Best Class for a healer?

OmahaStylee
OmahaStylee
Soul Shriven
Still getting into the game. I'm starting to have more time to play, and i was wondering which Class/Race would be best to make a healer.

Best Answer

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still getting into the game. I'm starting to have more time to play, and i was wondering which Class/Race would be best to make a healer.

Templar I would say, because they have the Restoring Light line that gives you access to some nice heals (for PvE anyway). But Warden and Sorcerer also seem to be quite good at it as well.

Far as race - anything that contributes to your magicka in one way or the other should be good. My Templar healer is a high elf, mostly for the Magicka boost and recovery.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 21, 2018 3:51AM
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • CaiWenji
    CaiWenji
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first healer was high elf templar. It works well for me still.
    Options
  • Chibs
    Chibs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Breton/High Elf/Argonian are the best races for a healer. Templar is the easiest healer to get into and considered by many to be the best. Warden is up there as well and some people also like Sorcerer.
    Options
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian templar is best if you wanna drink potions non-stop, breton/altmer templar if not.
    Options
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka khajiit nightblade healer.
    Become less valuables due to the damage nerf but still fun to play.
    Edited by TempPlayer on December 21, 2018 4:05AM
    Options
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are new, you can’t go wrong with a magicka templar. They do a lot of damage when you are solo too.

The race doesn’t matter. Unless you know for a fact you love to raid and be on leaderboards for raids aka trials.
    Edited by max_only on December 21, 2018 4:13AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar is the most desirable healer for the most challenging content followed by Warden. Both offer different strengths.

Currently Argonian and High elf are the most desirable races. Bretton is ok but with the high regen we run and more increased regen from CP the cost reduction Bretton offers falls behind.

However, Zos is planning on rebalancing racial passives in 2019 and that could mean anything.
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . Bretton is ok but with the high regen we run and more increased regen from CP the cost reduction Bretton offers falls behind.

This is just false. Percentage amps for regen also lead to diminishing returns as does cost reduction. There are far fewer sources of cost reduction though.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Templar hands down, they have the best healing toolkit.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    PRX and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
    Options
  • sadlythebest
    sadlythebest
    ✭✭✭
    . Bretton is ok but with the high regen we run and more increased regen from CP the cost reduction Bretton offers falls behind.

This is just false. Percentage amps for regen also lead to diminishing returns as does cost reduction. There are far fewer sources of cost reduction though.
    This ^
    And also, the added spell resistance as a Breton helps with your suvivability as a healer.
    PC-NA

vMA Flawless/vHRC HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR/vBRP/vSS
    Options
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Khajiit DK healer is OP :D
    Options
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tempy, Warden, and Sorcy....

You can't go wrong with an argonian tempy but the others work for most content.

:)
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This ^
    And also, the added spell resistance as a Breton helps with your suvivability as a healer.

It is close with a for a skill that costs 3200 (healing springs). However the cost reduction only occurs when a skill is used. The additional 200+ regen keeps on ticking even during a heavy attack or anything else.

It is not bad, but I would still take an arogonian first and high elf second.
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

This ^

It is close with a for a skill that costs 3200 (healing springs). However the cost reduction only occurs when a skill is used. The additional 200+ regen keeps on ticking even during a heavy attack or anything else.

To get 200 regen out of the 9% from a high elf, you would need to have a base regen of 2,222. You will never have this much, as a healer.

Realistically you are looking at a 9% buff to around 1k base regen, let's say you have a set on with 2 magic regen, that is 258. Base Magic recovery at CP160 is 514 and then add Witchmothers, which is another 319. There are almost no builds that will have more then that, so let's add those up, 514+258+319 and you get 1,088, 9% of that is 65. Average spell cost for magic users is around 3k, you get 96 magic saved from that, leading to an equivalent regen of 192.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on December 21, 2018 6:28AM
    Options
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar, obvi.

But as a healer you get into many different situations with many different types of players, and the Breton race passives help your Templar be a bit more well-rounded in the support role while altmer race passives nudge it toward the dps role.
    Xbox NA
    Options
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    full healer templar
    dd/healer hybrid sorc
    tank/healer hybrid warden
    Options
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's article on races for healers ;D

healersgrove.blogspot.com

Best class race depends on how you mean? Right now Templar/Sorc/Warden at at the top competivetly but each one can be played. They offer different kinda of feeling with each class to explore in regards to healing.

