The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Cyrodiil's End: You win Zos

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    valeriiya wrote: »
    *EDIT: I wanted everyone to note his sarcastic comment and eye roll, this isn't the first time he's done this and everyone got worked up over Gina's joke so why not him?*
    Here's how much they really care when they're done writing newsletters:

The game might be a "top seller" in 2018. It's only 10 dollars man. Yes people will easily spend 10 dollars to try a game.

But how many of them are still playing? Nothing we hear about that.

Being a top seller game in 2018 doesn't mean the game is healthy Mr Lambert.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On the topic of the Z icon, @ZOS_GinaBruno would it be possible to have a different icon for Zenimax staff, versus forum staff? Or maybe have a different icon for when you guys post to mediate the thread?
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    The only logical explanation for the declining performance is that the actual product performance isn't well understood at Zenimax Media. I would bet a pretty penny that their entire operations section is under the impression that ESO is a phenomenal game because of what is reported as active clientele and revenue.

I'mma go ahead and send them a letter and a video so they can see the dumpster fire of product performance they have.
    It's more likely Zenimax Media is the root of the problem. They have a reputation for both buggy games and allowing major issues to go unresolved going back to the 90s when they were just Bethesda.

IMO they are happy for ESO to be a TES dress up/housing game and casual episodic single player online RPG with basic 12 player raids and PVP. Cyrodiil does not fit in with the rest of those pieces.

I think that internally, the decision was made to put Cyrodiil on life support years ago and Zenimax Media either made that decision or agreed to the plan that included it.

Thats for sure.. Imo, not only did they put cyrodil on life support but i think they are working on another project and dont have their main focus on this game.

Zos has no communication skills and that might just be the issue. But to me it just feels like they are out of touch with their game, player base, and that this game does not have their full attention. Or at least the amount of attention it needs.

Maybe they have enough to get their quarterly updates done, but when it comes to real persisting issues, new innovative things, and so many qol changes that should have been done years ago, it feels like they dont have enough people to handle it. But as usual i would love for them to prove me wrong and start addressing certain things and fixing certain things.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jakx wrote: »
    Ill add this video by JackDaniells (Kristofer ESO youtube channel). All credit to him. He makes great content for ESO and answers everybody's questions in Twitch but his most recent video that I JUST stumbled across after I made this post highlights exactly what Im talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgbaotKCFmQ

What he sais there at 4:38 is the essence of the reason why I decided to quit this game in november of 2018. Sad, but true.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trowlk wrote: »
    This month will be crucial for Elder Scrolls Online Future. (Or at least for me)
    Additionally, we will not hold another in-game event that requires the Activity Finder until we are 100% confident that the tool can support it. Stay tuned for details on that.
    In recent months, however, we’ve recognized that we’ve been so focused on “the next update” that we haven’t had much time to consider and flesh out what the next year+ of combat updates should look like. We often see posts on the forums requesting further context on balance changes, and asking how they fit into a larger plan and vision for combat. While we do have a backlog of improvements identified for the game, it’s clear we could do a better job of answering those kinds of inquiries, both for the player community and ourselves.

Either they bring us an amazing game update along with a smooth Midyear Mayhem performance, or we get disappointed and annoyed for the issues that had been stacking since the game release.

Big gaming companies such as Blizzard and Bethesda had a rough end of the year with their games (WoW and Fallout76). I really hope this New Life festival gives them the chance to start anew, specially ZOS's ESO.

Yea I'm also still waiting on that better communication we heard about two months ago. Unfortunately the only way to create visibility and get any sort of message to the devs is to make a forum thread that goes ignored but have to try.

It might not matter even if they do read this feedback after reading the class representative meeting notes and how out of touch with the game they were.... I half expect a post concerning cyrodiil performance to say its completely fine and most players really approve of the performance.

Fingers crossed that they are prepared to make some sort of statement before Mid-year mayhem.
    Joined September 2013
  • Paganini
    Paganini
    ✭✭✭
    Better communication? HA! This will never happen.
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we are weeks if not months away from even hearing about a coherent vision for combat (how did a game thats 4+ years old not have one?) and critical bug fixes seem to get wrapped into the 3 month major updates so I dont suspect we will see improvements remotely soon, if ever. I guess its been over a year since they said Cyro performance was a priority and now radio silence.

