply because i wasn't sure it was something i felt like doing at the time. I caught the single rare fish in Bleakrock Isle, and decided that i'll do it again at some point in the future. Nearly a year later, i got my second Master Angler title :)

Continuing with the theme of large numbers, here's a graph showcasing the total amount of Fish that was caught from each type of water! (River, Ocean, Foul & Lake)
    ynUvgPx.png

Perfect Roe is most likely the main reason that people fish, so let's get to it!

Here you can see how much Perfect Roe was looted per character, from 1-30 :star:
    bMBr5ne.png

All combined, i've looted 1975 Perfect Roe between all 30 alts. At the current market value this is worth ~ 22,5 Million Gold on PC EU.

Throughout my long journey i have usually sold all the Perfect Roe i've looted. But i decided to save all the Roe i got from my last 15 alts. I thought it could make for a cool screenshot :)
    RGWwdvy.png

(Total market value of ~10 Million gold)

Now onwards to bait!

I never once farmed for fishing bait, i always bought it from other players (Leaves more time for fishing!). While the price of bait has varied for the past few years, this image shows the rough total of how much gold was spent buying each type of bait:
    8OL30Oe.png

Grand total cost of all bait i bought: ~ 1,6 Million Gold.

Yet another thing i did for fun was that i collected all of the extra fishing bait i caught from my last 15 characters, just to see how many i would end up with in the end. Interesting stuff!
    V67XfTE.png

Now to the final topic, the Wet Gunny Sacks!

I never wrote down the data on the Wet Gunny Sacks when i got my first 15 Master Anglers, so i made sure to do it this time. I mentioned it briefly in my previous post, but this time i've got plenty more information on them.

I looted 4161 Sacks from 15 characters, and here you will see everything i looted from them:
    F60dxO3.png

That's everything! I hope you enjoyed the post :smiley:

I have next to no experience in graphic design, and i apologize for the quality of some of the images. I did the best i could with the tools i have at my disposal, and hope it was enough to provide you with an enjoyable read! Please feel free to ask any questions if you have any, i'll be happy to answer.

As i promised earlier, here's the Imgur Album link to my fishing maps:
    https://imgur.com/a/nMvgKN1

But before you go, here's a final look at the fish count in my crafting bag. Thanks again for reading!
    eAGUuwH.png

TL:DR: I spent over a month of my life fishing in a video game

What can I say? Sanity is for the weak :wink:
    I have done master angler myself once and I think that was enough.

Really big respect for you for doing it so many times.

• ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvE this, PvP that, DPS numbers, parses, skins and whatever else...

Been in this game for god only know how many thousands of hours (4 or 5, maybe) and this is the single most impressive deed so far. Not hard at all, if you got the dedication. That's what's impressive.

How many people have that? I bet not many, if not just you.

*Stands and slow claps*
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now if I could only get the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl recipe to drop... The usual crap RNG luck for me!

Fantastic achievement! I enjoy just randomly fishing and haven't really been trying for the achievement. But it would be cool to have. Well done!
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hats off to you! Thank you for posting this it may just be the kick in the tail needed to get me back at it xD
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very cool; thank you for sharing!
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm reporting back after using some of the fish bowl food. Cleared Hews Bane, Gold Coast, the last of Clockwork city, and caught Orsiniums rare purple fish all in say 10ish hours total game time spanning a couple days. Have noticed im catching a lot more blue and green fish, but rng for the one i need is still mean. I end up catching two or three of the same one from a single hole.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, very impressive dedication to the fishing of the fishes. Would be cool if ZOS named one of the fishing NPCs in the next chapter Elias to mark the achievement.
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I'm reporting back after using some of the fish bowl food. Cleared Hews Bane, Gold Coast, the last of Clockwork city, and caught Orsiniums rare purple fish all in say 10ish hours total game time spanning a couple days. Have noticed im catching a lot more blue and green fish, but rng for the one i need is still mean. I end up catching two or three of the same one from a single hole.

Indeed, even with the food active RNG will haunt you. It will drop eventually, just keep at it :)
  • blacksghost
    blacksghost
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive. I’m on my first fishing slog and the thought of fishing in cyrodil is giving me the heebeegeebees (not a pvp player at all) so I probably will never get that boat. 😢
    Everything will be alright in the end, if its not alright its not the end.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update on furnishings drops. I finally managed to log into PTS, created a new char and went fishing. The bug/glitch happened on the very first hole, on the 3rd cast.

As a side note, the fish that I did catch were more random - I didn't notice the very boring pattern that is happening on the live server where I get 3 or 4 of the same fish before catching something else - so I guess there was some progress?

As a side note, on PTS I can acquire all the furnishing plans for the base game, at least. I "learnt" them all because...reasons. I noticed that there is a furnishing plan for 2 of the furnishing fish we get when fishing. Was this already a thing in game or is it new?

• Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive. I’m on my first fishing slog and the thought of fishing in cyrodil is giving me the heebeegeebees (not a pvp player at all) so I probably will never get that boat. 😢

I just did Cyrodiil and it wasn't bad. Pick a low pop campaign and go in at off hours instead of peak play time. I did not get attacked once, but I did sneak around the action some.

