Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it time to change the CP system?

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system needs a change
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    People are too attached to their cp so support for this will be minimal. It makes up for their builds weaknesses and makes imbalance in pvp even worse. Balancing around cp is the worst thing that has happened to this game and it needs to be replaced with something else.

Yeah, I think the game would be better without cp, at least in pvp. Albeit, I don’t see them removing cp anytime soon simply because the player base is too accustomed to cp. But they could remove cp and give players the power back in other ways.

if we offed the cp and added a level increase from vr16 to lets vr20 would you feel ok about it? it couldbe a decent way to keep the game going while removing something that is completly out of control

I didn’t like the VR system, mostly the grind and expensive mats. Oh can’t forget the battle leveling system back then.

If they remove cp and add a better veteran system that actually adds to progression I wouldn’t mind.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeHarrt91 wrote: »
    I like a lot of the passives that are in the CP tree like wind runner, master harvester etc, so maybe removing the 15%/25% etc buff to damage, healing and replace them with more less potent passive would be ideal.

I’m for this. This is what I meant by quality of life changes. Although I’m not sure they could remove damage and healing percentages but they could give more incentive to spread points out.

Or maybe turn the 15%/25% constellations into passives like the others, so instead of spending 65 in Mighty to get 12% you can spend 60 CP in that tree to grant 10%.
    So basically add more passives in addition to the ones you get at 10, 30, 75 and 120.

That could work, instead of directly putting points into it, players would have to unlock it like the other passives. They could do this by adding more milestones to unlock passives.

Edit : scratch that last part, quickly forgot you said that already. *facepalm*
    Edited by CatchMeTrolling on December 3, 2018 1:58AM
  • BoneShatterer
    BoneShatterer
    ✭✭✭
    Remove CP
    People are too attached to their cp so support for this will be minimal. It makes up for their builds weaknesses and makes imbalance in pvp even worse. Balancing around cp is the worst thing that has happened to this game and it needs to be replaced with something else.

Yeah, I think the game would be better without cp, at least in pvp. Albeit, I don’t see them removing cp anytime soon simply because the player base is too accustomed to cp. But they could remove cp and give players the power back in other ways.

if we offed the cp and added a level increase from vr16 to lets vr20 would you feel ok about it? it couldbe a decent way to keep the game going while removing something that is completly out of control

I didn’t like the VR system, mostly the grind and expensive mats. Oh can’t forget the battle leveling system back then.

If they remove cp and add a better veteran system that actually adds to progression I wouldn’t mind.

there is no difference between VR1-vr16 and cp10-cp810 its a level grind turned into a joke to keep you grinding. mats werent expensive if you farmed them. random spots on the ground and free exp at the same time, deconstructing gears and forcing chests .
    but i admit that at the start.. [paying 10k golds for a freaking stack of iron ore was expensive *** until bethesda//zenimax decided to permaban the bots and gold diggers

[EDIT] alsi if i remember well, youtube seems to have amnesia cuz i cant refind the videos, we could totally instances once we had the gears for our builds and that we had mastered our classes and boss encouters patterns we didnt need 500cp to do it we had none
    Edited by BoneShatterer on December 3, 2018 3:01AM
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a lot of the passives that are in the CP tree like wind runner, master harvester etc, so maybe removing the 15%/25% etc buff to damage, healing and replace them with more less potent passive would be ideal.

I’m for this. This is what I meant by quality of life changes. Although I’m not sure they could remove damage and healing percentages but they could give more incentive to spread points out.

Or maybe turn the 15%/25% constellations into passives like the others, so instead of spending 65 in Mighty to get 12% you can spend 60 CP in that tree to grant 10%.
    So basically add more passives in addition to the ones you get at 10, 30, 75 and 120.

That could work, instead of directly putting points into it, players would have to unlock it like the other passives. They could do this by adding more milestones to unlock passives.