I am curious why the game cant have incremental updates more often to fix critical things such as scatter knock back and things of that ilk but alas cant get off topic.
    Joined September 2013
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Okay one, no one is "winning" in this situation. Don't make it sound like ZOS is intentionally trying to make you quit playing by making the game unplayable.

And also I've seen the early videos of PvP years ago, and that great performance you speak of? Yeah, that's because there were barely any set procs going off, the amount of ground effects we have now, and literally EVERYONE did nothing but light attack each other. With the gross amount of calculations and rendering the game has to do now no crap the performance gets bad.

Still population caps were like 5 times hugher then currently.
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    *EDIT: I wanted everyone to note his sarcastic comment and eye roll, this isn't the first time he's done this and everyone got worked up over Gina's joke so why not him?*

The game might be a "top seller" in 2018. It's only 10 dollars man. Yes people will easily spend 10 dollars to try a game.

But how many of them are still playing? Nothing we hear about that.

Being a top seller game in 2018 doesn't mean the game is healthy Mr Lambert.

Worth to add it's only one of the top selling games on steam which doesnt represent whole market.
    Edited by Juhasow on January 5, 2019 11:37AM
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_RogerJ wrote: »
    Just a friendly reminder to keep the thread on-topic, civil, and constructive. While we completely understand everyone has their own opinions, thoughts, feelings and even frustrations, we want the forums to be a civil and constructive platform for the game and it's community as a whole.

I find it quite amusing that ZOS can find the time to read a thread, remove negative comments AND post about removing negative comments but neglects adding a response to the topic in which clearly defines a legitimate concern to the consumers of their product...

@ZOS_RogerJ Cyrodiil performance has become so unbearably broken and unplayable over the past few weeks (more so than we, as consumers, have unfortunately become accustom to) to a point that even Streamers on Twitch and YouTube are posting solely on the atrocity of Cyrodiil performance. The issue has been questioned since One Tamriel and we have only seen subtle remarks such as "We are aware of the issue and are working on a solution" or "We are working on new enhancements to improve Cyrodiil performance". With all that being said, why can't the Devs release some concrete statement to reassure its consumers that they are, in fact, aware of the massive performance degradation that began a week prior to the new year across all platforms AND issue a statement that OUTLINES specific points of improvement.

Did part of the server get shut down that is causing Cyrodiil performance to crash near lower capacities?
    Is the server being re-coded live?

I completely agree but I didn't want to address an employee without knowing the whole list of forum rules. Hoping not to get infracted and lose this thread from some technicality. It is hugely disheartening to see a ZOS post in here about civility when it has actually been VERY civil and constructive with addressing player concerns. Unfortunately we arent all server engineers or developers so providing solutions isn't exactly in the cards but voicing our displeasure and requesting a ZOS response I believe is very much appropriate.
    Joined September 2013
  • Kesef
    Kesef
    trowlk wrote: »
    This month will be crucial for Elder Scrolls Online Future. (Or at least for me)
    Additionally, we will not hold another in-game event that requires the Activity Finder until we are 100% confident that the tool can support it. Stay tuned for details on that.
    In recent months, however, we’ve recognized that we’ve been so focused on “the next update” that we haven’t had much time to consider and flesh out what the next year+ of combat updates should look like. We often see posts on the forums requesting further context on balance changes, and asking how they fit into a larger plan and vision for combat. While we do have a backlog of improvements identified for the game, it’s clear we could do a better job of answering those kinds of inquiries, both for the player community and ourselves.

Either they bring us an amazing game update along with a smooth Midyear Mayhem performance, or we get disappointed and annoyed for the issues that had been stacking since the game release.

Big gaming companies such as Blizzard and Bethesda had a rough end of the year with their games (WoW and Fallout76). I really hope this New Life festival gives them the chance to start anew, specially ZOS's ESO.

Only it wasn't an issue in WoW. While it might not be brimming with positive feedback, it was Diablo Immortal that broke the camels back.
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they bought the game for the AvA with no issues.... boy.... are they in for an ugly reality.... But hey, it's $10! Not a big lost after all! ;D
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is the complete opposite of quitting. Its about passionate players who want to see this game succeed and want to support ESO but a huge aspect of the game is broken. We would like some developer support as we are also players who want to invest in ESO but we dont get as much support as the players who are completely invested in housing. I personally do a bit of everything but am very passionate about Cyrodiil. Back in beta it was my hook to play this game over WoW combined with the much deeper action combat. Now that action combat barely works in Cyro and the place runs terribly with few updates since launch. Lets see some action here.
    Joined September 2013
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they limited the spells procs effects, if it would help, maybe have a more limited graphics load. I really want to get into PvP this year, I had a lot of fun in Cyro's Midyear mayhem with a group of about ten of our PvE guildies. We had to pick our fights carefully and learn to pull bosses into less exposed areas in IC, learned a lot about taking resources etc. But... It's unplayable in peak times. If I had to be limited to a witcher style skill set, 5 spells 3 weapons and 3 poisions, and less sets to improve the performance, I'd go for it because PvP is new every day. Humans are more unpredictable and challenging and if that would improve lag I'd go for it. The big zergs are no fun at all and boring to boot but it looks like a lot of people would rather latch on there than deal with dying due to skills not firing. I've started to try figure out essential skills for 1 bar play because when it gets busy, that's all I have.
    Edited by Ryath_Waylander on January 5, 2019 4:37PM
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd include this clip for ZOS if they dont believe peasants such as myself. Alcast's opinion.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlazingAbstruseFlamingoFloof
    Edited by Jakx on January 5, 2019 4:49PM
    Joined September 2013
  • Oxalias
    Oxalias
    ✭✭✭
    Cyrodiils best performance was around release, it never recovered - it never will
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant even imagine consoles. If I were console I'd have quit long ago. This game isn't made for console, thats a straight cash grab. I wonder how much console development held/holds this game back. I get it though, it got them lots of money.

Don't tell me my shoes are tight before you haven't worn them @Jakx it's not that bad and with a few tricks you can get a very smooth connection I rarely crash more then 1ce a day and only in pvp.
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant even imagine consoles. If I were console I'd have quit long ago. This game isn't made for console, thats a straight cash grab. I wonder how much console development held/holds this game back. I get it though, it got them lots of money.

Don't tell me my shoes are tight before you haven't worn them @Jakx it's not that bad and with a few tricks you can get a very smooth connection I rarely crash more then 1ce a day and only in pvp.

Cool, Ive never crashed
    Oxalias wrote: »
    Cyrodiils best performance was around release, it never recovered - it never will

Why not have hope they can fix it? Doesnt matter much now that this thread is getting lost in "dont add necromancer's threads" which are absurd. Lets focus on controllable things.
    Joined September 2013
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, Ive never crashed
    Oxalias wrote: »

Why not have hope they can fix it? Doesnt matter much now that this thread is getting lost in "dont add necromancer's threads" which are absurd. Lets focus on controllable things.

Never crashed? You must not be running Windows! lol
    Don't alienate console who make up 2/3 of the PvP player base if not more.
    Without them PvP would be dead.
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never crashed? You must not be running Windows! lol
    Don't alienate console who make up 2/3 of the PvP player base if not more.
    Without them PvP would be dead.

I dunno what I missed or took too "literally." You said 2/3 of the player-base lol.

Either way I think we're arguing for the same thing here. Performance is awful.
    Joined September 2013
  • tamrielwinner
    tamrielwinner
    ✭✭✭
    hoping for some serious announcements on plans to fix this problem soon.
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm flummoxed.

We're having a pvp event that ZOS has already admitted is bugged and cant fix it before it goes live(huh?). Then add in what we already know is going to be game-breaking lag and a mix of something unknown that always goes wrong and we have a disaster.

How can the developers just continually be this out-of-touch with what's going on in their game? I am all for events, give me more of them but I don't think its productive for the playerbase or the company if having that event means negative PR for the game and a thoroughly unenjoyable experience for all involved.

I just won't ever understand. You have notable big time community people that ZOS even outsources to for their knowledge who talk about PvP's awful performance and the solution is to throw an event on top of it with no fixes? An event thats already bugged!