A trick I was told that helped my peace of mind a lot was you can be stealthed while fishing. Hit stealth and just before it goes all the way hit to fish. Most times you stay stealthed even when standing up, but, bear in mind your POLE is still quite visible at all times and of course if someone is close and you are in line of sight they will likely see you. But otherwise, unless they're paying attention and spot your pole, they won't see you. If you stay visible when you do this and you feel uncomfortable then sacrifice your bait and re-do.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update on furnishings drops. I finally managed to log into PTS, created a new char and went fishing. The bug/glitch happened on the very first hole, on the 3rd cast.

As a side note, the fish that I did catch were more random - I didn't notice the very boring pattern that is happening on the live server where I get 3 or 4 of the same fish before catching something else - so I guess there was some progress?

As a side note, on PTS I can acquire all the furnishing plans for the base game, at least. I "learnt" them all because...reasons. I noticed that there is a furnishing plan for 2 of the furnishing fish we get when fishing. Was this already a thing in game or is it new?

I believe that was already a thing. I think you can craft a fish furnishing from the provisioning station.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Streega wrote: »
    As a fellow Master Angler: that's insanely awesome! With emphasis on "insanely" ;) You deserve your own NPC, indeed - @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, can you arrange that? :blush: Or at least a letter or maybe a diary left at one of the fishing spots?

Perhaps a Fishing Assistant named after the OP, and who stands by while you fish, handing you bait and enhancing your success rate.

An awesome achievement!

/bow
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Streega wrote: »
    As a fellow Master Angler: that's insanely awesome! With emphasis on "insanely" ;) You deserve your own NPC, indeed - @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, can you arrange that? :blush: Or at least a letter or maybe a diary left at one of the fishing spots?

Perhaps a Fishing Assistant named after the OP, and who stands by while you fish, handing you bait and enhancing your success rate.

An awesome achievement!

/bow

Thank you both, most kind of you <3
  • protofeckless
    protofeckless
    ✭✭✭
    OP,

Do you have data (or a feeling) as to how the food buff dropping more rare fish affects the drops for other things (furniture, sacks, recipes...)?

Been assuming since it came out that the food buff gives more rare fish in exchange for "other" but maybe it adds to the drop table instead of rebalancing it.

Finally congrats & thanks for the data. Awesome. [Edit: Per the post above, I would buy Elias the Fishing Assistant in a minute. Great idea.]
    Edited by protofeckless on February 11, 2019 3:43PM
  • IAmBones
    IAmBones
    ✭✭✭
    I fish A LOT. I started this game in June, I played through the story and loved it. Then I needed gold, I heard about this Perfect Roe which you could get my fishing, so I bought some of the Vendor Bait and started fishing. It's usually how I make my gold, I find it very ZEN. (pun intended)

I speak from experience, OCD can be a wonderful thing!!!

This is a great story, I loved it.
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP,

Do you have data (or a feeling) as to how the food buff dropping more rare fish affects the drops for other things (furniture, sacks, recipes...)?

Been assuming since it came out that the food buff gives more rare fish in exchange for "other" but maybe it adds to the drop table instead of rebalancing it.

Finally congrats & thanks for the data. Awesome. [Edit: Per the post above, I would buy Elias the Fishing Assistant in a minute. Great idea.]

I don't have any data on that, so i'll go with my feeling on it. As far as i know, it doesn't affect anything other than rare fish.

I think the only thing you "trade" in exchange for rare fish is the standard white fish.

And yes, i would love a fishing assistant too :joy:
  • CMz
    CMz
    ✭✭✭
    Truly impressive effort and dedication to achieve this; raising a toast bro!
  • Astarana
    Astarana
    ✭✭✭
    I was fishing recently and got furnishings while fishing in Summerset and Murkmire. I also got a new type of fish (furnishing) that is I think available only in Murkmire: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/fish-black-marsh/
    I was using the buff food while fishing. Cleared whole Murkmire achievement in around 3 hours. However, the buff food does not help me at Gold Coast. I fished for a bit more than an hour and did not get a single blue. I been trying to clear Gold Coast for a while now and no blue fish from either of the waters for me. Oh well, will keep trying.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that was already a thing. I think you can craft a fish furnishing from the provisioning station.

Thank you. I'm somewhat new to the game, so I wasn't sure.

After I posted here I logged onto PTS and went fishing some more. I caught a furnishing at the lake in front of Elden Root, at the hole near the vendor.

I'll keep on fishing there at different places and types of water, and will keep you guys updated.

Edit:

Astarana wrote: »
    I was fishing recently and got furnishings while fishing in Summerset and Murkmire. I also got a new type of fish (furnishing) that is I think available only in Murkmire: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/fish-black-marsh/

At first I thought the glitch/bug was being caused by some alteration being introduced into the code for Murkmire (something along the lines of "if =/=Murkmire, then"), but with report of furnishing being caught in SS, I'm not so sure anymore.

Sorry to hear about your hard time on the Gold Coast.
    Edited by KMarble on February 11, 2019 8:34PM
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. I'm somewhat new to the game, so I wasn't sure.

After I posted here I logged onto PTS and went fishing some more. I caught a furnishing at the lake in front of Elden Root, at the hole near the vendor.

I'll keep on fishing there at different places and types of water, and will keep you guys updated.

Thank you, i am hoping for the best :smiley: