Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best Class for a healer?

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nermy wrote: »
    We have been experimenting with a NB healer in our PvP raids and in a few fights he out healed the Templar healers...

Just saying. ;)

Yes, NB healers can "outheal" the other classes. They also provide absolutely ZERO class based buffs to the group. No synergies from shards, no synergies from the field that wardens give (the name eludes me right now), no minor sorcery from Templars, no minor toughness from Wardens. This is why they are not used in end-game pve groups.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    63,365 achievement points
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    I recommend Warden or Nightblade over Templar. Regardless of the claims here, Templar is actually the weakest healer in the entire game when compared to the other classes which have far better kits.

I've played all five classes as healer and it goes as follows...

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

And why is this the case?
    Because Templar healers literally provide nothing major to the group besides healing.

Templar may be useful for getting into healing in this game, but is it really that good for endgame? No. Warden is better.

Unlike before where Templars had Major Mending which gave them a credible "OOMPH" or their shards which were locked to just them (which can now be easily replaced with Necrotic Orb which is entirely more useful on the healing variant), they pretty much offer nothing to the group besides healing and generally as any support in ESO your only job isn't to just heal/tank. You need to buff and support. Templars offer nothing from their base kit to the group besides just Minor Magicksteal or Minor Sorcery now (that purge synergy is useless and Effecient Purge is a better alternative to it). Warden is the current chief of buffing and healing at the same time instead of just being a mindless Templar who sits in the corner that spams Healing Springs (that's not the only thing you're supposed to do as a healer).

What do Dragonknights or Nightblades offer which are more superior to that of Templar? Well, not only do Nightblades heal better than Templars, they can also grant Major Expedition (which is useful for Veteran Scalecaller or Fang Lair), they also have better resource management, ult gen (for barrier or warhorn) and have more useful passives for healing or self-survivability (which is also important when you're healing). Dragonknight Healers also have better ult generation, self-survivability and can grant both Major/Minor Brutality/Sorcery to the group unlike Templar which only grants Minor Sorcery.

Essentially, Templars not only have the worse base class heals (and pretty much rely entirely on the Restoration staff), but they lack a lot of the fancy support stuff which the other classes above have, they lack the ult generation, they lack the resources/sustain and have a HIGH COST OHSH*** BURSTHEAL SKILL (Breath of Life is very expensive now compared to the other classes above). I highly recommend Warden since it grants a lot of useful buffs to the group or Nightblade since Nightblade is relatively easier than people think it is.

Unlike Dragonknights who will always be the best tank, Templars have fell from grace after their many nerfs to their healing capabilities.

Most people who claim Templar healer is the best healer don't even play the role and are just DPS who desperately beg for shards every minute.

The templar shards return BOTH magicka and stamina to the person using them (unlike orbs which give only 1, or the DPS morph of shards, again 1)

I will agree that templar healers have been reduced in their dominance of the role, but they are far from the weakest.

The argument of group utility and including NB healers as your #2 completely and totally undermines your argument, as nightblades provide no group utility and buffs whatsoever in their base skills (even if they did, every group has NB dps that could provide the same buffs)

The buffs from DK's are provided by the tank, so the healer doesn't have to do those either. Unless your entire raid is "off-class", then your group is filled with redundancies, and the effectiveness of the healer (as a NB or DK) is reduced to the point they are significantly worse than Wardens and Templars. (Sorc healers have come in vogue, as sorc DPS is pretty poor right now, and magplar DPS is good again, so you can get the buffs with a Warden and Sorc healer, and have the magplar provide the templar buffs)

As far as your comment about how most people who claim Templar healer is the best don't actually play it... I'd say I play templar healer quite a bit, judging by signature :smile: (Warden and Templar are neck and neck for me of the best healer, when everything is considered, before the nerf to warhorn, 2 templars was the go-to, with the changes to minor toughness, it's 1 warden, 1 templar, unless you have a warden tank, then potentially 1 templar, 1 sorc, or if you have a magplar dps, you could do 1 warden, 1 sorc)
    Edited by tmbrinks on December 21, 2018 4:31PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    Options
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still getting into the game. I'm starting to have more time to play, and i was wondering which Class/Race would be best to make a healer.

T E M P L A R R R ! Oh wait, someone mentioned that already...
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not overly fond of warden healers. The whole tool kit seems gimicky. I say this because the class revolves around maturation and increasing max health. However, the mushrooms are very position oriented so if your team is all over the map or the healer cannot accurately turn and target them they won't be as effective. Breath of life and hasty prayer for example have no such restrictions. You just press the button and everyone is healed within the radius. Budding seeds also requires more thoughtful use. You either have to wait six seconds (an eternity in a trial) or double cast it (lol) and again if your teammates' positioning is off its useless.Lotus is a damned good skill. I'll say that. Of course you can use weapon or guild abilities like springs and orbs and just point and spam. But so what? Any class can do that. Wardens only look good because they took toughness off Warhorn.

The budding seeds is used more as an additional synergy for Alkosh uptimes (in a raid), rather than a "base heal", much in the same way templars use shards.
    Options
  • mxxo
    mxxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still getting into the game. I'm starting to have more time to play, and i was wondering which Class/Race would be best to make a healer.

It all depends on which kind of player (rather progress, fun or a mix) you are and what you plan to do with the healer: PVE (rather lots of dungeons first or rather trials) or PVP.

But to keep things simple i start assuming:

Since you didnt mention PVP or trials specifically I assume you want to start off with a PVE Healer who does lots of dungeons but is still usable later on when you want to do trials. Since i assume further you start with a basic healer build like from Alcast i will give you 2 options:

1. If you want the most easy to play Healer which is also the prefered trial class and you want to a bit of extra damage then go Highelf Templar.

2. If you want it a bit more interesting and more fun but still usable for trials then go Breton Warden. You will do less damage with the basic Warden build so no need for Highelf on this one. Breton gives you more spell resistance.
    Edited by mxxo on December 21, 2018 5:08PM
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just so I answer the OP's original question

Either Templar or Warden for class (will be best for heals and overall group composition in the future)

Either Argonian, Breton, or High Elf for race (I prefer Argonian, but the others are just as effective with the right gear/play style)

Options
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I recommend Warden or Nightblade over Templar. Regardless of the claims here, Templar is actually the weakest healer in the entire game when compared to the other classes which have far better kits.

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Because Templar healers literally provide nothing major to the group besides healing.

Templar may be useful for getting into healing in this game, but is it really that good for endgame? No. Warden is better.

Unlike before where Templars had Major Mending which gave them a credible "OOMPH" or their shards which were locked to just them (which can now be easily replaced with Necrotic Orb which is entirely more useful on the healing variant), they pretty much offer nothing to the group besides healing and generally as any support in ESO your only job isn't to just heal/tank. You need to buff and support. Templars offer nothing from their base kit to the group besides just Minor Magicksteal or Minor Sorcery now (that purge synergy is useless and Effecient Purge is a better alternative to it). Warden is the current chief of buffing and healing at the same time instead of just being a mindless Templar who sits in the corner that spams Healing Springs (that's not the only thing you're supposed to do as a healer).

What do Dragonknights or Nightblades offer which are more superior to that of Templar? Well, not only do Nightblades heal better than Templars, they can also grant Major Expedition (which is useful for Veteran Scalecaller or Fang Lair), they also have better resource management, ult gen (for barrier or warhorn) and have more useful passives for healing or self-survivability (which is also important when you're healing). Dragonknight Healers also have better ult generation, self-survivability and can grant both Major/Minor Brutality/Sorcery to the group unlike Templar which only grants Minor Sorcery.

Essentially, Templars not only have the worse base class heals (and pretty much rely entirely on the Restoration staff), but they lack a lot of the fancy support stuff which the other classes above have, they lack the ult generation, they lack the resources/sustain and have a HIGH COST OHSH*** BURSTHEAL SKILL (Breath of Life is very expensive now compared to the other classes above). I highly recommend Warden since it grants a lot of useful buffs to the group or Nightblade since Nightblade is relatively easier than people think it is.

Unlike Dragonknights who will always be the best tank, Templars have fell from grace after their many nerfs to their healing capabilities.

Most people who claim Templar healer is the best healer don't even play the role and are just DPS who desperately beg for shards every minute.

The templar shards return BOTH magicka and stamina to the person using them (unlike orbs which give only 1, or the DPS morph of shards, again 1)

I will agree that templar healers have been reduced in their dominance of the role, but they are far from the weakest.

The argument of group utility and including NB healers as your #2 completely and totally undermines your argument, as nightblades provide no group utility and buffs whatsoever in their base skills (even if they did, every group has NB dps that could provide the same buffs)

The buffs from DK's are provided by the tank, so the healer doesn't have to do those either. Unless your entire raid is "off-class", then your group is filled with redundancies, and the effectiveness of the healer (as a NB or DK) is reduced to the point they are significantly worse than Wardens and Templars. (Sorc healers have come in vogue, as sorc DPS is pretty poor right now, and magplar DPS is good again, so you can get the buffs with a Warden and Sorc healer, and have the magplar provide the templar buffs)

As far as your comment about how most people who claim Templar healer is the best don't actually play it... I'd say I play templar healer quite a bit, judging by signature :smile:

Orbs give both Magicka and Stamina...
    Have you not been looking at the patch notes? What patch are you still stuck on?

Energy Orb IV

An ally near the globe can activate the Healing Combustion
    synergy, causing the orb to explode and heal for 1884
    Health to all friendly targets and restore 3960
    Magicka or Stamina to the ally, whichever maximum is higher.

Luminous Shards IV

An ally near the spear can activate the Holy Shards
    synergy, restoring 3960
    Magicka or Stamina, whichever maximum is higher. They also restore an additional 1980
    Magicka or Stamina, whichever maximum is lower.

Both Luminous Shards and Energy Orb also share the same Synergy cooldown, so running them both conflicts with each other.

Nightblades can do the same job as Templars, but far better. So can literally any other class upon that list.There is a reason everyone that I usually run with never ask for my Templar healer anymore and now only ask for non-Templar healers. Maybe your group/guild is different, sure, but Templars are relatively terrible healers since they still have the worst kit in the game. Also it humors me that you state that NBs and DKs have the worse "healing effectiveness" when I've been healing with them fine in Veteran dungeons. Your statement on sorc DPS being pretty poor right now is something I also disagree with.

Until Templar is buffed back to greatness (i.e. getting better buffs, ult generation, resource management and such), I and my party shall stand with this sentiment.

Edited by Claudman on December 21, 2018 4:39PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

As far as your comment about how most people who claim Templar healer is the best don't actually play it... I'd say I play templar healer quite a bit, judging by signature :smile:

Have you not been looking at the patch notes? What patch are you still stuck on?

Energy Orb IV

Nightblades can do the same job as Templars, but far better. So can literally any other class upon that list.There is a reason everyone that I usually run with never ask for my Templar healer anymore and now only ask for non-Templar healers. Maybe your group/guild is different, sure, but Templars are relatively terrible healers since they still have the worst kit in the game. Also it humors me that you state that NBs and DKs have the worse "healing effectiveness" when I've been healing with them fine in Veteran dungeons. Your statement on sorc DPS being pretty poor right now is something I also disagree with.

Until Templar is buffed back to greatness (i.e. getting better buffs, ult generation, resource management and such), I and my party shall stand with this sentiment.

Magicka OR Stamina... you only get one or the other!!

Let's look at Shards

Send your spear into the heavens to bring down a shower of divine wrath, dealing 455 Magic Damage to enemies in the area and an additional 79 Magic Damage every 1 second for 8 seconds.
    An ally near can activate the Holy Shards synergy, restoring 3960 Magicka or Stamina, whichever maximum is higher. They also restore an additional 1980 Magicka or Stamina, whichever maximum is lower.
    The synergy grants additional resources.

you get both resources back

At the risk of sounding pedantic... veteran dungeons are all easy, and can be healed effectively on any class in virtually any type of gear.
    Options
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Energy Orb IV

Let's look at Shards

Send your spear into the heavens to bring down a shower of divine wrath, dealing 455 Magic Damage to enemies in the area and an additional 79 Magic Damage every 1 second for 8 seconds.
    An ally near can activate the Holy Shards synergy, restoring 3960 Magicka or Stamina, whichever maximum is higher. They also restore an additional 1980 Magicka or Stamina, whichever maximum is lower.

At the risk of sounding pedantic... veteran dungeons are all easy, and can be healed effectively on any class in virtually any type of gear.

Same with shards.
    You don't get both resources back.
    It literally states "Magicka or Stamina whichever is highest".
    Unless you think that small 2k is actually something to clap about which is barely the cost of a force pulse.
    Edited by Claudman on December 21, 2018 4:43PM

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Energy Orb IV

Let's look at Shards

Same with shards.

Reading comprehension is low. YOU ALSO RESTORE AN ADDITIONAL 1980 MAGICKA OR STAMINA, WHICHEVER MAXIMUM IS LOWER.
    Options
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Energy Orb IV

Let's look at Shards

Same with shards.

Reading comprehension is low. YOU ALSO RESTORE AN ADDITIONAL 1980 MAGICKA OR STAMINA, WHICHEVER MAXIMUM IS LOWER.

Unless you think that small 2k is actually something to clap about which is barely the cost of a force pulse.

Can it heal though? Do something besides just sitting there?
    Wardens are better healers than Templars, dude. Sorry, but the only unique thing about Templars is literally their fancy glowsticks. lol
    Edited by Claudman on December 21, 2018 4:51PM

Options
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chibs wrote: »
    Breton/High Elf/Argonian are the best races for a healer. Templar is the easiest healer to get into and considered by many to be the best.

Quoted for truth

PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
    Options
  • Snipress
    Snipress
    ✭✭✭
    I have a High Elf Templar and a Dark Elf Warden as my healers. I'm still ranking up my Templar healer, so my Warden is my main healer right now.
    Finding beauty in negative spaces.

Officer & recruiter for Lunacy on the Xbox - NA server.
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Energy Orb IV

Let's look at Shards

Same with shards.

But the 4k from the "big" on is overwhelming more... it's a factor of 2?

It provides a static synergy (rather than orbs, which are moving) for the tank to hit when they need it to proc Alkosh. Providing the group with more dps, killing things faster, meaning you need to actually do less healing, and providing more buffs to the group.

There's a reason that healers are wearing IA/Jorvulds in trials (neither of which buff "healing" specifically, other than the 2% in Jorvulds), it's because we're there to provide buffs for the group, and some healing when they need it. End-game healing is like 60% buffs and 40% heals

Nightblade and Dragonknights, are already in their roles as a DPS and as a Tank, thus the class unique buffs they provide are already in the group. Thus, NB's and DK's as healers, are redundant.
    Options
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar worst class heals. I can't tell if you're dead serious or you're being hyperbolic. Remember how Nightblade's refreshing path was deemed too good they took away the damage from it? Templar has that in ritual of retribution, which also has a synergy. In the six seconds it takes for the warden field to bloom a Templar healer can cast Purifying Light copy 20% of the damage dealt to the boss and still provide a HoT after. Templar healers get minor mending just by standing in class abilities. Shards restore both pools at once and can be flung anywhere instantly. I could go on and on but I've stroked the class off long enough. Minor toughness is nice, I'm not saying no but at any given time someone has a shield up in a raid. If they're in a position where they're taking damage large enough to go through the shield and their entire health bar minor toughness isn't going to save them.
    Options
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Energy Orb IV

Let's look at Shards

Same with shards.

But the 4k from the "big" on is overwhelming more... it's a factor of 2?

It provides a static synergy (rather than orbs, which are moving) for the tank to hit when they need it to proc Alkosh. Providing the group with more dps, killing things faster, meaning you need to actually do less healing, and providing more buffs to the group.

There's a reason that healers are wearing IA/Jorvulds in trials (neither of which buff "healing" specifically, other than the 2% in Jorvulds), it's because we're there to provide buffs for the group, and some healing when they need it. End-game healing is like 60% buffs and 40% heals

Nightblade and Dragonknights, are already in their roles as a DPS and as a Tank, thus the class unique buffs they provide are already in the group. Thus, NB's and DK's as healers, are redundant.

Shards are good for the tank, yes, as the tank of my group agrees with that claim...But, tanks rarely need to rely on Shards to sustain (at least one of the tanks of my group doesn't require it). Dependant on whatever healer you are choosing, you're sacrificing something and not all of the Warden buffs will be utilized due to some of them being primarily inside of the support tree (where DPS shouldn't be using these skills in the first place). I still beg to differ that Templar is the 'end-all-be-all' they seem like a 'beginner' healer to me which some rather stick with. I'd rather a Warden over a Templar personally.

Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Energy Orb IV

Let's look at Shards

Same with shards.

Wardens are better healers than Templars, dude. Sorry, but the only unique thing about Templars is literally their fancy glowsticks. lol

You will notice, that I never once said, that Templars were the absolute "best healers" I've even admitted that NB healers can "outheal" a templar. I'm arguing from a group synergy, and group composition to make the best possible raid group. In that case, templars are undeniably in the top 2 of classes.

I do not appreciate when people put words in my mouth.
    Options
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Energy Orb IV

Let's look at Shards

Same with shards.

You will notice, that I never once said, that Templars were the absolute "best healers" I've even admitted that NB healers can "outheal" a templar. I'm arguing from a group synergy, and group composition to make the best possible raid group. In that case, templars are undeniably in the top 2 of classes.

I wouldn't put them at my top 2 classes, but clearly this is all dependant upon our guild and group's preferences in which our party cohesion is most likely vastly different. I think it's probably best that we agree to disagree.

Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

Energy Orb IV

Let's look at Shards

Same with shards.

I wouldn't put them at my top 2 classes, but clearly this is all dependant upon our guild and group's preferences in which our party cohesion is most likely vastly different. I think it's probably best that we agree to disagree.

I admitted that as such. If your group is running off-class roles (no DK tank, no NB DPS), then yes, a NB healer or a DK healer can bring utility to the group. I find it extremely difficult to believe that this is the case though (since you said yourself that DKs make the best tanks, just guessing you have one of your tanks as a DK). You also are literally quoted as saying that Templars were the WORST class in the game for healers, that is undeniably, patently false. I can virtually guarantee that if I asked the healers in this game who have cleared all the HM PVE content, that Templar and Warden would finish 1/2, in some order, for the best class of healer. Sorc would be 3rd. NB and DK would be 4/5, in some order. Yes, it's opinion, but it's an opinion based on the collective knowledge of some extremely knowledgeable healers (much more so than myself)
    Options
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Races:

DC: Breton
    EP: Argonian
    AD: Altmer

As for classes...

The top 2 current healing classes are Templar and Warden. I started out healing in this game when the Warden was released and it's still my preferred healing class to date even though I made a Templar not long after.

I find Templar healing to be really natural and fluid compared to the Warden, who is more of a mobile healer and requires more positioning than the Templar. Yet I just can't shake this feeling when I'm on my Warden that I can outheal my Templar any day, and have more healing power with him. But that may be cuz he's my main and have more experience with him.

In the end though, if you're starting out healing in this game I would recommend the Templar for being beginner-friendly and the easiest class for the role. But the Warden is def a solid pick as well and on the same level as a Templar healer-wise
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
    Options
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Races:

DC: Breton
    EP: Argonian
    AD: Altmer

As for classes...

The top 2 current healing classes are Templar and Warden. I started out healing in this game when the Warden was released and it's still my preferred healing class to date even though I made a Templar not long after.

I find Templar healing to be really natural and fluid compared to the Warden, who is more of a mobile healer and requires more positioning than the Templar. Yet I just can't shake this feeling when I'm on my Warden that I can outheal my Templar any day, and have more healing power with him. But that may be cuz he's my main and have more experience with him.

In the end though, if you're starting out healing in this game I would recommend the Templar for being beginner-friendly and the easiest class for the role. But the Warden is def a solid pick as well and on the same level as a Templar healer-wise

Despite my personal opinion on Templars, this is very much true.

Templars are very beginner friendly, I personally just see them as "easy to play and easy to master" where Wardens are moreso "easy to play and hard to master".

Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently main a warden and used to main a templar. I also casually heal on DK, nighblade, and sorc. from my personal experience, Templar is the most versatile. regardless of what kind of group you are running with, whether its a very capable group of a bunch of random people who like to stand in bad, while they parse - I can manage them on my templar, even while wearing whatever sets i had leftover, after sending her kit over to my warden.

warden is great for all around buffing and comes close to my templar for dealing with "oh crap" scenarios, but she is a bit trickier to manage.

DK is fun as heck to heal with unless I have to compensate for "parsing in fire" dps, she just doesnt have the "oh crap" buttons that come anywhere near to what my templar etc have. her buffs also tend to be redundant a lot of the time

sorc has the best "oh crap" heal in the game. too bad its unsustainable and its the obly class based heal she has in her toolkit, which kinda makes her less fun for me. good buffs, but resource management is a killer

nightblade is... odd. I kinda like her still, but I liked her a LOT more pre refreshing path nerf. of all the healers I have - she is the one I enjoy the least..
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Both Luminous Shards and Energy Orb also share the same Synergy cooldown, so running them both conflicts with each other."

I can aim my shards right where I want them and they will sit there for a while to be used at the targets leisure. With my Templar I also use the Mystic Orbs and position myself so they float through the mob towards the players. I tend to over heal anyway so the heals from the Energy Orb really isn't needed. In a trial the other healer almost always has the Energy Orb anyway so doesn't matter. Both shards and orbs are a part of my regular rotation and often go unused so they might as well contribute a bit of damage. When they are needed they will be there. In trials it doesn't hurt to throw the other healer a shard from time to time.

I don't see the conflict. I put the shards right in front of who I think will need them and the orbs I float through the rest of the group. As an aside there are a few fights where the orbs fall through the floor so always good to have a back-up plan.

I have a Templar and a Warden both dedicated to healing. I have a couple of Nightblades I haven't used much lately. I might have to switch one over to healer and give it a try but when I get asked to join a group it is almost always my Templar healer they want.

If we were all being honest we would admit we tend to over heal in most situations anyway so the differences comes down to keeping the buffs up and there are plenty of buffs in the weapons and guild skill lines. When things go wrong the fast res time and added health for the res'd comes in handy.

Most groups in the game want to see a Templar healer so a Templar healer is a good place for a player just starting with healing. End game groups running for the leader board might want different classes but that has little affect on most players in the game.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

While not as good as it used to be (thanks to that stupid change to the way breath of life targets) it's still a pretty powerful heal that hits multiple targets instantly. It's very useful as a healer. So I'm not sure how you can make the claim Templar has the worse base class heals. It seems to me they have one of if not the best. Ritual is also nice. So is their healing ultimate when timed appropriately. So if there is a class that has better assortment of base class heals I haven't seen it.

Edited by Jeremy on December 21, 2018 6:45PM
    Options
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically any Class can grab a Resto staff & get it done!
    But Warden & Templar each have one of the Class tracks dedicated to it.

Warden throws a lot of Nature Magic, Templar tosses Holy Fire
    both are effective and fun, maybe try one of each?
    See what kind of Healer you prefer to be.
    B)
    Have Fun!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar, hands down. Warden is a close second, and then the rest of the classes just lag behind with their ability to provide potent healing over time and group utility.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    . Bretton is ok but with the high regen we run and more increased regen from CP the cost reduction Bretton offers falls behind.

This is just false. Percentage amps for regen also lead to diminishing returns as does cost reduction. There are far fewer sources of cost reduction though.
    This ^
    And also, the added spell resistance as a Breton helps with your suvivability as a healer.

It is close with a for a skill that costs 3200 (healing springs). However the cost reduction only occurs when a skill is used. The additional 200+ regen keeps on ticking even during a heavy attack or anything else.

It is not bad, but I would still take an arogonian first and high elf second.

To get 200 regen out of the 9% from a high elf, you would need to have a base regen of 2,222. You will never have this much, as a healer.

Realistically you are looking at a 9% buff to around 1k base regen, let's say you have a set on with 2 magic regen, that is 258. Base Magic recovery at CP160 is 514 and then add Witchmothers, which is another 319. There are almost no builds that will have more then that, so let's add those up, 514+258+319 and you get 1,088, 9% of that is 65. Average spell cost for magic users is around 3k, you get 96 magic saved from that, leading to an equivalent regen of 192.

Really now. Many competitive raid healers are running 2k and sometimes more. It is easy to obtain. You are leaving much out of the picture which of course benefits your argument. Mundus, jewelry enchants. Set bonus.

If you are going to do some math do real math.

To help you out, and cease any attempt to LOL at more than 2k sustain I provide the link below to VanaEvr Templar build that has over 2500 magicka regen and she heals for one of the best raid teams in the game, if not the best raid team. So again, real math for real healing. Not little 4 man dungeon stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhB9F4M6c_k&t=46s

She has jorvunns guidance and olorime on and 309 from the atro. This adds 567 base regen to the number in my last post. So 258 from olorime, 258 from jorvunns guidance, 514 base cp 160 and 319 from witchmothers. 514+258+319+258+309= 1665 and 9% of that is 149. You only get 149 regen. Which in cost reduction would be 75. Since you can cast a spell every second. This amount that Vana(who I have seen every video she has) runs is on the max end of what you can get in the game, outside of a lich proc, Most healers run far less, and the regen you get from this best case scenario is only as good as the realistic worse case for the 3% cost reduction from a Breton.

You do understand that the number you see in the character screen is not the base you regen of your toon right? It is what you get after all the percentage amps are multiplied by your base and then added back to the base. This leads to diminishing returns.

percent amps, like the 20% from pots and the 9% from being a high elf are additive, not multiplicative.

my warden healer is a nord, he runs 2k regen but that is after all percent amps. base would be 514(base)+124(set)+124(set)+319(food)+300(atro with 4 6.5% divines)= 1381 then all other percent amps are calculated off that and then added to it. like Flourish, 12% adds 166, Recovery from light armor, 24% cause i have on 6 light adds 331, 14% from cp adds 193, bringing the total to 2071. 9% more would only be 124 more regen.

so what happens is that the 1381 is the BASE regen and then all the other percent amps are ADDED up.
    like this

4878711bd7ac361df53260ae19f9cae5.png.

so the it would look like this, (514+124+124+319+300)* (36%+14%)= 690.5 and that would be ADDED to 1381, which then would be 2071 , with the 9% from a high elf, it would look like this, (514+124+124+319+300)* (45%+14%) = 814.79 , which then would be 2195, which is just a 6% increase in regen from 2071. come on people this is not hard math. it only gets worse the more percent regen you add.

with pots it would be (514+124+124+319+300)* (65%+14%) = 1091 and added to 1381 is 2472, only a 12% increase in regen. do you see what i mean yet?

cost reduction is also really easy to see, almost no one uses cost reduction glyphs on there jewlery, so most people only have the light armor passives since they took away the cp node oh so long ago. so 12% for most healers, as 6/1 is the best for mag healers. so even with diminishing returns, 3000- 12% is 2640 and 2540 * 3% is 79 mag saved on average. on the low end. would need 159 regen to make up for that. or 1767 base regen. or lets add 4% of worm too. so 2640-4% = 2534 and 2534 * 3% is 76. and 76 in regen terms is 152 and 136 is 9% of 1733. so you would need a base regen of 1733 to beat the 3% cost reduction of a breton with the most common set up. on the low end.

So trying to finagle you way out of the weak example of 1k regen you presented to now when you have to deal with what I presented. But you are still low balling the regen in your math. You toss in the potion buff as though that is part of what got her above 2500.

You are also wrong about 6/1 builds. That was tossed out the door when we could start with stave getting 2 set bonus slots. It is why healers use a full 2 pieces of monster sets these days.

Also you do not take into account that the cost reduction is lost during times no skills are used. Each pause or heavy attack that cost reduction is lost and can never be made up.

BTW, the difference with her regen if she was a bretton would be pretty close if not higher than what you have stated would be needed to compare to bretton, before pauses in use of skills. If anything you have merely demonstrated that it is close.
    Edited by idk on December 21, 2018 7:37PM
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's your guess, and it's not a good one.

Options
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's your guess, and it's not a good one.

k

Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I imagine that in terms of pure heals-per-second, wardens could be stronger than templars, because several of the Green Balance skills can be very cost-effective. But when does that start mattering -- trials?

My templar healers can have a nice rotation of 4 DPS skills -- Lightning Blockade, Spear/Shards, Purifying Light, and the underrated Reflective Light -- each of which provides additional benefits to the group as well. Channeled Focus' double benefit of sustain and resistances also helps make room on my skill bars.

Now, I've never healed anything harder than non-HM vWGT. And I've healed things on a sorcerer or warden that are almost as hard as what I've healed on a templar. Still ... for somebody starting out in healing, templar is a good way to go.
    Options