Edited by Tasear on December 21, 2018 7:26AM
    Options
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really need to ask? Can't see your how glorious we are?
    j2JvyyJ.jpg
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar. One reason I haven't seen yet in this thread:

Healers are expected to use one of two "battery" skills: Blazing Spear/Luminous Shards (the two morphs of the Templar version), or "Orb" from the Undaunted skill line. The Templar version is available sooner and more fun to use.
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Templar and a Warden healer. I think the Templar is easier to play but that might be because I started with the Templar? When I am not healing and I go out and about in the world I can solo most the world bosses with my Templar by switching armor and a few skills. It takes a while to kill them but I can do it. So far I have only done a few on my Warden (actually two) so very few. Again that might simply be I haven't figured out my Warden yet.

I'm going to suggest both a Templar and a Warden. When you start running trials after a good run sometimes the group will decide to run again. If you have another healer to switch to you will get all the goodies again on the 2nd run.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    full healer templar
    dd/healer hybrid sorc
    tank/healer hybrid warden
    This, templar is the obvious for trials even if warden adds utility here.
    For dungeons sorcerer is very good as you do good damage and you should be an healer /DD hybrid here.
    Much weaker after murkmire as the strong shields and overload bar gave them more utility

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have been experimenting with a NB healer in our PvP raids and in a few fights he out healed the Templar healers...

Just saying. ;)
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This ^

To get 200 regen out of the 9% from a high elf, you would need to have a base regen of 2,222. You will never have this much, as a healer.

Realistically you are looking at a 9% buff to around 1k base regen, let's say you have a set on with 2 magic regen, that is 258. Base Magic recovery at CP160 is 514 and then add Witchmothers, which is another 319. There are almost no builds that will have more then that, so let's add those up, 514+258+319 and you get 1,088, 9% of that is 65. Average spell cost for magic users is around 3k, you get 96 magic saved from that, leading to an equivalent regen of 192.

Really now. Many competitive raid healers are running 2k and sometimes more. It is easy to obtain. You are leaving much out of the picture which of course benefits your argument. Mundus, jewelry enchants. Set bonus.

If you are going to do some math do real math.

To help you out, and cease any attempt to LOL at more than 2k sustain I provide the link below to VanaEvr Templar build that has over 2500 magicka regen and she heals for one of the best raid teams in the game, if not the best raid team. So again, real math for real healing. Not little 4 man dungeon stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhB9F4M6c_k&t=46s
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This ^

Really now. Many competitive raid healers are running 2k and sometimes more. It is easy to obtain. You are leaving much out of the picture which of course benefits your argument. Mundus, jewelry enchants. Set bonus.

If you are going to do some math do real math.

To help you out, and cease any attempt to LOL at more than 2k sustain I provide the link below to VanaEvr Templar build that has over 2500 magicka regen and she heals for one of the best raid teams in the game, if not the best raid team. So again, real math for real healing. Not little 4 man dungeon stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhB9F4M6c_k&t=46s

She has jorvunns guidance and olorime on and 309 from the atro. This adds 567 base regen to the number in my last post. So 258 from olorime, 258 from jorvunns guidance, 514 base cp 160 and 319 from witchmothers. 514+258+319+258+309= 1665 and 9% of that is 149. You only get 149 regen. Which in cost reduction would be 75. Since you can cast a spell every second. This amount that Vana(who I have seen every video she has) runs is on the max end of what you can get in the game, outside of a lich proc, Most healers run far less, and the regen you get from this best case scenario is only as good as the realistic worse case for the 3% cost reduction from a Breton.

You do understand that the number you see in the character screen is not the base you regen of your toon right? It is what you get after all the percentage amps are multiplied by your base and then added back to the base. This leads to diminishing returns.

percent amps, like the 20% from pots and the 9% from being a high elf are additive, not multiplicative.

my warden healer is a nord, he runs 2k regen but that is after all percent amps. base would be 514(base)+124(set)+124(set)+319(food)+300(atro with 4 6.5% divines)= 1381 then all other percent amps are calculated off that and then added to it. like Flourish, 12% adds 166, Recovery from light armor, 24% cause i have on 6 light adds 331, 14% from cp adds 193, bringing the total to 2071. 9% more would only be 124 more regen.

so what happens is that the 1381 is the BASE regen and then all the other percent amps are ADDED up.
    like this

4878711bd7ac361df53260ae19f9cae5.png.

so the it would look like this, (514+124+124+319+300)* (36%+14%)= 690.5 and that would be ADDED to 1381, which then would be 2071 , with the 9% from a high elf, it would look like this, (514+124+124+319+300)* (45%+14%) = 814.79 , which then would be 2195, which is just a 6% increase in regen from 2071. come on people this is not hard math. it only gets worse the more percent regen you add.

with pots it would be (514+124+124+319+300)* (65%+14%) = 1091 and added to 1381 is 2472, only a 12% increase in regen. do you see what i mean yet?

cost reduction is also really easy to see, almost no one uses cost reduction glyphs on there jewlery, so most people only have the light armor passives since they took away the cp node oh so long ago. so 12% for most healers, as 6/1 is the best for mag healers. so even with diminishing returns, 3000- 12% is 2640 and 2540 * 3% is 79 mag saved on average. on the low end. would need 159 regen to make up for that. or 1767 base regen. or lets add 4% of worm too. so 2640-4% = 2534 and 2534 * 3% is 76. and 76 in regen terms is 152 and 136 is 9% of 1733. so you would need a base regen of 1733 to beat the 3% cost reduction of a breton with the most common set up. on the low end.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on December 21, 2018 1:18PM
    Options
  • SvariBK
    SvariBK
    ✭✭
    I'd say argonian or breton Templar or Warden, and high elf sorcerer, but sorcer is very endgame oriented and you mostly run it because of the conduit synergy his kit offers. For a beginner I would definitely recommend to start a as Templar or Warden.
    BK-22 PC EU Player
    Tank & DD
    Options
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My healer PvE is a Warden.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    Options
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
    Options
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not overly fond of warden healers. The whole tool kit seems gimicky. I say this because the class revolves around maturation and increasing max health. However, the mushrooms are very position oriented so if your team is all over the map or the healer cannot accurately turn and target them they won't be as effective. Breath of life and hasty prayer for example have no such restrictions. You just press the button and everyone is healed within the radius. Budding seeds also requires more thoughtful use. You either have to wait six seconds (an eternity in a trial) or double cast it (lol) and again if your teammates' positioning is off its useless.Lotus is a damned good skill. I'll say that. Of course you can use weapon or guild abilities like springs and orbs and just point and spam. But so what? Any class can do that. Wardens only look good because they took toughness off Warhorn.
    Edited by TheGreatBlackBear on December 21, 2018 3:13PM
    Options
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer my Breton warden. Of course as a druid I prefer the look of plants and shrooms over golden holy light for heal visuals. I also have to work a bit harder (positioning, no insta smart target burst heal)) to heal some content than my templar but I prefer a challenge anyway.
    Options
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend Warden or Nightblade over Templar. Regardless of the claims here, Templar is actually the weakest healer in the entire game when compared to the other classes which have far better kits.

I've played all five classes as healer and it goes as follows...

1. Warden
    2. Nightblade
    3. Dragonknight
    4. Sorcerer
    5. Templar

And why is this the case?
    Because Templar healers literally provide nothing major to the group besides healing.

Templar may be useful for getting into healing in this game, but is it really that good for endgame? No. Warden is better.

Unlike before where Templars had Major Mending which gave them a credible "OOMPH" or their shards which were locked to just them (which can now be easily replaced with Necrotic Orb which is entirely more useful on the healing variant), they pretty much offer nothing to the group besides healing and generally as any support in ESO your only job isn't to just heal/tank. You need to buff and support. Templars offer nothing from their base kit to the group besides just Minor Magicksteal or Minor Sorcery now (that purge synergy is useless and Effecient Purge is a better alternative to it). Warden is the current chief of buffing and healing at the same time instead of just being a mindless Templar who sits in the corner that spams Healing Springs (that's not the only thing you're supposed to do as a healer).

What do Dragonknights or Nightblades offer which are more superior to that of Templar? Well, not only do Nightblades heal better than Templars, they can also grant Major Expedition (which is useful for Veteran Scalecaller or Fang Lair), they also have better resource management, ult gen (for barrier or warhorn) and have more useful passives for healing or self-survivability (which is also important when you're healing). Dragonknight Healers also have better ult generation, self-survivability and can grant both Major/Minor Brutality/Sorcery to the group unlike Templar which only grants Minor Sorcery.

Essentially, Templars not only have the worse base class heals (and pretty much rely entirely on the Restoration staff), but they lack a lot of the fancy support stuff which the other classes above have, they lack the ult generation, they lack the resources/sustain and have a HIGH COST OHSH*** BURSTHEAL SKILL (Breath of Life is very expensive now compared to the other classes above). I highly recommend Warden since it grants a lot of useful buffs to the group or Nightblade since Nightblade is relatively easier than people think it is.

Unlike Dragonknights who will always be the best tank, Templars have fell from grace after their many nerfs to their healing capabilities.

Most people who claim Templar healer is the best healer don't even play the role and are just DPS who desperately beg for shards every minute.

Edited by Claudman on December 21, 2018 3:42PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
    Options