And i would think that more static flat calculations would be a bit better for performance but i honestly dont know lol
    PS NA
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The System is fine as it is
    CP PvP is not really unbalanced. Actually I think no CP is more unbalanced and cheesy now. At one time it was definitely the other way around but things changed. I don’t really mind the feeling of not progressing too much from a power standpoint. I can still progress in skill in PvP and I like having CP to play around with when it comes to fine tuning builds. Because of diminishing returns, the power creep is becoming less and less. Sets and abilities are more OP than CP.
    Edited by Vapirko on December 3, 2018 4:16AM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

there is no difference between VR1-vr16 and cp10-cp810 its a level grind turned into a joke to keep you grinding. mats werent expensive if you farmed them. random spots on the ground and free exp at the same time, deconstructing gears and forcing chests .
    but i admit that at the start.. [paying 10k golds for a freaking stack of iron ore was expensive *** until bethesda//zenimax decided to permaban the bots and gold diggers

[EDIT] alsi if i remember well, youtube seems to have amnesia cuz i cant refind the videos, we could totally instances once we had the gears for our builds and that we had mastered our classes and boss encouters patterns we didnt need 500cp to do it we had none

Have to remember cp added more perks to play with while the VR system was just a grind with little benefit to it.

When zos introduced cp they basically rescaled the game in a sense, then when One Tamriel released they did more rescaling for overland content. During the time of vr the game worked in a way that favored vr ranks, cp wasn’t required.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And i would think that more static flat calculations would be a bit better for performance but i honestly dont know lol

It would probably help performance a little but I’m not entirely sure it’s linked to cp. Think the servers need work. In open world pvp the lag still happened with no cp. Maybe if they added bigger bgs, we could see if cyrodiil is the problem.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I cant believe im saying this...but I want Vet Ranks back!...yes I know I was an ultra pro CP fanboii...but seeing it how it affected the game makes me regret every second of it...and le ts face It due to the current CP system crafting is pretty much dead from the CP10-140 range...literally u can grind with purple lvl 30 stuff till 160 also its no point doing it twice since after that once u hit 50 u basically get ur overall CP...sure an overhaul would be good...but then the question...how? I am already aware that the game its in a very sorry state and the population is in a huge decline especially from murkmire...lets say they bring back vet ranks or idk increase gear cap that would be pretty much the final nail since a lot of people dont want to go back grinding VMA and stuff...however I wouldn't be 100% against it...after all that might refresh the market a bit and the community perhaps? it feels that people turned into porcelain figures...they just stand there and be pretty... oh well this is pointless discussion to begin with since CP wont be changed from what it is and ZOS will only due slight tweaks to it but nothing major...

I didn’t think of the crafting part but that is true. Most gear that’s created that’s not cp 160 is non vet gear for leveling or pvp. Thinking back to vet ranks it was actually a nice period for the game besides all the extra grinding. CP wise it was just right even with the stam and magic bias in the trees. The population was crazy back then as well. Although I think it’s too late to turn back because now it’s a lot of different players and I think zos knows that. So they must tailor the game towards them.

I don’t think it’s a pointless discussion. It’s one that must happen between the community and definitely a discussion ZOS will have. If anyone expects the CP system to stay the same for the next 3 years I don’t know what to tell them.

VR was great on my first character and fine on my second. By the third it was a bit much. I wouldn't have bother with the other alts beyond making them mules and writ-doers.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    CP PvP is not really unbalanced. Actually I think no CP is more unbalanced and cheesy now. At one time it was definitely the other way around but things changed. I don’t really mind the feeling of not progressing too much from a power standpoint. I can still progress in skill in PvP and I like having CP to play around with when it comes to fine tuning builds. Because of diminishing returns, the power creep is becoming less and less. Sets and abilities are more OP than CP.

I think both are unbalanced just in different ways. No cp is mostly unbalanced because of the changes made with cp in mind. It’s just not realistic to balance both pve, cp pvp and no cp at once.

There’s no issue with a slow power creep via cp. The issue with cp, well one of the issues is the fact since it’s slow NOW there’s little progression. Like I said already, gear acts more like progression currently and even you pretty much hinted at that.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    I cant believe im saying this...but I want Vet Ranks back!...yes I know I was an ultra pro CP fanboii...but seeing it how it affected the game makes me regret every second of it...and le ts face It due to the current CP system crafting is pretty much dead from the CP10-140 range...literally u can grind with purple lvl 30 stuff till 160 also its no point doing it twice since after that once u hit 50 u basically get ur overall CP...sure an overhaul would be good...but then the question...how? I am already aware that the game its in a very sorry state and the population is in a huge decline especially from murkmire...lets say they bring back vet ranks or idk increase gear cap that would be pretty much the final nail since a lot of people dont want to go back grinding VMA and stuff...however I wouldn't be 100% against it...after all that might refresh the market a bit and the community perhaps? it feels that people turned into porcelain figures...they just stand there and be pretty... oh well this is pointless discussion to begin with since CP wont be changed from what it is and ZOS will only due slight tweaks to it but nothing major...

I didn’t think of the crafting part but that is true. Most gear that’s created that’s not cp 160 is non vet gear for leveling or pvp. Thinking back to vet ranks it was actually a nice period for the game besides all the extra grinding. CP wise it was just right even with the stam and magic bias in the trees. The population was crazy back then as well. Although I think it’s too late to turn back because now it’s a lot of different players and I think zos knows that. So they must tailor the game towards them.

I don’t think it’s a pointless discussion. It’s one that must happen between the community and definitely a discussion ZOS will have. If anyone expects the CP system to stay the same for the next 3 years I don’t know what to tell them.

VR was great on my first character and fine on my second. By the third it was a bit much. I wouldn't have bother with the other alts beyond making them mules and writ-doers.

Exactly how I felt, liked the game in general but hated vr ranks. Stopped me from leveling multiple characters.

• LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

Exactly how I felt, liked the game in general but hated vr ranks. Stopped me from leveling multiple characters.

Yep i had 1-2 characters. then they introduced the change what when you hit level 50 you got all your CP and now i have at least 2 of every class
    PS NA
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    System is great and fine, just add a ton of more options!
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • Sleep
    Sleep
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    remove the cap
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i started playing ESO in 2014 long before CP was added, vr14 was the cap and that was it.we did absolutly fine and we had to master our classes and roles perfectly. even elitists couldnt be considered good since they had no way to be picky mouthed princesses about the player choices. nothing to make them feel so elite compared to now exept for their skills and that was it.

gears and dungeons //world bosses were also adjusted to this reality
    you had level 1-49 gears
    level 50 gears being broken since you could never get there since 50 was a free level up to VR1
    then you had VR1 to VR14 gears to be found in level specific zones; craglorn being vr12 iirc and a few vr14 spots i forgot, been so long...
    vr1-vr13 were instance based and vet mode instances
    VR14 gears was the weekly quest raid,helra, aetherian archives and pvp gears

now the gears are just meh at best, all the low level gears have an insane dmg output and you barely need to change them every 30-40 levels at best and it also affect crafting since we never need to change gears. level 1-4 gears to start level 30 to 40 then ding cp160.
    ALSO please take note that we barely need to change gears because the gears have been upsacled to match the CP160 dmg output, yes it also comes into the calculation, because gears are not outleveled or so to speak. we wont see a cp160 with level gear dmg because everything was scaled to this level when orsinium came out.

cp only allowed customisation of a specific role up to a point, wich was fine but again... lame players and the elitist princesses complained so much that it was increased and increased and increased. I OPENLY ADMIT THAT 3600 CP AT THE START WAS MENTAL but oh so hilarious to look at, my former account had 430 something cp .
    With cp always going up and content getting way too easy its a very vicous circle that turned into a cash grab and to allow the elite to have more elitism in their life they willing spend money to get that....

in my opinion CP should be removed just to make the game actually challenging but then again i will get hate from die hard , elite and lame players because i said so.

and when i say removed i mean PERMANENTLY! no loopholes, no work around to buy the right. PERMANENTLY ERASED FROM THE BETHESDA AND ZENIMAX CORE SYSTEM

and no matther how you look at it
    level 1-49
    no level 50 since zenimax and bethesda ran out of money to make this level and had to prompt us a free level up to VR1//cp10
    vr1-vr16 or the elite cp10 cp160 but CP no more reverts to VR16 and hone your skills.

personnaly i would be ok with getting rid of CP and adding a few more levels to the cap. from vr16 to lets say vr20 or even vr25 with content being more adjusted for the levels

The VR system was a functioning system . the game played far far better there was more challenge and skill. CP is a broken very rudimentary alternate advancement system. Ive not seen a MMO yet that almost 5 years post launch left their AA system a single layered passive concept. by this point the MMO's usually have several layers in it and it usually will be leading you into picking a roll and your choices have merit on the way you chose to play.

The lazy way this game has chosen to manage its post launch content since 2016 leads me to believe they have no intention of emergent game play. they will continue to throw this copy and paste chapter content and dlc's at us until we wont by them anymore .when the profit margin recedes so much they chose to close the doors or make the game a complete free to play game and sell it to another lame company. I never thought SOE would sell its EQ franchise but they did and closed their doors and sony corporation has far more money then bethseda. its reall obvious ZOS and bethseda are not doubling down on this game as its sat at a very stagnate place. With one tam and their horizontal progression they dont have to emerge anything they can play the ever changing meta game on us with patches and new sets for ever. It costs them nothing in development dollars this way. I would be fine with it if they called the spdae a spade. but they charge you like its premium content when in reality its content that other MMO's with smaller budgets gave you for free. after FO76 Bethseda has made it very clear they are now the new EA.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    snip

I voted Other.

What I think would be a cool Idea would be a prestige class system.

Once you hit a certain threshold of CP, a new menu becomes available where you can further specialize based on your Class. For example, you could add additional bonuses to your class skills. Since CP currently is generic and applies to all classes in the same way, i'd like to see something that applies exclusively to the class you are playing.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actualy it is not fine, it is bad imo. But it separates non cp newer players with max cp old players at pvp.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lower the cap for CP
    600 CP felt like a good balance of power upgrades vs. challenge. CP bonuses made trials easier, but overland wasn't quite as "dead healfway through 1 skill execute" like 810.

And please hide our actual CP from everyone. There is no reason anyone needs to see it.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on December 3, 2018 6:17PM
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    I do a fair amount of BG's so I don't really care one way or the other but I do feel it needs a tweak or two, or three...

I too predominantly do bgs, I care because whatever changes they make to the overall combat system is done with CP in mind.

So this creates problems in no cp, such as when proc sets could crit and did even more damage than they do now. A recent buff that is very noticeable in bgs is the light attack buff. Something like 4K plus light attacks is bad when you consider the average health a player has is 20k. Combined with procs some builds simply light attack and heavy attack for their main spammable.

Even the glyph proc change is more noticeable in bgs.

I hear ya @CatchMeTrolling . I think ZOS needs to consider overhauling the current CP system for the so many obvious reasons. I believe a healthy CP or whatever "new" system would make the overall masses happier depending on the change (not everyone will ever be happy). I did selfishly say I didn't really care, but I do find value in community happiness when it comes to good change. I hope ZOS hears everyone!
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »
    snip

I voted Other.

Once you hit a certain threshold of CP, a new menu becomes available where you can further specialize based on your Class. For example, you could add additional bonuses to your class skills. Since CP currently is generic and applies to all classes in the same way, i'd like to see something that applies exclusively to the class you are playing.

Would be a nice feature but they probably would have to make changes to the 3 skill line system for it to work. That’ll help avoid overpowered specs. I can see a class system being a decent feature, especially if it brings unique customization.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do a fair amount of BG's so I don't really care one way or the other but I do feel it needs a tweak or two, or three...

I too predominantly do bgs, I care because whatever changes they make to the overall combat system is done with CP in mind.

So this creates problems in no cp, such as when proc sets could crit and did even more damage than they do now. A recent buff that is very noticeable in bgs is the light attack buff. Something like 4K plus light attacks is bad when you consider the average health a player has is 20k. Combined with procs some builds simply light attack and heavy attack for their main spammable.

Even the glyph proc change is more noticeable in bgs.

I hear ya CatchMeTrolling . I think ZOS needs to consider overhauling the current CP system for the so many obvious reasons. I believe a healthy CP or whatever "new" system would make the overall masses happier depending on the change (not everyone will ever be happy). I did selfishly say I didn't really care, but I do find value in community happiness when it comes to good change. I hope ZOS hears everyone!

I think most of the people that don’t want change are either scared it would be a terrible change or they only care about using the cp they earned over time. Change doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing. If zos goes about it the right way they can introduce something new and better by the next chapter.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    600 CP felt like a good balance of power upgrades vs. challenge. CP bonuses make trials easier, but overland wasn't quite as "dead healfway through 1 skill execute" like 810.

And please hide our actual CP from everyone. There is no reason anyone needs to see it.

Content has gotten noticeably easier, that’s why you see more cheap mechanics in group content.

I agree, there should be an option to hide it. This would also lessen new players being targets in pvp. Plus, there could be less elitism and new players being put off by the big numbers they see.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    snip

I voted Other.

Would be a nice feature but they probably would have to make changes to the 3 skill line system for it to work. That’ll help avoid overpowered specs. I can see a class system being a decent feature, especially if it brings unique customization.

Indeed, it would offer more depth to class builds since currently there is too much homogenization. While reviewing builds online, I see similar setups for all stam builds, and all magicka builds. It is getting to the point where classes are losing their identity and need to be brought back to their uniqueness. With the idea I proposed, it might encourage people to use more Class Skills, rather than relying too heavily on the best Weapon Skills.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    snip

I voted Other.

Indeed, it would offer more depth to class builds since currently there is too much homogenization. While reviewing builds online, I see similar setups for all stam builds, and all magicka builds. It is getting to the point where classes are losing their identity and need to be brought back to their uniqueness. With the idea I proposed, it might encourage people to use more Class Skills, rather than relying too heavily on the best Weapon Skills.

That’s one of the things that stand out in this game, there’s a small portion of bis builds and the same gear is used, even for the class skills there’s bis skills. Think the skill lines in general need to be tweaked more.

• ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To what?
  • HallowedUndead
    Cp is levels obtained through years of playing, so no newbies gonna take that away from me. Not on my watch
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lower the cap for CP

Content has gotten noticeably easier, that’s why you see more cheap mechanics in group content.

I agree, there should be an option to hide it. This would also lessen new players being targets in pvp. Plus, there could be less elitism and new players being put off by the big numbers they see.

Why do you think content has gotten easier? It's because you're OP with CP. I'm having a blast leveling a new toon without CP. It IS easier, but that's a nice change from being roadkill until 50, and traveling overland was just a long slog through every mob.

CP has a place, but there's way too much of it now.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I enjoy the CP system. Of all the frustrating issues in this game, I don't think it's even in the ranking.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I vote leave as is, for now at least, but stop raising the cap (or reduce the amount it's raised dramatically).

Then create some content specifically designed to be challenging to players with CP whatever-the-hell-cap-is-now-I-can't-remember-anymore so the people really struggling to find challenges due to power creep have something they enjoy.

Am I convinced this is a good idea? No. But it's at least worth thinking about. 120 CP a year is a lot when all the mobs in game are stuck at 160.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on December 4, 2018 7:12PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To what?

Not sure what you’re asking

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cp is levels obtained through years of playing, so no newbies gonna take that away from me. Not on my watch

I don’t think you read the OP or any of the thread. This isn’t about new players specifically.