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlazingAbstruseFlamingoFloof

Seriously, if ZOS is looking for someone in PR I can be of service. I don't have a degree in it but I have common sense and I think it could come in handy since it doesn't exist currently with the team. DM me on the forums and I'll get back to you. I live close by and could start working next Monday. Thank you.
    Joined September 2013
  • Tlania
    Tlania
    ✭✭✭
    They have a twitch stream coming up, maybe all high jack it and bombard them with the lag issues. see if we can force a reply if the whole audience is asking the same question.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish they would do something with the PvP in this game. Imo it needs a complete redesign. I would like to try it out, but the way it stands right now, i would not touch it.
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJBoomer wrote: »
    i wish they would do something with the PvP in this game. Imo it needs a complete redesign. I would like to try it out, but the way it stands right now, i would not touch it.

Wanting to redesign what PvP in this game is completely different than wanting it to just work properly performance wise. The game is what it is at this point almost 5 years in but considering performance is continually getting worse thats something that can be addressed.
    Joined September 2013
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm just talking ignorant BS, but we don't know how many servers power ESO. For the sake of easy explanations, lets say they use 10 servers. Maybe they used to allocate 6 of 10 servers for PVP before, now it's 1/10 or 2/10.

Cyrodiil used to be ~18h/day battle. Now it's locked mostly in the prime time. If I'm correct, they lowered the number for "locked" status, compared to 3-4 years ago. Sure, there are BGs that are popular and took many Cyrodiil PVPers. But the amount of players per instance is much lower so it's easier the manage.

Statistically, overland and PVE content need MUCH more server power as there are so many people there. You can go in any delve at 4am and still find at least one person there. Compared to Cyrodiil that is mostly empty in that time with occasional dueling in Vivec and some small fights in Sotha Sil. So unless more ESO players start PVPing, I cannot see them "fixing" the performance. Maybe they will optimize the code here and there, but if we lack server power there's none we/they can do except investing into more hardware. Highly unlikely under the current circumstances.
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maboleth wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just talking ignorant BS, but we don't know how many servers power ESO. For the sake of easy explanations, lets say they use 10 servers. Maybe they used to allocate 6 of 10 servers for PVP before, now it's 1/10 or 2/10.

Cyrodiil used to be ~18h/day battle. Now it's locked mostly in the prime time. If I'm correct, they lowered the number for "locked" status, compared to 3-4 years ago. Sure, there are BGs that are popular and took many Cyrodiil PVPers. But the amount of players per instance is much lower so it's easier the manage.

Statistically, overland and PVE content need MUCH more server power as there are so many people there. You can go in any delve at 4am and still find at least one person there. Compared to Cyrodiil that is mostly empty in that time with occasional dueling in Vivec and some small fights in Sotha Sil. So unless more ESO players start PVPing, I cannot see them "fixing" the performance. Maybe they will optimize the code here and there, but if we lack server power there's none we/they can do except investing into more hardware. Highly unlikely under the current circumstances.

The irony is that its this way likely because they've neglected the hardware issues lol.
    Joined September 2013
  • Ufretin
    Ufretin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Would I buy a game for the price of a meal at McDo? Probably.

Would I actually try it out? Maybe.

Would I become a dedicated, long-time player with the game in its current state? Certainly not.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    On the topic of the Z icon, @ZOS_GinaBruno would it be possible to have a different icon for Zenimax staff, versus forum staff? Or maybe have a different icon for when you guys post to mediate the thread?

That’s a great idea! Maybe reserve the “Z” for when they actually address issues, and maybe just a waggy finger icon when all they have to contribute is scolding posters for being uncivil, so we don’t waste time clicking on those threads.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    maboleth wrote: »

The irony is that its this way likely because they've neglected the hardware issues lol.

It's not so much as neglecting hardware issues, and refusing to pay the high cost for something that is only going to provide maybe a small amount of improvement when everyone would still not like pvp because of the balance issues of the game. Face it, they never intended to run this game on the best server system money could buy and they never will.. And there isn't one online game I can think of with this much rendering that you can put 50 people in one small area and not have incredible lag happen.
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    jcm2606 wrote: »

That’s a great idea! Maybe reserve the “Z” for when they actually address issues, and maybe just a waggy finger icon when all they have to contribute is scolding posters for being uncivil, so we don’t waste time clicking on those threads.

Actually the Z symbol only helped this thread along. Gets it more visibility. Thank you random forum moderator for giving my thread the Z. I can be sure they wont respond with meaningful developer communication but I know they'll see it :)
    Joined September 2013